Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My sim cannot become friends with anyone.

Comments

• MagicAndPancakesMagicAndPancakes Posts: 149 Member
    Thanks, I'll try that. I guess my sim will have to be a homebody for awhile. :)
  • ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
    edited July 2015
    cfraser10 wrote: »
    Just chiming in to say I have also been experiencing this issue. Two other things to add that I have noticed during my experimenting with figuring out this bug:
    1) The social interactions pie menu seems to recognize when they would normally cross over to "friend" or "good friend" status even if the label doesn't change. I know this because interactions that normally only show up for friends vs. acquaintances (ex: share secret) do appear in the pie menu when they are supposed based on how full the friendship bar is.
    2) I don't know if I am the only one that this happened to, but I invited some of my impartial peeps over to my house to make friends with them right before I noticed the bug, and when I began interacting with them, I had to introduce myself to them as if I had never met them even though their friendship bar was at like 40.

I wonder if it's something to do with Aspirations, maybe? The bug, I mean. People have said "Beloved" trait is not working... let's expand that and say Friend of the World is having issues.

One sort of beneficial thing, if you haven't met your 10 sims yet, here's an easy shot at filling that aspiration pretty quick, re-meeting old friends.

Sounds like a disconnect somewhere, and that isn't something WE can do anything about.

As long as I didn't travel or use manage worlds, I had zero trouble filling the requirements for the friend of the world aspiration, and I've had no extra problems with the beloved trait once I had it. I don't know all the inner workings of the game, but the whole thing seems pretty simple, or at least straight forward; when you travel or manage worlds, the game must do some sort of a save to your relationships, and for whatever the reason, something after the patch is causing the impartial ones to become corrupted to the point where they become stuck. That's about it, or at least, that's all I've seen, and I've played enough since it started to have about 50 friends and various romantic relationships without seeing ANY other symptoms.

I think many of the things people are posting, such as how pie menu items are acting, may be how the game decides when to show those interactions; the friendship level has a number value too (-100 to 100?) and it probably looks at just that instead of enemy, friend, impartial or whatever for interactions. We're able to raise a relationship value all the way to 100 which is good enough for it to bring up new interactions, but the main part that's messed up is flipping that relationship title over to friend. And evidently the friend of the world aspiration is tied to that instead of the number value for whatever the reason.

By the way, my beloved trait is working perfectly normal as far as I can tell. It may be taking the rap since it was the cause of a lot of problems when the first game came out.
  • PearLadyPearLady Posts: 207 Member
    rosemow wrote: »
    egwarhammer wrote: »

I wonder if it's something to do with Aspirations, maybe? The bug, I mean. People have said "Beloved" trait is not working... let's expand that and say Friend of the World is having issues.

One sort of beneficial thing, if you haven't met your 10 sims yet, here's an easy shot at filling that aspiration pretty quick, re-meeting old friends.

Sounds like a disconnect somewhere, and that isn't something WE can do anything about.

Hello @egwarhammer. A simmer posted in a thread the other day that they were having problems with the Friends of the World aspiration not registering on the progress that they were making friends, when they needed to make 20 Friends, although it registered in their friends tab. Their issue could be connected with the impartial issue.

I think that's how my relationship issues started as well. When I discovered the prob in my game, the sim had the friend of the world aspiration going. (and yes, like the others only after the latest patch). Anyway, replying also to keep this thread bumped up to catch ea's attention for a better fix. The temporary fixes are giving me headaches (though I appreciate the options). lol
    Don't anger the fruit. It may make her toot (at you). ;)
  • xKamikatzexKamikatze Posts: 1 New Member
    Really hoping for a patch very soon, I definitely don't want to wait until August. The workarounds suggested in this thread don't help me either, as I want to keep my file cheat- and mod-free (it seems quite bothersome to use them effectively for this bug anyway).
    Like others have already mentioned, the game is basically unplayable right now, the bug simply ruins the entire experience - very unfortunate and very frustrating. And as far as I can tell, it's affecting a lot of people, so getting a fix ASAP would benefit everyone, EA included.
  • SereneDemonSereneDemon Posts: 6 New Member
    I am having the same issues as everyone else. This is sad because I have two sims trying to finish their goals and one needs to mentor another sim (which the other sim has to have a better relationship than "impartial") for 3 hours and my other sim needs her husband to be her BFF. It's odd, they are married, but friendship wise are still impartial. It's like "I think i'll marry you, but I don't trust you or know if I even like you". Not quite right lol. EA please fix this super soon!
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,521 Member
    I am having the same issues as everyone else. This is sad because I have two sims trying to finish their goals and one needs to mentor another sim (which the other sim has to have a better relationship than "impartial") for 3 hours and my other sim needs her husband to be her BFF. It's odd, they are married, but friendship wise are still impartial. It's like "I think i'll marry you, but I don't trust you or know if I even like you". Not quite right lol. EA please fix this super soon!

Hello @SereneDemon. I am sorry that you are experiencing this issue as well. There is a cheat that you can use to get to the next stage of the aspiration if you would like to progress that way? The cheat is
    aspirations.complete_current_milestone
  • lephantlephant Posts: 12 New Member
    I'm experiencing this bug as well and I am sad that none of my children can meet their Social Butterfly goals!
    lephant wrote: »
    I'm experiencing this bug as well and I am sad that none of my children can meet their Social Butterfly goals!

Hello @lephant. I am sorry that the bug is affecting you too, and is preventing your children from achieving the Social Butterfly goals.
    Although you would prefer not to cheat, there is the testingcheats true then aspirations.complete_current_milestone cheat if you would like them to achieve the goals before ageing up. I know that it is a cheat though.
  • SmokeyBearzSmokeyBearz Posts: 1,138 Member
    This bug is in my game too. I get stuck on impartial, unless I do something romantic.
  • meubanksmeubanks Posts: 445 Member
    I have reported this to the QA team, will reach out to those affected if the team has any questions. :)

Thanks for the response. This is a very common bug that is troubling a lot of us. Considering that multiple aspirations can't be completed because of it, it is particularly annoying to deal with. The community has discovered some workarounds. Leaving the lot seems to reset a Sim regarding new relationships. Bugged relationships seem to stay bugged forever though. Even cheating the relationship down and building it back up doesn't move it beyond "impartial" status. There are several related issues with relationship status not advancing aspirations. Basically to complete Soul Mate you have to cheat through 2 tiers of it because they will not give credit even when you meet all of the requirements.
    The BFF mechanic is wonky and poorly thought out even when it works properly. They should honestly either change the way it works, or remove it as a requirement for whims and aspirations. In TS3 you could have more than one "best friend" so it was never really an issue. In TS4 once you have one you can never make another unless you deliberately tank the first relationship. It takes way too much time for them to decay on their own. There also don't seem to be any real benefits to it game play wise. BFF "might" add a few socials(haven't tested), but there are plenty of socials to begin with. If it causes slower decay in the relationship that's nice, but it is under the hood and impossible to really test. Either allow more than one BFF, or allow a new request to over ride the old status, or at least give us some kind of "break up" social so that I can get a new BFF without having to trash the old relationship. Annoying to have soul mate effectively blocked because someone became BFFs with a childhood friend or something. I wish they would change all similar aspiration mechanics to something less wonky. Sorry for getting mildly off topic. It's a related issue that frustrates me. :)
    peoinee wrote: »
    There is alot in this thread to read thru i dont know if someone has found a definet fix or cause but my experiance with this has irritated me to no end.

Usually i can get the first friend to "credit" but its a toss of the dice if someone will really be a friend or not. trying to do the "friend to the world" aspiration is impossible, yes as someone said in the first few pages they show as friends when filtering friends but since it doesnt actually make them a friend they do not count for the aspiration.

I tried resetting my game as rosemow said i intentionally did NOT go in to manage worlds while checking a fresh game before adding back in my files. I made the first friend with no issue but the second person who left the lot before becoming a friend stayed stuck at impartial.

it feels like if the sim leaves the lot (the NPC not your sim) before a friendship is made the bug activates i will test more unless someone has confirmed this aspect.

Leaving the lot will generally reset you and allow you to make new friends, in my experience. There is no fix for the ones that are already bugged, however. Even cheat codes only move the bar up or down. They don't fix the "stuck" impartial status. You may have to use the aspirations cheat if you really want to finish FOTW. Soul mate is also broken. Even when you have BFF or soulmate status with your spouse it doesn't always credit properly. I had to use cheat codes to clear 2 tiers, even though I did everything to complete them in game. Usually I can make 2 friends, and then it bugs before I can make a 3rd one. It glitches FOTW and the social butterfly childhood aspiration.
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    Just to add that I too ran into this problem today ! No matter how high the bar is it shows impartial . It happens to one of my sims and the other sim is ok though
  • naomehnaomeh Posts: 367 Member
    Something odd happened today. I made friends with a character, but shortly after that - I got the "make a friend" whim at random. I was a little annoyed, and I assumed I'd have to chat someone else up to that point, but after doing another social interaction with the person that was already my friend, the whim completed - as if they had just become my friend.

I'm confused as to what this means for the bug. Just seems like another sign of how glitchy the relationships are right now, or it could be completely normal for the "Make a Friend" whim to complete late. I've never seen it happen before now personally.
  • DarkWalkerDarkWalker Posts: 64 Member
    > @naomeh said:
    > Something odd happened today. I made friends with a character, but shortly after that - I got the "make a friend" whim at random. I was a little annoyed, and I assumed I'd have to chat someone else up to that point, but after doing another social interaction with the person that was already my friend, the whim completed - as if they had just become my friend.
    >
    > I'm confused as to what this means for the bug. Just seems like another sign of how glitchy the relationships are right now, or it could be completely normal for the "Make a Friend" whim to complete late. I've never seen it happen before now personally.

If I'm not mistaking things, this happened all the time for me, far before the current patch and the current crop of relationship bugs; my guess is that the game only checks to see if an interaction that increases friendship was used and that at the end the sims were friends, without bothering to check their status before the interaction.
  • naomehnaomeh Posts: 367 Member
    edited July 2015
    @DarkWalker Oh, okay. I thought it might be. thanks for letting me know :persevere:
    I never did complete those whims too much / pay attention before today since it was way too much of a hassle for me, so I wasn't sure.
  • ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
    edited July 2015
    meubanks wrote: »
    There is alot in this thread to read thru i dont know if someone has found a definet fix or cause but my experiance with this has irritated me to no end.

Usually i can get the first friend to "credit" but its a toss of the dice if someone will really be a friend or not. trying to do the "friend to the world" aspiration is impossible, yes as someone said in the first few pages they show as friends when filtering friends but since it doesnt actually make them a friend they do not count for the aspiration.

I tried resetting my game as rosemow said i intentionally did NOT go in to manage worlds while checking a fresh game before adding back in my files. I made the first friend with no issue but the second person who left the lot before becoming a friend stayed stuck at impartial.

it feels like if the sim leaves the lot (the NPC not your sim) before a friendship is made the bug activates i will test more unless someone has confirmed this aspect.

Leaving the lot will generally reset you and allow you to make new friends, in my experience. There is no fix for the ones that are already bugged, however. Even cheat codes only move the bar up or down. They don't fix the "stuck" impartial status. You may have to use the aspirations cheat if you really want to finish FOTW. Soul mate is also broken. Even when you have BFF or soulmate status with your spouse it doesn't always credit properly. I had to use cheat codes to clear 2 tiers, even though I did everything to complete them in game. Usually I can make 2 friends, and then it bugs before I can make a 3rd one. It glitches FOTW and the social butterfly childhood aspiration.

Leaving the lot does NOT reset your sim...that is in fact what causes the problem. Any relationship you have that is not above or below the impartial level will become stuck at impartial at that point. You can always make friends with sims you have not already met, regardless of whether or not you have left your lot, but any that are at impartial when you leave or enter manage worlds are buggered. I verified this by saving the game right before making friends with someone I hadn't met before and was able to make friends when I didn't leave the lot, but when I reloaded the game to just before the point of making friends, then went into manage worlds, it became stuck at impartial. My sim at this point has 54 friends, all made after the problem began and with leaving and staying on the lot, so I've got a pretty good idea of what the problem is. You just have to make sure you make friends with new sims before your trips. Or during them, if you meet someone off lot.

BTW, I don't know about a sim that, say, is on your lot and leaves before you get the chance to fully befriend them. Someone has said that they too become stuck at impartial, even if you meet up with them again before YOU leave your lot. Seems like I had that happen and was still able to make friends, but not really positive.
  • SmurfyDjSmurfyDj Posts: 37 Member
    I've had this happen since the latest update. The only way I can think of fixing this is hoping that the SimGurus notice that we're having this bug and fix it in the next patch!
    Follow Me on Tumblr: DJ-Simmers
    Follow Me on Twitter: DJ_Summers1999
  • TheOpheliacTheOpheliac Posts: 170 Member
    This is a problem for me, too. And it's not just that I can't make friends--I can't make enemies, be disliked, OR start romantic relationships. Everything is stuck at Impartial.

I tried having my Sim be mean to Eliza Pancakes. The bar got red, but the relationship stayed 'Impartial'. They glare at each other, but the game doesn't recognize it as a Disliked relationship. I had the same Sim be friendly with Cassandra Goth. The green bar went up, but it still said 'Impartial'. Nothing I've tried has worked. :disappointed:

I really hope that the SimGurus fix this bug! It's practically a game-breaker for me.
  • BellycrowBellycrow Posts: 72 Member
    I have this bug :( Another game-breaker :( Sigh...
    This is a problem for me, too. And it's not just that I can't make friends--I can't make enemies, be disliked, OR start romantic relationships. Everything is stuck at Impartial.

I tried having my Sim be mean to Eliza Pancakes. The bar got red, but the relationship stayed 'Impartial'. They glare at each other, but the game doesn't recognize it as a Disliked relationship. I had the same Sim be friendly with Cassandra Goth. The green bar went up, but it still said 'Impartial'. Nothing I've tried has worked. :disappointed:

I really hope that the SimGurus fix this bug! It's practically a game-breaker for me.

Hello @TheOpheliac. Thankyou for letting us know the other aspect, that the bug is also stopping your sims from becoming enemies as well. The impartial bug is affecting both making friends and enemies.
    ravynwolvf wrote: »
    meubanks wrote: »

Leaving the lot does NOT reset your sim...that is in fact what causes the problem. Any relationship you have that is not above or below the impartial level will become stuck at impartial at that point. You can always make friends with sims you have not already met, regardless of whether or not you have left your lot, but any that are at impartial when you leave or enter manage worlds are buggered. I verified this by saving the game right before making friends with someone I hadn't met before and was able to make friends when I didn't leave the lot, but when I reloaded the game to just before the point of making friends, then went into manage worlds, it became stuck at impartial. My sim at this point has 54 friends, all made after the problem began and with leaving and staying on the lot, so I've got a pretty good idea of what the problem is. You just have to make sure you make friends with new sims before your trips. Or during them, if you meet someone off lot.

BTW, I don't know about a sim that, say, is on your lot and leaves before you get the chance to fully befriend them. Someone has said that they too become stuck at impartial, even if you meet up with them again before YOU leave your lot. Seems like I had that happen and was still able to make friends, but not really positive.

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't talking about leaving the lot during social interactions. It may modify the way that I play though, because I'll typically go to a public lot and greet as many townies as possible for the FOTW objective, while not necessarily worrying about how far those relationships progress at the time. That may explain why I seem to get stuck at 2 friends because my normal tactic is just to greet a bunch but just concentrate on really socializing with a couple of them That is really all that's manageable anyway. I wonder if meeting a Sim at lot A and then traveling with them to lot B has the same issues if you move before getting past impartial. Maybe the safe bet is to only greet an NPC if you think you'll have enough time to get past impartial in a single event.

I hope that there are some long term solutions to some of these issues. The Sims 4 is a game that encourages if not outright requires Sims to leave their home lots to have a complete gaming experience, but so many of the games most annoying bugs are caused by it. The mailbox bug is similar in nature. In any case it is a potential game-breaker and I hope they can fix it. There are also A LOT of new bugs that have popped up with the latest patches and content releases.
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    hi all
    i summarized the problem here http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/844855/cant-make-friends-stuck-as-impartial-bug-workarounds#latest for convenience, please feel free to add edits, suggestions or updates, thanks
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,079 Member
    I have a similiar issue, except mine are stuck at "Just good friends" Even though their romantically involved.I tried new game, clearing cache, uninstalling and reinstalling the game and origin, updating the game and removing mods.
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    I have a similiar issue, except mine are stuck at "Just good friends" Even though their romantically involved.I tried new game, clearing cache, uninstalling and reinstalling the game and origin, updating the game and removing mods.

ive summarized the issue and works arounds here http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/844855/cant-make-friends-stuck-as-impartial-bug-workarounds#latest