Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What first attracted you to The Sims?

Comments

• DilaxerDilaxer Posts: 270 Member
    I was at my cousin's birthday and there was his cousin, and his cousin bough there a computer and said:
    -Hey guys! Check this out!
    And in her game (Sims 2) she created us and we had all a family and blablabla and i found it a lot of fun! And right as i come back home, i shout:
    -BROTHER! BUY ME SIMS.

And that's how my journey began. ;)
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    I have no idea really... maybe I just liked the box art at the store. I really purchased TS1 on a whim... I didn't even play PC games truthfully and had only ever tried (and enjoyed) MYST. Once I started to play it though... game over. I've been a Sims fan ever since and have never looked back. I want to hurry up and retire just so I can play the Sims all day every day until I die.

Ha ha, life goals! :D

It's so funny to think this little game had such a big impact on our lives!
  • meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    meeoun wrote: »
    I started off with the Sims 2. I was 8 yrs old. I saw this commercial upon its release when I was looking up stuff for SimCity 4 (I LOVED that game)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUc_VDWRAQo

When Sims 2 came out my mom bought it for me for my 8th birthday. I was really excited but found out I couldn't even play it. I needed a better computer. So for 2 months I couldn't play my new game and I saved up my allowance. I did busy work jobs for my grandma, picked up dog poop for a neighbor in hopes to purchase a better desktop. With the help of my brother and my savings, I bought a new computer and was able to play it.

I use to get bullied a lot during those early years of my life due to my accent (my family is originally from Shanghai). Any who, I use to make people who bullied me in school and kill them. It delighted me so. I even told one of the bullies I'm gonna drown and burn them in my game as soon as I got home from class--it completely horrified him. Everyone thought I was creepy and that I did voodoo stuff so the bulling decreased.
    : )

That trailer is great, I don't think I've ever seen that one before! It's so stylised though and far from the actual game. It's actually much closer to how TS4 sims move. Those boobs though! XD

I loved the aspirations from TS2, how they really had an impact on the wishes of our sims.

I'm impressed at your determination to earn money and get that new computer, especially at a young age. So the game acted as a kind of cathartic tool for you? To help you deal with your frustrations.

Yes it did. It was also the arch enemy of my dragon-lady mother who preferred for me to play piano for enjoyment instead. I am very happy I found this game. I just want to be clear that I no longer make people I know and kill them anymore. : ) Now I just make stories with my game.
  • SkobeeSkobee Posts: 2,864 Member
    Ah, I was really young and I remember being at home a lot, I didn't have any friends so I mostly sat on the computer ( the family pc back then ) and one day my mom came home with Sims 1, she said it would be nice for me to explore a new world. I was hooked ever since. It was nice to play a game that made me feel I belonged to something, really happy my mom bought it for me because I just love how it helped me trough rough times.

I think the Sims franchise is the only one that stuck with me all those years! :blush:
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Sim City.

My gateway drug as well.

I remember I was babysitting and the parents gave me the option to play the nintendo after the child was asleep.
    They had Sim City in the console.

It was the absolute coolest thing ever. I loved being able to build the city and watch it grow.
    I went and spent my babysitting money on the game. lmao.

It all just kinda went from there... ahhh memories. <3

I didn't even know there was a console version of SimCity! :-O

I'm still hoping they incorporate some SimCity type features in TS4. I want to rule the world! Ahha!
    edited August 2015
    Astro wrote: »
    Hmm, I think it was just the fact that I'd never seen anything like it before, and I felt like I just had to play it. XD

:)

edit: I killed the quote. -___-
    edited August 2015
    JeanBaby4 wrote: »
    It was my big sister. She kept going on about this new game that was coming out where you could control little people! I was like wow fo' real? And then I watched her play the sims for hours and hours because I was too scared to play it myself (I didn't want to accidentally kill a sim). Ironically, my favourite story from the sims1 was my serial killer George clooney lol. Ah, good times.

George Clooney was a serial killer? I'll never watch ER in the same way again! :o

I really like your avvi by the way!
    Dilaxer wrote: »
    I was at my cousin's birthday and there was his cousin, and his cousin bough there a computer and said:
    -Hey guys! Check this out!
    And in her game (Sims 2) she created us and we had all a family and blablabla and i found it a lot of fun! And right as i come back home, i shout:
    -BROTHER! BUY ME SIMS.

And that's how my journey began. ;)

Ha ha! Instant addiction! It's contagious! A lot of people have seen their friends/family playing and then become addicted too!
    meeoun wrote: »

Yes it did. It was also the arch enemy of my dragon-lady mother who preferred for me to play piano for enjoyment instead. I am very happy I found this game. I just want to be clear that I no longer make people I know and kill them anymore. : ) Now I just make stories with my game.

Ha ha! It's understandable that people do this. The game allows us to do things we'd never do in real life! 100 baby challenge anyone? XD

I think that's part of its appeal, being able to explore life in ways we wouldn't usually be able to. Having celebrities and supernatural creatures and stuff. I play a mostly realistic game, but I like playing in rotation and experiencing all these different roles and situations.
  • carla70carla70 Posts: 575 Member
    Oh my...Let see I was a big fan of SimCity to start and all the City series after that. However, My first encounter of THE SIMS game itself was me looking at a magazine at the bookstore. Think it was PC gamer but not quite sure way back in 1999 (about) Fell in love then,couldn't wait for it to come out joined chats and forums about the Sims game. Finally it came out in 2000 bought it the day it came out. Played it for hours non stop forgot to get my twins from the bus stop. Thankfully the bus driver stopped at my house. (embarrassing and guilty never happen again cause I set a alarm clock this time) :)

Ah, I was really young and I remember being at home a lot, I didn't have any friends so I mostly sat on the computer ( the family pc back then ) and one day my mom came home with Sims 1, she said it would be nice for me to explore a new world. I was hooked ever since. It was nice to play a game that made me feel I belonged to something, really happy my mom bought it for me because I just love how it helped me trough rough times.

I think the Sims franchise is the only one that stuck with me all those years! :blush:

Honestly, the game is a catharsis for me too. I can't remember all the times I've felt so stressed or down about something and just absorbing myself in the game has helped me to relax and get through whatever it was that I was coping with. So, I share this sentiment. And I think knowing how important the game is to some of us as a fallback when times are hard, helps to explain why some of us act so emotionally when a feature isn't what we expected it to be. If we feel the game is lacking or a feature is half-hearted it can feel like the gurus are letting us down. It has become so much more than a 'game' for so many of us. And I think some of us have a little panic if we think the developers are moving the game in a new direction because it's like kicking away someone's crutch! XD

(I'm using 'we' loosely here, I know people have different feelings and experiences towards the game.)

And the community is so so so amazing! Only last week I was very upset about something and I went on Twitter to catch up on the news, within minutes some of my simming friends had started to be silly and I was laughing again! <3
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    I was one of those doubtful "Is this really a game?"-people when the first announcements were made. Bought it at release day, just to see how it would turn out and to be able to say that I had been there. Once I took the first actions I "realized" that Sims was just another roleplaying game where you skill and buy new equipment to face harder challenges - albeit in a very exotic setting compared to the usual fantasy ones. Well, it is much more, but this mental construct helped me accept the game. I came to enjoy rotational play most, adding new sims and interweaving their stories with those of the other people already living in the street (Sim Lane it was called, I think).

What keeps me playing the series is it´s wonderful versatility. You can play idyllic suburban family life or have your sims live as stoneage hunters, Gulag inmates or astronauts, re-enact your favorite movies or do anything in between. CC and mods help to make those worlds believeable, but I built my first spacestation in Sims 1 long before I looked into 3rd party content.
  • Meela_PashtMeela_Pasht Posts: 704 Member
    I played The Sims a long time ago but for some reason I uninstalled it and tucked it away. Then one day while watching tv, a commercial came on and the guy said "simoleons". I didn't realize that the game was still around so I checked it out and bought Sims 3. Thus, here I am today. :smiley:
    If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all. Live in your Truth.
    carla70 wrote: »
    Oh my...Let see I was a big fan of SimCity to start and all the City series after that. However, My first encounter of THE SIMS game itself was me looking at a magazine at the bookstore. Think it was PC gamer but not quite sure way back in 1999 (about) Fell in love then,couldn't wait for it to come out joined chats and forums about the Sims game. Finally it came out in 2000 bought it the day it came out. Played it for hours non stop forgot to get my twins from the bus stop. Thankfully the bus driver stopped at my house. (embarrassing and guilty never happen again cause I set a alarm clock this time) :)

Oh no! I've had a few close calls like that myself where I've looked at the clock and though, 'OH NO!!!' and rushed about for something! I don't remember seeing any advertising for the original game, I think we just stumbled across it while we were in the toy shop and were like, 'Whatizdiis?'! I was quite young and only had a basic second-hand PC for school stuff, and I certainly didn't have good internet! So I missed out on a lot of the early online stuff, like Sim Social. I remember when I did get online I filled my hard drive with soooooooo much CC! It was like sim-Christmas!
  • kerryn96kerryn96 Posts: 205 Member
    I think I was about 7 years old when my mother bought the Sims 1 to play. I don't remember much but I remember watching her thinking it looked so cool how you could build and furnish houses and then control the little people who lived inside them. She didn't play the game for long though, so when she got tired of it, it was basically all mine.
    I actually played the Sims for many years without even caring that there was a Sims 2 out by then. It wasn't until about 2008, I was out shopping and I found The Sims 2 Deluxe Edition on clearance, and thought to myself "ah, why the hell not! I love the first Sims so much, I wonder what this will be like!" and bought it (nevermind the fact that TS3 was about to be released at this point! haha)
    And that's basically how the addiction began :)
    Ooops, I just realised how much I'm spamming this thread! I'm going to go and do some real-life stuff for a change (Dishwashing simulator anyone? Nope?) and I'll be back to catch up on everyone's comments soon. Thank you everyone who has replied so far! I really like hearing how everyone stumbled over the game. ^__^
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Sim City.

Hi Cinebar! o/

So you played SimCity first? And did you just think, 'Hey, I'll give that other Sims game a try'?

No, I also played adventure games and really enjoyed them. Then I saw the little trailer at some point in something from Sim City (can't remember which one) was curious about those little people. The little trailer showing them at a construction site. But I still continued to play SC and my other games until about six months after TS1 was released. Then it was because my son asked me why didn't I have it, because everyone at work was playing it. It was wild (according to him, lol) and kept going even if you walked away from the pc. I finally caved but the first time I saw it was because of Sim City.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • wotzittoyahwotzittoyah Posts: 115 Member
    @Cinderellimouse For me it was the Sims Bustin' Out and The Urbz that got me into the proper sims games. My parents bought me Bustin Out and the Urbz for my Gamecube and I was hooked and so I started playing the Sims 2 as well :)
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    I'm going to go and do some real-life stuff for a change (Dishwashing simulator anyone? Nope?)
    I heard tell this particular game is a lot easier to beat if you have either the husband-dlc or the bored teen offspring-dlc installed ;)

• teaa5teaa5 Posts: 1,407 Member
    The opportunity to be "the God" for some time in the day:P jkjk a game play and building opportunities, stories, which appears in the head and then you can literally see them "come to life".. I think this made me the most attracted to the sims and I've never played sims1 or 2.. so open worlds in sims 3 just made me love the game:)) I love games.. and sims series will always be my fav. Maybe one day there will be a virtual sims where you can be a part of the sims game play and try to live a totally different life that yours day-by -day:)
    00.jpg

Origin ID : kateteaa Twitter: MunchPumpkins
    Sims 3 wishlist: http://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=teaa5
    Sims 4 origin wishlist: https://www.origin.com/gbr/en-us/view-wishlist/7a1SQrtJtdHoNce4KS_ZTg--
  • Sim ShadySim Shady Posts: 297 Member
    My Dad's always really loved video games, and he was actually the first person to introduce me to The Sims when he bought the very first game. :) I have such great memories of being little and him teaching me how to play it. Lol, he'd always find it sort of half frustrating and half amusing that I just wanted to annoy the Mom that you had to move out from living with. I really enjoyed playing with the pre-made families in the first game, and I absolutely adored The Sims 2 when it came out - I used to sit and play it for hours. One of my favourite things to do was make my Sims fall in love. Then I got The Sims 3 for one of my birthdays (can't remember which one, oops) and I think that's the game I've spent the longest playing out of all the Sims games I've ever owned. It was just magical to me at the time. I thought the open world was amazing, I loved making families and watching my Sims just live their lives.

So I guess the main reason I love The Sims is because I've pretty much grown up with it, and it's always been a very special part of me. Also, I've never found any other video game that measures up to its brilliance, and that shows just how good it is. I'll probably still be playing it when I'm an old lady. :lol:
    duck.jpg
  • Sim ShadySim Shady Posts: 297 Member
    @Cinderellimouse For me it was the Sims Bustin' Out and The Urbz that got me into the proper sims games. My parents bought me Bustin Out and the Urbz for my Gamecube and I was hooked and so I started playing the Sims 2 as well :)

Omg yessss! How could I forget the Urbz? :D I always loved that game so so much and I wish to this day that they'd release it on PC because it was so fun. I loved all the different sort of levels you could get to, and how you earned reputation, plus how they had the Black Eyed Peas and some of their music in the game. It's been years since I played it but I still have some really fond memories of it.
    duck.jpg
    I was one of those doubtful "Is this really a game?"-people when the first announcements were made. Bought it at release day, just to see how it would turn out and to be able to say that I had been there. Once I took the first actions I "realized" that Sims was just another roleplaying game where you skill and buy new equipment to face harder challenges - albeit in a very exotic setting compared to the usual fantasy ones. Well, it is much more, but this mental construct helped me accept the game. I came to enjoy rotational play most, adding new sims and interweaving their stories with those of the other people already living in the street (Sim Lane it was called, I think).

What keeps me playing the series is it´s wonderful versatility. You can play idyllic suburban family life or have your sims live as stoneage hunters, Gulag inmates or astronauts, re-enact your favorite movies or do anything in between. CC and mods help to make those worlds believeable, but I built my first spacestation in Sims 1 long before I looked into 3rd party content.

I play rotationally too, and like you say, I love interweaving their stories! I keep hoping for more community tools to help me manage the world as a whole. Features like having an active town hall with a mayor and political parties, and community workers... And to have some sort of money system for the whole 'hood. I'd also love for my decisions to have more of an impact on the lives of my sims, so say as mayor I increased spending on wind farms: then the sims would be healthier and would have cheaper energy bills, that sort of thing. In my TS3 world I'm setting it up so the town has a food supply, no free food from the fridge! And I won't be using the grocery rabbithole to restock, but sims will have to grow their own food and sell it to each other at the market.

Ooops, I got carried away there, sorry! *^__^*

I agree about the versatility of the game! On the whole I play a very realistic non-fantasy game, but I do like those out-of-this-world features and find ways to incorporate them into my game. So in TS3 I have a science-guy who will develop technology to a point where he can travel into the future, taking advantage of that expansion. But not every sim will be able to do that. I like that the TS4 science career eventually leads to Sixam. I'd love to see your TS1 space station!!!
    edited August 2015
    I played The Sims a long time ago but for some reason I uninstalled it and tucked it away. Then one day while watching tv, a commercial came on and the guy said "simoleons". I didn't realize that the game was still around so I checked it out and bought Sims 3. Thus, here I am today. :smiley:

Hee hee, we'll have the gurus adding subliminal advertising next! Characters in T.V shows will start saying trigger words to get us all playing again! XD

edit: So THAT'S why I keep hearing old sims music on The Apprentice (UK) and Horrible Histories! :o
    kerryn96 wrote: »
    I think I was about 7 years old when my mother bought the Sims 1 to play. I don't remember much but I remember watching her thinking it looked so cool how you could build and furnish houses and then control the little people who lived inside them. She didn't play the game for long though, so when she got tired of it, it was basically all mine.
    I actually played the Sims for many years without even caring that there was a Sims 2 out by then. It wasn't until about 2008, I was out shopping and I found The Sims 2 Deluxe Edition on clearance, and thought to myself "ah, why the hell not! I love the first Sims so much, I wonder what this will be like!" and bought it (nevermind the fact that TS3 was about to be released at this point! haha)
    And that's basically how the addiction began :)

I did the opposite, I got my mum addicted! XD