Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cant Make Friends/Stuck As Impartial/Acquaintance Bug - READ FIRST POST

Comments

• ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    awesome @egwarhammer!- your it :p
    Sincerbox wrote: »
    @ceejay402
    ceejay402 wrote: »
    hey @Sincerbox can you review the suggestions in first post to see if you can get them unstuck thanks

I had already done that for the friendship bug before the patch came out. My purpose for posting was not to find a helpful work around, but thank you. My purpose was to point out that there still appears to be issues at least in a negative direction since the most recent patch.

@rosemow - As I indicated to @ceejay402, my purpose for posting was largely to indicate that there still appears to be problems after the patch. I did not play with it long enough to discover what caused this particular situation but for the most part the friendship bug looks like it is fixed from my observations.

totally understand @Sincerbox :) just suggested since its probably helpful to the devs viewing this thread, if you cant totally fine ill try to replicate the bug and others maybe able to assist further, thanks
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    rosemow wrote: »
    fabeme wrote: »
    Awww I just got a bad surprise. I started my game and was happy to see that the patch fixed the bug... and then after some time of game, a friend of my sim visited her. I didn't recognize her at first because her hairs were whites... WHAT? The update activated the aging system for the neighbours (not my family), which I remember having deactivated, waiting for the bug to be fixed. All my sim friends are now older and since I save often, I can't go back. Not really happy about that.

Hello @fabeme. I am sorry to hear that the update caused your game options to reset. The patches do sometimes reset the settings. You may need to check that the other options in your game are how you would like them to be as well.

ill second that @fabeme sorry :( if you want you could consider rolling back the save http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/783120/how-to-roll-back-your-save/p1
  • naughtygwennynaughtygwenny Posts: 171 Member
    Some of my friendships are sticking at acquaintances after July 28th patch on a new save.
  • AyradyssAyradyss Posts: 910 Member
    hey @egwarhammer thanksfor the update can you confirm was this created before or after the recent patch?

ok @Ayradyss just want to confirm you have turned off automatic game updates. i do agree origin prefers to be online so often it doesnt remember i like having it off :D but i still never have my game update until i click on the icon and select update. some have reported a problem with origin, try reinstalling if you havent yet to see if that helps. but not everyone has this issue but also agree disabling internet on the computer before opening origin is also a good move if origin is misbehaving. you can easily turn it back on when get past launch.

You seem like a genuinely nice and helpful person, and I think you're really trying to help people. But honestly, I've stated this multiple times now and feel that I've stated things quite explicitly. It's just really feeling like I say one thing and you come back with a reference to something related but not quite the same.

At no point have I stated that my game -updates- on its own with automatic updates turned off. (Which now seems to be your latest angle in the quoted passage above.) That is NOT the case and NOT the problem.

I'll try one last time, and PLEASE -- I ask that you try to clear your mind of any preconceived notions of what I'm talking about and read my words exactly as I've written them. I've tried my best to ensure that their meaning is precise and accurate.

FACT 1: Automatic updates is absolutely, positively turned OFF. Both for Origin and for all games it maintains. (FWIW, Origin is also set so that it does NOT start up with Windows.)

FACT 2: Origin DOES NOT update the game without my clicking a button for it to do so.

FACT 3: Origin DOES check to see if an update for my game(s) exists -- regardless of automatic updates being turned off. This is how it knows that an update is available so it can notify me of this and provide the 'Update' button for me to click. (I'm NOT saying it's updating -anything- at this point. But it does check the Origin servers for the existence of game updates. That's all.)

FACT 4: Once this 'in-the-background' check for the existence of updates has been performed, assuming that it found an update available, Origin is programmed so that it DOES NOT ALLOW me to run that game UNTIL it performs the update. This essentially FORCES me to click and perform the update if I want to run the game. I CANNOT run the game until and unless I click to perform the update. So while the update is not 'automatic' it is very much -forced- and really provides me no choice other than to update or abstain from playing the game. I cannot, at this point, choose to simply run the game without executing the update -- which is what I believe you've been saying I can do, to be able to play without updating.

Again, the fact that the update is no longer 'automatic' does not mean I can play my game without updating because the launcher will not launch it UNTIL it's updated -- manually or otherwise. If I try to launch it, this pop-up is all I get:
    UpdateRequired.jpg

That is a cropped screen-capture from an actual attempt I made to run the game without applying an update. I fail to see what good avoiding the 'automatic update' has done me, when I cannot run my game without doing the update anyway. That doesn't seem like such hard logic to follow. In my experience, turning off 'automatic updates' only replaces the 'automatic update' with a 'forced update.' The end result, for all practical purposes, is the same.

Furthermore, the use of the so-called, "Offline" mode to prevent the the update-check described in 'FACT 3' above, doesn't really work. The reason for this being that "Offline" mode is not persistent. Offline mode can only be toggled from within the Origin process. Thus, the Origin process must be running at the time. As soon as you run the Origin process, it executes the checks described in 'FACT 3' above. The only way that "Offline" mode would be certain to circumvent that check is if it were -persistent.- For the purpose of this discussion, I define "persistent" as meaning once set offline, that state would be saved in a config file and persist the next time the Origin process is executed. This would actually result in the the Origin process 'starting up' in an offline state and thus forego the check for updates. Currently, this is NOT how Origin works. Currently, every time the Origin process is run, it starts up -online- and remains so until the user specifically selects the menu option to toggle it to the offline state. (At which point it will remain offline until either the user toggles it back to 'online' or the session is ended by exiting Origin -- but no further.)

If you doubt any of these facts, please do test them in Origin yourself before debating them further. If you truly do find functionality different from what I've described then please do explain fully what I need to change in order to obtain said functionality.

Here are screenshots of my own current Origin settings so you know how I have it set up:

Settings > General 1
    Settings > General 2

Thank you for your time and patience.
    Pay for product -- not potential!
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    Some of my friendships are sticking at acquaintances after July 28th patch on a new save.

Hello @naughtygwenny. I am sorry to hear that some of the friendships are sticking at acquaintances. Can you tell what is the difference between the sims who can progress to a further friendship level and the others that are sticking at the acquaintance level? Or is it the one sim that can become friends with some sims but are remaining acquaintance with other sims? There may be a glitch with the one sim or the household?
  • naughtygwennynaughtygwenny Posts: 171 Member
    > @rosemow said:
    > naughtygwenny wrote: »
    >
    > Some of my friendships are sticking at acquaintances after July 28th patch on a new save.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello naughtygwenny. I am sorry to hear that some of the friendships are sticking at acquaintances. Can you tell what is the difference between the sims who can progress to a further friendship level and the others that are sticking at the acquaintance level? Or is it the one sim that can become friends with some sims but are remaining acquaintance with other sims? There may be a glitch with the one sim or the household?

I'm not really sure, I made a new save to test the fix out and I went to the park with one sim, met someone and then went home and invited them over and they became friends, then I tried it again with a different sim from the park and invited them over but they got stuck at acquaintance even though the friend bar was full. I know I can reset them with a cheat and try to befriend them again but its really annoying. It has made me not want to buy the spa expansion because its frustrating me. I'm not sure if it is because my child sim has the social butterfly or not because I heard that has a different glitch associated with it. I am trying to do a legacy challenge so its really messing that up.
    > @rosemow said:
    > naughtygwenny wrote: »
    >
    > Some of my friendships are sticking at acquaintances after July 28th patch on a new save.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello naughtygwenny. I am sorry to hear that some of the friendships are sticking at acquaintances. Can you tell what is the difference between the sims who can progress to a further friendship level and the others that are sticking at the acquaintance level? Or is it the one sim that can become friends with some sims but are remaining acquaintance with other sims? There may be a glitch with the one sim or the household?

I'm not really sure, I made a new save to test the fix out and I went to the park with one sim, met someone and then went home and invited them over and they became friends, then I tried it again with a different sim from the park and invited them over but they got stuck at acquaintance even though the friend bar was full. I know I can reset them with a cheat and try to befriend them again but its really annoying. It has made me not want to buy the spa expansion because its frustrating me. I'm not sure if it is because my child sim has the social butterfly or not because I heard that has a different glitch associated with it. I am trying to do a legacy challenge so its really messing that up.

Perhaps try repairing the game and see if that helps. To do that, right click on the sims 4 picture in Origin and click repair.

Also, perhaps if you do the resetSim cheat on the sim once, from then on the issues may be fixed?

Also, resetting the sims 4 folder may clear up glitches. To do that, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated. Start a new game and test to see if the sims can make and keep friends. Exit the game and then add back the "options.ini" file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated file/ folders with the old file/folders, testing after replacing each one to make sure the game is working okay.

• Skyfri_HimmelSkyfri_Himmel Posts: 846 Member
    @Skyfri_Himmel are your issues resolved if not can you update thanks
    Yes mine is fixed. I still have a lot of other problems with the game though, but this issue is now solved for me.

Origin ID: Kaffepigen

I've started a picture story on imgur! There is both from sims 3 and sims 4, so a little from both worlds! ^_^
    The Sims 3 picture story: imgur.com/a/5A0Sg

The Sims 4 picture story: imgur.com/a/xyPhW
  • haswhhaswh Posts: 2,863 Member
    I'm glad they fixed this bug early. Going to see if it worked for my Legacy Challenge now.
    haswh wrote: »
    I'm glad they fixed this bug early. Going to see if it worked for my Legacy Challenge now.

I hope that the issue has been fixed for you @haswh.
  • KoalagirllKoalagirll Posts: 297 Member
    I cannot get the relationship to anything but acquaintance. And even when it lists many sims under the friends tab, I cannot complete the Friend of the World aspiration because it says I do not have enough friends.
    Koalagirll wrote: »
    I cannot get the relationship to anything but acquaintance. And even when it lists many sims under the friends tab, I cannot complete the Friend of the World aspiration because it says I do not have enough friends.

Hello @Koalagirll. I am sorry that you are having this issue. Is it just the one sim this is happening to? Test another household and see if the same issue occurs in that household too.
    Also, start a new save game file and test the issue there.
  • hhlwolfhhlwolf Posts: 17 New Member
    The new update fixed the issue for me! Good to see that my Sim finally has friends, haha.
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member

I'd like to add I am getting this as well on some, not all sims.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • haswhhaswh Posts: 2,863 Member
    Yeah it worked for my Legacy Challenge! I am very pleased it was the only game I really care about.
    hhlwolf wrote: »
    The new update fixed the issue for me! Good to see that my Sim finally has friends, haha.

Hello @hhlwolf. I am glad that the issue has been fixed for you :)

I'd like to add I am getting this as well on some, not all sims.

I am sorry that you are having issues with not being able to get past the acquaintance level on some sims. I hope that the issue is fixed soon for you.
  • xdarkxartistxxdarkxartistx Posts: 55 Member
    Thank you very much for this I have been stuck with this bug.
    edited August 2015

Hello @Koalagirll. I am sorry that you are having this issue. Is it just the one sim this is happening to? Test another household and see if the same issue occurs in that household too.
    @rosemow The sim I was talking about was in a single sim household. But I did try it out with other households in that save file and also a whole new save file as well. Every sim was having that problem. But the weird thing is, the sims could become friends, good friends, sweethearts, etc. with some sims, but sometimes they couldn't get past acquaintance.

@rosemow The sim I was talking about was in a single sim household. But I did try it out with other households in that save file and also a whole new save file as well. Every sim was having that problem. But the weird thing is, the sims could become friends, good friends, sweethearts, etc. with some sims, but sometimes they couldn't get past acquaintance.

Hello.
    Other simmers have been finding the same issue as you that with some sims they can become friends whilst with others they can't go further than acquaintance.
  • egwarhammeregwarhammer Posts: 5,752 Member
    This could be relevant... Deaderpool's been looking into something similar to this, and here's a quote from him about what he's found so far...

I am figuring-out for sure if this is my mod causing it or if it is related to the "impartial relationship" bug that EA fixed last week and wasn't fixed when that was. That was a problem with traits not being assigned as a commodity statistic was increased (friendship statistic in that case and friend/good friend/etc. traits) and this is a buff not being assigned as a commodity statistic was increased (pregnancy statistic, trimester buffs). So, there's a chance it's a core defect and not my mod...just trying to verify.

I know diddly about "commodity statistics" but for someone who does, I thought this might be helpful?

@rosemow can you get this to whoever should see it, if you believe it may be of use? Thanks!
    edited August 2015
    This could be relevant... Deaderpool's been looking into something similar to this, and here's a quote from him about what he's found so far...

I am figuring-out for sure if this is my mod causing it or if it is related to the "impartial relationship" bug that EA fixed last week and wasn't fixed when that was. That was a problem with traits not being assigned as a commodity statistic was increased (friendship statistic in that case and friend/good friend/etc. traits) and this is a buff not being assigned as a commodity statistic was increased (pregnancy statistic, trimester buffs). So, there's a chance it's a core defect and not my mod...just trying to verify.

I know diddly about "commodity statistics" but for someone who does, I thought this might be helpful?

@rosemow can you get this to whoever should see it, if you believe it may be of use? Thanks!

Hello @egwarhammer. :) I have let some people know about what you have posted. Thanks for posting about it and letting us know!
  • egwarhammeregwarhammer Posts: 5,752 Member

Hello @egwarhammer. :) I have let some people know about what you have posted. Thanks for posting about it and letting us know!

You're welcome... I'm curious to see what, if anything, comes of this. Let me know? :)

Hello.
    Other simmers have been finding the same issue as you that with some sims they can become friends whilst with others they can't go further than acquaintance.

Okay thanks. I noticed that other people were reporting the same issue that I am having. I just hope that it is fixed soon as it is quite annoying.