Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Short Story Challenges: October: So Spooky

Comments

• SummerFallsSummerFalls Posts: 6,413 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    Hmm, how about a theme dedicated to me! Because August is when SummerFalls ;)

I think that's awesome... August... SummerFalls....

You know what? Where I live, we've just noticed that the light has shifted. It's no longer that intense high-summer light. Now it's shifting to the diamond-sparkling pre-autumnal light.

That sounds really beautiful!
    ooh_zpseebomb8i.png
    Origin ID: SummerFalls
    House: Ravenclaw/Wampus - Wand: Alder wood with Unicorn hair core 10 ¾" and Slightly Springy flexibility - Patronus: Neblung Cat
    | Simblr | Youtube | I love creating sims! |
    *pulls up seat next to @SummerFalls* Hi, Sugar! :)

*passes out snacks. Healthy ones for @CathyTea* ;)

I'm so excited!! :) I like @CathyTea 's back to school idea.

Hi @Rorygilmore34! :) *takes some granola bars from her*
    ooh_zpseebomb8i.png
    House: Ravenclaw/Wampus - Wand: Alder wood with Unicorn hair core 10 ¾" and Slightly Springy flexibility - Patronus: Neblung Cat
    I'm loving all of these themes so far even if one reminds me of a place I don't want to return to yet!

I did find an nice writing prompt on Reddit and I'll share it:
    "Earth" is a popular TV show among aliens. However it gets lower and lower ratings. Now one of them is sent to earth to make the show interesting again.
    ooh_zpseebomb8i.png
  • eXokamikazeeXokamikaze Posts: 3,870 Member
    I'm loving all of these themes so far even if one reminds me of a place I don't want to return to yet!

I did find an nice writing prompt on Reddit and I'll share it:
    "Earth" is a popular TV show among aliens. However it gets lower and lower ratings. Now one of them is sent to earth to make the show interesting again.

That sounds so fun! :)
  • Carewren123Carewren123 Posts: 2,658 Member
    You guys are all so wonderful. I LOVE all these ideas.

@Munterbacon Yes this is open to any and all Sims games. That's something else I meant to add to the OP, but darn it's hard to remember everything. Thanks for asking!
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:
    Wren's Nest * * * Get a CLUE

Completed Stories: Ana Pringle

My Main Site: Carewren123 Sim Stories
    YouTube Channel: Carewren123 Sims
    Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 5,082 Member
    You guys are all so wonderful. I LOVE all these ideas.

@Munterbacon Yes this is open to any and all Sims games. That's something else I meant to add to the OP, but darn it's hard to remember everything. Thanks for asking!

No problems! I thought so, but thought it best to check.
    dustshaela.jpg
    Origin ID: Munter_Bacon
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
  • Penguinwa101Penguinwa101 Posts: 3,131 Member
    Of course all these suggestions are great, and the one's that don't get picked can be added in to potential future themes =)

I'm going to suggest Horror or Horror-Comedy.

Oh yes!! Lol get some Sul Sul action in there! Lol :D
    3gXRDPf.gif
    Twitter: @Penguinwa101
    Tumblr: http://penguinentertainment.tumblr.com/
    Youtube: Penguin Entertainment
    I'm keeping a list of all the suggestions for themes/prompts so they can always be kept for a later month. And @AuroraLockwood if you have any really good ones from that book of yours we'd always love to hear them.

I have 10 now for the first month, that seems like a nice round number to choose from so I'll have a poll up soon. :)
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

Monthly Short Story Challenge Thread: Current Theme: April: Choose your screenshots.
  • RivieRivie Posts: 782 Member
    All the suggestions are very interesting. Can't wait to see all the stories next month :smile:
    Rivie aka Lux Conant
    kingsonfam.png
    Kingson Family thread - Updates, Behind the scenes, Sneak peeks and more...
    The Abandoned Lot - Kingson family How the story begins...
    Vote on our 1st Theme
    Alright, I have the poll up on polldaddy, so if you want to vote on what our first theme should be just follow this link.

There are eight choices, and you can pick 2 of the choices. I didn't include the longer writing prompts like the one @SummerFalls shared just because I thought those would be better for one of our next challenges (I really loved that one, and I think we will probably do a lot of those). For the poll I wanted to keep it nice and simple.

The poll runs until the end of the month. I will announce which theme won on August 1st when we start the first challenge!!!
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

Thanks @Carewren123! :) *runs off to vote*
  • UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member
    Vote on our 1st Theme
    Alright, I have the poll up on polldaddy, so if you want to vote on what our first theme should be just follow this link.

There are eight choices, and you can pick 2 of the choices. I didn't include the longer writing prompts like the one @SummerFalls shared just because I thought those would be better for one of our next challenges (I really loved that one, and I think we will probably do a lot of those). For the poll I wanted to keep it nice and simple.

The poll runs until the end of the month. I will announce which theme won on August 1st when we start the first challenge!!!

When is the "deadline" for the short stories?
    ~*-*-*~ My SimLit: The Echoed Fragments || A Tale of Love and Fame ~*-*-*~
    Vote on our 1st Theme

Each challenge will run for the entire month. New theme announced on the 1st of every month and you have until the last day of that month to post your entry.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

• UmbralFlowerUmbralFlower Posts: 4,494 Member
    Vote on our 1st Theme

Each challenge will run for the entire month. New theme announced on the 1st of every month and you have until the last day of that month to post your entry.

K cool! Because I might extend my trip to another week lol. And I am really looking forward to these monthly challenges.
    ~*-*-*~ My SimLit: The Echoed Fragments || A Tale of Love and Fame ~*-*-*~
    Vote on our 1st Theme

K cool! Because I might extend my trip to another week lol. And I am really looking forward to these monthly challenges.

I definitely wanted to give everyone as much time as possible. I'm looking forward to them too. I'll probably participate in quite a few of them myself.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

• Penguinwa101Penguinwa101 Posts: 3,131 Member
    YAY!!!! i voted!!!!!!
    3gXRDPf.gif
    Twitter: @Penguinwa101
    Tumblr: http://penguinentertainment.tumblr.com/
    Youtube: Penguin Entertainment
  • Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    edited July 2015
    So if you have one month to contribute, will the poll for the winner be in the next month overlapping with the next months stories?

You might take away 3-4 days at the end of the month for a vote
    Julyvee94 wrote: »
    So if you have one month to contribute, will the poll for the winner be in the next month overlapping with the next months stories?

You might take away 3-4 days at the end of the month for a vote

Hmm... I hadn't decided on the voting periods yet, but I don't think it would be a problem for there to be overlap with the voting and the announcement of the next theme. I'm somewhat modeling that from the build-n-share challenge. Their challenges last 2 weeks, the new challenge is announce immediately after the previous one closes, but there is also a couple of week turnaround for winners to be announced.

Also keep in mind that many people won't post their entry in the first few days after a theme is announced, because it takes a while to put the story together, set up scenes in game, and take pictures.

Right now I'm thinking that a 5 day voting period would be good. What does everyone else think about this?

**Also here's a reminder for everyone to vote in the poll to choose our first theme if you haven't already.**
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

edited July 2015
    Hold on, I just want to clarify something. By 'winners', are we referring to the winning prompts, or is this going to be a competition of sorts where each short story submitted has the potential to win for that month?

Sorry if I'm being obtuse or totally misinterpreting things. :p
  • StoriedStormStoriedStorm Posts: 3,004 Member
    Hold on, I just want to clarify something. By 'winners', are we referring to the winning prompts, or is this going to be a competition of sorts where each short story submitted has the potential to win for that month?

Sorry if I'm being obtuse or totally misinterpreting things. :p

After each months entry period there will be a vote for which short story was the best for that topic.

edited July 2015
    Oh. I must have missed something when I read the rules! I see it now. Thanks @AuroraLockwood. :)
    @eXokamikaze Sorry I wasn't quicker with an answer, but @AuroraLockwood got it right. :)

I was thinking of making a little winner's banner for people to post on their blogs/signature/thread when they win... if they want. Though someone more talented in the graphic arts might be better suited to do that.
    E7A0Fe3.jpg
    Current Stories:

• MegglesMeggles Posts: 4,109 Member
    @eXokamikaze Sorry I wasn't quicker with an answer, but @AuroraLockwood got it right. :)

I was thinking of making a little winner's banner for people to post on their blogs/signature/thread when they win... if they want. Though someone more talented in the graphic arts might be better suited to do that.

I would like if they were a teeny thin banner like this!
    houses.png
    Gifs are broken but click here for my blog with all my stories :)
    House: Hufflepuff | Wand: Ebony wood w/a unicorn hair core, 9 ¾"
    Origin ID: meggles87 | twitter | simblr
    That's quite alright @Carewren123! :)

That banner size is very nice @Meggles! This isn't the forum for that, but I'd definitely make my signature wear a Hufflepuff flag in a HP forum! :)
  • MegglesMeggles Posts: 4,109 Member
    edited July 2015
    That's quite alright @Carewren123! :)

That banner size is very nice @Meggles! This isn't the forum for that, but I'd definitely make my signature wear a Hufflepuff flag in a HP forum! :)

Heck, I would STILL do that. *considers... gets on it*

ETA: Done! :smiley:
    Gifs are broken but click here for my blog with all my stories :)
    House: Hufflepuff | Wand: Ebony wood w/a unicorn hair core, 9 ¾"
    Origin ID: meggles87 | twitter | simblr