Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Windows 10 and Sims 2?

mtwtfss71mtwtfss71 Posts: 173 Member
I don't know where else to post this question (will move it if someone knows another spot).
Will Sims 2 play on Windows 10?

Comments

• Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,453 Member
    Microsoft said that Windows 10 has excellent backwards compatibility, so it is always worth a try.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Taw3001Taw3001 Posts: 344 Member
    I play Sims2 and Sim3 on Windows 10 and had no problems yet. These were both installed after I did a clean install of Windows 10 and installed the games from my Origin account. I have read were some people had issues with Sims 3 after the upgrade though. So can't say if there would be issues with a game after and upgrade to Windows 10.
  • mtwtfss71mtwtfss71 Posts: 173 Member
    Thanks guys. I'm nervous to try it. :)
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    If it's TS2: Ultimate Collection it should work fine. I've tested it and so have many others. I don't know if you will have any problems with a disk copy.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    It is the Ultimate Collection, yes. Thank you. :)
  • winterlocwinterloc Posts: 348 Member
    Hi all,
    Yesterday I installed Ultimate Collection on windows 10 pro upgrade and it did not work for me. I still get the black screen and music playing and a big old mouse pointer. Then when I ctrl Alt Deleted out I got the picture of the neighborhood screen. So for me I am out of the sims game.
    Hope you are successful in getting your game up and running.
    Enjoy,
    Your Simmy friend,
    Winterloc
  • ErnesaTErnesaT Posts: 7,474 Member
    I'm having problems too. I'm trying to find a solution
    yY5vKua.png[img][/img]
  • Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    have you tried the compatibility options too ?
    i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • winterlocwinterloc Posts: 348 Member
    edited August 2015
    Rukola_Schaaf,
    Yes I have. I also gave it the admin permission but nothing is working. Still a total black screen with a big mouse pointer. When I think of this It tells me video problem. For some reason I do not think my video driver is compatible with my sims games Plus when looking in to the programs it is all stated unknown or not available. That is just checking on the start all apps button. The whole list. Including the registration icons.
    Thanks for posting everyone.

ErnesaT what problem are you having same as mine? No picture but plenty of music and the big old mouse pointer?
    Thanks for posting
    Your Simmy friend,
    Winterloc
    Just to Edit this I am having the same problem with both play by disk and the Ultimate collection. Same black screen and music playing and big old mouse pointer.
  • sweetface44sweetface44 Posts: 2,958 Member
    I play it old school with the disk and everything and it works perfectly
  • CrazyboutTheSimsCrazyboutTheSims Posts: 2,739 Member
    I can't get cc to show up in sims2. I'm playing sims2 ultimate collection. other than that is runs good on my pc with windows 10 :)
  • WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    edited August 2015
    This YouTube video proves that you can run The Sims 2 on Windows 10. TS3 and TS4 are also shown.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVXx59QQoLA

However, you'll still have glitches like the black boxes under Sims/Pets. This is probably caused by newer systems/cards.
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • momboqueenmomboqueen Posts: 1,721 Member
    Put your shadows on medium and it will get rid of the black boxes. Worked for me.
    momboqueen wrote: »
    Put your shadows on medium and it will get rid of the black boxes. Worked for me.

Wow. Thank you for this tip! I had resigned myself to the black boxes.
  • ashleyrenee210ashleyrenee210 Posts: 187 Member
    I bought a brand new laptop with Windows 10 already installed on it and downloaded The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection from Origin onto this laptop. I played the Sims 2 on it yesterday. The only issue I had is whenever I move furniture the house disappears for a second and then reappears. Other than that I haven't had any issues.
    Twitter: ashleyrenee210
    Tumblr: panicitsashleyatthedisco
    Origin: ashleyrenee210
    PSN: ashleyrenee210
  • dogdancerdogdancer Posts: 447 Member
    I don't know if I already posted this or not. Sims 2,3 and 4 do play on Windows 10. It seems the graphics are a little better than they were on Windows 7.
  • dominimpdominimp Posts: 162 Member
    :)

I launched sims 2 on win 10 I noticed no difference. I also fixed the box issue thanks to this thread =D

I am glad my Sims games work for me, odd they don't for some.

:)
    winterloc wrote: »
    Rukola_Schaaf,
    Yes I have. I also gave it the admin permission but nothing is working. Still a total black screen with a big mouse pointer. When I think of this It tells me video problem. For some reason I do not think my video driver is compatible with my sims games Plus when looking in to the programs it is all stated unknown or not available. That is just checking on the start all apps button. The whole list. Including the registration icons.
    Thanks for posting everyone.

ErnesaT what problem are you having same as mine? No picture but plenty of music and the big old mouse pointer?
    Thanks for posting
    Your Simmy friend,
    Winterloc
    Just to Edit this I am having the same problem with both play by disk and the Ultimate collection. Same black screen and music playing and big old mouse pointer.

No. I'm not even getting a black screen. I have TS2 on both of my laptops. One was a Windows 7 and the other 8.1. The UC ran fine on both before the change. After the change, it ran on the previously Windows 7 laptop. As of yesterday, I get a box with a red X

yY5vKua.png[img][/img]
    Check out simnetwork.com they are trying to resolve several issues over there. I had the nvidea texture and compatibility problem. Weird because first time I fired it up to see if it would play everything was ok. Next time not so much,lol.

I have gotten it back in working order though. Searched a lot of forums for help.
    Correction....simsnetwork.com
    momboqueen wrote: »
    Check out simnetwork.com they are trying to resolve several issues over there. I had the nvidea texture and compatibility problem. Weird because first time I fired it up to see if it would play everything was ok. Next time not so much,lol.

I have gotten it back in working order though. Searched a lot of forums for help.

Thanks so much

yY5vKua.png[img][/img]
  • topazauroratopazaurora Posts: 2 New Member
    I know this thread is like 2 years old but I'm hoping I can still get an answer. I was given TS2 Ultimate from EA, I downloaded Origin (On Windows 10) and the game. And every single time (Usually when I go into Create a Sim Add a Sim) The music stops and I hear a beep, I have to press windows and I see a message that something along the lines of "The application has crashed. This application will now terminate" And the game shuts down completely. I'm super sad and just want to play!
  • ValmionValmion Posts: 89 Member
    Been a bit since I looked for the info, but there is also info for getting Sims 2 Ultimate Collection to play in wide screen mode on windows 10, as I have it that way on mine, just don't remember what file I had to manually edit to get the game to recognize the video display.

• windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,372 Member
    mtwtfss71 wrote: »
    I don't know where else to post this question (will move it if someone knows another spot).
    Will Sims 2 play on Windows 10?

Yes, it works on my computer with windows 10. Your graphics card may be another story. But someone clever came up with an app called Graphics Rule Maker. You'll know if you need it. Your Sim's shadow will be a black box.

My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    I know this thread is like 2 years old but I'm hoping I can still get an answer. I was given TS2 Ultimate from EA, I downloaded Origin (On Windows 10) and the game. And every single time (Usually when I go into Create a Sim Add a Sim) The music stops and I hear a beep, I have to press windows and I see a message that something along the lines of "The application has crashed. This application will now terminate" And the game shuts down completely. I'm super sad and just want to play!

Does it do this only when you go into CAS, or even while playing? Do you have only the base game, or is it loaded up with expansions? CC? This happens now and then even on genuine XP machines, so there is some sort of stability issue Maxis never addressed.