Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Custom sized paintings

Hi all, new to cc here, so I'll be asking a few questions in the days to come.

So my first question is concerning some cc paintings I've seen on modthesims.

I've seen them many times, they' paintings that aren't just a recolor. They have their own size and depth, independent from all of EA's meshs.
So I'm guessing they're all made from a new mesh? If that's the case, is there a simple tutorial I could follow to help me make simple cc such as this?

The EA paintings are simply too limited in sizes, and most of the time too small to make an impact.

Comments

• SmokeyBearzSmokeyBearz Posts: 1,138 Member
    I think I need to modify an existing mesh, or create a new one.

This tutorial should be useful. If anyone has a better one, or some tips even, feel free to post them.
    Ok I found a better one here. No more asking stupid questions before doing some research, promise.
    Here's a relevant question : if I use an object that is behind a career unlock, will my recolor or mesh clone also be locked?
    The answer is yes, it will be locked if it's a recolor.
  • _orangemittens__orangemittens_ Posts: 512 Member
    If the item you clone is a career locked item this will be indicated on the catalog tab of Studio when you look at the item on the model viewer page. There will be a button you can click to make it unlocked if you prefer it to not have a career lock on it:

o9rnNXP.jpg

All you need to do so that the item is buyable by any Sim is click that button before saving your .package. :)
    I didn't see that, thanks! You guys thought of everything.
    So I started following this tutorial, but I appear to get stuck in step 15.
    I need to deselect the 'Limit Selection' button but it's not showing on my workspace.
    Is there a way to make it show? And why is my workplace different? I'm guessing because it's a freeware subject to changes?
    Shouldn't it be a different version then? Mine is 2.7, like in the tutorial, so maybe there are workplace presets I'm not aware of.

EZbMxWt.jpg
    e4NnB6b.jpg
    edited July 2015
    Found it! It only shows up when in Edit Mode.
    @SmokeyBearz, thank you for the comment on the tutorial...this is very helpful. I've updated the tutorial now to make it more clear that you need to be in Edit Mode on step 15. I hope you stick with it...I would like to see what you create. If you run into more questions please feel welcome to post them in the tutorial thread :)
    And thank you for keeping an eye on this. It's awesome work you're doing.

I should start the mapping process tonight, so there's progress. So far it's going well, although my end result differs from your example pic. But I think that's normal to some extent. And idk about posting in the tutorial thread, as I'm very prone to asking questions without doing much research first. I would end up spamming like I'm doing here. But I'll make sure to give at least my impressions on the process when I'm done.
    It's fine to ask questions in the tutorial thread...that's what it's there for :) Your impression on the process when you're done would be great. The Studio project is about making it fun and easy to create content. There is a learning curve on learning to make CC, of course, but any feedback that helps make the curve less of an obstacle is most welcome. :)
    You're right, I already have a question, and I shouldn't keep it to a little personal thread like this one.
    Off I go to Sims4Studio forums...