Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Laptop Vs. Desktop - Poll

WindelyWindely Posts: 652 Member
So do you guys play Sims (and other games if you want) on a laptop or a desktop?
I play with a laptop, but it gets hot fast after I start playing. I know there is a laptop mode actually to play the game (which probably would help this) but I never tried because the graphics turn much lower quality. I suppose the desktop doesn't offer the same issue. I'm sorry if you feel I'm 🐸🐸🐸🐸, but I don't know much about these technical things. smiley-computer001.gif
Dina Caliente. ♡ TS2. ♡ Nina Caliente.

Comments

• luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    Laptops will get hot fast playing this game if they're to the lower end of the game specs and being pushed on their graphics. I wouldn't play this game on anything but a mid- to high-end gaming laptop, and certainly not without a cooling pad.

A desktop can also overheat if it's not up to spec (though you can go lower in specs on a desktop than a laptop, because of how they're built), especially if they are actually an all-in-one (lousy cooling), in a thin case (less-than-ideal cooling), confined (desktops need air, for cooling), or dusty inside. The other advantage a desktop (not an all-in-one) has is that you can replace individual parts when they fall out of date -- in the last year, I've replaced my power supply and my case (I upgraded to a quieter one), and added an SSD, and I'm looking at new graphics cards, all of which still costs me less than buying a gaming laptop would.

Thought it would be nice to play on my lap on the sofa sometimes. But that's what I sometimes buy a lottery ticket instead of a coffee for.

If you're thinking about replacing your laptop before it gets permanently heat-damaged, you can post here about where you are and what kind of budget you have, and get some help picking out a new setup.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • 0Chloe0Chloe Posts: 1,922 Member
    I play on a laptop, but I am moving to a desktop. I only play on a laptop because I had to, financially. Now, I don't need to.
    nR9bj3xc5JPW0.gif
  • WindelyWindely Posts: 652 Member
    edited August 2015
    Laptops will get hot fast playing this game if they're to the lower end of the game specs and being pushed on their graphics. I wouldn't play this game on anything but a mid- to high-end gaming laptop, and certainly not without a cooling pad.

A desktop can also overheat if it's not up to spec (though you can go lower in specs on a desktop than a laptop, because of how they're built), especially if they are actually an all-in-one (lousy cooling), in a thin case (less-than-ideal cooling), confined (desktops need air, for cooling), or dusty inside. The other advantage a desktop (not an all-in-one) has is that you can replace individual parts when they fall out of date -- in the last year, I've replaced my power supply and my case (I upgraded to a quieter one), and added an SSD, and I'm looking at new graphics cards, all of which still costs me less than buying a gaming laptop would.

Thought it would be nice to play on my lap on the sofa sometimes. But that's what I sometimes buy a lottery ticket instead of a coffee for.

If you're thinking about replacing your laptop before it gets permanently heat-damaged, you can post here about where you are and what kind of budget you have, and get some help picking out a new setup.
    Thanks. The thing is my laptop is pretty good. I spent a lot of money on it. I'm not saying is the best computer to play games out there, but I actually bought it for this purpose, as well. I also play with a cooling pad. Previously I had another laptop (which was also good, but not as good) and it got destroyed because of over heating. And it's not like I spend an entire day playing games. Not at all. I used to play a lot of hours with TS2 (with a desktop), but not anymore with TS4.
    Windely wrote: »

Thanks. The thing is my laptop is pretty good. I spent a lot of money on it. I'm not saying is the best computer to play games out there, but I actually bought it for this purpose, as well. I also play with a cooling pad. Previously I had another laptop (which was also good, but not as good) and it got destroyed because of over heating. And it's not like I spent an entire day playing games. Not at all. I used to play a lot of hours with TS2 (with a desktop), but not anymore with TS4.

Maybe post your DxDiag info? There might be something else there other than specs. Export it to a text file, and copy and paste it all here. It will take multiple posts, but that's okay. Here's how: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/13329932/#Comment_13329932
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.

Thanks. The thing is my laptop is pretty good. I spent a lot of money on it. I'm not saying is the best computer to play games out there, but I actually bought it for this purpose, as well. I also play with a cooling pad. Previously I had another laptop (which was also good, but not as good) and it got destroyed because of over heating. And it's not like I spent an entire day playing games. Not at all. I used to play a lot of hours with TS2 (with a desktop), but not anymore with TS4.

Maybe post your DxDiag info? There might be something else there other than specs. Export it to a text file, and copy and paste it all here. It will take multiple posts, but that's okay. Here's how: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/13329932/#Comment_13329932
    Sorry, but I don't really want to post that here. I suppose I can go to a store and ask about it. But thanks. smiley-happy088.gif

• AyradyssAyradyss Posts: 910 Member
    I play The Sims (and everything) on a desktop. IMO, the term "gaming laptop" is something of an oxymoron. Laptops are just not really well-suited to gaming. That's not to say that there aren't laptops that are -capable- of it. But the ones that really are capable are very expensive and they still will not equal desktop performance -- certainly not dollar per dollar, and likely not even discounting the monetary aspect.

There are sound, logical reasons for this: Most have to do with miniaturization and power/heat. Laptops use 'mobile' components -- essentially redesigned versions of the full-sized components used in desktops. These mobile components often have lower clock rates than their full-sized counterparts -- mostly to lower power consumption which is important when running on a battery, as well as an important means of lowering heat output because a laptop doesn't have a big airy case inside to allow for cooling.

On top of that, there are considerations like upgrade options -- laptops just typically don't have many. Again, the miniaturization and lack of space inside are the main reasons. For the most part, you have to be prepared to pay top dollar to get a laptop that will run games well, and then pay that top dollar again and again to buy a completely new laptop when it comes time to upgrade capabilities. Desktops are much more modular and can be upgraded by the user relatively easily, and for much less money.

It's true, I can't toss my full-tower desktop in my backpack and take it on-the-go, but there's always a trade-off. It just depends on what's really the most important feature of your system -- performance, price, portability, etc.
    Pay for product -- not potential!
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member

Sorry, but I don't really want to post that here. I suppose I can go to a store and ask about it. But thanks. smiley-happy088.gif

all luthienrising is asking is for you to post your computer specs. Its not any kind of personal info. There are issues with this game and laptops heating up High end ones. Its something in a patch. It does it to my high end laptop. We can help you if you post your computer specs.
  • JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    I play all my games on desktop PC. Including Sims 4.

I did buy a laptop way back for certain reasons and it had GT 740M inside (could actually run Sims 4 on ultra), but all I did was testing some Sims 4 bugs on it because I wasn't sure what were those about and if are hardware specific (purple lens case and bloated savegames).
    But couldn't ever persuade myself into playing games on it. So I gifted the "crapware" to my sister, she's happy with it. ;)

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'll never buy a laptop again.
  • Destin2016Destin2016 Posts: 568 Member
    I play TS4 on my new laptop, but I'm waiting on my custom gaming desktop! I can't play TS3 on my laptop.
    You like me because I'm a scoundrel. There aren't enough scoundrels in your life.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    I play it on my laptop. I had to get a gaming laptop with two fans in it so it wouldn't overheat so much. I also use a cooling fan. :P
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • cherparcherpar Posts: 2,092 Member
    I always had laptops, up until recently. They were needed as laptops for travel etc. Since I had to replace mine, and got advice here, they recommended a desktop for gaming. It's better value for money and there are more options. The desktop is great for gaming! I must admit, though, I miss the laptop a little. I can't move the desktop around if someone is staying in the room my desktop is.. But that's not all that often. I also dream of playing in bed, but that was not sensible reality as a gaming laptop needs a cooling pad...

It's ok to post your dxdiag but if you are not ok with it, all good. You could try to monitor your computer to see how hot it gets during play, with software. I have no idea about this but I'll ask @chesterbigbird to advise - only if you wish to see if the game is taxing your computer too much and that's why it's hot. There are also plenty of threads where people post computer specs, just in case that makes you feel more comfertable about doing so.
    edited August 2015
    I don't really want to post dxdiag. But I have an Asus n56v.
    edited August 2015

That's a decent machine but might be running into Nvidia issues. @phoebebebe13? I think that's this: http://www.cnet.com/products/asus-n56vz-qh71-15-6-core-i7-3630qm-windows-8-8-gb-ram-750-gb-hdd/specs/

@Windely, read your own DxDiag to check for the dates of the drivers. Anything older than a few months might need updating.
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,022 Member
    edited August 2015
    I have played the Sims on both a laptop and desktop but strongly prefer playing on a desktop, because well I just like it better. :) Laptops are great for playing the Sims while traveling though.

Desktop Pros

- Bigger screen
    - Separate mouse & keyboard
    - A lot better graphics
    - More memory storage
    - Does not overheat as quickly (Maybe it just depends, but does not)
    - It just has a lot better strength to play games than a laptop

Laptop Pros

- Portable, which is great for trips.
    - Light Weight (obviously LOL!)

I love my laptop, but I primarily use it for school -- gaming not so much. Honestly, it is just whatever you are used to. :)

Edit: Added more stuff.
    TS3 Username: XxEquestrian95xX
    I became an
    "own the store" member on February 27, 2016. Thank you so much, everyone!

Do you enjoy saving SimPoints?
    If so, check out the following threads for more info
    : Free Kids Items - Animals Abound Cascade CascadesDaily Deals ( DD Spreadsheet )

NzEguYNjKIUMw.gif
  • Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,453 Member
    edited August 2015
    Franny wrote: »
    I have played the Sims on both a laptop and desktop but strongly prefer playing on a desktop, because well I just like it better. :) Laptops are great for playing the Sims while traveling though.

Desktop Pros

- Bigger screen
    - A lot better graphics
    - More memory storage

Laptop Pros

I love my laptop, but I primarily use it for school -- gaming not so much. Honestly, it is just whatever you are used to. :)

There are some heavy laptops (and some [MSI mostly...] are advertised as lightweight, but in reality, they're not. :D) .

This MSI GT80 Titan is a good example... (And the only laptop that is worth its price in my opinion. :D)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152807

You do get the same upgrade-ability as desktops, but not as easy. MSI prefers that you get help when upgrading the GPU/CPU in it.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
    I'm sure they're all lighter than my first laptop, @Colton147147. It weighed just under ... 10 pounds, I think? It had a 10GB hard drive, though! (I could have spent even more money and had a 20GB hard drive, but we couldn't think what use that would be.) Maybe they just mean, well, it's lightweight as laptops have gone, historically speaking :D
    edited August 2015
    I'm sure they're all lighter than my first laptop, @Colton147147. It weighed just under ... 10 pounds, I think? It had a 10GB hard drive, though! (I could have spent even more money and had a 20GB hard drive, but we couldn't think what use that would be.) Maybe they just mean, well, it's lightweight as laptops have gone, historically speaking :D

The lighest laptop ever made is Lenovo's LaVie Z (it has beat Apple's fanless Macbook).
    http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/lavie/

And much more powerful than the fanless Macbook if I am not mistaken. :)
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member

That's a decent machine but might be running into Nvidia issues. @phoebebebe13? I think that's this: http://www.cnet.com/products/asus-n56vz-qh71-15-6-core-i7-3630qm-windows-8-8-gb-ram-750-gb-hdd/specs/

@Windely, read your own DxDiag to check for the dates of the drivers. Anything older than a few months might need updating.

Windely on page 8 in this thread there are programs you can download for free. You need to monitor our temperatures GPU and CPU and report back what your temps are reading http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/820877/nvidia-cards-high-fans-high-heat-patch-and-or-oigin-update-causing-possible-issues/p8

Also how long have you had he game on this laptop and when did the heat issue start? Are your fans racing?
    Windely on page 8 in this thread there are programs you can download for free. You need to monitor our temperatures GPU and CPU and report back what your temps are reading http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/820877/nvidia-cards-high-fans-high-heat-patch-and-or-oigin-update-causing-possible-issues/p8

Also how long have you had he game on this laptop and when did the heat issue start? Are your fans racing?

You can also use Piriform's Speccy for easy access to specs.
    https://www.piriform.com/speccy/download
  • CororonCororon Posts: 4,274 Member
    Desktop. I can upgrade it when I want and have good cooling.
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    I think this thread is likely made by Colton... But then I noticed it wasn't...
    Source: lots of 'bleh vs meh' threads c
    Franny wrote: »

Desktop Pros

- Bigger screen
    - A lot better graphics
    - More memory storage

Laptop Pros

Good point, laptops were made mainly for portability :)
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!
  • emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member

You can also use Piriform's Speccy for easy access to specs.
    https://www.piriform.com/speccy/download

Dxdiag is easier... Tbh
    Plus asus rogs (why am I even pointing this out) come with a built in fan checker program... If that's what you meant, but not everyone has an asus rog...
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!
  • aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    I'm currently playing it on a desktop. I feel that desktops have better durability when it comes to gaming. Although I would really like to get a gaming laptop so I could travel with it, desktops just last longer imo.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• moiveholicemoiveholice Posts: 11 New Member
    I prefer laptop over desktop as it is convenient to carry and use
    edited August 2015

Well, I did that. But all the drivers in there are supposed to be from 2015? Because in the NVIDIA section a lot of them are from 2013 (the year I bought the computer).