Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    OJennOJenn Posts: 8,429 Member
    I am going to make it through this legacy plummit!
  • Options
    MegglesMeggles Posts: 4,109 Member
    edited August 2015
    How many of you have seen the websites listed here? I find it so addicting, it's just terrible: http://johnnylists.com/post/90947671878/12-useful-websites-to-improve-your-writing

Especially the vocabulary one.

I just tried the readability score and who you write like.

ETA: My amazon challenge reads like Jane Austen and my Wonder Child like Neil Gaiman. *sideways glance* Riiiight...
    Gifs are broken but click here for my blog with all my stories :)
    House: Hufflepuff | Wand: Ebony wood w/a unicorn hair core, 9 ¾"
    Origin ID: meggles87 | twitter | simblr
  • Options
    Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    Meggles wrote: »
    How many of you have seen the websites listed here? I find it so addicting, it's just terrible: http://johnnylists.com/post/90947671878/12-useful-websites-to-improve-your-writing

ETA: My amazon challenge reads like Jane Austen and my Wonder Child like Neil Gaiman!

I get a different author with nearly every post I've tested. LOL

I got Mark Twain, Dan Brown, Douglas Adams and William Gibson to name a few.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • Options
    StoriedStormStoriedStorm Posts: 3,004 Member
    edited August 2015

ETA: My amazon challenge reads like Jane Austen and my Wonder Child like Neil Gaiman. :relieved:

I just took it as well. It seems that with my Lockwood story I write like Stephen King. Freedom and Treason was like Douglas Adams (Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy)
  • Options
    Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    Oooo! I scored a 93.2 in readability with my latest Wren's Nest chapter. One of my first ever posts from Ana Pringle scored 75. I guess that means I've improved my writing. :)
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • Options
    BgBn7510BgBn7510 Posts: 100 Member

ETA: My amazon challenge reads like Jane Austen and my Wonder Child like Neil Gaiman. *sideways glance* Riiiight...

My #BuildNewscrestChallenge reads like James Joyce. Proof: http://iwl.me/s/d760c1b4 but My new story coming out which will be called "True Love" reads as like P. G. Wodehouse.
    My Sims Stories
    Origin ID: Lindz200611
  • Options
    capturedmusecapturedmuse Posts: 300 Member
    I'm hoping one day my writing style will be more consistent, until then, I'm enjoying seeing who I write like heh. It's interesting the options you guys got so far.
  • Options
    ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    My Derelict Room Challenge reads like Neil Gaiman.
    The last short story entry The Last Breath read like Stephanie Meyer...errr. I was hoping for Terry Pratchett.
    Bane, my heir from my Legacy Challenge, reads like H.P Lovecraft....mwahahahah (must be the cowplant)
    And finally own voice (when I'm the narrator) reads like Douglas Adams.

I kind of wish I knew how they were analyzing this text...it feels like it might be random. Although I'm sensing a SF/F theme. Considering how much of that I've read, I'm not surprised that my writing sounds like SF/F.
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
  • Options
    capturedmusecapturedmuse Posts: 300 Member
    ra3rei wrote: »
    My Derelict Room Challenge reads like Neil Gaiman.
    The last short story entry The Last Breath read like Stephanie Meyer...errr. I was hoping for Terry Pratchett.
    Bane, my heir from my Legacy Challenge, reads like H.P Lovecraft....mwahahahah (must be the cowplant)
    And finally own voice (when I'm the narrator) reads like Douglas Adams.

I kind of wish I knew how they were analyzing this text...it feels like it might be random. Although I'm sensing a SF/F theme. Considering how much of that I've read, I'm not surprised that my writing sounds like SF/F.

Word choice and sentence composition I assume. It probably has a database consisting of most used words for the authors, and favorite phrases, etc. Would be the most practical assessment measurement.
  • Options
    UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member
    I apparently write like James Joyce and Robert Louis Stevenson. =/ Not sure how I feel about that lol.
    ~*-*-*~ My SimLit: The Echoed Fragments || A Tale of Love and Fame ~*-*-*~
  • Options
    putacece4lyfeputacece4lyfe Posts: 1,734 Member
    My characters and venue are DONE! after several hours. A lot because I didn't feel like making my own sims so I just choose them from the gallery. That's takes time when you are looking for a particular look, but as I said.. im too lazy to make my own sims. lol. Next is so take screenshots... tomorrow. Psh... I'm working on my legacy now.
    disney-princess-challenge.png

Disney Princess Legacy Challenge Updated: 12/20 | Monthly Short Story Blog: Simming Through the Story Hour Haitus | It's an Olivia Love World Haitus
  • Options
    MegglesMeggles Posts: 4,109 Member
    I'm talking to a friend about a choir she just joined and they're singing a song by a composer named Craig Hella Johnson and that middle name cracks me up. Makes me think of @sunnyshay's legacy, lol!
    Gifs are broken but click here for my blog with all my stories :)
    House: Hufflepuff | Wand: Ebony wood w/a unicorn hair core, 9 ¾"
    Origin ID: meggles87 | twitter | simblr
  • Options
    ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    I apparently write like James Joyce and Robert Louis Stevenson. =/ Not sure how I feel about that lol.

You write like the turn of the last century Irishman or Scotsman? I'd say that was a complement. (Had to look up Stevenson, not a name that I know, but I know his writing). Shows how well I know my classics...as in, um, not at all.
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
  • Options
    ra3rei wrote: »

You write like the turn of the last century Irishman or Scotsman? I'd say that was a complement. (Had to look up Stevenson, not a name that I know, but I know his writing). Shows how well I know my classics...as in, um, not at all.

Well its funny...I know Stevenson because of school. But I have no clue who Joyce is. I was hoping to write like Carroll - whimsical and such. Lol.
  • Options
    StoriedStormStoriedStorm Posts: 3,004 Member
    Goodnight everyone, I am going to bed.

Also last call for anyone who wants to submit a comment for the latest blog post of This is NOT me!

As usual I will write it up first thing in the morning.
  • Options
    MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 5,082 Member
    edited August 2015
    Hey everyone! I have a new update for my legacy: 1.11 - Shea's New Threads

Oh, and it showcases some more decorating, just like @OJenn said I would be doing! :p
    dustshaela.jpg
    Origin ID: Munter_Bacon
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Holy llama-mama, this who I write like is so fun!

Here's what I got:

When I write for myself (in my commentary on Goofy Love), I write like J. K. Rowling.

When I write for onezero, I write like William Gibson.

In Aimless, I write like Chuck Palahniuk.

In Dr. Jasmine's Casebook, I write like Kurt Vonnegut.

In Drifter, I write like Cory Doctorow.

In A Houseful of Hippies, I write like Margaret Mitchell

In Where I'm From, I write like Douglas Adams.

In FanFic, I write like Charles Dickens (when Nancy Landgraab and Clarissa Moon are the POV characters) and Dan Brown (when Malcolm Landgraab is the POV character)

No wonder I feel like a veritable library sometimes! :)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    @CathyTea ohmyplum I'm so jealous...JK Rowling :love: no wonder I love Goofy Love so freaking much.
  • Options
    eXokamikazeeXokamikaze Posts: 3,870 Member
    edited August 2015
    I got David Foster Wallace for Project L.E.G.A.C.Y. - the titles of some of his books are Brief Interviews With Hideous Men, Consider The Lobster And Other Essays, and This is Water: Some Thoughts, Delivered on a Significant Occasion, About Living a Compassionate Life.

Yeah, I can see the similarities. :D
    Post edited by eXokamikaze on
  • Options
    MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 5,082 Member
    edited August 2015
    Hehe, Twisted Addiction writes like Fight Club author Chuck Palahniuk

Ironbound writes like Dan Brown, (I used Chapter 28 as the test)

My Life As A Zombie writes like Cory Doctorow... Yup, I can see why!
    220px-Cory_Doctorow_%40_eTech_2007.jpeg
    dustshaela.jpg
    Origin ID: Munter_Bacon
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
  • Options
    Hehe, Twisted Addiction writes like Fight Club author Chuck Palahniuk

Ironbound writes like Dan Brown, (I used Chapter 28 as the test)

My Life As A Zombie writes like Cory Doctorow... Yup, I can see why!
    220px-Cory_Doctorow_%40_eTech_2007.jpeg

Hey! I got those three, too! LOL! We write the same in our multiple voices! :)

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    I got David Foster Wallace for Project L.E.G.A.C
    Y. - the titles of some of his books are Brief Interviews With Hideous Men, Consider The Lobster And Other Essays, and This is Water: Some Thoughts, Delivered on a Significant Occasion, About Living a Compassionate Life.

Yeah, I can see the similarities. :D

OMG! I love David Foster Wallace!

• Options
    @CathyTea ohmyplum I'm so jealous...JK Rowling :love: no wonder I love Goofy Love so freaking much.

I know! I'm stoked! And that's in my own voice! I'm mostly jealous of sounding like Charles Dickens, though! Wait... why am I jealous? I DO write like him! LOL!

(I'm not surprised, for last year, I read EVERYTHING he wrote. And I mean everything. Even the little essays about America--which were the best!)

• Options
    CathyTea wrote: »

I know! I'm stoked! And that's in my own voice! I'm mostly jealous of sounding like Charles Dickens, though! Wait... why am I jealous? I DO write like him! LOL!

(I'm not surprised, for last year, I read EVERYTHING he wrote. And I mean everything. Even the little essays about America--which were the best!)

You could write like anyone if you wanted tbh. You're that gifted.

I do wonder if Lewis Carroll is an option on that site though...writing like him is my goal for my new story. I'm gonna re-read Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, since those are the only things of his I have readily available, so I can try to mimic the style (I'm good at mimicking lol)
  • Options
    CathyTea wrote: »

You could write like anyone if you wanted tbh. You're that gifted.

I do wonder if Lewis Carroll is an option on that site though...writing like him is my goal for my new story. I'm gonna re-read Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, since those are the only things of his I have readily available, so I can try to mimic the style (I'm good at mimicking lol)

Oh, so cool! Maybe long made up words! LOL! I wonder what Lewis Carroll's sentence structure is like... it reminds me of Bach preludes, very mathematical. My dad, who was a mathematician, adored Lewis Carroll and used to read him aloud to me. My dad wasn't terribly verbal (very quiet man), but Lewis Carroll's sentence structure fit his mouth so well! His prose sounded natural coming from my dad!

I was hoping to write like Jane Austen! I mean, I've read all of her work at least seven times each! But that was a few years ago. I'm glad I didn't write like Shakespeare! I'm reading him now. I think I don't have a dirty enough mind to write like Shakespeare! LOL!

(Thanks for your kind words, by the way.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top