Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How does your house look?

Comments

• SilentWolf101SilentWolf101 Posts: 3,898 Member
    So, I googled "Gothic Manor" and I found this picture of a really pretty, unpainted wooden doll house on Ebay. I think I might try to build that in the sims 3. :3
    ~Open your mind before your mouth~
    Yes, I'm still working on my stories. But I am restarting them (again). Links will come when they're up. :)
    Come Join The Mafia! | Monthly Simlit Story Challenges
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    That's what I did for inspiration - a Google image search of American Queen Anne architecture for inspiration, although I didn't try to duplicate a house so much as look at the points of style.

Also, bear in mind, I never show my failures! ;) I have had many, many attempted houses & lots just not work out and end up under the bulldozer for each one that works well enough to keep.
    Sindocat wrote: »
    That's what I did for inspiration - a Google image search of American Queen Anne architecture for inspiration, although I didn't try to duplicate a house so much as look at the points of style.

Also, bear in mind, I never show my failures! ;) I have had many, many attempted houses & lots just not work out and end up under the bulldozer for each one that works well enough to keep.
    Normally, I start building the houses I see, but then I get WAY off track and end up building something else completely. XD I just use the picture as a base... And I almost never show my failures...
    Yes, I'm still working on my stories. But I am restarting them (again). Links will come when they're up. :)
  • OriginalMaraOriginalMara Posts: 1,669 Member
    I actually really like Craftsman-style homes... so I think that will be my attempt. :)

And I had started doing something like that already with my Sim's house, by modifying one of the default homes. But I think it'll be easier to start from scratch.
    Craftsman is a lovely style, but deceptively tricky to build. I am currently stalled on a Craftsman home that I began based on a 1913 mansion in the Hollywood hills called Artemesia, and made it way too big to start with. I'll take another run at it - on a more modest scale - soon.
    I personally prefer the Victorian style homes. :3
  • wgu394wgu394 Posts: 45 Member
    Your Victorian is gorgeous.
    "All you need is the plan, the roadmap, and the courage to press on to your destination." Earl Nightingale
    wgu394 wrote: »
    Your Victorian is gorgeous.
    Thank you. :)
  • Painterly27Painterly27 Posts: 177 Member
    edited July 2015
    My little horse ranch in Monte Vista, belonging to Glenda and Luigi Pepper and son Tino. The house is very tiny but there's enough room for everyone. They have three horses and a foal on the way :)

Screenshot-54_zpsppkl71aj.jpg

See, Craftsman Style trips me up every time. I aimed for Craftsman and wound up building some bizarre Prairie Style mishmash. Still play-testing to make sure it actually works, but I have my sims (just a couple) moved in.

TgEBMyq.jpg

qGQFld7.jpg

8YlODMw.jpg

s6IqMYQ.jpg

It's not quite what I was aiming for, but I think I like it. :)
  • Lucky25Lucky25 Posts: 544 Member
    My house right now. My Sim has only just moved into it and doesn't have a huge amount of money so it's still in the early stages...

simhouse_zpshe4eyora.jpg
    ace46abf-17de-4ccb-b09d-2f869a1566dc_zpswzf3im24.jpg
    Making small starter homes work is also something I enjoy - I am just mostly playing households with a lot of accumulated wealth.

That one looks cozy!
    edited July 2015
    See, Craftsman Style trips me up every time. I aimed for Craftsman and wound up building some bizarre Prairie Style mishmash. Still play-testing to make sure it actually works, but I have my sims (just a couple) moved in.

TgEBMyq.jpg
    That is a pretty cool looking house, @Sindocat
    Lucky25 wrote: »
    My house right now. My Sim has only just moved into it and doesn't have a huge amount of money so it's still in the early stages...

simhouse_zpshe4eyora.jpg
    That's a nice little home. :3
    For people who often forget to save or their games crashes often or whatever, I found a mod that helps save your stuff: auto save. :3
    First time in a long time I have played at University with moon phases on. Full moon caught up with me on Tuesday of my first week and looked amazing. So as soon as I had rescued my garden plants and moved them inside, I grabbed some screen caps of my on-campus residence, the Deanery, by moonlight.

This lot is in my studio on the Exchange, and can be found here.

Sims University under a Full Moon. Wow!

mIJfO96.jpg

Front and rear views of the Deanery, and one of the kitchen garden (bare of plants, to save them from zombies).

YMx5xcl.jpg

kQ7UIoi.jpg

SSs0XQM.jpg

Some interior shots. Den, drawing room, dining room, and office.

mdOzYEc.jpg

hyS2JCW.jpg

gPNVthV.jpg

RfarTWH.jpg

And to make up for an earlier update post where all my sims were fully clothed, here's one of Austin wearing nothing at all. ;)

xixcp6I.jpg

• Idray2501Idray2501 Posts: 32 Member
    Honestly, I'm a terrible builder, maybe even a worse decorator. I actually have one house that I downloaded unfurnished, only landscaped, and furnished myself. I wish I could post pictures because I am so proud of how that house turned out! I'm only now that I think about it realizing that there is no study and the bedrooms are a bit cramped...
    I only felt the need to decorate it and furnish it so well because the family I intended to live there was a family who's life I had already planned and the mother was supposed to be a level 10 architectural designer.
    I could probably sit here forever describing it and reminiscing it, but I honestly want to load up that save and try again, but the immense amount of content I squeezed into that house made the rendering time unbearable.
    Let's just say it's pretty hard to furnish a house beautifully enough for an architectural designer, practical enough for a surgeon, good enough for a politician, creative enough for a musical prodigy... And still shove a little toddler in there xD
    I'm going to just go away now because I now really want to play that save again and I've stopped talking about the build. >.<
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    This is my current house...

http://imgur.com/QEljUAA
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
    Idray2501 wrote: »
    Honestly, I'm a terrible builder, maybe even a worse decorator. I actually have one house that I downloaded unfurnished, only landscaped, and furnished myself. I wish I could post pictures because I am so proud of how that house turned out! I'm only now that I think about it realizing that there is no study and the bedrooms are a bit cramped...
    I only felt the need to decorate it and furnish it so well because the family I intended to live there was a family who's life I had already planned and the mother was supposed to be a level 10 architectural designer.
    I could probably sit here forever describing it and reminiscing it, but I honestly want to load up that save and try again, but the immense amount of content I squeezed into that house made the rendering time unbearable.
    Let's just say it's pretty hard to furnish a house beautifully enough for an architectural designer, practical enough for a surgeon, good enough for a politician, creative enough for a musical prodigy... And still shove a little toddler in there xD
    I'm going to just go away now because I now really want to play that save again and I've stopped talking about the build. >.
    That sounds like an awesome house. XD I'd love to see it! :)
    First time in a long time I have played at University with moon phases on. Full moon caught up with me on Tuesday of my first week and looked amazing. So as soon as I had rescued my garden plants and moved them inside, I grabbed some screen caps of my on-campus residence, the Deanery, by moonlight.

This lot is in my studio on the Exchange, and can be found here.

Sims University under a Full Moon. Wow!

mIJfO96.jpg

Front and rear views of the Deanery, and one of the kitchen garden (bare of plants, to save them from zombies).

YMx5xcl.jpg

kQ7UIoi.jpg

SSs0XQM.jpg

Some interior shots. Den, drawing room, dining room, and office.

mdOzYEc.jpg

hyS2JCW.jpg

gPNVthV.jpg

RfarTWH.jpg

And to make up for an earlier update post where all my sims were fully clothed, here's one of Austin wearing nothing at all. ;)

xixcp6I.jpg
    That is beautiful. :)
    This is my current house...

http://imgur.com/QEljUAA
    That is an awesome looking house!
    edited July 2015
    So, I remodeled the Wagner's Repose in Sunset Valley to make it into a foster home. My main sim, Annabelle Housten, will be living there. :3 Most of it is custom content, but there are a few things there that I haven't changed, like most of the first floor... XD I think my favorite part of the house is the backyard. :3Backyard_zpss9g5iqhm.png
    First Floor: First%20Floor_zps8tyjq8pw.png Second Floor: Second%20Floor_zpszhdkd2kd.png Kid's room: Kids%20room_zpskfeybgat.png Nursery: Nursery_zpsgm7qdxrp.png Annabelle's Room: Annabelles%20room_zpsvm2y66d5.png Annabelle's office: Annabelles%20office_zpsozqkobyx.png
  • NadiavbNadiavb Posts: 1 New Member
    You guys built some great houses! I'm just new here, been playing sims 3 for ages now! Can remember i bought it in 2010, and since a few weeks i've been playing again. (Horrible weather in the Netherlands and summer holiday.. what else should I do? :p ) I just built built a house where I'm kinda proud of, how can I show you the picture? :D Please tell me!
    Nadiavb wrote: »
    You guys built some great houses! I'm just new here, been playing sims 3 for ages now! Can remember i bought it in 2010, and since a few weeks i've been playing again. (Horrible weather in the Netherlands and summer holiday.. what else should I do? :p ) I just built built a house where I'm kinda proud of, how can I show you the picture? :D Please tell me!
    1) You have to become a member. 50 posts, 30 points. 2) you have to use a site that can share photos, such as Photobucket, imager, or a similar site. Then, you have to post one of those links into here.
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    So, I remodeled the Wagner's Repose in Sunset Valley to make it into a foster home. ...
    I like that house and have made several remakes for my games. Also really like the lot creating my own houses n the site.

Your remake is great fitting your use for it perfectly.
    cwaddell wrote: »
    So, I remodeled the Wagner's Repose in Sunset Valley to make it into a foster home. ...
    I like that house and have made several remakes for my games. Also really like the lot creating my own houses n the site.

Your remake is great fitting your use for it perfectly.
    Why thank you. :)
    Happy August, all. :)

Well I finally made up my mind which expansion I should get next, and had a little spare "fun money" to spend, and the winner is... Pets! :D

7zChekf.jpg

New expansion means a new household. New household means a new house! So I have one in progress, getting fine-tuned while I live there.

What I find I tend to do is start a new household to explore the content in a new expansion. This time it took a bit off fiddling around with pets in existing families, and one Cat Lady for Moonlight Falls who I will play more later, before I got a Sim I was happy with. Eloy Bright is the first name the randomizer gave me which I thought suited him. He is a Loner with Animal Lover as a follow-up trait to let me really focus on the new interactions in Pets. I also made him Good and single since I hope to have him befriend a unicorn. :D

kt1msHq.jpg

I tried a horse on a small lot in a trial run and it was... awkward. So I gave Eloy a big lot - 40x40 - in Hidden Springs, and built a tiny starter home on it. Too tiny. I gave it a second story and moved his bedroom upstairs. Still had to go stand out in the yard to even play guitar. Nope. Not working. So while I pondered, I sent him to get a part-time job at the Day Spa while I figured out what to do with his space.

For inspiration, I started looking around Hidden Springs, where I have hardly played at all really, and read up on the town and it's backstory, and also started looking through all the Build/Buy assets that had come with Pets (so far, I had only really seen the animal care stuff). Between the two, and with a feel for the town and the new tools at hand, I had an idea.

Hidden Springs is a resort town with a famous spa, and Pets ships with a lot of Western-themed décor. I have IP as well, but didn't want to run an actual resort, more of a Western style mountain-town Bed & Breakfast-y place for rich flatlanders. Eloy has the Artistic trait, so the game decided he was a graduate of Le Fromage Art School. He knows that folks don't want to actually live on a smelly, loud, working ranch. They want a spa resort that looks like what they think a ranch ought to - a "Dude Ranch"! So I bulldozed his unsatisfactory little starter hut, exploited Motherlode shamelessly, and built him this:

jkkaPZZ.jpg

Basically an L shape, along two edges of the lot, leaving most of the ground open. Since the idea is that Eloy has renovated an existing building, making it suitable for his aims, the architecture is more haphazard and less studied. From the back, as one comes up the mountain road toward the lot, the original structure is most visible. A plain, sturdy, two story building with a chimney stack at either end.

C2eaUiT.jpg

Overall, I am going for rustic roots with classy finishes here and there where it counts. Finally, an excuse to use the cowboy things from Movie Stuff, too. The entryway has some pretty fancy porch railings, compared to the basic farm fencing - though the styles are complementary. Also obligatory wagon-wheel benches and a rack of anters. Tourists dig antlers. That old wheelbarrow will make a nice planter. And so on.

Rdm7dNt.jpg

sDNFozT.jpg

Yes, the chimneys are functional, but no, I am not even going to light the fireplaces until he has enough Handiness to upgrade them all to Fireproof. I think they are decorative even unlit.

btezA6J.jpg

From the front parlor, a look down the passage past the stairs to the galley kitchen and saloon bar - a fine excuse to learn Mixology!

Scb3xGy.jpg

cFUlDrL.jpg

0C3PcH5.jpg

The swinging doors lead to the gym room which is narrow and hard to get good screen caps of, and due for a redesign, but leads on to the spa deck as well. The long wall of the building also fronts onto a roofed enclosure, which I carefully measured to be sure that if I ever do need a horse stall, one will fit in here perfectly. For now, a couple hitching posts, the right sort of country clutter and rustic look with ranch weeds permitted to grow where they'll look good. This is as convincingly ranch-y as Eloy cares to make it. Art school has to be good for something. :)

EOaMVa7.jpg

The point of the rustic spot there giving a sense of how hard the work and living were in the Old West is, of course, to subtly remind guests how relaxed, refreshed and entertained they are. That is, it's all about visual contrast to the spa deck. Eloy has built this up between the block of the main building and an old ice house, which has been converted to a sauna and shower/bath area where folks can clean up before getting a rub-down under a flower-shaded pergola, or soaking in the hot tub to enjoy the view.

Rp5LQz3.jpg

ghFjd8i.jpg

VZRqHD4.jpg

X3pQPmv.jpg

pkn8Tes.jpg

And what a view! :D
    J4kBxSs.jpg

Whew! I didn't mean to go on so long - and I didn't even grab any pics of the upstairs yet. Hope I didn't wear you out by sharing all these, but if I did, you have company. :) Eloy has been busting his hump to get this ready for business. No wonder he's tired out!

puwphq3.jpg

Happy Simming!
    @Sindocat XD That is an awesome looking house! I'd love to see the upstairs floor! :3