Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are You Ashamed/ Embarrassed to Play The Sims?

BelloGothBelloGoth Posts: 120 Member
edited August 2015 in Off Topic Chat
I've heard a lot of talk about how certain simmers are "ashamed" to tell their gaming friends that they play The Sims, that the sims is for "teenage girls and gay guys," and that it isn't "serious gaming" (which is the silliest load of llama stuff I've ever heard). I'll admit, I game alone and, therefore, do not belong to the larger Call of Duty-like gaming community outside of my sister and me, but it is really odd and ridiculous that people think this way about a hobby.

As we know with gamer gate as well as through the lack of representation in the gaming industry, the larger gaming community seems to be characterized by misogyny, homophobia, and every other type of bigotry out there, so a lot of them are NOT the kind of people whose criticisms we should take to heart.

Are you ashamed to play or tell others that you play The Sims series? I absolutely am NOT, and never really have been, but I've always been kind of independently-minded that way. I was a little embarrassed to tell my partner, and to go on about my families and why it is a BIG deal when my male sims get abducted and stuff when we first started dating (he is cool and doesn't game), but now, a year later, he wants to play! And it had less to do with The Sims and more to do with gaming in general then.

Comments

• 0Chloe0Chloe Posts: 1,922 Member
    I used to be, but that was back in school when I was a kid, and video games were still considered a "geek" thing.

Gaming has taken off on an amazing scale, and people are actually making a LIVING from playing games. So, I'm not ashamed anymore.
    nR9bj3xc5JPW0.gif
  • Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member
    No, not at all. I'm old enough now to where I do what makes me happy without caring what other people think. If someone tries to judge me for liking certain video games then they have their own problems.
  • KiwicantdieKiwicantdie Posts: 1,305 Member
    No, I'm not. At all. Lots of my friends do and enjoy it as well, so... it's a party :smirk:
    KEBB11a.png
    Origin ID: Kiwicantdie
    Willow Creek | Evergreen Harbor
  • BelloGothBelloGoth Posts: 120 Member
    xBob18 wrote: »
    I originally wasn't. But then Gamescom came around...

Don't remind me... And change your signature! That was the most cringe-worthy part of the whole presentation.
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    I'm not, but people don't really get it when I try explaining the creativity side of it. I probably spend more time building and creating sims than I do playing.
  • NordicPhoenix22xNordicPhoenix22x Posts: 301 Member
    No.
    I've been a big fan since TS1 and I've never been ashamed to tell. I do also play other stuff like GTA, Minecraft, racing games and whatnot, I like a wide variety of games.
    I've been laughed at a lot back in my school days, because I was never one of the pretty "girly-girls", but I just never liked those typical girl things. :smiley:
    I guess I'm a proud nerd, gamer and simmer, haha :kissing_heart:
    "Children of the night, Soldiers of our time
    Scream it out loud, One generation
    Riot in the streets, Fighting and debris
    Raise your fist high, the Generation Wild!"
    182kwx.png
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    I do not care what others say about the Sims. I do my own thing! IMO The Sims games are better than the shooting games that show all the blood. I was watching my grown son play grand theft auto the other day and his character died violently several times and I just did not care for it at all. I love to play the Sims and don't think anything of it. It's just a game!

I don't judge people by the games they play in their free time.
  • TildeLTildeL Posts: 188 Member
    edited July 2018
    Post edited by TildeL on
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited August 2015
    Nah it's pretty inconsequential to me what other gamers approve of. I play to have fun. Perhaps they're right It's not serious gaming, but is any other game serious? Maybe Puzzle solvers and Strategic games, but in the end it's a game.

Like Call of Duty, and GTA, when I'm presented with those, I'm like "ew no, beneath me." but do you. It has great graphics and stuff, but seems pointless and a waste of time.

Games like Sims 4, Minecraft, The Long Dark, Kingdom Hearts, Legend of Zelda, Mario, Rayman those games are/were my life.
    Post edited by MasonGamer on
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,935 Member
    I love controlling virtual peoples life from birth to death. Everybody in my game must have at least one child.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Nope, my family knows I plays it. My friends from my hometown knew I played it. Some friends know I play it, but not everyone. We just don't really talk about gaming stuff and if we do play video games together it is usually on the Wii or Wii U now. But nah I wouldn't be embarrassed about the Sims. My mom got freaked out seeing my Simself. XD I actually did use the Sims 2 to help my parents with an add-on room on their house. It was really cool. I figure if I have a house myself, I'll probably use the Sims to figure out where to place the furniture.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • wynwyn Posts: 901 Member
    I wasn't until this last gamescom. The dancing... *shudder* cannot be unseen.
    Origin ID: WyntirLily
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,584 Member
    No, I flaunt it.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Hthr0120Hthr0120 Posts: 292 Member
    No, I am not.
  • LittleMinxUndrLittleMinxUndr Posts: 4,196 Member
    edited August 2015
    EmmaVane wrote: »
    I'm not, but people don't really get it when I try explaining the creativity side of it. I probably spend more time building and creating sims than I do playing.
    That's mostly what motivates me to play the Sims too. Nothing I find more satisfying then to carefully decorate a house. Or play fashion designer with my Sims, creating painstakingly color-cordinated outfits. I think that I might have missed a calling or two looking at my efforts. Especially The Sims 3 is for me much more an activity-package than that it is a game.

I never felt shame for playing the Sims. When I was still holding down a desk at the UN-HQ in Brussels, I had TS2 on my laptop and brought them along everywhere I went. I have shown the game on my travels to many people. The most fun show&tell I had that way was when I showed the game to a group of pakistani military officers. The most profound one was showing the game to children in an etheopian refugee camp. If only for a moment, they smiled.
    I have seen some aweful stuff during my professional life, far removed from what the media shows in the news. Having the Sims with me made it possible to put my mind off things when in a lonely hotelroom in some conflictzone or another. I owe Maxis a lot in that respect. Even now, when memories come back to haunt me, playing the Sims helps me getting past those flash-memories.
    So no. I'm not ashamed. I'm thankful.

• AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    No, never was. I'm not embarrassed or ashamed of anything I like to do.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • LoMaSums3LoMaSums3 Posts: 54 Member
    I'm the sims geek girl at school, but am I ashamed? No, I love the game and the franchise and I'm happy to call my self as a gamer
  • SkobeeSkobee Posts: 2,864 Member
    When I was younger it wasn't really considered normal for a girl to game, a lot of the times it was "attention seeking" or doing it so boys will like you. Luckily time has changed a lot and I know so many people who play different kinds of game, not to mention making a living out of it, so no, not ashamed (anymore). I love it and I can say i'm a gamer without people judging you which is fantastic :blush:
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    When I explained the sims to non simmer friends they think I am a bit creepy playing with simulated people especially when I told them I have a sim version of them in my game !
  • take0nmetake0nme Posts: 3,682 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    No, I flaunt it.

This. *finger snaps*
    DyFJE8G.jpg
    The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Gallery ID : sharipants
  • AmazingamphyAmazingamphy Posts: 1,733 Member
    I play whatever game I want, and any plums can deal with it.
    HmypxT0.png
    Gone from this place and never coming back. P5 is good
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Naw, makes for good mischief, especially among my more hardcore gaming friends who I like to make and send sim caricatures of them - lol :)
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    No I'm not embarrassed in the least. That's kind of like a high school thing when you had to do the "cool" thing or you were out, and I never understood that. I place it on par with gamer elitists.. my game is better than yours because its serious game mentality is pretty silly to me.

Now there are people I wouldn't bring up the sims too. It's not a conversation opener. It's almost on the par with discussing religion or politics with people that are not like-minded. I don't live to debate.
    egTcBMc.png
  • AmiutzaAmiutza Posts: 1,796 Member
    Hahaha, no. I was one of those "serious gamers", playing high profile stuff at competitive levels. All I got from it is anger issues, lol.

Now I mostly play single player games (with a match or two of Hearthstone here and there), and it's about unleashing my creative side. For example, I play Prison Architect (awesome, awesome game), Cities skylines, Life is strange and South Park the stick of truth, the fart jokes rpg. And honestly, I'm a happier person in general.

Ashamed? Never. And I will laugh in anyone's face who would tell me I should be.
    hhHD2XB.png
    My tumblr - A world of clutter and color