Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should pre teens be able to have romance?

Comments

• Anemone7Anemone7 Posts: 3,950 Member
    edited August 2015
    I want pre-teens to be the age group that wants to be like an adult or at least a teen. Pre-teens should steal their big sisters make-up and be totally mad if they are not allowed to go to a party.
    They also should have acne sometimes (teens should, too, but i would be ok if it would be restricted to pre-teens).
    Crushes would belong in that category of things they are technically too young for, so i would like that. But instead of really having relationships, it would be cute if they would get a strong embarrassed moodlet if they are in the near of the sim they like.
    I also would love it if they chose their crushes themselves.
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    sounds cute, with them having crushes and going into puberty. Girls could experience zits and guys have voice cracks since their voices are getting deeper.
    giphy.gif

• hnj4xxhnj4xx Posts: 14 New Member
    nah, the stage would only last for like 3 days. i'm more concerned about toddlers.
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    hnj4xx wrote: »
    nah, the stage would only last for like 3 days. i'm more concerned about toddlers.

Toddlers and Preteens were said to be featured in the generations expansion survey. However I seriously doubt they wouldn't patch toddlers in.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Jaysim88Jaysim88 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Tricky one to ask as I thought pre teen meant your not a child but also not a teen. So I'm not sure really. As kids cant and teens can what falls inbetween.
  • FleurkweenFleurkween Posts: 235 Member
    I think they should be able to have crushes and cuddle but not be able to kiss or make out with other pre-teens. I find that slightly creepy in a sims game, allowing pre teens who are virtually children to kiss and make out.
    \cat%20with%20tea_zpsejebanah.jpg
  • pottergoosepottergoose Posts: 1,543 Member
    edited August 2015
    Yes to:
    Cuddle
    Innocent flirting
    Kiss
    Asking adults about dating

no to
    woohoo
    makeout
    Promise rings (stick with teens, too young
    Any kissing past your basic kiss interaction (no suave, passionate, etc)

I'm the one who gripped you tight and raised you from perdition
  • Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member
    I think I'd be extremely uncomfortable with anything more than a quick peck on the cheek between preteen sims.
  • Sim ShadySim Shady Posts: 297 Member
    I think my sort of cut-off point for 'romance' with preteens would be crushes because there's a ton of romantic interactions for teens anyway. I think the focus for them should be put more on things like going through emotional changes, maybe starting to find some of the friends they're going to keep once they get older, if there was anything celebrity-related put in, there could be fangirling over certain celebrities. Also, I think their relationships with family members could perhaps become more strained and awkward because of the changes they're going through, such as being more irritated by parents and siblings, and getting into more spontaneous arguments with them. There could also be more options on the computer, like setting up a profile on a social network or something like that (as adults can create social networks in TS4).
    duck.jpg
    edited August 2015
    Sim Shady wrote: »
    I think my sort of cut-off point for 'romance' with preteens would be crushes because there's a ton of romantic interactions for teens anyway. I think the focus for them should be put more on things like going through emotional changes, maybe starting to find some of the friends they're going to keep once they get older, if there was anything celebrity-related put in, there could be fangirling over certain celebrities.

Also, I think their relationships with family members could perhaps become more strained and awkward because of the changes they're going through, such as being more irritated by parents and siblings, and getting into more spontaneous arguments with them. There could also be more options on the computer, like setting up a profile on a social network or something like that (as adults can create social networks in TS4).

I like your ideas, and I agree that the focus should turn away from the romance. I think fangirling over celebrities would be an interesting social topics.

Somethings I'd want in a generations ep off the top of my head:

Kids and preteens should be able to throw sleep overs.
    New items like sleeping bags, microwave popcorn, teen heart-throb posters.
    Group movie watching (with new animations like stretching out on the floor, throwing popcorn)
    Preteens and teens should get bad zits.
    Teens, (not preteens) should be able to play spin the bottle and 7 minutes in heaven.
    Prom
    Active Babysitting career.
    Active Fast Food career.

New cas options:
    Braces
    Zits
    Dimples
    School Uniforms

• Jaysim88Jaysim88 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Sim Shady wrote: »
    I think my sort of cut-off point for 'romance' with preteens would be crushes because there's a ton of romantic interactions for teens anyway. I think the focus for them should be put more on things like going through emotional changes, maybe starting to find some of the friends they're going to keep once they get older, if there was anything celebrity-related put in, there could be fangirling over certain celebrities.

Also, I think their relationships with family members could perhaps become more strained and awkward because of the changes they're going through, such as being more irritated by parents and siblings, and getting into more spontaneous arguments with them. There could also be more options on the computer, like setting up a profile on a social network or something like that (as adults can create social networks in TS4).

I like your ideas, and I agree that the focus should turn away from the romance. I think fangirling over celebrities would be an interesting social topics.

Somethings I'd want in a generations ep off the top of my head:

Kids and preteens should be able to throw sleep overs.
    New items like sleeping bags, microwave popcorn, teen heart-throb posters.
    Group movie watching (with new animations like stretching out on the floor, throwing popcorn)
    Preteens and teens should get bad zits.
    Teens, (not preteens) should be able to play spin the bottle and 7 minutes in heaven.
    Prom
    Active Babysitting career.
    Active Fast Food career.

New cas options:
    Braces
    Zits
    Dimples
    School Uniforms

I like the sound of all of those ideas!!
  • pinkangelsimpinkangelsim Posts: 389 Member
    I think it would be funny to have a sassy trait the child that gets into mischief or is the anoying "little sister" "little brother" and maybe be able to pick a helpful trait " big sister" "big brother". It would be cute for them to have what use to be called "puppy dog love" a small crush that only last for a few days.It would be cute for them to hold hands, kiss on the cheek, have a first crush, first heart break, and call a friend to tell them about their crush or heart break. It would also be cool to see them have a few best friends, unlike how we can only have one best friend. I thin it would be great if they have their own clothing style. I hate that my teens can wear the same styles as adults. While I don't mind that my older sims can go through a midlife crisis and wear clothes that look to young for them I do care that my teens clothes are limited.
  • NightmareCandleNightmareCandle Posts: 531 Member
    edited August 2015
    kerryn96 wrote: »
    I'm sure as a pre-teen we all knew someone who was lucky enough to have their crush like them back, so they became their "boyfriend" or "girlfriend", but really all they did was hold hands, hug and occasionally give each other a shy kiss on the cheek. Or maybe you were that person!

So I'm not opposed to pre-teens being able to have "relationships", although I do think that relationship is too serious of a word. But if they were able to somehow get lightly romantic with their crush, that would be fine.
    I think romantic gameplay should be more centred around "crushing" on someone though, rather than actually being in a relationship. Sure, let them "reveal crush", "hold hands", "kiss cheek" and "cuddle" with another pre-teen, but that's it. More realistic interactions would be things like, writing in diary about crush, talk to friends about crush, gossip about who's crushing on who, admire crush from afar (lol), etc etc
    As long as it's all kept innocent, I don't see the problem!

This mirrors my opinion perfectly. They should be able to have the little not-really-a-relationship relationships. Those interactions listed would all be so cute. ♥.♥ You could easily just refer to them as "crushes" or find a specific term for it rather than "boyfriend/girlfriend/in a relationship" so that it would be less uncomfortable.
    ► ♦ 8XGb8hl.gif ♦ ◄
  • KatsKatsKatsKats Posts: 976 Member
    I'd like to see crushes. Preteens could also have crushes on rock and movie stars if we ever get them.

I'm old and I remember having a crushes in grade school. When I was 6, I got my first kiss from an "older man" who was 7 and a half. I'd spent a few weeks out of state on my grandma's farm and this boy and I became good exploring buddies. When we were leaving for home, he kissed me at the doorway. It was just a quick peck. In turn, I blushed, giggled, and smacked him on the arm to show I liked him back. Never did see him again. In 1st grade a little boy had a crush on me. He tried to kiss me but I was still "in love" with my out of state friend. In 5th grade, every girl had a mad crush on one particular boy, myself included. Nothing came of it.

The point is, at least back in the day, crushes and preteen romances were very innocent, and even cute.

Relationships, on the other hand, are a bit different. These days I hear first graders say they are "going out," even though they never actually go anywhere. I don't think I'd like that in the Sims. But mooning over someone, that quick peck, the shy looks, pulling pigtails, that would be cute.
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    edited August 2015
    I think preteens should have crushes but not date like I remember in middle school I had crushes and my friends had crushes but we didn't actually date until we got in highschool so like preteens they probably can hug amorously, hold hands, kiss cheek, blow kiss, wink, until they turn into teens they can become official or not.
  • SimmingWithStarsSimmingWithStars Posts: 439 Member
    Yep. I think cute 'lil crushes, cuddles would be adorable; this is realistic, ya know guys: it does happen. I love the idea of having a diary and secrets and all sorts. You've got my vote.

Currently doing one of the following:
      - Eating - Sleeping - Simming - Reading - Watching 90s Sitcoms - Drinking tea - Wearing socks.
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    I think preteens should have crushes and write do you like me notes check yes or no and that the crush can choose one and send it back. Looking in each others eyes and a kiss on the cheek might be ok. Beyond that really lands in the teen section.

I'm hoping for preteen objects like pogo sticks, board games, more interactions/skills.
  • LeslieM25LeslieM25 Posts: 2,766 Member
    I think it would be cute if they had a boyfriend or girlfriend just as long as they could only hang out together like friends, talk on the phone, maybe first kiss, and hold hands. That would be completely appropriate and true to life.
    Come check out my poses and more on my Simblr!
    http://lesliem25.tumblr.com/
    GqsONVc.gif
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Fleurkween wrote: »
    I think they should be able to have crushes and cuddle but not be able to kiss or make out with other pre-teens. I find that slightly creepy in a sims game, allowing pre teens who are virtually children to kiss and make out.

A light peck on the lips and cheek won't hurt.
  • Woahbro1Woahbro1 Posts: 134 Member
    I think that preteens should be able to explore romance, but not to the extent that teens are. They should be able to have crushes, hold hands, hug amorously, leave little love letters, ask them to be valentines, etc. What developers should do is have a pre teen sim have to gain a high relationship such as good friends or bestfriends to begin having crushes.
    5nj1c1.png
    Origin ID: woahbro1
  • momboqueenmomboqueen Posts: 1,721 Member
    So happy I only had boy's and no silly pre-teen girl nonsence.
  • JessicaSimstonJessicaSimston Posts: 2,519 Member
    Miamine wrote: »
    No crushes, no romance, no kisses, no cuddles.
    For pre-teens, I like the idea of chores, hobbies and MORE HOMEWORK.

Some people, cultures and countries are sensitive to such things.

Countries are sensitive to children growing up? Did you not have a crush when you wrre little

Nope, no country prevents children growing up, but this pre-teen sensation is a very western thing, not all countries have such a thing. In many countries romance is forbidden before marriage, and in my culture a child aged between 11-14 kissing a cuddling some strange boy or girl would find themself in curfew forever.

Yes I had crushes, private in my head, only my diary knew. There are other cultures in the world that don't understand why you want to want your children pushed into adult things.

No offense to anyone here, but I think the Sims is mainly based around American culture.
  • JessicaSimstonJessicaSimston Posts: 2,519 Member

Why not both?

Why not both?
    I like the way you think. Options are key.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited August 2015
    I don't know how life has changed for kids these days since I don't have any immediate small children or age twelve kids close enough to know. Family lives a very long distance they have these ages. Don't speak with them much. However, when I was that age yes, I had crushes. But they were not of a physical desire to kiss anyone. Those thoughts came later. But as preteen I was stuck between wanting to do what my older siblings could do that I wasn't allowed and sometimes still playing with dolls. It is a very difficult and awkward age for some kids. But my crushes were more like poke the little boy in the eye and or kick his shins lol more so than dreaming of a kiss at that age. So, I would say yes, but of a more innocent type crush. Before kids knew everything like the do these days at three year olds there was an innocence to crushes. You know you had one but you didn't know why. I often had crushes on older people on TV, too who were probably old enough to be my dad and or even grandpa. Who knows. lol But I didn't dream of kissing them. It was sort of more like hero worship type of thing.

Like people have about Spiderman or Batman or Superman. lol So, I would say yes, but no desire to kiss and cuddle that is what teen years are for, and actually they should be sort of innocent and also throw fits because they can't go to that movie with their older brother or sister. I was just told I could do those things later when I was older. ETA: I was not the baby either, so my younger one got everything lol so there I was miserable between two worlds. lol
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.