Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Get Together Video Review: Why This Isn't What Simmers Needed

Check out my video review of Get Together!

In this video, I delve into why Get Together isn’t the expansion pack we want, need or deserve. I also discuss EA’s problematic vision for The Sims 4, and the cons of linear gameplay vs. sandbox gameplay.

I worked really hard on this video (and skipped a day of work to make it) so please give a thumbs up and/or a comment if you enjoyed it! I’d also really like to hear what you guys (especially those who disagree with me) have to say about my arguments against Get Together.

Thanks guys, you're the best :)

Comments

• KiwicantdieKiwicantdie Posts: 1,305 Member
    I really liked that video and I agree on many points :)
    -but, on the other hand, I'm reeeally looking forward to this EP.
    I think anything, be it GP, SP or EP, at this point in time, will be something that "we" (a bit too generalized, imo) don't want or truly need now, as long as the family gameplay of TS4 is not addressed. Many would disagree, just like many would agree.
    I want that part of the game implemented and fixed, so that I can finally move on and enjoy EPs like the one that's coming.
    KEBB11a.png
    Origin ID: Kiwicantdie
    Willow Creek | Evergreen Harbor
  • Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member
    edited August 2015
    I was wondering if you felt differently now that a bit more information about how customization groups are and how open ended game play is making a come back with this EP.

People complained for more group play, and this EP will deliver that for those who wanted it.
    People also complained about linear goals and not having the tools to create their own play, this EP delivers some of those tools.

Overall I am very excited for this pack. The thought of using groups to create my own after school activities for the kids, like cub scouts, swim teams, chess club, science camp etc is very exciting. Also, book clubs and fantasy football clubs for the adults.

I'm also going to create private classes. Since you have the option to make the group members mirror what the leader does, you can actually indirectly skill up sims who do not live in your main sims household. You could play it out like a class room. There are tons of possibilities with this.
  • halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member

In this video, I delve into why Get Together isn’t the expansion pack we want, need or deserve. I also discuss EA’s problematic vision for The Sims 4, and the cons of linear gameplay vs. sandbox gameplay.

I worked really hard on this video (and skipped a day of work to make it) so please give a thumbs up and/or a comment if you enjoyed it! I’d also really like to hear what you guys (especially those who disagree with me) have to say about my arguments against Get Together.

I am giving you your first like here and I already gave you a thumb up there on Youtube few days ago. You have said it all. It was just like you knew all what I had in heart word for word.

Your video is perfect and very precise. It really shows that you worked hard on it. Thank you for posting it. Your video and LGR's video are the two videos I loved the most as a reaction to Get Together announcement.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
    edited August 2015
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Tbh, the game is nowhere near as linear as the Sims 2 (the constant non-optional goals that affect gameplay negatively if you don't). I get so sick of the Sims 2 telling me how to play the game.

And idk Simmers having been asking for Sims to be controlled as a group since the dawn of the franchise.

This pack is so overdue it's almost embarrassing it's taken almost 16 years. It's much needed.

What you said about TS2 is more applicable on TS4!! For example in GET TO WORK EP when you follow your sim to his job, you are forced to do what the game wants you. You cant do what you want to do! This is what linear is. You get so sick of it because you want to have the freedom to make your sim do what you want not what EA forces you to do.

In TS2 those wants and fears were optional things just like whims in TS4, you can fulfill them or not. TS4 is way more linear than TS2.

Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Peachlover360Peachlover360 Posts: 179 Member
    No vampires, etc.
    Sign up your sim for big brother.Go sign up right here.It's now or never.When sign up is all done get the latest news on your sims.
    [url="http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/14041057/#]forums.thesims.com/en_US/disscussion/852096/big-brother-sign-up[/url]
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    edited August 2015
    Tbh, the game is nowhere near as linear as the Sims 2 (the constant non-optional goals that affect gameplay negatively if you don't). I get so sick of the Sims 2 telling me how to play the game.

And idk Simmers having been asking for Sims to be controlled as a group since the dawn of the franchise.

This pack is so overdue it's almost embarrassing it's taken almost 16 years. It's much needed.

What you said about TS2 is more applicable on TS4!! For example in GET TO WORK EP when you follow your sim to his job, you are forced to do what the game wants you. You cant do what you want to do! This is what linear is. You get so sick of it because you want to have the freedom to make your sim do what you want not what EA forces you to do.

In TS2 those wants and fears were optional things just like whims in TS4, you can fulfill them or not. TS4 is way more linear than TS2.

That's not true. In GTW, you don't have to finish those goals on top to advance. It slows you down, but at least they don't penalize your sim (besides getting smaller pay). I always let my sim do what he wants or just slack. You only get a drop in job performance if you leave work early.
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
    edited August 2015
    DeKay wrote: »

That's not true. In GTW, you don't have to finish those goals on top to advance. It slows you down, but at least they don't penalize your sim (besides getting smaller pay). I always let my sim do what he wants or just slack. You only get a drop in job performance if you leave work early.

Your sim will not advance in his job if you dont do the redundant tasks. for example for the doctor job my sim have to live with a salary of 124 or something.
    instead they should have set the goals for promotion to how many sims you would treat a day. That makes the game more interesting. When you cant get promoted unless you did those goals then it is forcing me to do so. It is so linear
    giphy.gif
  • Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited August 2015

Thank you for taking the time to make and post that video. I hope those at EA/Maxis will not only watch the video, I hope they will actually DO something about these concerns.

My biggest reason for preferring more sandbox play is that its only limit is the level of a player's imagination. And because players are always growing and changing, so does their imagination. Keep it more sandbox, and there are always opportunities for increased play. Linear play, at least to me, seems very fixed and limited by the "rules" of the game (for lack of a better term, perhaps someone can explain it better than me). So for me personally, I have a much shorter game lifespan with the types of games that are overly focused on linear play. Sandbox games I'm likely to come up with new ideas I want to play out all the time.

• MDancer9112MDancer9112 Posts: 1,086 Member

Well done dude, awesome video. :D

We really are missing the Sims 2/Sims 3 sandbox experience we had.
    I have always thought, without a doubt, that if Sims 2 had an open world,
    It would be the best sandbox/simulation game EVER.
    The things I loved about TS2 is:
    • The Cars
    • All the interactions
    • furniture
    • lighting
    • toddler (Super Cute)
    • The awesome EPS
    • The epic SPS
    And the most important thing:
    The ability to make your own choices.

As you said in the video, about the Get to work gameplay,
    I thought that it was gonna be super awesome...but, even if you got good grades at school, you'd have to be high level in your career to actually do something exciting and it took so long that I just didn't bother in the end. And I agree with you and what you said about retail businesses.
    I got up extra early to watch EA at Gamescom.
    I kinda knew that EA wouldn't do toddlers but I never thought that they would do such a stupid move (AKA not listening to the fans).
    Its too late for them to redeem themselves. Simmers have already left the community and its all their fault.
    Maybe if this was one of the last EPs I probably would have been more ok about it.
    They think that this will attract teenagers.
    Let me tell u, IT WON'T.
    The only people that play the Sims are usually long-term players or normal gamers in general.
    They should know what we want by now.
    And I really don't know if they care.
    The mob dance was UNCALLED FOR and a waste of time and money that they could have put towards toddlers!
    Honestly, like u said, they need to try and focus on CORE GAMEPLAY.
    Otherwise the community will shrink and they WILL loose money.
    giphy.gif
    Me watching GT at Gamescom.
    I'm back!!^-^
    Paradox forum name: aMazingSimmer
  • Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member

Thank you for taking the time to make and post that video. I hope those at EA/Maxis will not only watch the video, I hope they will actually DO something about these concerns.

My biggest reason for preferring more sandbox play is that its only limit is the level of a player's imagination. And because players are always growing and changing, so does their imagination. Keep it more sandbox, and there are always opportunities for increased play. Linear play, at least to me, seems very fixed and limited by the "rules" of the game (for lack of a better term, perhaps someone can explain it better than me). So for me personally, I have a much shorter game lifespan with the types of games that are overly focused on linear play. Sandbox games I'm likely to come up with new ideas I want to play out all the time.

Personally I think the groups featured in this EP are the most 'sandbox' type play we've seen in the sims 4. I hope to see more as the game grows.
  • MikeAM91MikeAM91 Posts: 165 Member
    edited August 2015
    Great video! I agree with you 1000%. I find it sooooo sad that some simmers will lap up anything EA throws at them just because they have fallen for EA's content starvation tactics.

Get Together is NOT an EP. A new world and one major core feature (club/group system) does not make GT worthy of being called an EP and is definitely not worth 40 bucks. If you have to list a closet as one of the major features there is something seriously wrong. I get some people have really wanted a Euro type world or a club/group system, but nobody can honestly say that GT has enough core gameplay features to be called an EP!
  • Merleawe91Merleawe91 Posts: 65 Member
    edited August 2015
    Honestly it has been a little more than a week since we learned about this EP, and the forums have become an increasingly negative place. Peoples opinions are the game are being attacked on both sides and honestly it is getting tiring to be active in the sims community. However, I hope that EA understands why this polarization is happening and tries to work more with the community on Sims 4. Personally, I have been satisfied with how many of the gurus have been handling this game but improvement is needed :)
    tumblr_mskwyi1Ocl1shsxzto1_500%201_zpsecj1snov.gif
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    This EP doesn't shine per se, but it's a good foundation for futures EP. Imagine if they add something like free time, or supernatural, or restaurants. Future EP could take great advantage of the get together system. It's actually an EP they can sell in bundle with the basegame without problems. Not what I want NOW, but maybe there is a reason to release it now.
    SiliClone wrote: »
    This EP doesn't shine per se, but it's a good foundation for futures EP. Imagine if they add something like free time, or supernatural, or restaurants. Future EP could take great advantage of the get together system. It's actually an EP they can sell in bundle with the basegame without problems. Not what I want NOW, but maybe there is a reason to release it now.

Thank you for illustrating the EXACT problem with TS4... Expansions should NOT be foundations for future expansions! The base game is the foundation!!!
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    MikeAM91 wrote: »

Thank you for illustrating the EXACT problem with TS4... Expansions should NOT be foundations for future expansions! The base game is the foundation!!!

It was like this with Sims 2 EPs too, like restaurants in nightlife and open for business. It's only bigger this time, on a business point of view it make sense to try and sell all the EP, SP and GP.
  • domokun2345domokun2345 Posts: 266 Member
    The thing is though.. the EP hasn't even came out yet so why are you reviewing the game
    tumblr_msndau7MBI1qm19jyo1_500.gif
    edited August 2015
    MikeAM91 wrote: »

It was like this with Sims 2 EPs too, like restaurants in nightlife and open for business. It's only bigger this time, on a business point of view it make sense to try and sell all the EP, SP and GP.

It's different than TS2 though because they are trying to sell us an "EP" with the main feature being a single gameplay mechanic (i.e. clubs). I'm fine with having to own GTW in order to run a coffee shop in GT, it's always been like that. But, they can't expect me to pay 40 bucks for one core gameplay addition while telling me look at what a great foundation it is for future DLC. If I'm going to pay for an expansion, I will buy it for whats actually included and not for what a great foundation it will be for future packs... If they don't add another major feature in GT I will not be buying until it is heavily discounted.
    edited August 2015
    The thing is though.. the EP hasn't even came out yet so why are you reviewing the game

I didn't see anyone really reviewing GT, just analyzing what is known.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    Yes but how about the people who don't care about university pets and toddlers? Plus you don't really have to follow anything the game tells you to do its your choice to do it.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • dlaribee88dlaribee88 Posts: 172 Member
    edited August 2015
    I wish EA/Maxis would sit down and listen to what you have to say... You are not speaking for one person. You are speaking for a lot of us. I have played the sims since it first came out and have always bought every expansion, every pack, and a lot of online content (sims 3). I agree with you 1000%. For the first time every I am honestly considering NOT buying this. I never thought I would say that/think that. I am the one who would go at 11:59 pm and get the game at Walmart as soon as it was released because I could not wait one more second. With this expansion, I do not even get a little excited. Like you said... "Too Linear!" and... Who asked for parties and sorority-like stuff? I am with the "family" people... I do miss toddlers. We are missing that huge life stage. And I am sorry, but I am one for story progression. Really, my neighbors never get jobs or have kids on their own? They just age up and die. Great... so exciting.... *highly sarcastic* For people who do not want it, creators can simply make an on/off option for Story Progression...

In my opinion, the only things sims 4 has that keeps me playing sims 4 vs. sims 3 is multitasking and how it performs on my computer (faster). Otherwise, I could live without Sims 4, and would go back to sims 3. However, this expansion is so uninteresting, and it makes me feel like the creativity of the game is diminishing. Bring back the creators with the good ideas please... because this is nonsense... Really, it would be more cost effective just to take the advice of fans instead of paying people to come up with ideas this basic.

Thank you for your video....Sorry (yet not sorry) for ranting...

EA/Maxis... You owe us another expansion pack worth buying...one with stuff/core game play WE ACTUALLY WANT and NEED!
  • joralydjoralyd Posts: 55 Member
    Well done that video was spot on!! Thank you for taking the time to make it. I agree with you 100% and you've given all us family players a voice.

@pepperjax1230 Yes not everyone likes playing with families, generations, simulating real life etc but a heck of a lot of sim players do so please respect that. Plus I think party players have been well accommodated with TS4 up until now in fact the only game play that has been addressed is the party play.

Don't get me wrong I think there is a place for GT (although from the content release I question if it really qualifies as an EP) I just wonder why EA thought it necessary to release another party pack when the game is already very party orientated??
    I took the pledge
    edited August 2015

If this was a good foundation then it should have been in the base game. Base games comes with foundations and EPs expand on them. That is how it should be.
    How many foundations EA is going to realease? and how many EPs will follow?

If this foundation was not released in the base game and will be released in an EP then that EP should come with the foundation and core features showing how this foundation will be used.

The thing is what you are calling as a foundation is just on paper for now. Nobody has seen anything in action.

An example of a good foundation was OFB, It was a foundation for the EPs followed and it had a huge set of core features. It had both.
    giphy.gif
    edited August 2015

Um, have you ever held a job by doing anything you wanted?

Oh please dont use the realism excuse because this will be against the game not for it, like have you seen a ghost having a job in real life? or do you have colleagues who are ghosts?

I think those redundant & tedious tasks inside the job of GTW will wear off so fast. It just gets boring. Time is limited and you have to do the same over and over again.
    giphy.gif