Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cant Make Friends/Stuck As Impartial/Acquaintance Bug - READ FIRST POST

Comments

• cdm1985cdm1985 Posts: 36 Member
    yeah, I noticed that people that my sim is "impartial" to shows up in the friends category too. It's also good to know that the friend whim is achieved too, I was worried for my friend of the world sims....though hopefully they fix it soon...
  • egwarhammeregwarhammer Posts: 5,752 Member
    Weerbesu's UI mod may be more effective at fixing this impartial bug (faster I'd bet) than using MC Command Center to fix it... his mod lets you directly change needs levels and relationship levels, along with other nifty functions.

Could somebody try it, and let us know how it does for this? *Should* be an easy fix, I'd think.

UI Cheats Extension v1.2
    by weerbesu Posted 30th Jun 2015 at 6:43 PM - Updated 16th Jul 2015 at 9:36 PM by weerbesu

http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=558548
  • sabreenesabreene Posts: 1,152 Member
    I've been using a combination of the UI Cheats Extension v1.2 and MC Command mods.

When I run into someone that my sims are impartial to (most the world, so they are everyplace!), I use the MC Command mod to "forget" them, then introduce my Sim(s) again. Now, with a fresh start, I right click on their portrait (using the UI Cheats mod), and put their friendship anything above 35. Usually into the 40's, so with decay it doesn't go right back to impartial.

I'm also using the relationship decay mod, so once things do get out of that impartial zone, they don't slip back in too quickly!

I did have to do a little tricky maneuvering to fix the relationships in house. Using the 'manage household' I moved a family sim out, then forgot them, then moved them back in and fixed up the relationship.

As for the bug, I've noticed on mine that if at one time they disliked a sim and it decayed down to "impartial", the disliked icon and title for the relationship remains the same. I have one that decayed to impartial, still said disliked, then I made them a friend.... 100 green bar, it still said they were disliked. Once I forgot them & reintroduced, it was fine.

There are too many impartials to fix everyone (at least for me), so besides my main sim families, I've only been fixing relationships as they run into the impartial sims. (Someone comes by to visit, I'll fix them! Impartials show up at a party, I'll fix them!) They still act like friends (and mine are in the friend list like DeKay's, even when an impartial-friend), so for all the random friendships, I don't actively seek them out to fix.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,584 Member
    It is good reading about the way simmers handle the issue and how it is affecting them. It is helpful to discover ways to workaround the issue, and also the effects of the issue.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    meubanks wrote: »
    Thanks for the great information. These workarounds all require a lot of unnecessary tinkering though, and the Devs need to make fixing this bug for good a very high priority task. There are several bugs that are directly related to leaving the lot, and considering that leaving the lot is virtually necessary to a full game play experience, a permanent fix to these problems is essential. Leave the lot before the mail arrives it permanently breaks the mailbox. Leave the lot before getting to friend and it permanently glitches the relationship. The last two updates have brought a plague of issues that I never had before. The June patch completely broke the game for me, and after attempting every recommended workaround I just finally had to uninstall and re-download the entire game. July patch has introduced new glitches to virtually every system in the game. Nothing works on a consistent and reliable basis anymore. I don't use mods or CC at all, and lately I've been clearing the cache almost daily because of issues I've been having, so the wonkiness in the game is all on Maxis. I've been working on a comprehensive review of this game, but I have to set it aside for a while because my generally positive impression has changed to very negative just on the basis of the MANY issues I'm having with this sloppily coded mess of a game. Sorry for getting off topic. I tend to ramble sometimes. :)

My Sims had their third child, a daughter, after the patch -- she is friends with her mom and with her brothers, but she's stuck on impartial with her dad even though the green bar is almost at the top. This is ruining my game experience -- now I'm worried about having my Sims meet anyone new (especially the twin boys who are now living on their own after aging up). There is no way I could keep from a loading screen with Dad and daughter, because he's in the Doctor career so I have to go to work with him. This needs to be fixed ASAP. I suppose I could destroy the relationship then restore it with the relationship cheat code, but that's just so much hassle. :|
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • GaiaPumaGaiaPuma Posts: 2,278 Member
    This bug pratically makes you want to be a hermit. Hope they fix it soon. Is very annoying.
  • MooseGooseMooseGoose Posts: 127 Member
    Thank you! This bug is driving me insane.
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    thanks @DeKay for confirmation it appears the problem is just more one of labeling, you can still get the added social options, have them show up on your friends list and achieve whims. ill update including making them an enemy doesnt work after the relationship is set to impartial

@stilljustme2 try some of the suggestions at first post there are ways to work around this issue for now
    thanks! @egwarhammer for the suggested mod and @sabreene was nice enough to share how shes using the mod:
    sabreene wrote: »
    I've been using a combination of the UI Cheats Extension v1.2 and MC Command mods.

When I run into someone that my sims are impartial to (most the world, so they are everyplace!), I use the MC Command mod to "forget" them, then introduce my Sim(s) again. Now, with a fresh start, I right click on their portrait (using the UI Cheats mod), and put their friendship anything above 35. Usually into the 40's, so with decay it doesn't go right back to impartial.

I'm also using the relationship decay mod, so once things do get out of that impartial zone, they don't slip back in too quickly!

I did have to do a little tricky maneuvering to fix the relationships in house. Using the 'manage household' I moved a family sim out, then forgot them, then moved them back in and fixed up the relationship.

As for the bug, I've noticed on mine that if at one time they disliked a sim and it decayed down to "impartial", the disliked icon and title for the relationship remains the same. I have one that decayed to impartial, still said disliked, then I made them a friend.... 100 green bar, it still said they were disliked. Once I forgot them & reintroduced, it was fine.

There are too many impartials to fix everyone (at least for me), so besides my main sim families, I've only been fixing relationships as they run into the impartial sims. (Someone comes by to visit, I'll fix them! Impartials show up at a party, I'll fix them!) They still act like friends (and mine are in the friend list like DeKay's, even when an impartial-friend), so for all the random friendships, I don't actively seek them out to fix.

thanks @sabreene can you confirm you have the updated version of the UI mod and which decay mod are you using. but neither decay mod has been updated since sept 2014 and both have been reported to have issues. i, strongly recommending everyone not to use either option even the script version
    Kathryn12 wrote: »
    The bug seems to vary from sim to sim. I had two child sisters whose relationship was stuck at impartial. I made them dislike each other, and from that point on I had no issue with their relationship. However, I then had two unrelated child sims living in the same household, and nothing I do fixes their relationship no matter what cheats I use, and I'm trying to keep my game mod-free.

I love the sims, but this bug makes it unplayable. I've put a lot of work into my current household, and I don't want to redo everything.

All I can do is hope that the bug is fixed before next month because I won't be able to play it for much longer :/

@Kathryn12 you can use a game cheat to destroy the relationship? see first post. if your games are game cheat free like mod free you could you move out one from the household and then not have then interact long enough to forget each other. or you could ignore the impartial labeling until fixed. they should still have all of the social options for more advanced relationships
  • sabreenesabreene Posts: 1,152 Member
    > @ceejay402 said:
    > thanks! egwarhammer for the suggested mod and sabreene was nice enough to share how shes using the mod: sabreene wrote: »
    >
    > I've been using a combination of the UI Cheats Extension v1.2 and MC Command mods.
    >
    > When I run into someone that my sims are impartial to (most the world, so they are everyplace!), I use the MC Command mod to "forget" them, then introduce my Sim(s) again. Now, with a fresh start, I right click on their portrait (using the UI Cheats mod), and put their friendship anything above 35. Usually into the 40's, so with decay it doesn't go right back to impartial.
    >
    > I'm also using the relationship decay mod, so once things do get out of that impartial zone, they don't slip back in too quickly!
    >
    > I did have to do a little tricky maneuvering to fix the relationships in house. Using the 'manage household' I moved a family sim out, then forgot them, then moved them back in and fixed up the relationship.
    >
    > As for the bug, I've noticed on mine that if at one time they disliked a sim and it decayed down to "impartial", the disliked icon and title for the relationship remains the same. I have one that decayed to impartial, still said disliked, then I made them a friend.... 100 green bar, it still said they were disliked. Once I forgot them & reintroduced, it was fine.
    >
    > There are too many impartials to fix everyone (at least for me), so besides my main sim families, I've only been fixing relationships as they run into the impartial sims. (Someone comes by to visit, I'll fix them! Impartials show up at a party, I'll fix them!) They still act like friends (and mine are in the friend list like DeKay's, even when an impartial-friend), so for all the random friendships, I don't actively seek them out to fix.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > thanks sabreene can you confirm you have the updated version of the UI mod and which decay mod are you using. but neither decay mod has been updated since sept 2014 and both have been reported to have issues. i, strongly recommending everyone not to use either option even the script version

Hi!

I have the most recent version of both the UI mod & the MC Command mod, and I'm using the decay fix that @luthienrising posted about in a different thread. It's the one you set your own decay rate, but you need to download a .cfg file to go with it, as the mod no longer correctly produces one itself. I did read some people get a looping bug when using it, but I haven't had any problems. If anyone uses it, I would recommend saving your games first, though! (I regularly copy my save game file folder onto my back-up drive)

I can't do links yet :( But the post I was referring to is in the gameplay mod section, titled "Relationship Decay fix" by luthienrising. There are links to the mod there too.

The UI Mod I've been using is the most recent one @egwarhammer talked about and linked in the post above.

One nice thing about the UI Mod -- when I was using the modifyrelationship command cheat, I would need type it twice, one for each person, or the relationship would be uneven. The UI mod seems to be changing the relationship for both at the same time. I've just tested a small sample, so gameplay mileage may vary!

The MC Command mod can be found on modthesims, and is MC Command Center by Deaderpool.

In regards to the bug -- I've also noticed if I call a sim on the phone that I had 0 relationship with (probably met them a long time ago and haven't seen them since), I'll get the impartial bug with them. So in my game it seems that across the board, any sim that I wasn't at friends/higher or enemies/lower, is now impartial, loading screen or no.

For the most part, I just fix the relationships when the icon bothers me and hope there will be a patch soon to fix the rest of the town. There are just too many npcs to fix! (plus it doesn't seem to actually make a difference in their relationship)
  • SimGuruDrakeSimGuruDrake Posts: 1,648 SimGuru (retired)
    I have stickied this post.
    Global Community Manager for Maxis / The Sims
  • meubanksmeubanks Posts: 445 Member
    ceejay402 wrote: »
    thanks @DeKay for confirmation it appears the problem is just more one of labeling, you can still get the added social options, have them show up on your friends list and achieve whims. ill update including making them an enemy doesnt work after the relationship is set to impartial

@stilljustme2 try some of the suggestions at first post there are ways to work around this issue for now

The impartial bug does seem prevent fulfillment of aspirations that are dependent on friend status in at least some instances. Like everything else with this bug results are probably a bit wonky and inconsistent. Showing up in the friendship panel does not necessarily mean they will count for aspirations. I has definitely prevented me from completing soul mate in at least one instance even with maxed relationship bars and no prior BFFs. The romantic socials that are tied to the bar will open up, but Become BFF will never do so, because it is apparently triggered by labeling status. this was before I was aware of the bug, and the impartial glitch had taken effect before the romantic relationship.These technical issues are very complex though, and it's hard to isolate factors in order to accurately test them.

I hope the next patch fixes some of these issues. The current technical state of this game has begun to completely erode my desire to play it. Ran repair/ reset the game yesterday and started fresh and my very first save file already fails to launch past world management. I'm afraid to even play anymore because I keep getting hit with new issues, and they have been game-breaking for me. I'm forgiving when it comes to minor glitches but my tolerance has been overwhelmed recently. I'm honestly just letting the game rest and trying to be a positive forum contributor so that I can maintain some spark of hope/enthusiasm for the game. Goodwill can't last forever though. They need to get it into a playable condition soon or I'll eventually give up on it. Daily searches for workarounds are getting old fast, and I've already had to do a fresh install just to get the game to playable because it was completely locked up and unresponsive and every attempted workaround had failed. I want to like this game, but the technical problems are making it hard.

I was able to do the workaround -- destroyed the relationship and restored it. Since destroying the relationship also made them unrelated, I had to use an additional cheat to add in the father/daughter relationship. Everything's back on track now.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,393 Member
    Add me to the list of people with this bug.
  • XaneritheXanerithe Posts: 275 Member
    Thank you for taking the time to write this out, I really appreciate it, I tried doing it the way you said but I am having the same issue. For example I make a new save and I introduce my Sim to another, I don't go anywhere and there is no new loading screens except for entering the game for the very first time, The friendship bar does raise however it still sticks at impartial, I "destroy" the relationship like you mention but after doing so and building up the relationship again it still sticks on impartial.
  • AyradyssAyradyss Posts: 910 Member
    edited July 2015
    @meubanks you bet and you can turn off automatic updates. open origin click on origin/application settings under general unclick updates options.

@ceejay402 -- What you say is true, for what it's worth, but disabling automatic updates does not really solve the issue.

To elaborate:
    1. The game must always be launched via Origin.
    2. Regardless of the state of 'automatic updates,' or 'online/offline mode,'* Origin still -checks- for updates for all of your games as soon as it starts up.
    3. Once Origin checks and determines that there is an update available, it -will not- launch that game until the update has been applied.
    4. At this point, you have no option other than updating if you want to actually run said game.

* Offline mode is -not- sticky, meaning it must be set every time you shut down and restart Origin. This means that when you start Origin, it starts online and will do it's checks for updates, likely before you have the chance to enter the menu and set it to 'offline' mode. (I don't know -- maybe if you're fast and lucky you can get it offline before it checks for your favorite game, but it's definitely not designed to -stay- offline.)

I suppose if you completely disconnect your internet connection every time you run TS4 (or any Origin game) so that Origin cannot check for updates, yes, you could keep playing without an update, but if you have to totally disconnect your internet in order to do that, the 'automatic updates' setting really makes no difference at that point anyway.

So turning off automatic updates doesn't really solve the problem and enable you to play without updating at all. Origin itself would have to be programmed so that it -does not- perform step number 2 listed above -- that of checking to see if an update is available -- when auto-updates is turned off. (Or at least still allow launching the game without updating, even though it acknowledges that an update is available.) Until and unless that change is made to Origin, the whole automatic updates setting is of very little use. (Only real benefit being you can delay patching if you have bandwidth limitations or whatnot, at the cost of not being able to play that game until it's patched.)

As Origin operates currently, the 'offline' mode and 'automatic updates' settings are largely 'placebo' options, as far as I'm concerned. They exist to make users think they have a degree of control that the app is not truly granting. IMO, YMMV and all that.
    Pay for product -- not potential!
  • GaiaPumaGaiaPuma Posts: 2,278 Member
    Ayradyss wrote: »
    @meubanks you bet and you can turn off automatic updates. open origin click on origin/application settings under general unclick updates options.

@ceejay402 -- What you say is true, for what it's worth, but disabling automatic updates does not really solve the issue.

To elaborate:
    1. The game must always be launched via Origin.
    2. Regardless of the state of 'automatic updates,' or 'online/offline mode,'* Origin still -checks- for updates for all of your games as soon as it starts up.
    3. Once Origin checks and determines that there is an update available, it -will not- launch that game until the update has been applied.
    4. At this point, you have no option other than updating if you want to actually run said game.

* Offline mode is -not- sticky, meaning it must be set every time you shut down and restart Origin. This means that when you start Origin, it starts online and will do it's checks for updates, likely before you have the chance to enter the menu and set it to 'offline' mode. (I don't know -- maybe if you're fast and lucky you can get it offline before it checks for your favorite game, but it's definitely not designed to -stay- offline.)

I suppose if you completely disconnect your internet connection every time you run TS4 (or any Origin game) so that Origin cannot check for updates, yes, you could keep playing without an update, but if you have to totally disconnect your internet in order to do that, the 'automatic updates' setting really makes no difference at that point anyway.

So turning off automatic updates doesn't really solve the problem and enable you to play without updating at all. Origin itself would have to be programmed so that it -does not- perform step number 2 listed above -- that of checking to see if an update is available -- when auto-updates is turned off. (Or at least still allow launching the game without updating, even though it acknowledges that an update is available.) Until and unless that change is made to Origin, the whole automatic updates setting is of very little use. (Only real benefit being you can delay patching if you have bandwidth limitations or whatnot, at the cost of not being able to play that game until it's patched.)

As Origin operates currently, the 'offline' mode and 'automatic updates' settings are largely 'placebo' options, as far as I'm concerned. They exist to make users think they have a degree of control that the app is not truly granting. IMO, YMMV and all that.

Weird, my origin stays offline.
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    To play without getting updates just take Origin out of startup before the update (windows startup) and go into airplane mode or turn off WiFi and play the game. You will not be able to browse the gallery but you can access your library while in the game. I was running one update behind thinking that they would fix the new bugs that were introduced but I guess they don't always fix them with the next patch. I am current on the patches now and they still have not fixed bugs/glitches that were introduced with the Dec. patch. I am thankful I do not have the impartial bug though. I did read about it. Anyway.... I think a very simple way around the problem would be to buy the quick friend trait. Your Sims gets friend status almost immediately.
  • AyradyssAyradyss Posts: 910 Member
    GaiaPuma wrote: »
    Weird, my origin stays offline.
    If that is actually true (and I'm not accusing you of lying, simply of perhaps being mistaken) then I would really like to know HOW you achieve that. The only way it would 'stay offline' is if I were to leave my computer turned on and leave Origin running the whole time as every time you exit Origin, it will start up in online mode the next time it runs. By all means, if I am in error, please explain because I would love to be able to keep it offline! I say that with the utmost sincerity.

AnnLee87 wrote: »
    To play without getting updates just take Origin out of startup before the update (windows startup) and go into airplane mode or turn off WiFi and play the game. You will not be able to browse the gallery but you can access your library while in the game. I was running one update behind thinking that they would fix the new bugs that were introduced but I guess they don't always fix them with the next patch. I am current on the patches now and they still have not fixed bugs/glitches that were introduced with the Dec. patch. I am thankful I do not have the impartial bug though. I did read about it. Anyway.... I think a very simple way around the problem would be to buy the quick friend trait. Your Sims gets friend status almost immediately.

I don't usually quote myself, but I'd already addressed that (disconnecting internet as an alternative):
    Ayradyss wrote: »
    So yes, that works, but my point was that the 'automatic updates' and 'offline' settings of Origin itself are ineffective.

(And FWIW, not all of us play on a laptop via WIFI. My full-sized tower has no 'Airplane mode' and disconnecting the ethernet cable from the back of the tower under the desk is . . . awkward.)

Anyway, I'm sorry for the digression. The point is just that the whole 'avoid updating' concept as a workaround is not a very good one, and it is most definitely not something that you can do using the features of Origin, as some have suggested.
    Pay for product -- not potential!
  • meubanksmeubanks Posts: 445 Member
    Sorry if this was already covered. This is a longish thread and I didn't go back and reread everything. Has anyone tried using the alien ability with this issue? I haven't played much with them but I know they can make people forget them. Wondering it that works on overcoming the impartial bug.

The really bad part of this issue is that it is unavoidable if you go to any public lots at all. Many townies will autonomously interact just enough to get on the relationship panel, and there isn't enough time to befriend them all on the first meeting. It could also really play havok with coworker relationships in GTW active careers because science in particular has a lot of mandatory low level interactions but doesn't allow enough time to get them up to friend in one day. Usually my coworkers eventually fall victim to culling anyway though. lol. Twice over the length of the police career I came to work and found that all my coworkers had been culled and replaced.
    This bug also breaks aspirations like Social Butterfly (for kids) and Friend of the World (for teens and up). We've already got the Curator aspiration pretty much broken because you can't collect elements since the mailbox is broken (only thing you can receive is bills), and now two more aspirations are broken. :'(
  • Skyfri_HimmelSkyfri_Himmel Posts: 846 Member
    Now, i havent read all the posts in this thread but i read the first one, listing the problem. I experienced the same today and i can tell you that it is all the relationships, except family that i have lost from my sim, including his girlfriend and his romantic friend, so it doesnt hold up that it is sims that are neither friends nor enemies.
    Origin ID: Kaffepigen

I've started a picture story on imgur! There is both from sims 3 and sims 4, so a little from both worlds! ^_^
    The Sims 3 picture story: imgur.com/a/5A0Sg

The Sims 4 picture story: imgur.com/a/xyPhW
  • SarduchiSarduchi Posts: 208 Member
    The "fixes" listed do not address the problem. When this happens (which in the last couple of days has been every game old or new), it is not with a single relationship but with every character in the game, player controlled or townie. This renders the game more or less unplayable.