Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Short Story Challenges: October: So Spooky

Comments

• MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 5,082 Member
    I know just what I want to do. *rubs hands together and laughs maniacally*
    dustshaela.jpg
    Origin ID: Munter_Bacon
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
  • VanityHighVanityHigh Posts: 1,300 Member
    Ooooh yay! I'm so excited to read everyones short stories and what a fitting theme for the first one aswell :heart::cookie:
  • CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    True story, I am already developing characters in my head and getting very into it :lol: I may have to write a few fun little stories about these characters even outside the challenges... Hmm...
    snvAF3B.png
  • RoryPlaysTheSimsRoryPlaysTheSims Posts: 5,330 Member
    Does this short story have to be related to the story I already have? (Legacies of the Sims). Or can it be a stand alone story?
  • SummerFallsSummerFalls Posts: 6,413 Member
    Does this short story have to be related to the story I already have? (Legacies of the Sims). Or can it be a stand alone story?

It can be a stand alone story if you want, mine is going to be a stand alone story :)
    ooh_zpseebomb8i.png
    Origin ID: SummerFalls
    House: Ravenclaw/Wampus - Wand: Alder wood with Unicorn hair core 10 ¾" and Slightly Springy flexibility - Patronus: Neblung Cat
    | Simblr | Youtube | I love creating sims! |
    Julyvee94 wrote: »
    Is cc allowed?

I'm not sure, but I'd say go for it!

*i tried to help by answering questions!*
    ooh_zpseebomb8i.png
    House: Ravenclaw/Wampus - Wand: Alder wood with Unicorn hair core 10 ¾" and Slightly Springy flexibility - Patronus: Neblung Cat
  • ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    Is cc allowed?

I'm not sure, but I'd say go for it!

*i tried to help by answering questions!*

That would be my guess as well. The challenge here is the writing, not the game itself. I can't imagine why we wouldn't allow cc.
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
  • Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    edited July 2015
    @SummerFalls you did an awesome job answering questions! You were exactly right with both. CC is allowed as are stand alone stories. :)

(And thanks to @ra3rei too)
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
    @SummerFalls you did an awesome job answering questions! You were exactly right with both. CC is allowed as are stand alone stories. :)

PHEW!
    ooh_zpseebomb8i.png
    I thought of a question! What is the deadline for submissions?

Because we will want to take time to read the stories and vote and stuff, right? Or is that going to overlap with the start of the next month's challenges?

I.E. Would we take two weeks for everyone to write and submit, then two weeks to read the stories, discuss them, and pick a winner? Or would we spend the whole month for submissions and then read/discuss/vote while we are all working on the next challenge too?

Just curious! :)
    snvAF3B.png
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
    I'm wanting to write several stories and then choose from among them which one to submit. Is it ok if we post our stories before submitting them? For example, let's say I get three stories written, and I want to post them all as I go along--is that ok? Then by the Aug. 31 deadline, I just provide the URL for one story which I'll be submitting.

Also, are multiple submissions allowed?

(This is so much fun, and I'm super excited to read everyone's stories!)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!

Because we will want to take time to read the stories and vote and stuff, right? Or is that going to overlap with the start of the next month's challenges?

I.E. Would we take two weeks for everyone to write and submit, then two weeks to read the stories, discuss them, and pick a winner? Or would we spend the whole month for submissions and then read/discuss/vote while we are all working on the next challenge too?

I want to give everyone as much time as possible to participate, so I wanted the deadline at the very end of the month. You're at least the second person to ask about overlap, so let me ask everyone... Do you mind having overlap between the start of the next month's challenge and announcing the winner of the previous month? I've seen other challenges do this, and it seems to work okay, so if everyone's okay with it we'll just have a little bit of overlap.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
    CathyTea wrote: »
    I'm wanting to write several stories and then choose from among them which one to submit. Is it ok if we post our stories before submitting them? For example, let's say I get three stories written, and I want to post them all as I go along--is that ok? Then by the Aug. 31 deadline, I just provide the URL for one story which I'll be submitting.

I hadn't thought about multiple submissions... what does everyone else think about this?
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

I want to give everyone as much time as possible to participate, so I wanted the deadline at the very end of the month. You're at least the second person to ask about overlap, so let me ask everyone... Do you mind having overlap between the start of the next month's challenge and announcing the winner of the previous month? I've seen other challenges do this, and it seems to work okay, so if everyone's okay with it we'll just have a little bit of overlap.

I think it's fantastic! It's organic. :)

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!

I hadn't thought about multiple submissions... what does everyone else think about this?

Half of me says, "No. We should choose one." And half of me says, "We should be able to submit as many as we want."

But if we did select multiple submissions, then only one should be eligible for an award, to avoid someone sweeping the contest, IMHO.

edited July 2015

But if we did select multiple submissions, then only one should be eligible for an award, to avoid someone sweeping the contest, IMHO.

That's a good point. And if we did it this way it's still completely fair, so I say submit as many as you want, everybody!

ETA: I changed my mind on this. The "official" rule will be to pick one story for submission each month.
    Post edited by Carewren123 on
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

• Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    I'm not for multiple submissions... I mean you can post these short stories without submitting them here, that's your freedom too. But if one very talented writer submits multiple stories it might degrade other ones even if they aren't eligible.
    I'm not sure how I feel about multiple submissions... Hm... I can see both sides haha

As for the overlap, I don't really mind, I just figured I would ask!

I finished doing screenshots for my story already :open_mouth: but I have 12 of them! :'( I need to figure out which ones aren't quite as necessary hahaha
    snvAF3B.png
    I have two ideas for my short story! I'm going to write them both and then take screenshots!
    ooh_zpseebomb8i.png
    I am way overly anxious about this... I'm pretty sure I will have my submission done tomorrow, and it's not even August yet :lol:
    snvAF3B.png
  • Penguinwa101Penguinwa101 Posts: 3,131 Member

That's a good point. And if we did it this way it's still completely fair, so I say submit as many as you want, everybody!

OMG really???!! Wow! But I think I might have only time for one this go-around. LOL :D
    3gXRDPf.gif
    Twitter: @Penguinwa101
    Tumblr: http://penguinentertainment.tumblr.com/
    Youtube: Penguin Entertainment
    edited July 2015
    I'm not for multiple submissions... I mean you can post these short stories without submitting them here, that's your freedom too. But if one very talented writer submits multiple stories it might degrade other ones even if they aren't eligible.

Okay guys after taking a little more time to think about this, I think I agree with @Julyvee94 Let's just stick with one submission per author. I'll add it to the OP to make it "official". You can write more than one story, but you must pick just one for submission in the challenge each month.

**Sorry for any confusion, we're still trying to set this up as smoothly as possible. I think everyone understands that adjustments have to be made sometimes.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

@Carewren123 I have a question that I don't think has been asked yet.

So I worked on a short story for the challenge today, and honestly, I got SO into it that I am thinking of turning it into a full-blown story :open_mouth: The short story I wrote would work well as an introductory chapter to the story!

So I guess what I'm wondering is, are we allowed to submit a story that we've posted elsewhere already as a chapter of a story?
    snvAF3B.png
  • aroseinbloomaroseinbloom Posts: 3,456 Member
    I'm really excited about this! Hmmmm...I think I have an idea in mind. Yay for firsts!