Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Short Story Challenges: October: So Spooky

Comments

• Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    @Carewren123 I have a question that I don't think has been asked yet.

So I worked on a short story for the challenge today, and honestly, I got SO into it that I am thinking of turning it into a full-blown story :open_mouth: The short story I wrote would work well as an introductory chapter to the story!

So I guess what I'm wondering is, are we allowed to submit a story that we've posted elsewhere already as a chapter of a story?

It's fine if you include your short story as a part of a larger story, just be sure that it also stands alone so that it fits the definition of a short story. Also I want to make sure that everyone writes something specifically for these challenges, so please no recycling things that you have already written. (That's not what you are doing I know, just saw an opportunity for clarification.)

And no one worry about posting your stories too early, but there is no hurry. :) Feel free to submit them early in the month or later whatevver works best for you. And for this first challenge, if you get it finished before August is officially here, that's fine go ahead and post them.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    @Carewren123 Awesome, thank you! :D Yes, my story can definitely stand on its own, but when I finished screenshotting everything I was just like ". . . I wonder what happened next!" and then it snowballed into this complicated plot idea and stuff :lol:

And yay for being able to post early! Because I'm 99.9% sure that I will. hahaha
    snvAF3B.png
  • RoryPlaysTheSimsRoryPlaysTheSims Posts: 5,330 Member
    @Carewren123 Just wanted to say how awesome you are and thank you for putting all of this together. :)
  • lizzielilyylizzielilyy Posts: 4,863 Member
    @Carewren123 just as you're clarifying that there's not to be any recycling, I presume that's just of sims stories? Because I write elsewhere that's totally unrelated to any sims games or stories but they might fit the challenge at some point and I'd like the opportunity to share them since they're 100x the writing I do for sims aha
    Gen-6-982x250-1.jpg
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
    @Carewren123 Just wanted to say how awesome you are and thank you for putting all of this together. :)

I second that. <3 you big time, Carewren!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    And just to clarify:

Let's say that I write three stories and I post them as part of my Dr. Jasmine's Casebook anthology (which is becoming my collection of shorts). I go ahead and post them as a write them. For example, let's say I post one on Aug. 3, one on Aug. 10, and one on Aug. 20. Then I choose one of the to submit for the contest, which I do by sharing the URL and title here.

Now, it won't be considered recycling since I wrote these just for this contest, right? Even though they're part of my Casebook anthology? And even though I posted them earlier in the month?

(Just clarifying, so I don't get myself in trouble--remember how for SimsWriters we couldn't post on our own blogs until afterwards? I want to post on my blog beforewards.)

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    CathyTea wrote: »
    And just to clarify:

Let's say that I write three stories and I post them as part of my Dr. Jasmine's Casebook anthology (which is becoming my collection of shorts). I go ahead and post them as a write them. For example, let's say I post one on Aug. 3, one on Aug. 10, and one on Aug. 20. Then I choose one of the to submit for the contest, which I do by sharing the URL and title here.

Now, it won't be considered recycling since I wrote these just for this contest, right? Even though they're part of my Casebook anthology? And even though I posted them earlier in the month?

(Just clarifying, so I don't get myself in trouble--remember how for SimsWriters we couldn't post on our own blogs until afterwards? I want to post on my blog beforewards.)

Oh you can definitely post them on your blog before hand. :)
    Lizzie1234 wrote: »
    @Carewren123 just as you're clarifying that there's not to be any recycling, I presume that's just of sims stories? Because I write elsewhere that's totally unrelated to any sims games or stories but they might fit the challenge at some point and I'd like the opportunity to share them since they're 100x the writing I do for sims aha

I'm going to say that is fine. There's no way I could enforce this even if I wanted to. So if you have a story you want to adapt to one of the challenges that's cool. Just remember you will need to have at least one screenshot from a Sims game to illustrate (1-10 is the rule we decided on). This way all submissions will be Sims stories.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
    CathyTea wrote: »

I second that. <3 you big time, Carewren!

<3 Thank you both!! And thanks to everyone who has helped me in organizing it, even just helping me decide on rules and things like that has been a great help.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

Too bad I'm not on Season 3 of my story. There's a first in there for a character that's awesome. They even use the word, "first" in a sentence!
    Too bad I'm not on Season 3 of my story. There's a first in there for a character that's awesome. They even use the word, "first" in a sentence!

I used the word "first" in the title and then about three times in the first sentence in my first draft! (oh, my! I've used it three times in the previous sentence!) LOL! Overmuch, yes. I will revisit with my editing scissors!

• ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    edited July 2015
    Arg... I have an awesome idea, but I'm not sure if any of the sims games can help with the screenshots... I may have to try modding for the 'first' time. Lol.
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
    Oh my goodness I already finished my submission haha Part of me wants to post it tomorrow and part of me feels dumb being the first one to submit :lol:

But since it's going to end up being the first chapter of my new story, it will be posted soon anyway on my blog :tongue:

Let's hope I don't get this inspired EVERY month haha Two stories is more than enough for me right now :lol:
    snvAF3B.png
  • eXokamikazeeXokamikaze Posts: 3,870 Member
    Oh yay! Firsts is an interesting theme! I don't have anything in mind juuust yet, but I'm very sure something will pop up once I resume playing the Sims. I'm really excited, and am really looking forward to read everyone's submissions! :)
  • lizzielilyylizzielilyy Posts: 4,863 Member
    I'm going to say that is fine. There's no way I could enforce this even if I wanted to. So if you have a story you want to adapt to one of the challenges that's cool. Just remember you will need to have at least one screenshot from a Sims game to illustrate (1-10 is the rule we decided on). This way all submissions will be Sims stories.
    Ok cool, yeah I'll remember to add screenshots haha might help ;)
    Gen-6-982x250-1.jpg
  • Penguinwa101Penguinwa101 Posts: 3,131 Member
    I think i might make mine, and then make it into a little mini-story i might post one in a blue moon, i'm liking the setting and atmosphere iv'e set up in my story!
    3gXRDPf.gif
    Twitter: @Penguinwa101
    Tumblr: http://penguinentertainment.tumblr.com/
    Youtube: Penguin Entertainment
    Well, crap. I have a great idea but it's the same idea I have for Season 6 of LoTS. Shoot. Oh well.
  • Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    *Sigh* I won't be able to do this until I get back from vacation... But then again, I can't seem to think of anything to do for it, and my grandma's house has been known to give me inspiration :)
    I think i might make mine, and then make it into a little mini-story i might post one in a blue moon, i'm liking the setting and atmosphere iv'e set up in my story!

@Penguinwa101 That is too funny, because the exact same thing happened to me! That short story inspired me to build a whole story around it, so now it's going to be a fun side story for me, with future chapters and stuff :D Yay for inspiration!
    snvAF3B.png
  • ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    So I drafted my story and I'm so excited I just got goosebumps ... or that's the air conditioner at work.
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
    edited July 2015
    Okay, I guess I'm gonna be "that" person and submit my entry super early! :lol:

Like I said, this first challenge was so awesome that it actually inspired me to develop a whole story around it! But here is the original short that I came up with (which now serves as the first chapter of my story!).

9vc5PLn.jpg

Note: The screenshots are pretty important to this story... I'll say no more than that ;)
    snvAF3B.png
  • RivieRivie Posts: 782 Member
    Well, crap. I have a great idea but it's the same idea I have for Season 6 of LoTS. Shoot. Oh well.

Maybe it means that you should post seasons 2 - 5 before the end of the month and you'll have it just in time. :grimace:
    Rivie aka Lux Conant
    kingsonfam.png
    Kingson Family thread - Updates, Behind the scenes, Sneak peeks and more...
    The Abandoned Lot - Kingson family How the story begins...
  • RivieRivie Posts: 782 Member
    edited July 2015
    I want to participate here because I wanted to give my other Sims a voice and I started writing one last night before I went to bed. I had a dream that @Carewren123, since she made this thread, was going to grade our stories. We were in a big classroom but each of us had to go up to her and read her our stories. :blush:
    Rivie aka Lux Conant
    kingsonfam.png
    Kingson Family thread - Updates, Behind the scenes, Sneak peeks and more...
    The Abandoned Lot - Kingson family How the story begins...
    Rivie wrote: »
    I want to participate here because I wanted to give my other Sims a voice and I started writing one last night before I went to bed. I had a dream that @Carewren123, since she made this thread, was going to grade our stories. We were in a big classroom but each of us had to go up to her and read her our stories. :blush:

LOL that's funny, because I am actually a teacher. But I'm a part-time science teacher, so I don't spend a lot of time grading writing. :) Everyone here shall receive As!
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

• StoriedStormStoriedStorm Posts: 3,004 Member

I am glad that's not the case. Writing is one thing but having to read it out loud would be too much :fearful:

I am glad that's not the case. Writing is one thing but having to read it out loud would be too much :fearful:

Fortunately for all of us, Carewren123 is an AWESOME teacher! :) She empowers her students to learn and discover their own voices! :)