Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Has anyone taken the plunge and installed windows 10? Is your sims3 game playing fine?

Hi all,
It has been a long while since I have posted anything in the Sims 3 section. However I was wondering has anyone taking the plunge and if you did what are your sims 3 experience with windows 10?

I took the plunge and I have just been into my game. I find it very dark and lagging. I went into the options and worked around in there for a good while. Due to the darkness of my game I put the lighting and shading on High. I also move some things on the monitor page to high it was all set to low. Then I changed the monitor in game resolution to what my monitor is set to for my desktop 1280x1024. It did give me more refined visual effects.
I think now my game would be ok if I could curtail the lagging. It is seriously in slow motion. When I upgraded to windows 10 pro my video cards did get knocked for a loop. What happened was windows 10 gave me a basic video card driver. It did not come with any video controls so I do not have drivers for them. I have one video card that did get a driver where as my second video card got the same but it is not utilizing it and keeps trying to use the old driver.

Granted I did upgrade an old computer to a new operating system. Windows works fine other wise but not so with my sims games. Thanks to a simmer over in Sims Memory lane I am now able to play sims 1. However sims 2 and 3 are another story. I won't go into sims 2 here. I was just wondering if any went from windows 7 pro to Windows 10 pro and how you have experience your sims 3 game.
If you had severe lagging how did you fix it?
Thanks for reading my post and I hope someone can point me into a direction of making my game completely playable again.

Your simmy friend,
Winterloc

Comments

• Lindsmd113Lindsmd113 Posts: 196 Member
    I updated and it's working great
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    Was there nobody on this 6-page thread about Sims 3 and Windows 10 that took the plunge?

I haven't yet myself. I think I'll wait a few more months.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    I'm still waiting to do it on my computer but my husband let me upgrade his computer so I could test stuff out. TS3 seems to be playing about the same on that computer. Sorry you have been having so many issues.

Did you make sure that your computer met the recommended requirements for Windows 10? Also, after changing most game settings you will need to close out and launch again. If you haven't already maybe this will help a little. Did you have any lag issues before?
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • CoffeeBeanPopcornCoffeeBeanPopcorn Posts: 1,587 Member
    Update the drivers. With the release of DX12 the default driver defaulted to the integrated chip in the processor.
    I'm back!
  • winterlocwinterloc Posts: 348 Member
    edited August 2015
    Good Morning everyone,

First off thank you all so much for replying back to my post. Where do I start.

1. Simasaurus09 yes according to Microsoft it met the requirements. the first check I did it said my video cards would be an issue. I waited it out then did another check and it said I was good to go. That is good that you tested it out on your hubby's computer. I am glad that it works. Thank you for your heart felt feeling.

2. CoffeeBeanPopcorn I ended up with DX11.2 I also noticed that my sims 3 game is set for windows 8.1 when I made it compatible for windows xpsp3.

3. Treynuz Thank you yes I did see that and did give a read.
    4. Lindsmd113 I am so happy for you.

Here is where I am right now with the game. I did manage to get it to lighten up after it looked like Midnight Hollow. I was in Sunnyvale. It is not taking to long to come on. At first it took a while to load. The worst thing now is the tremendous lagging. I do not know If I have to delete cache files and what ones to delete. I never have deleted any of them like we do in Sims 2.

I will explain something here Simasaurus09 and I have been in contact over at Memory lane. What I have for a computer is an 8 year old computer. I have two ati/amd video cards. They are crossed fired. 1950's I cannot get new drivers for them as my cards are no longer supported or on any list over at amd. The driver that I had gotten was a MWD or something like that when I installed windows 7 pro over a windows xp media center 005 operating system. I did that when windows 7 came out.

When I did the upgrade not full install of windows7 pro my games worked flawless. With this said you are all saying Why oh why did you upgrade. I was curious to see how far I could push this old computer. Well the new Windows 10 pro does work pretty well and yes I think I can revert back to windows 7. I am not sure what video card drivers I will end up with so now I am not sure as to do it.

I will go back and give the 6page post a real good read. I know they said they did not upgrade yet. I am thinking most of you are using a computer that has windows 7 full install came with your computer and windows 8.1 newer computer. So there for I am thinking that most of you will not have a problem with any of the latest sims games. Windows 10 is suppose to be a combination of 8.1 and windows 7. I am thinking that the deep innards of the OS is windows 8.1 with a hint of windows 7.

My question here is should I delete cache files and if so what ones? Where do I find the latest DX 12. Will that work with my computer? I did look on MS site but I am thinking it is only good for newer video cards. I will go check it again.

By this new operating system giving me a basic driver it really sent my computer back to maybe something like window 98s. It did knock out all my choices for resolution settings and left me with a few lesser ones. I have a 21 inch lcd flat screen. My 24 inch died a while back so I am not using that one anymore.

Well anyway I thank you all so very much for you input and information. I am truly glad that you all can play your sims3 game. I hope that I can too real soon. Well now at least I can play sims 1. Thanks to a poster over in the sims memory lane forum.

Your simmy friend,
    Winterloc
    Post edited by winterloc on
    Thank you Knotahappycamper,
    yes I did all but skype
  • CororonCororon Posts: 4,274 Member
    I'm afraid that it would mess things up, and I'm very happy with Windows 7. I think I'll stay with Win 7 and get the latest Windows when I buy the next computer. A good clean install from the beginning. :smiley:
    cUrfGkA.gif
    Hi Cororon,
    I intend to that too. I will be buying two new computers one a desk top and one a laptop. Unfortunately I will be buying them both at the same time. I just have not found a good gaming computer yet. Desk top or laptop. Plus I too want a clean install of windows 10. I am however sorry to say that windows 10 is not as liberal as widows 7. It is really very bland and plain. Nothing pretty about it. Just reminds me of old Microsoft O.S.
    Sometimes I think it has gone backwards instead of forwards. I do not know.
    Anyway thanks for stopping by to give your thoughts.

Your simmy friend,
    Winterloc
  • CororonCororon Posts: 4,274 Member
    Windows 10 has just been released so I guess it will take a while until there are good drivers out there for the graphic cards and stuff. Yeah, I've seen pics and videos of Win 10 and it sure does look boring, and I hate the icons.

Look for a place that lets you choose the hardware for your desktop pc. Then you have more control and will get one that's juuuust right for your needs. :smiley:
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • SkullGirl1234SkullGirl1234 Posts: 4 New Member
    I'm downloading sims and I'm about to test it out. WISH ME GOOD LUCK :smiley:
  • KATENESSKATENESS Posts: 3,610 Member
    My computer is over 6 years old. It was upgraded to Windows 7 a couple years ago. I took the plunge and updated to 10 a couple weeks ago. I had to update my Nvidia graphics card driver thing. But otherwise it's been working fine, just like normal. I had to play around in the settings to get it back to what I had before, but I had to do that every time my graphics updated so I'm used to that. All in all, no problems yet. (knock on wood) :D
    giphy.gif

I hear you Kateness,
    Kateness I am happy you got your game up and running and can play.

I would do the video card driver updates when needed back in the day. Windows 7 pro gave me a Microsoft video drive so I never did updates anymore. It got to the point that on Ati/amd site that my cards where no longer listed and if they were they recommended the driver that came with windows 7.
    I ended up using that driver till this upgrade. The drivers for windows 7 pro worked great and I did not even have to change any settings.
    So I think for an older computer like mine the drivers they gave out for windows 10 were more of a generic basic style driver. To bad they did not leave the video card drivers alone. I had a later dated video card and got one that was dated earlier then what I had. Go figure.

I checked the upgrade for Directx and I could not find the Directx 12. I tried to install a later version but it said I was up to date and I had a new version. So I check the DirectX program and everything checks says all is working with no problem.

I have not done the delete cache files yet but I will give it a try and see what happens.
    Thank you all for posting here in my post.
    Your Simmy friend,
    Winterloc
  • eclipsetrixxzeclipsetrixxz Posts: 1,534 Member
    my game was previously unplayable, since the windows 10 update i can actually play again!! Don't know why, i'm guessing windows 10 gave me some sort of drivers I was missing?
    353235_b.jpg
  • SkullGirl1234SkullGirl1234 Posts: 4 New Member
    Mine works fine so yeah! Hope this helps someone
  • JennieL759JennieL759 Posts: 122 Member
    I upgraded, no issues. I play on a laptop, not for sure if that makes a difference or not.
  • Melbana9Melbana9 Posts: 262 Member
    yes i did and no problems at all just, a had to right click, on sims 3 game, and run it in Windows 7 :)
  • CharityHopeCharityHope Posts: 570 Member
    edited September 2015
    Yes, I did upgrade to windows 10 on the laptop and the desktop. I run TS2 and TS3 on both without any issues.

Edit: typo
  • EllaDellaPellaEllaDellaPella Posts: 7 New Member
    It runs just like it did on Win 7/8/8.1. Which means it runs perfectly. Very happy to have Win 10, it looks so smooth and clean :)