Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

All that open space and no ability to build a new house on an empty lot?

Ok, what am I missing here. I've started a new sim guy, and he's got 16k to his name. I see a couple houses for sale, but no blank lots where I can build him his home from scratch. What am I missing here? Is there a toggle i must hit to show me available empty lots?

Theres a ton of space on this map, much of which is empty, so how do I go about purchasing it, and building a home on it.

Are the lots divided up, I mean with all that empty space on the map, is that just empty space and it will always be empty space, or can I somehow draw a rectangle around some of it (like lasso'ing it with a photo editor) and make it into a lot to purchase?

Thanks,

Comments

• Steve42PlaySteve42Play Posts: 217 New Member
    edited June 2009
    idk if this is a bug or what but i have the same issue all i do is go into edit town go to the lot i want to put him on and place a wall segment then it will let him buy the lot. It shows up as empty house after you place wall segment.

EDIT:For some reason it won't let you place sims in empty lots idk why it let me do it once but idk what i did diffrent.
  • RakeeshRakeesh Posts: 670 New Member
    edited June 2009
    They only appeared with me after my first family strangely. I think it's a bug.
  • HippieMama2HippieMama2 Posts: 240 Member
    edited June 2009
    I went into edit town and placed a house onto a lot. Then I moved my family in.
  • BizzairBizzair Posts: 12 New Member
    edited June 2009
    So how do you make a family and build a house from scratch??
    edited June 2009
    lol my way is more cost effective assuming you want to build the house from scratch. If you only have 16K placeing house on the lot might make it to expensive. Her idea works to though if you have the money :)
  • VioletRiotVioletRiot Posts: 10 New Member
    edited June 2009
    Rakeesh wrote:
    They only appeared with me after my first family strangely.
    That's exactly what it did to me. I didn't understand at all! But I guess I'll just tear down the craptastic house I put them in and build a new one on the same lot.
    edited June 2009
    read my previouse post go into lot when your in edit town and put wall segment then save then go back to edit town and move your family in.
  • JalidaJalida Posts: 2,181 Member
    edited June 2009
    Bizzair wrote:
    So how do you make a family and build a house from scratch??

I'd like instructions on this too.

I've created my sim, now how do I go into edit town to place a wall on a empty lot? All that is shown to me right now is lots for sale.
    edited June 2009
    NEVER MIND!

I was sitting in the tutorial, so it wasn't showing me all the homes and lots for sale only the tutorial homes. Once I went to edit town, I left the tutorial and theres lots of ummm... lots for sale as empty ones.

For anybody else wondering, go to Edit Town by clicking on the button with the 3 dots (...) and then Edit Town. Do this if you are done with the tutorial I guess.
    edited June 2009
    load save game like you normally would then when the corner thing shows up click on the too build/buy button then go into lot place segment then save the lot then go back to edit town and get your sim and place him in lot.
  • craigst39craigst39 Posts: 434 Member
    edited June 2009
    You dont even have to go into edit town all you have to do is go to a computer or phone and select move, Then a menu will come up and there should be an option to view empty lots and then just pick the one you want and move your sim.
    edited June 2009
    there for sale now but when you click place family it takes away the empty lots.
    edited June 2009
    lol all these ideas work i just do the edit town cuz its faster.
    edited June 2009
    Move in household, click on Sim(s), click "select button" then click empty lot to move into.
    edited June 2009
    thats how it should work but my family has 200,000 dollers and when i click place family it makes the empty lots disappear. Which is why i do edit town
    edited June 2009
    Suprisingly, still a whole lot of empty space that isn't a lot. Mass blank landscape that's just crying out to be made into lots. Wonder why it's so limited like this? What if I want to place a lot next to that river on the road? Seems with it being TS3 now, I'd likely have the opportunity to choose any piece of land that is ajoined to a road and make a lot out of it, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
  • EilonwynnEilonwynn Posts: 309 New Member
    edited June 2009
    N/m - just saw post by OP
  • signegrysignegry Posts: 4
    edited January 2011
    Jalida wrote:
    NEVER MIND!

I was sitting in the tutorial, so it wasn't showing me all the homes and lots for sale only the tutorial homes. Once I went to edit town, I left the tutorial and theres lots of ummm... lots for sale as empty ones.

For anybody else wondering, go to Edit Town by clicking on the button with the 3 dots (...) and then Edit Town. Do this if you are done with the tutorial I guess.

Hello

I have the same problem! But I am playing on a console (PlaySt3) - are you as well?
    I read in the manual that once you are done with the tutorial it will be possible to build from scratch on empty lots, as you too are mentioning. But how do I let the game understand that I am done with the tutorial? How do I choose not to be in a tut.? I have gone into options and clicked tutorials off and I have been on all the lesson-pages, so that they are registered as read and done with. Still, I can't see any of the empty lots.

Can you help me?

Sincerely, Signe