Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Weird lag since updating to Windows 10

xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member
As the title says, I just recently upgraded to windows 10 and have been experiencing this really annoying lag/glitch. It only happens when I try to switch between sims in a household. I'll click on a sims picture or the sim themselves and then the mouse icon will start spinning as if the game is thinking and the game will freeze for a good two or three seconds while it switches control of the sim.

This only started happening after upgrading to windows 10. My game has absolutely no lag other than this one issue. I'm not sure what could have possibly changed to cause this but it's very frustrating. Totally kills the immersion. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to give up Sims 2!

Comments

• xitneverendssxitneverendss Posts: 1,772 Member
    Anyone?

I've narrowed it down a bit and it starts happening right after I travel to a community lot. Super irritating. Could really use any help I could get.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Hi

I don't know because I haven't updated. :(
    Just letting you know someone has read it and would like to know, too. :)
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Hi

I don't know because I haven't updated. :(
    Just letting you know someone has read it and would like to know, too. :)

Thanks for the support @Rflong7 :) love your avi btw!
  • milly001milly001 Posts: 394 Member
    I haven't tried playing TS2 yet but I would like to know too just in case my game does this too.
  • MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    Is there a witch appearing on the community lot right after you get there? My game has always lagged a moment when the danged witches show up. I can always tell when they're arriving.
    MsPhy wrote: »
    Is there a witch appearing on the community lot right after you get there? My game has always lagged a moment when the danged witches show up. I can always tell when they're arriving.

Nope, no witch and I can't see how that would affect switching between sims, even long after I've travelled back home. Basically after I've travelled to a community lot, the lag when switching between sims persists until I reboot the game entirely. Very frustrating. Things are getting so good in my game, I'm bummed I can't play.
  • KayleiMarieKayleiMarie Posts: 68 Member
    I'm getting this same glitch with Sims 2 Ultimate Collection, it happens to me after about 10 - 15 minutes of gameplay, regardless if they're on a community or home lot. Been scouring the interwebs but doesn't look like anyone's come up with a fix yet :(
    Origin: KayleiMarie
    Twitter: @kayleimarie
    I'm pretty much just KayleiMarie
    I'm getting this same glitch with Sims 2 Ultimate Collection, it happens to me after about 10 - 15 minutes of gameplay, regardless if they're on a community or home lot. Been scouring the interwebs but doesn't look like anyone's come up with a fix yet :(

I'm sorry this is happening to you too, but I'm glad I'm not the only one. Hopefully someone has some advice for us.
  • winterlocwinterloc Posts: 348 Member
    Sorry for your lagging troubles with windows 10 and the sims2. I installed windows 10 too. I no longer can play any of my sims games 1,2,3. So I am really out of the sim game. I do not know what to do to get it to work. I wish I did cause I would be posting it up here in the forum. I see some have it working with no problem. Now I see your post talking about a lag. I cannot help you out sorry. I wish I could. I am just at a total lost for my games.
    Your simmy friend,
    Winterloc
  • mau_greenmau_green Posts: 139 Member
    This also happens to me, i don't really mind it but it will be really cool to be able to switch without any lag.
  • AnastaciasgemAnastaciasgem Posts: 246 Member
    This is happening to me too. It's unbearable :(
    iiudADB.gif
    Origin ID: Gemmaisasim
    The Minogue ISBI family tree
    Still no luck getting any suggestions on how to fix it :/
  • JouvayJouvay Posts: 834 Member
    I got around this by tweaking the graphics settings in my graphics card for sims 2. I put vertical sync on adaptive to deal with funny fp, ( I use a Ge force card)
    @Simpocalypse Huh. I don't know much about vsync. Is that an option all cards have? Haven't seen this in my graphics settings.
  • JouvayJouvay Posts: 834 Member
    As I have Ge Force, I just changed it in Ge forces control panel. The way to do it depends on the card you have.There are a couple guides online, for both integrated and dedicated graphics cards and it's very simple to change.The v sync options would be in your card's 3D settings.
    As I have Ge Force, I just changed it in Ge forces control panel. The way to do it depends on the card you have.There are a couple guides online, for both integrated and dedicated graphics cards and it's very simple to change.The v sync options would be in your card's 3D settings.

Okay was able to find the setting and I can safely say after some testing that this didn't work for me :/ thanks for the suggestion though.
  • momboqueenmomboqueen Posts: 1,721 Member
    Have you tried troubleshooting the compatibility?
    momboqueen wrote: »
    Have you tried troubleshooting the compatibility?

I'm not sure what this means or how to even begin to do this lol
    Right click on your game icon and troubleshoot. It will give you the lowest OS you test it then just go further with it until you get to the OS you last used that worked. I chose 7. If you don't have the icon then go to control pannel and type in troubleshooting.
    Right click on your game icon and troubleshoot. It will give you the lowest OS you test it then just go further with it until you get to the OS you last used that worked. I chose 7. If you don't have the icon then go to control pannel and type in troubleshooting.

Thank you! I really think this will work. Testing it out now. Will post the results!
    Hope it works for you if not you should visit simsnetwork.com there are some fixes over there that may work.
    Hope it works for you if not you should visit simsnetwork.com there are some fixes over there that may work.

So after some testing, running the game in compatibility mode didn't fix it either. I'm so bummed, I really thought that would be it.
  • kensgirl73kensgirl73 Posts: 212 Member
    I have had this issue after updating. Here is what I have to do:
    1. Start the Game
    2. Alt-Tab to the desktop
    3. Right click on the taskbar and select Task Manager
    4. Click on the details tab
    5. Find the game in the list; could be listed as The Sims or TS2, TS3 or TS4
    6. Right click on the title of the game
    7. Select "Set Affinity"
    8. Uncheck one of the boxes
    9. Click Ok
    10. Close
    11. Go back to your game and see if that worked

It's a pain in the rear end but if you do it as soon as you start the game, you will be able to play.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find how to keep it like that so you MAY have to do it every time you start the game.

Let me know how it works for you.

- Susan

So after some testing, running the game in compatibility mode didn't fix it either. I'm so bummed, I really thought that would be it.

I'm so sorry did you visit the site I suggested? Simsnetwork.com, they may be able to help.
  • KayleiMarieKayleiMarie Posts: 68 Member
    Just checked back in with this thread, tried all of these fixes and nothing working yet but think it's just got to be a process of elimination now. Going to have a look at the site @momboqueen suggested now so hopefully something there can help. Don't give up hope @xitneverendss, there has to be a fix for this somewhere! I hope lol :/
    Origin: KayleiMarie
    Twitter: @kayleimarie
    I'm pretty much just KayleiMarie