March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Help Getting the Sims Complete Collection to run on Windows 10.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
Am I the only one having issues getting the original Sims working on Windows 10?

The game installs fine, but whenever I try to start it up I get an error message that says "Access Denied: Please login with administrator permissions and try again". The obvious solution of right clicking the game's icon and selecting "Run as administrator" gets rid of the error message, but then the game just doesn't start up at all.

I've also tried running it in compatibility mode multiple times and that didn't help. I'm also having this issue with another old game made around the same time, so I'm wondering if it's related.

Any thoughts on what I can do to fix this?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    Update: I've have discovered the problem.

More Information can be found about it here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/secdrvsys-not-loading-in-windows-10-this-will/65a6fe83-08df-4760-b2ad-6b1ce61d40d4?auth=1

The only solution seems to be either finding a digital copy (not possible with Sims) or modding the game to not use the disc. Currently looking for a mod to do this from a trustworthy website...
  • Juniormints74Juniormints74 Posts: 288 Member
    Am I the only one having issues getting the original Sims working on Windows 10?

The game installs fine, but whenever I try to start it up I get an error message that says "Access Denied: Please login with administrator permissions and try again". The obvious solution of right clicking the game's icon and selecting "Run as administrator" gets rid of the error message, but then the game just doesn't start up at all.

I've also tried running it in compatibility mode multiple times and that didn't help. I'm also having this issue with another old game made around the same time, so I'm wondering if it's related.

Same here...hopefully Microsoft will have a fix for this soon

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    Installing the mod that bypasses the disc and running the game in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP2 fixed the problem for me. A modified Sims.exe to do this can be found here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByvqSle1TbhCSGJETG1Ha3lEUUE/view?usp=sharing

I have uploaded it to Google Drive, as the website I found it on was a bit sketchy. I scanned it with my anitvirus and it came up normal... Google Drive also scans anything you upload with it's antivirus, but regardless use at your own risk. Please note that this is not a link to a pirated version of the game, just a fixed Sims.exe that will allow the game to launch on Windows 10. I own the game and installed it on my computer via the installation disks. Obviously you will have to own the game too for this to work.

Instructions on getting it working:

1.) Make sure you already have the game installed on your computer.

2.) Go to :C > Program Files (x86) > Maxis > Sims. Rename the Sims.exe to sims.old. Make sure you keep this file in case the new one doesn't work.

3.) Download the file and move the new Sims.exe to the same folder (:C > Program Files (x86) > Maxis > Sims).

4.) Launch, run the game in compatibility mode if necessary.

5.) If it works, enjoy. If not, remove the new Sims.exe and change the old one to it's original name.

Good luck.

Hopefully this helps anyone who's spent hours searching the internet trying to find a solution to this issue.

• SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    Thanks :) I just bought the complete collection on amazon and this will help when I upgrade to Windows 10.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • BennehzBennehz Posts: 4 New Member
    edited August 2015
    Hi! This works perfectly but seems to be 800x600, is there any way you can get it to run 1024x768 instead? (I play on windowed mode.)

Edit:Fixed, for anyone else interested, just add -r1024x768 to the target link on the properties tab :)
  • winterlocwinterloc Posts: 348 Member
    Oh my goodness. It worked I now have sims1 back. Thank you Thank you Thank you. Now if I can only get sims 2 and three to work. This is awesome thank you so very very much.
    Your Simmy friend,
    Winterloc
  • winterlocwinterloc Posts: 348 Member
    edited August 2015
    Just an update to using this link. I have two sims 1 games meaning all cds installed meaning I have two same game but two different play set ups. I got one to work but it was really an earlier install and play of the game. I have tons of mods but I am not sure now how to install them into this older game play.

In my second game install I tried this fix but it did not work. That is where I have my newer install. I have all the mods installed there and that was the game I was really playing. I do not know how I actually did that a while back but I never could get the older game to play. Now I am playing the older game and it works fine. I would like to do this fix to the other game.

I hope I have made sense here. I am going to give this ago again today. I just downloaded the fix again.
    Thank you so much PlumbBob_Theif. Without this fix I would not be playing any sims games. At present I can only play sims 1

Your simmy friend,
    Winterloc
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,913 Member
    I got it running, but then I was stuck. First, it was generating old town, then celebrity sims, then those fans, and then magic town, and all over again. Those never ended. I went back to Windows 7, and that problem was gone.
  • Chevy2242Chevy2242 Posts: 6 New Member
    edited August 2015
    Thank you so much for posting this. I was so bummed when I couldn't get it to run. Thanks for making my day!
  • Juniormints74Juniormints74 Posts: 288 Member
    EgonVM wrote: »
    I got it running, but then I was stuck. First, it was generating old town, then celebrity sims, then those fans, and then magic town, and all over again. Those never ended.

This is what happened in my game as well.

• CooCoo Posts: 1 New Member
    > @EgonVM said:
    > I got it running, but then I was stuck. First, it was generating old town, then celebrity sims, then those fans, and then magic town, and all over again. Those never ended. I went back to Windows 7, and that problem was gone.

I had the same problem. Running it as administrator cleared this one up for me.
  • jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    Anybody try virtual machine? I do not want to use it if it will hurt my machine
  • ivazukaivazuka Posts: 2 New Member
    > @Bennehz said:
    > Hi! This works perfectly but seems to be 800x600, is there any way you can get it to run 1024x768 instead? (I play on windowed mode.)
    >
    > Edit:Fixed, for anyone else interested, just add -r1024x768 to the target link on the properties tab :)
    >
    >

What does this mean?
  • ivazukaivazuka Posts: 2 New Member
    Is there something similar for The Sims Creator?
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    You have a good chance of getting the ultimate collection through EA customer support. Just back up your neighborhoods and cc and stuff and get that shiny plopped into your origin account. :)
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • canitbemancanitbeman Posts: 396 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    You have a good chance of getting the ultimate collection through EA customer support. Just back up your neighborhoods and cc and stuff and get that shiny plopped into your origin account. :)
    They are talking about The Sims 1. ;)

in7xjb5WX7PIyv2bAPK9om-UpQ6lu50OmTOOMedFkabQlJ6WAblttI-YkjpbwbaMsZYP99rvrxYZYvusuoiZY9kgoOukGZu8miL-x4i5Vjt_4VS982WP32Goc22ldJNMZMCL6b2pKA=w2400
  • canitbemancanitbeman Posts: 396 Member
    ivazuka wrote: »
    > @Bennehz said:
    > Hi! This works perfectly but seems to be 800x600, is there any way you can get it to run 1024x768 instead? (I play on windowed mode.)
    >
    > Edit:Fixed, for anyone else interested, just add -r1024x768 to the target link on the properties tab :)
    >
    >

What does this mean?
    If you right-click on The Sims 1 shortcut and choose "properties", a menu will popup and there will be a textbox labeled "Target." If you add -r1024x768 to the end of the textbox, your game will run at a higher resolution.

this_zpsoz8vvysh.png

in7xjb5WX7PIyv2bAPK9om-UpQ6lu50OmTOOMedFkabQlJ6WAblttI-YkjpbwbaMsZYP99rvrxYZYvusuoiZY9kgoOukGZu8miL-x4i5Vjt_4VS982WP32Goc22ldJNMZMCL6b2pKA=w2400
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    canitbeman wrote: »
    Aine wrote: »
    They are talking about The Sims 1. ;)
    OH okay, nevermind me then. ;)
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • SookieTawdrySookieTawdry Posts: 1 New Member
    edited September 2015
    > @canitbeman said:
    > ivazuka wrote: »
    >
    >
    >
    > If you right-click on The Sims 1 shortcut and choose "properties", a menu will popup and there will be a textbox labeled "Target." If you add -r1024x768 to the end of the textbox, your game will run at a higher resolution.

Thank you so much for this fix! I got the 800 to work, but not the 1024. I currently have windows 10, but I don't have a shortcut tab in my properties menu. Does anyone know of a workaround?
  • ObsessovandObsessovand Posts: 1 New Member
    edited October 2015
    [quote="SookieTawdry;14084242"]> @canitbeman said:
    > ivazuka wrote: »
    >
    >
    >
    > If you right-click on The Sims 1 shortcut and choose "properties", a menu will popup and there will be a textbox labeled "Target." If you add -r1024x768 to the end of the textbox, your game will run at a higher resolution.

Thank you so much for this fix! I got the 800 to work, but not the 1024. I currently have windows 10, but I don't have a shortcut tab in my properties menu. Does anyone know of a workaround? [/quote]

I had this problem too. It's because we tried to open the properties of the actual application. Create a shortcut first on your desktop and you'll get that shortcut tab when you try from there!
  • mab6644mab6644 Posts: 3 New Member
    I tried the download that was posted further up, the modified sims thing but it said it could not find the data or something.. I am about to accept the fact I just wasted money :(
  • MyaMya Posts: 68 Member
    Will this work with the Sims 2 on a Windows 8 laptop?
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    Mya wrote: »
    Will this work with the Sims 2 on a Windows 8 laptop?
    This thread is about Sims 1. For Sims 2, try running it in Win XP SP3 compatibility mode, and be sure to run it as an administrator.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    edited December 2015
    Because of these compatibility issues, I wish they would put the Sims Complete Collection on Origin, and update it so it will run on Windows 8 and 10. (I had no trouble installing Sims Complete Collection on Windows 7 when running as administrator and running in compatibility for Windows XP SP3.) By the way, the no-cd mod for Sims 1 doesn't work unless you have the game installed, and the only reliable way to install the game is to own the cd set. I also wish they would put the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection back on Origin. I just got a new Windows 10 computer, and I have Sims 2 Store Edition on Origin, but that requires Sims 2 to first be installed. Also, with Sims 2 Store edition, the fraternity in SimState University household won't load.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • Dimon6579Dimon6579 Posts: 501 Member
    I want to thank the individual that made this patch. Because of this, i can now play sims 1 again. I was very depressed for quite awhile that i could no longer play sims 1, even made worse by the fact that i was forced to get windows 10 and not my choice. Luckily, this patch works wonders, and to tell others about it, i posted it on here:

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Other-The-Sims-Games/The-sims-1-on-Windows-10-please-sticky-this/m-p/5024650#M398

BTW, anyone who knows me on here, i apologize for the long absence. Many bad things and depression in real life has hit me. I don't wish to upset people, but i have now little time to play games, so i try my best to do it when i can. Thanks for understanding.
    A sims 4 player, but i mostly play on steam. I do not own sims 4 on steam, but thru origin. I play on few occasions sims 4.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top