Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Culling.

I'm so so so annoyed at the geneaology thing. (i know i spelled that wrong) All i want to do is be able to see my sims' grandparents, and great-grandparents, but the ghosts are somehow getting culled, resulting in just a blank space where i can't tell who it is. So please, tell me, is there ANY way to make this stop? Make it so I can actually see the geneology?
we way too young to get old <3

Comments

• SarduchiSarduchi Posts: 208 Member
    There was a mod, but it was broken by the last big patch. Currently I know of no way to avoid culling.
  • plenilunesplenilunes Posts: 296 Member
    I believe once they're gone, they're going... But there are two popular mods to fix this on modthesims. One is a strictly no culling mod. The other is called master controller, and it has a no culling element along with story progression, population controls etc
  • GreenDayGreenDay Posts: 669 Member
    My Sims' parents were immediately culled after I started up the game with the latest patch. Haven't played since.
  • take0nmetake0nme Posts: 3,682 Member
    I keep the sim count low by deleting generated NPC's so far I haven't noticed any culling.
    DyFJE8G.jpg
    The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Gallery ID : sharipants
  • TheBlaireWitchTheBlaireWitch Posts: 762 Member
    No cull mod is working fine for me but script mods got turned off after the last game update so that had to be turned back on.
  • LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Sarduchi wrote: »
    There was a mod, but it was broken by the last big patch. Currently I know of no way to avoid culling.

It still works. I haven't noticed any culling in mine. But the amount of people saying it isn't is troublesome.
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • SummerjaseSummerjase Posts: 1,424 Member
    I hate it too. I'm assuming there are mods out there that will help with this, but for me, as dumb and generic as it sounds, I just keep track of all my Sims in a word document
    giphy.gif
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    edited August 2015
    I've been keeping my sim count down by deleting townies the game creates (also play with aging off to minimize the amount of corpses). I had some ghosts culled before I started doing this, but none since then. I know everyone is always quick to recommend a mod to fix the issue, which of course is one option, but not the only one.
  • Kay8OrangeKay8Orange Posts: 291 Member
    edited August 2015
    There's mods, but in case you don't like mods you can try these:

A) Delete the townies regularly.
    B) Go to options and turn off the option that makes the game automatically fill in empty lots. Make sure it's off so the empty lots don't get filled unless you put sims in them, because that will increase the population.
    C) Delete all the other sims in lots except the households that you want to keep, if you don't mind deleting the other households.
    D) When a sim dies, release their spirit. They will remain on the family tree after that. But that will take away their ghosts forever, so you may not like this one, but it's a way to keep them on the family tree.
    E) When a sim from another household reaches elder, you might want to delete them before they die so their ghost doesn't add to the population and make them get culled. Or you can transfer them into your household, keep them until they die, and release their spirit to keep them in the game instead of deleting.

I don't like mods, so I'm using this method. Big hassle, but it's working great for me so far. You can also try making your sims' family tree on Family Echo in case all else fails.

(EDIT!!!)
    Just found out D isn't working for all players. Sorry!!! DX
    Post edited by Kay8Orange on
  • olyanaesmeolyanaesme Posts: 338 Member

A) Delete the townies regularly.
    B) Go to options and turn off the option that makes the game automatically fill in empty lots. Make sure it's off so the empty lots don't get filled unless you put sims in them, because that will increase the population.
    C) Delete all the other sims in lots except the households that you want to keep, if you don't mind deleting the other households.
    D) When a sim dies, release their spirit. They will remain on the family tree after that. But that will take away their ghosts forever, so you may not like this one, but it's a way to keep them on the family tree.
    E) When a sim from another household reaches elder, you might want to delete them before they die so their ghost doesn't add to the population and make them get culled. Or you can transfer them into your household, keep them until they die, and release their spirit to keep them in the game instead of deleting.

I don't like mods, so I'm using this method. Big hassle, but it's working great for me so far. You can also try making your sims' family tree on Family Echo in case all else fails.

Really? Releasing spirits really makes them stay on the family tree???????
    we way too young to get old <3
    @olyanaesme

It should. I deliberately made a new household and killed one of the sims (because on my household no one has died just yet) only to release their spirit to test to see if they stayed on the family tree after that, and he did. I don't see any reason for them to be culled after that, because by releasing their spirit it's practically culling their ghost, but keeping their memory.
  • HephaestionHephaestion Posts: 1,445 Member
    but rachel says that people only play ts4 one way... her way. you rule!
  • FaberriesFaberries Posts: 1,354 Member
    As everyone else said, you could use mods or delete randomly generated townies regularly. I actually made a family tree for my sims, on those heritage websites, just so I have a backup if anything happens :#
    Star Wind Flower Sun
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member

Really?
    If this you say works, why Maxis no implement it at culling?
  • pythonpunkgirlpythonpunkgirl Posts: 240 Member
    @olyanaesme

It should. I deliberately made a new household and killed one of the sims (because on my household no one has died just yet) only to release their spirit to test to see if they stayed on the family tree after that, and he did. I don't see any reason for them to be culled after that, because by releasing their spirit it's practically culling their ghost, but keeping their memory.

That didn't work for me :-( I was doing a family tree that I put a lot of effort into, the matriarch died, I released her spirit and her spot on the family tree is just an empty circle now with no info.
    @olyanaesme

That didn't work for me :-( I was doing a family tree that I put a lot of effort into, the matriarch died, I released her spirit and her spot on the family tree is just an empty circle now with no info.

It didn't? D: I'm sorry! Wonder why it worked for me but not you?

@leo3487
    Have no idea. I saw another user suggest it sometime ago, and I tested it out myself, and it worked. But I just learned now that it apparently may not work for all, after pythonpunkgirl's comment. Dx Darn.
  • plenilunesplenilunes Posts: 296 Member
    Master Controller is an awesome mod with a lot of functions that gets updated often. I would at least give it a look!
  • GaiaPumaGaiaPuma Posts: 2,278 Member
    edited August 2015
    Well good news:

CuriousCheeze ‏@CuriousCheeze 21h21 hours ago

@SimGuruDaniel Players are upset about culling. The ghosts and family trees are rendered useless without a mod. http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/850449/auto-culling-what-are-the-rules/p1
    0 retweets 0 favorites

Daniel Hiatt ‏@SimGuruDaniel

@CuriousCheeze Yes. It's a serious issue that we are working on.
  • azxcvbnm321azxcvbnm321 Posts: 532 Member
    I think released spirits can get culled too. The game culls so it doesn't have to remember the status and relationships of those sims. The family tree is collateral damage from the culling process.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    GaiaPuma wrote: »
    Well good news:

@SimGuruDaniel Players are upset about culling. The ghosts and family trees are rendered useless without a mod. http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/850449/auto-culling-what-are-the-rules/p1
    0 retweets 0 favorites

I really like the date on that ... so it isn't forgotten or pushed aside :)
    egTcBMc.png
  • cheifeagleeyecheifeagleeye Posts: 542 Member
    go and get this mod MC Command Center made by Deaderpool it stop culling
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    Well good news:

0 retweets 0 favorites

I really like the date on that ... so it isn't forgotten or pushed aside :)

Yay! Happy that they say that's it is a serious issue that they are working on. I can play around it but it creats a lot of work for me. Hope we will see a solution sooner rather than later :smile:
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Well good news:

0 retweets 0 favorites

That is great news.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    go and get this mod MC Command Center made by Deaderpool it stop culling

To me the thing about mods fixing things is that it takes EA off the hook for fixing broken things.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    One reason I have not built any graveyards in this game and I actually love them, is because of culling. Another thing that thwarts how I like to play. I like spooky, scary, haunt your Sims til they die gameplay. :(
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.