Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

- Can my Mac run The Sims 4? Answers can be found here -

Comments

• BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member

@BlueBellFlora have you seen people with Nvidia 300 series cards on Mac that can play this game? I know on PC its been a problem

Yep, there are a couple in the graphics thread who are playing fine. It's performing better than the Intel which have more VRAM.You really can't compare the PC and Mac issues because of the OS and drivers :)

apple-signature.png
  • GreenDayGreenDay Posts: 669 Member

Well it happily exceeds the recommended requirements. You might like to install more RAM though, not just for TS4 but to give your Mac a boost :) Your MBP can support 8Gb RAM.

For upgrading the RAM, my MBP started out with 4GB of RAM, I took it in to upgrade the RAM and everywhere I had read, including the official Apple site said my computer could support up to 8GB of RAM. Though when I took it in to purchase the upgrade, I was told that my computer could support 16GB even though I couldn't find anywhere that said it could. It seems to run find with the 16GB, but i'm confused as to why I can't find anywhere that supports the information.
    @GreenDay Yes, that's very common. My mid 2012 15" MBP only officially supports 8Gb RAM but I installed 16Gb when I got it and it's fine and can utilise it all. It's down to what RAM was available and most used at the time of that specific model being produced. Also cost as RAM really drops in price when more powerful chips are produced. Apple don't bother changing the tech. specs. though, nor provide more RAM in the custom build. I only ever buy Kingston RAM. It's very good quality and has a lifetime guarantee.
    apple-signature.png
  • LeoraMartinLeoraMartin Posts: 33 Member
    Thank you!
    I have a Mac, and it works fine.
    But the graphics are UGH! :s
  • sadeemnazarsadeemnazar Posts: 4 New Member
    > @BluebellFlora said:

> The new MacBook has a very low spec. processor and no fan. If you can get the game to run it will most likely fry your Mac after a while due to stresses and heat. The new MacBook is the most underpowered of all Macs, even the MacBook Air is more powerful.
    >
    > Let us know how you get on though if you decide to install it but honestly, I absolutely would not risk installing it on the MacBook. I've seen articles online where people have installed games but for me it would be too much of a risk.
    >
    > What Sims games were you playing before and on what computers?

Thanks so much!

I was playing Sims 2 on a Hp, but the ram is really low and the computer was slow, so i bought a macbook pro (2009) and i played Sims 3, I played for about a month then it stopped working due to the addition of world adventures, then I managed to fix it, then it stopped, due to a disk problem. So I bought a new a new Sim 3 CD, it worked but without the expansion pack. So i gave up. Downloaded it on the friends computer and let her play. So now i bought a new mac, hoping I could play. Not sure now though. I'll look up what happens with other games.

Thanks again!

Hopefully it doesn't fry :tongue:
    @BluebellFlora
    @sadeemnazar TS4 is native to OS X whereas TS3 used Cider which was the root of all evil with the game. I honestly still wouldn't risk it but it's your Mac :)
    apple-signature.png
    BluebellFlora said:
    > sadeemnazar TS4 is native to OS X whereas TS3 used Cider which was the root of all evil with the game. I honestly still wouldn't risk it but it's your Mac :)

I used it and it works fine! It doesn't heat up that much, the only thing is in order for it to run without lagging I need to run it on a low graphics and stuff, but so far so good :)
    I used it and it works fine! It doesn't heat up that much, the only thing is in order for it to run without lagging I need to run it on a low graphics and stuff, but so far so good :)

That's great! Be careful though, even though the hardware is good quality it will eventually suffer if it's exposed to too much heat too often.
    apple-signature.png
  • ImNotAPunkieImNotAPunkie Posts: 3 New Member
    edited June 2015
    Hi, i was wondering if my Macbook Pro could run The Sims 4 on Ultra or high.
    Specs
    15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display
    2.8GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz
    16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    1TB PCIe-based Flash Storage
    Intel Iris Pro Graphics & AMD Radeon R9 M370X with 2GB GDDR5 memory
    Thank you :)
    Hi, i was wondering if my Macbook Pro could run The Sims 4 on Ultra or high.
    Specs
    15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display
    2.8GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz
    16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    1TB PCIe-based Flash Storage
    Intel Iris Pro Graphics & AMD Radeon R9 M370X with 2GB GDDR5 memory
    Thank you :)

Yes :)
    apple-signature.png
  • ImNotAPunkieImNotAPunkie Posts: 3 New Member
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    > ImNotAPunkie wrote: »
    >
    > Hi, i was wondering if my Macbook Pro could run The Sims 4 on Ultra or high.
    > Specs
    > 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display
    > 2.8GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz
    > 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    > 1TB PCIe-based Flash Storage
    > Intel Iris Pro Graphics & AMD Radeon R9 M370X with 2GB GDDR5 memory
    > Thank you :)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Yes :)
    YAY! Thank you! :)
  • TulojowTulojow Posts: 14 New Member
    Thank you so much for the mac assessment services! I have an older MacBook Pro and I've grown tired of fighting the Sims 3 and am contemplating switching up to Sims 4. My mac meets almost all of the requirements, except a different graphics and am curious if/how that would effect things.

MacBook Pro 17in mid 2009
    OS X 10.9.5
    2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo w/ upgraded 240gb Solid State SATA Drive
    8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

Again, thank you!
    Tulojow wrote: »
    Thank you so much for the mac assessment services! I have an older MacBook Pro and I've grown tired of fighting the Sims 3 and am contemplating switching up to Sims 4. My mac meets almost all of the requirements, except a different graphics and am curious if/how that would effect things.

MacBook Pro 17in mid 2009
    OS X 10.9.5
    2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo w/ upgraded 240gb Solid State SATA Drive
    8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

Again, thank you!

Your Mac has a dedicated graphics card too, the NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512Mb. According to the GraphicsCard.sgr file you should be able to play on medium settings :)
    apple-signature.png
  • TulojowTulojow Posts: 14 New Member
    Perfect! Thank you so much - your offering a valuable service!
  • THEREALCH0SEN1THEREALCH0SEN1 Posts: 7 New Member
    edited July 2015
    Hi everyone! Thank you for doing this. I was wondering if my friend's MacBook Pro could run Sims on high and Ultra.
    Here are my Specs:

MacBook Pro 15 mid 2015
    OS X 10.10.4
    2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
    Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
    16GB 1600MHz memory
    512GB PCIe-based flash storage1
    Intel Iris Pro Graphics
    AMD Radeon R9 M370X with 2GB GDDR5 memory

Thanks again.
    Post edited by THEREALCH0SEN1 on
  • puhtahpuhtah Posts: 2 New Member
    i just bought a new laptop and idk if itll work? :)

OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.4
    Macbook Air (11-inch, Early 2015)
    Processor: 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Startup disk: Macintosh HD
    Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB
  • AlaskayounggAlaskayoungg Posts: 1 New Member
    edited July 2015
    Hi! I've been meaning to buy TS4 for my macbook, but im scared it won't run. I've had TS3 for a while with almost every expansion pack installed and it crashed a few times but nothing i couldn't fix, other than that, it ran smoothly.
    Should I buy TS4, will it work? here are my specs:

MacBook Pro
    13-inch, Mid 2012
    Processor 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB
    Serial Number C02J8GQPDTY4
    Software OS X 10.8.5 (12F45)

PD: i haven't updated my mac to Yosemite. Im still using mountain lion

thanks xx
  • southaltansouthaltan Posts: 152 Member
    i read an article, today actually saying that the mid 2010 could support up to 16mb.

would increasing the ram, would that improve the game? I added a 4gb to my Mac, so I'm running 6gb now.
    aundi9701 wrote: »
    I have an older mac and wanted to check to see if anyone has any input. I think it will run fine, but I want to be safe.

MacBook Pro 15in mid 2010
    OS X 10.9.5
    2.66 GHz Intel Core i7
    4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB

Well it happily exceeds the recommended requirements. You might like to install more RAM though, not just for TS4 but to give your Mac a boost :) Your MBP can support 8Gb RAM.

southaltan wrote: »
    i read an article, today actually saying that the mid 2010 could support up to 16mb.

Really? I know the 2011 onwards model can unofficially support 16Gb RAM but I thought the 2010 model had a maximum of 8Gb? Do you have a link? I'd be really interested to read it :)

apple-signature.png
  • reianiareiania Posts: 1 New Member
    I'd like to start playing Sims again, but my processor is slightly below the minimum requirements for TS4 and my video card is apparently "unsupported" by TS2 Super Collection download from the App store. I don't know if anyone can tell me which of those problems is likely to be worse for gameplay/not run it at all?

MacBook (13-inch, late 2009)
    Processor 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

Any advice? I did once buy TS3 and ran it fine but I didn't like the gameplay (I like to play multiple sims concurrently and switch between).
  • SimsocitySimsocity Posts: 224 Member
    reiania wrote: »
    I'd like to start playing Sims again, but my processor is slightly below the minimum requirements for TS4 and my video card is apparently "unsupported" by TS2 Super Collection download from the App store. I don't know if anyone can tell me which of those problems is likely to be worse for gameplay/not run it at all?

MacBook (13-inch, late 2009)
    Processor 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

Any advice? I did once buy TS3 and ran it fine but I didn't like the gameplay (I like to play multiple sims concurrently and switch between).

Hello!

At first glance your memory is 4 GB and that right there is a warning sign. It is recommended to have a system at 8 GB of RAM to make sure your game runs well. The processor is right at the minimum so it should play well at low settings. Your video card is also right on the one to make sure your game runs.

My thoughts are that you'll be able to run the game, but at its lowest settings due to the limitations of your specs. I'm not saying it won't run, but your won't have amazing graphics either.

I would suggest using Origin to test try the game and see if it works. If it doesn't, within 24 hours of purchase you can get your money back!

Hope it all goes well and good luck,

Simsocity
  • AmazingamphyAmazingamphy Posts: 1,733 Member
    I want to run TS4 on my Mac so I can have higher graphics and/or performance. (I currently have it on Low-Medium, with Sims set to Medium)
    iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2010)
    Proccessor: 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3
    Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB
    HmypxT0.png
    Gone from this place and never coming back. P5 is good
  • SimsocitySimsocity Posts: 224 Member
    edited August 2015
    I want to run TS4 on my Mac so I can have higher graphics and/or performance. (I currently have it on Low-Medium, with Sims set to Medium)
    iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2010)
    Proccessor: 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3
    Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB

Howdy!

Your specs are on the edge considering you have 4GB of RAM. That right there will limit the efficiency and quickness of running your game at higher settings. Graphics & Processor are okay, but because of the RAM, I wouldn't expect anything but low/medium settings.
    Post edited by Simsocity on
  • ebsiebsi Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi! Just wanna know whether sims 4 will work on my mac or not

OS X Yosemite
    Macbook Retina 12-inch early 2015
    1.1 GHz intel core M
    8GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Intel HD Graphics 5300 1536 MB

Thanks~