Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Your Creative Story. Why Do Yo Build ?

JBEAR1JBEAR1 Posts: 537 Member
I'm sitting comfortably, are you? then I'll tell you a tale.

Looking back at posts and threads I made when Sims4 was released and fresh, I had a fire in my belly to make everything and anything anyone would likely think of. But, I had to make it first, and better. I had no edge on 'them', the other creators who most likely had the exact same fire in their belly, and had been building for years. Sims4 to them was probably a hop, skip, and a jump to continuing their craft from Sims3, to new horizons. In fact, I was severely behind.

My Sims1 story was literally a holiday romance. Boy meets girl on holiday, boy fell for girl quickly, boy came back from distant lands to discover girl has a decent pc that plays games. Win. Girl shows boy Sims, boy moves in with girl, boy dominates pc, boy plays virtual doll houses and makes pretty gardens for virtual boy and girl who look very happy that boy chose to do so. Real girl claps with glee, I smile. I am boy.

Boy pretends to become man and does man things but buys Sims2 when girl is shopping and not looking. The Sims 2 was really a step up. It blew my mind how much could be done and how my desire to be creative could be met. I bought a playstation 2 and sims2.

These were the days of our lives.

So much fun, hours on hours. The Sims2 introduced me to the possibility of creating full households of lesbians. This would occupy my man brain for so long, it boggles, but. Sims3 was on the horizon. What amazing beach houses and deprived new scenarios could we make ? Well, much of the same, with bugs, and disapointments etc. I played on pc and playstation 3 but it seemed the holiday romance was waning. Don't get me wrong, it was better than 2, but, it wasn't enough. I'd been there and done it. And the pizza man relentlessly delivering pizzas every day on ps3 kinda started to annoy me. Which ironically would never bother me in real life. So there it is. I stopped considering the Sims as a must have addiction. I saw the Sims as a tired broken franchise cloning itself for publisher money.

Will Wright had left and what was left was not right.

Here we are now. What is Sims 4 to me? What is Sims 4 to you? and why did we jump back in so eagerly ? I believe it was the anticipation of things that could, and likely would, be better. Than they ever were. Creative tools that give so many more possibilities. Graphics our young selves would squee just looking at. And hopefully hundreds more hours.

I have 500 hours at least building in the game, I've had fun sharing things I've made back in the early days, so you could say I like the game. And I guess on a Sims forum I'm preaching to the converted but. Part of me feels it is slightly less fun than it was when we were playing alone, offline. Sharing builds online made what I used to enjoy calmly, at my own pace, a whole new beast.

I became driven, beyond normal sleeping and eating patterns, I had to make the biggest things first, I cared what people thought, and I thrived on positive feedback, It wasn't enough anymore to play or even enjoy the game. And at this point something hit me. Now that the game was 'online', with all these intergrated facebook feedback favouriting features...The Sims,

Was playing me!

The boy, turned man, had become a Sim.

Comments

• Options
    BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    Cute story and cautionary tale all in one, nice! I can definitely relate to your story.

I'm a newer builder; didn't get started until TS3 had been out a while. I had been focused on storytelling in prior iterations and still was to a large extent in Sims 3. Then, at some point, instead of playing in a pre-existing home, I tried my hand at creating my own. I quickly got frustrated because I had no idea how to do anything remotely advanced, and my house looked like crap. That's when I took my first look at the Exchange and was blown away by what people were creating. I think I almost gave up on the whole idea then, but I came across a Builder's help thread and the support and great info there encouraged me to truly start my quest to learn everything about building and to improve.

At some point after I had a few decent builds under my belt and felt like I had a fairly good grasp of the mechanics, I figured out how to do something new. I don't remember what it was at this point...maybe it was the infinity edge pool. I was the first to create one without the use of CC (it was a build for Lucky Palms). Anyway, it was a huge kick for me to be able to bring a vision of mine to life in the game that at first had seemed impossible. After that, innovation became the name of the game for me. If I wasn't doing something new, I wasn't satisfied.

When TS4 came out, I didn't start out building in it thinking that way, but when inspiration struck and I was able to realize my vision for the Rock N Roll House (which I almost scrapped many times, I might add), I was hooked all over again to that feeling of discovery, breaking barriers, using things for unintended purposes... Actually, I was trying in little ways even before that build. Well, you remember...we both had a deep and mutual appreciation for shelving in this game. :D Just about the time I was starting to get frustrated by the various limitations, they added MOO, and there were so many new possibilities. And so it has continued. And as long as I can keep innovating and experiencing those "aha" moments, it's not likely to end. :)

As for the Gallery and popularity, I had one of those moments. It was wrapped around my guitar house. I knew I'd done something special, but I had no idea of the reaction that was to come, and after it did, it was a combination of happiness but at the same time dismay because I had this feeling of, 'Oh, now I have to come up with something even more amazing,' and then, 'But how on earth can I ever top this?' When I was able to shake that line of thought and just remind myself that I'm doing this to have fun and not to meet anyone else's expectations, I was able to relax and enjoy the process again.

That's not to say that the game doesn't play me sometimes. I strive hard to keep a balance (busy mom of two), but I have to admit that when I'm in the middle of a build, especially when I've got particular concepts in mind to explore, I find it very difficult to come up for air. Even when I'm not playing, when I have a spare moment, I'll be thinking about whatever challenges I was facing the last time I was in the game, or planning for the next session. And there's the Build Mode Feedback thread and others I'm involved with... But if it wasn't The Sims, it would probably be another game; I have always been somewhat addicted, and I like to think that at least I am learning and growing in terms of personal creativity with this one.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    SpecterCodySpecterCody Posts: 602 Member
    I agree with you very much on your opinion of this new gallery pageantry. In The Sims 3 I built nice things here and there but without much urgency. The social creative aspect was never the main ploy of The Sims 3. The Sims 4 introduced this whole new beast of a system that has me hooked on a steady stream of comments and praise for my work. I started creating builds one after the next in anticipation of how many people would say nice things and fuel the fire. The forums help get more feedback however they leave much to be desired for me. Its super cliquey so I always feel like a bit of an outsider compared to the big names on here. Its not that the community isn't welcoming but the big names are stuck in their own little bubbles and rarely step out to comment on newer builders posts. Still, I keep creating and commenting on everyone's threads that are deserving of praise in hopes they might reciprocate. Its come to the point where I habitually reload the forums site in hopes of a new comment, kind of sad really. I even hold back on my replies until opportune moments to bump my showcase thread from the bottom of the page back up. This game has turned me into a monster, that's for sure. Thanks for sharing your story anyways, I can definitely relate!
  • Options
    PurpleKachinaPurpleKachina Posts: 4,159 Member
    I am always sitting comfortably in front of my comp ^_^

I guess my story began with The Sims 1 :) I remember one of my siblings showed
    me the game and after only 10 minutes or so I was totally hooked! My username actually
    comes from the very first sim I created in that game. It was my simmies surname, to be more
    specific. And I kept going with that for a very long time, which I guess is also the reason
    why I picked it for my username when I decided to join the community.

Anyway, it didn't take long before the creative aspects of the game got a strong hold of me.
    I started writing and painting at a very young age and I have always had a passion for design.
    I came up with the most ridiculous stories in both The Sims 1 and The Sims 2. But, they were also
    imaginative and fun :) The community seemed to appreciate them as well judging from the feedback I
    was getting. It was really fun, and I had lots of friends in the community who inspired me.

Here are a couple of very old pics from the first game, showing my absolute favourite sim, lol.

Ilseacute1.jpg

Ilseacute2.jpg

Her name was Ilsé and she was a superstar :mrgreen: You see the pinkish door on the balcony?
    That was actually some sort of superdoor I downloaded :) Simmies had their needs filled up
    when they walked through it :D I think. Hm. Those were the days ^_^

Oh and just as a bonus treat, I had a pic of Mr Wright himself!

Ilseacute3.jpg

Sharing these stories and being able to provide a good laugh for many people felt good.

The Sims 2 had me more interested in the whole building aspect. But I put most of my focus on
    the stories and also interior design. Creating simmies was also something that was more fun with the
    second game because well. I had a blast with the new face tools :mrgreen: Just look at this:

TS2-1.jpg

This is from a story about a crazy old senior lady and in this pic she has just turned her wife
    into a walking lip-zombie. I told you some of my stories were quite ridiculous ;)

I used to also add my own effects to my pics in order to make the story more intense.

Example:
    TS2-2.jpg

The pink/white and black/red stuff was added by myself and it made the picture more dramatic.
    Without it it would just be a pic of two ladies holding their hands up in the air and I remember
    I was thinking okay. The readers can probably visualise but why should they have too if I can do it
    for them? Or at least try, lol. Just so you understand the way I was thinking.

This was actually one of the things that made me very interested in graphic art :) And this is something
    I am still learning more and more about today and it is much fun! Isn't it kinda amazing what a single game
    can do? You can learn a lot about yourself, that's for sure :)

This game has not only brought me some amazing friends, but it has also helped me develop and use the
    artist within myself :) And for that, I couldn't be more grateful because it has truly been an awesome
    experience so far and I do admire the people behind this game. I sometimes wonder if they actually know
    or fully understand what a huge impact this game can have on people.

The Sims 3 was amazing and a worthy successor to The Sims 2. This is when I joined the community on a international
    level, so to speak. Because I am from a small country called Sweden. The third game is also where I started
    building and it kinda felt like the last puzzle piece falling down into the right place. Very natural, in other words. I had my
    stories, my beautiful simmies and my lovely interior design. But I didn't have my dream house! :) And I guess I ended
    up making so many dream houses that I actually had a hard time picking one at the end :sweat_smile:

If you were to ask my simmies; are you tired of moving? They would most likely scream; YES, PLEASE, SAVE US! :D

I have been thinking about your question, why I build. But I think I have in a way already answered it.

Creating is a part of who I am and who I have always been. My creations are a part of me, and sharing them is like
    sharing a part of myself. It doesn't matter if they are digital creations or creations made from material in real life. They
    were all born in my mind and sometimes also with the help of other people's creations. It's very interesting when I think
    about it. I guess you can look at it as one of those bars the simmies have. Because I am an artist I am imagining myself
    having a special "creativity" bar that needs to be filled. It brings me joy and a sense of accomplishment. It is nourishment
    for my soul :) And by sharing my work, I am also hoping it will bring others the same sense of joy.

Gee look at this wall of text! This thread really had me thinking! Anyway, I just have to say that I do like the new
    game as well. The Sims 4. I have had lots of fun so far and I do appreciate the new creative tools we have been given.
    I feel like I have been able to take building to a new level and I do feel very optimistic when I think about all the stuff
    we might get in the future :) This game will forever hold a special place in my heart ^_^ <3
  • Options
    @Manssom That was a nice story, looks like a lot of history with The Sims! I have played them all too, lots of fond memories. I got carried away with negatives though, I too am very creatively driven and love to share what I do. Thanks for sharing :smile:
  • Options
    yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    What a lovely idea to start this thread! I am so interested in hearing everyone's stories of how you guys started building for the sims game. JBEAR I enjoyed reading your story. Thanks for sharing.

The reason why I build for sims game because I simply enjoy it! The creative part of the game really interests me and I never get bored building homes for my simmies! Even when I am not building I keep thinking constantly about my next sims project! It is like an addiction! It does not let you go! When I am on vacation I always take photographs of real life houses and try to make the simmified version of it! I also get inspired by all the talented builders in this community! I have learnt a lot from each and every builder here. Building for the sims for me started with sims 3. Before I used to get bored after I played all the aspect of an expansion pack and always was waiting for the next sims expansion pack. Things are different now. Now I am also waiting for expansion packs but for more stuff for building for my simmies! I started building when World Adventure started crashing and I had problems with my game. Suddenly a whole new world opened up for me and I got excited about the amazing possibilities of this game!

It is always nice when my building efforts are appreciated but I mainly build for myself. I find it challenging and fulfilling in many different ways! Also, thanks to the game and this lovely community I have made a lot of friends through the years! I feel I know some of you which is crazy because I haven't met anyone of you in real life! I also want to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you for the support and friendship I have got from you guys! Long live the sims game and it's wonderful community of players!
  • Options
    @yanti68 I agree, I am always thinking about my next build too, definitely addicting. I'm glad you started creating stuff so you can challenge yourself and share the results with us :smile:
  • Options
    PurpleKachinaPurpleKachina Posts: 4,159 Member
    edited July 2015
    Thank you @SpecterCody :) I guess I grew up with the game so yes, definitely a lot of history with The Sims.
    I also get what you were saying in your previous post. However, I do think some of us are constantly trying to
    visit and give new builders feedback. We all started from scratch so it's only natural at least for me to try and give
    back what I was given when I was a new face. I can also relate to the "monster" thing :) One of the things I noticed when
    I first joined the community was how easy it is to get drawn into that. All of the sudden you forget the fun and you just
    want to be number 1 at everything and on top of that, getting blasted with praise :) Nah, I decided a long time ago to give
    myself an exorcism and I got rid of my little monster :) But who knows, maybe one day it'll return ;D
  • Options
    @yanti68 I agree, I am always thinking about my next build too, definitely addicting. I'm glad you started creating stuff so you can challenge yourself and share the results with us :smile:

Thanks @SpecterCody ! It is nice to know that I am not the only one who feels that way! :D I did play sims 2 too! Never played the Original sims - sims I mean. Seasons was my favourite ep for sims 2. Loved gardening bit and the weather of course! In sims 3 I was mainly building after world adventures. I enjoyed reading your story too. Thanks for sharing. I had hoped that other builders/simmers would share their story too. It is always interesting to read how and why they started building or playing sims. I acutally discovered the game quite by accident. A friend of the family used to play the game and she introduced me to sims! :)

From Sims 3 I really miss the seasons and the Island Paradise ep. Loved building on water! Miss my houseboats! :( I keep hoping that sims 4 will have those features too in the long run. :)

About giving feedback, I always try to make time to respond to most of the builders' showcase thread. I got back so much from the community and I want to give them back the same support and friendship. I used to post my builds in Fidlerten's thread for constructive criticism. I must say I learnt a lot from his feedback.

Through the years I have lost a lot of friends in the community. Some of them just wandered away because they do not have the time to play sims anymore and they have other challenges in their lives. Others did not like the look of sims 4 and gave up! I do miss them and their fantastic builds. Wish they would come back in the future when sims 4 comes out with more eps and game packs.
  • Options
    @yanti68 Seasons was great, I really enjoyed the Sims 1 expansions the most for some reason though. As far as Sims 3 goes, please please bring back the Island paradise one! I adored the house boats and resorts. A game about a fantasy life needs a fantasy location! :smile:
  • Options
    Ash072Ash072 Posts: 1,324 Member
    I'm a polymath by nature but never one to pursue mastery of a subject before moving on to the next. A perennial jack of all trades, master of none, in anything and everything I find interesting.

In regard to the Sims, I've played them all but never built extensively in any save Sims 4. The main reason is because architecture has become a main focus of my interests and in this particular time I can effectively merge the study of it with my love of video games. I'm truly enjoying the creative outlet Sims 4 is giving me and am loving the ability to explore and see so many different styles and ideas come to life in the Gallery. For me, it's inspiring.

5sXtTqH.png
  • Options
    JBEAR1JBEAR1 Posts: 537 Member
    edited July 2015
    Thanks for sharing your memories guys and galls :)

The second response makes the thread worth it for me, as I was a little worried I'd revealed too much and nobody would feel similar. Good to know others can get a little crazy when we are creating.

Take it easy.
  • Options
    PebblycatPebblycat Posts: 861 Member
    Building has become an addiction I never thought I would have in the Sims.

I've been playing the sims for 15 years now for the game play and my Sims' stories. I've never been a builder/designer/decorator. My houses reflected this by being many square shapes put together.
    I was excited when Sims 4 was announced and released (I love shiny new things) and originally played it for the game play. Then I found game play challenges which I started many of and never finished. When I noticed build challenges my mind was blown with what people created and I wanted to do that! So now I'm addicted to building/designing/decorating! My skills have improved dramatically and I certainly appreciate the hours Simmers put into their creations, as I soon learnt it took many.

I am loving that the Sims 4 has made me come out of my shell and encouraged me to become a part of The Sims community. I've always shared the love of this game with my Mum but it was time for me (and Mum is starting to become social) to make some new friends. My real life friends don't play computer games and don't understand why I love them.
    JBEAR1 wrote: »

I became driven, beyond normal sleeping and eating patterns, I had to make the biggest things first, I cared what people thought, and I thrived on positive feedback, It wasn't enough anymore to play or even enjoy the game. And at this point something hit me. Now that the game was 'online', with all these intergrated facebook feedback favouriting features...The Sims,

Was playing me!

The boy, turned man, had become a Sim.

This @JBEAR1 is me at the moment. Building has occupied my mind so much that any spare time I get you'll find me on the computer. When I visit my Mum all we talk about is building and how we can improve our builds. I can't talk about it to my husband anymore, I know this because his eyes glaze over and it's clearly visible he's thinking about something else.

My Sims have always controlled me, now it's been taken to a new level.

Thank you for starting this thread :) Love reading the stories!
    My Origin ID: Pebblycat
    Visit Pebblycat's Showcase to see what I've created
  • Options
    @Ash072 and @Pebblycat - Good to hear your stories! I feel inspired too by all the lovely creations in the gallery. Pebblycat, my real life friends does not play computer games too and they do not understand my addiction to sims either! So I can totally understand how you feel! :)
  • Options
    pronteruspronterus Posts: 2,166 Member
    You guys have some great stories here. Thanks for sharing them! I'll share mine as well. I only started building houses recently. I've never considered myself to be creative or artsy in any way.

I started playing The Sims when it first came out, and I think I was only in high school back then. I was so amused at how you were able to control little the Sims' lives and build houses, so I got hooked. I got addicted to playing The Sims and TS2, and then I stopped for a bit to focus on real life issues.

I got back into the Sims when TS3 released a starter pack which had the base game, a stuff pack, and Late Night, which is my most favorite of all the TS3 expansions. I was really amused with the vampires in the game. When I was finally able to control vampires, I thought about how my house should have an appropriate lair, and I think that's what pushed me to start building my own houses. (I really hope they have vampires for TS4 sometime in the future.) I soon became fascinated with how I was able to design rooms, layouts, and build all kinds of houses. When I finally got Midnight Hollow, I was amazed with the architecture, and this was where I started to really love TS3 to the point that I was hesitant to buy TS4.

I got TS4 a few months after its release because I waited for the game to have pools and ghosts. After getting used to the game UI, I figured I'd make my own house for my sim. I remember my very first house; it was a modern build that was small and good enough for my one sim. I thought that it was the best house there is, until I saw better-looking houses at the Gallery. Looking at other people's works inspired me to create better houses. I kept downloading other people's builds, analyzed them, and created more houses of my own. Then I learned more advanced building techniques until a lot of people started downloading my houses. It made me really happy to see that people were downloading my work, so I kept on building.

When I was getting bored of just building houses on my own, I joined the forums to interact with other builders and join build challenges, which I really enjoy. The challenges have really pushed me to the limit, but I can see that my work is improving if I compare my old works with recent ones. I also post pictures of my builds on my Facebook, and some of my friends keep asking if I've taken up interior design/architecture even though I haven't. Some of them play TS4 casually, and they really loved what I uploaded. It made me really happy.

My simming has reached to the point where in real life, I go to bookstores sometimes and browse through architecture books, looking at house designs and plans. I even buy some if they're on sale. When I have builder's block, I go out for a walk or a jog for some fresh air and inspiration to take home; my neighborhood has some really nice houses.

I also really like this community; it's friendly and the criticism is constructive (builder pun). Building has now become a part of me. The Sims 4 has inspired me like never before.
  • Options
    XinqunXinqun Posts: 612 Member
    I started with the original Sims back in the day, and progressed to Sims 2 when that came out. The one lesson I remember learning from the original Sims was that it takes in-game time for a sim to walk from A to B. I remember I had a pair of sims on different lots, one of them close up to the street and the other one set way back away from it. The sim in the second lot basically had about half an hour to an hour less time in the day to do his stuff, because he spent that much time walking back into his house when he got back from work. This made me realise that a successful sim does not want a giant mansion: he wants a small, efficient house with everything within easy reach.

Small, efficient houses are actually more of a challenge to plan than giant mansions, from a layout perspective. You have to think about the way the sim lives, what sequence of actions he takes daily, and how to lay out a plan that responds to those factors; all without putting things so close together that there's no room to travel between them. And then you also have to think about how the roof is going to go over the collection of rooms that you've just made.

I'm not sure if I started shaking my head at inefficient pre-built lots then, or if I only started later. I took a pretty long break shortly after getting Sims 3 because it was a bit of a resource hog and my PC wasn't exactly a top-of-the-line gaming machine. I do know that when I upgraded to a new PC and got back to the Sims 3, I looked at some of the pre-built lots, both public and residential, and thought: "this is ridiculous and needs to be rebuilt."

So I started by rebuilding the gym, taking half the space while organising the plan to actually fit more equipment. I demolished a bunch of lots, replaced a whole street with smaller residential lots -- I decided that 20x30 was ideal for a played sim, and 15x20 was plenty for an unplayed household, something that I think is still true for Sims 4. I spent some time learning which public/commercial lots could be bulldozed and replaced with smaller ones (not as straightforward as you might think) and planning the layout of the downtown core.

When I got Sims 4, the first thing that impressed me about the pre-built lots was that they actually looked reasonable. Although ... maybe the furniture in the Blue Velvet could be rearranged so as to open up some space for dancing ... and maybe the gym could use a pool ... and those little cottages in the cheapest Willow Creek neighbourhood aren't quite as efficient as they could be ... it's an improvement, but I could still probably do better.

And here's another reason why I build. After playing a household for a while, I realised a couple of things: one, a lot of the unplayed sims that you meet and interact with do not have an in-game home; two, these homeless sims never have more than 20K with which to buy a home; and three, these homeless sims are subject to periodic culls that remove them from the game entirely. In other words: if a homeless sim becomes important to your sim somehow, you need to move him or her into a house or risk having them disappear suddenly; and that house needs to be less than 20K in price because homeless sims can't afford more than that.

So I build starter houses. I think I practically live on the starter houses thread now -- that's where most of my stuff is posted. Small, reasonably efficient (if I wanted "absolute maximum efficiency", my bathrooms would not have sinks and everything would be on the ground floor) but still interesting to look at; and cheap enough to move a randomly-generated unplayed household into with no fuss.
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing your stories @pronterus @Xinqun !

Pronterus, I had to smile when I read that you look at architectural books in the store because you want to recreate those in your sims game! I do that too! Nice to know that I am not the only one. :D