Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I have extreme fear for the Grim Reaper

ElinElin Posts: 36 Member
So I am having a fear that may sound silly to you, but it is really bothering me.

I love The Sims since the first one , but I have always been afraid of the Grim reaper. I remember being 10 years old and running away from my computer because the Grim Reaper appeared.

I am 20 years old but I am still so afraid. I do everything to keep my Sim alive , but I read things that some Sims may die from laughter and such..

What can I do to get over this fear ? I've heared about this cheat; death toggle that turns off death but I do not trust it that much..

Thanks for reading this anyway..and please don't laugh :-)

Comments

• SkobeeSkobee Posts: 2,864 Member
    Ah it's not odd at all! Everyone has a fear that might seem emberassing to others but it's not.

What is it, that you find scary about the Grim reaper, is it how he looks? Or maybe the sounds? I remember when I was younger I was scared of him because the sounds were really scary. Maybe try to see some videos of the Grim reaper, maybe some funny ones so you can click pause if you need to, maybe that'll help :blush:
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
  • javadjavad Posts: 161 Member
    edited July 2015
    i don't think your fear is weird or to be ashamed of in any way. in fact, when i was a kid, i was afraid of two things: grim reaper and burglar. grim reaper looked scary, while burglar was nothing special, but you never knew when he would appear and that scary/intense music made the whole situation terrifying (especially in ts1 - oh god, i hated those sound effects). so i learned to be prepared to witness the grim reaper when my sim was about to die so i wasn't shocked. i also turned the sound down. after some time i got used to him, he wasn't that scary anymore; his animations and some dialogues are actually pretty funny (especially in ts2) so i kinda didn't mind him. i also played the sims 2 and 3 a lot with my friend and he liked to kill off his sims (when he was younger at least) so it was natural that i'd witness the grim reaper often. besides i didn't want to look like a coward in front of him, so i got used to it haha. :smiley:
    as for the burglar, i turned the volume down every in-game night and zoomed the camera out, so i had control over the whole lot. and after some time i kinda "lost my fear" of getting burgled too. :)
    if you could tell us, what you find scary about grim reaper (as the poster above me suggested), we could give you more suggestions on how to cope with him. :)
  • MightydanMightydan Posts: 2,983 Member
    That's alright man. I'm scared of babies and children.
  • Biotic_WarlockBiotic_Warlock Posts: 11,063 Member
    Gallery ID: Biotic_Warlock
  • SeraphicPinkSeraphicPink Posts: 202 Member
    edited July 2015
    I have to agree with most, its okai to be scared of the grim reaper.

Actually I have to agree a lot with @javad because I was scared of both grim and burglars when I was younger. Not really scared, but they stressed me out a lot!

I got over it thou.
    A good way to overcome a fear is to face it.
    I would make a scenario for the grim reaper to come and observe it.
    Remember, its just a game. Use a sim you don't care about at all for the experiment. Pause, check it out.

It's really not that bad, face that fear! :)

PS: Ghosts in sims 3 were also something I had to get over. LOL
    My Simblr: http://seraphicsimblr.tumblr.com/
    Origin: SeraphicPink

• Anemone7Anemone7 Posts: 3,950 Member
    I don't know how to overcome that fear, but it's nothing to be ashamed of. Are you afraid of the whole death scenario or of how the grim reaper looks?
  • PearLadyPearLady Posts: 207 Member
    Maybe d/l the grim from the gallery and play with it if it's just the figure that gets you spooked. Although, IDK if it would help with the fear of GR taking your sims away. I try to remind myself, "they're just pixels....they're just pixels". hehe
    Don't anger the fruit. It may make her toot (at you). ;)
  • ElinElin Posts: 36 Member
    Thanks for the comments !

I think the scariest thing is that I do not know when it happens. It can suddenly happen and then he pops up. And yeah, he looks pretty scary to me.

Maybe its a good idea to face it and kill a sim or whatever but i gotta find someone who is willing to sit with me so i am not alone . And i definitely tur the audio off. But I'm scared haha. I will probably panic.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    if you went to keep your sim alive there are 2 things you can do play with aging fully turn off 1 and 2 turn off death via the testing cheat true code
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Add Grimmy to your household and you'll see he's a nice fellow just doing his job.
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I am afraid of Burglars, Bonehilda, and the Tragic Clown oh and the old Crumplebottom lady. And now nlthat sketchy NPC bear in Granite falls. I want to skin him and make him a rug.

Strangely. Enough the Grim Reaper is the only one I fould cool enough, well now in the Sims 4, He's awesome tho, delightful I sacrifice sims occationally just to see him.

I'm very jealous of how he poofs into the room.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • MkinsMkins Posts: 79 Member
    It's common for a childhood fear to affect you later in life. I have my issues too with certain characters in games that I was frightened by and when I play them now, I still have trouble with them. I'm 31 and I had reoccurring nightmares of skeletons and ghosts as a child that haunt me still.

I think my biggest fear in Sims became ghosts because of that. In the original Sims I moved into the Goth house and didn't notice the graveyard. Watching my Sims get spooked by ghosts I couldn't interact with frightened me. I got jumpy in Sims 3 when they would appear suddenly too, and in Sims 2 House of Fallen Trees pretty much finished me off.

Turn off aging and save often. If you Sim starts to die from something, quickly reload your previous save.
  • purplestarz2006purplestarz2006 Posts: 340 Member
    edited July 2015
    OP, I know exactly where you are coming from. I actually wasn't too fond of Grimmy either back in the TS1 days. Skeletons in general always freaked me out a bit, especially as a child. I even chose not to install Livin' Large when re-installing my game because I just didn't want to have him there. (I also remember trying to install a mod that replaced him with an "angel of death", but being 12 years old and having no understanding of how Sims mods worked it didn't go so well.)

When TS2 came along and Grimmy became base game content, I had a modded painting that I used to stop Sims from aging to elder so I could experience the rest of the aging cycle without him appearing. But then I decided I wanted to start a Prosperity challenge. Prosperity is a generational challenge, kind of a rotational version of a Legacy, so if I wanted to do it properly I had to let Sims die of old age. I also decided to blog my challenge, which meant that I had to document the deaths somehow; I couldn't just scroll to another part of the screen until it was over. I ended up having to gradually desensitize myself. The first time an elder died of old age, I zoomed out as far as the camera would allow so he only appeared as a gray dot. Each time afterward, I tried to move the camera a little bit closer, until I didn't need to move the camera away at all. (The fact that you could no longer see the skull inside the hood helped a great deal too. The less skeletal, the better.)

Granted, in TS2 Grimmy's animations were more silly at times, especially for old age deaths and pet deaths. The TS4 "reaping" animation still startles me a bit, and I still tend to hit fast forward through it once I've gotten the necessary screenshots to document the death. I would advise against intentionally toggling many deaths in a row to "force" yourself to get over the fear. Don't make you're entire gameplay experience about Sim deaths. Play the game normally, maybe creating some households with elders as TS4 provides plenty of warning when a Sim is going to die from old age. When it happens, zoom out. Scroll farther away and watch from the public space. (TS2 didn't provide this option.) Hit fast forward if you need to. Once it's over, go back to playing your game. Eventually it will get easier. You may never love the character, but you'll be able to play the game without panicking. Alternatively, you could also watch YouTube clips of Sims dying in other people's games to desensitize yourself. Maybe let the audio play from another tab at first, then watch the video.

It also may help to learn about the concept/character of the Grim Reaper outside of The Sims; it may be less frightening if you can see the cultural history behind the character. (This helped me out a great deal as well.)

Of course, you may still play doing everything possible to keep your Sims alive and that's ok. And you may choose to play with aging off so your Sims don't die from old age, which is fine too. If it wasn't, that option wouldn't be in the game. While I still do let my Sims die of old age, I also don't intentionally lock them in a pool or set them on fire. And if they go into the "Mortified" or "Hysterical" emotions, you can bet I do everything in my power to bring that down. But I don't have anxiety any time I'm on a lot with an elder on it anymore.
    TranquilityCreekBannerMaskssmall.jpg
  • BobboBobbo Posts: 1,471 Member
    I can't imagine being afraid of cartoon characters in a game. I guess it is because I am older and my life has not been as easy as others. Fear is a tool to sharpen your senses when needed. Fear has kept me alive in some pretty dangerous situations because I realized that cowering would result in death. Trust me, it is not easy to charge a person who has a gun pointed at you.

Fear should keep us from being victims not victims of fear.
  • knazzerknazzer Posts: 3,382 Member
    Grimmy is pretty tame in The Sims 4 not like his Sims 1 & 2 counterpart :D
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    I wouldn't call it weird. It's more in line with a phobia. Phobias make no sense as it is. While we can identify that our own fear makes no sense or causes us no harm, our brains have a harder time getting the picture. I really like tthe suggestion of watching funny videos of him. Although its not as simple as disabling death as grim likes to wander around town sometimes. Hes most often at the gym in my game
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • SimPoseyYumSimPoseyYum Posts: 995 Member
    @Elin, did you know you you can make friends with Grim? You don't have to experience a Sim death to get to know him/her. S/he sometimes hangs around town, in off-duty mode. I've seen Grim fishing, or having a drink at the bar. Very approachable and quite friendly!

One of my Sims in one of my games made friends with Grim and they became BFFs. She and Grim often chatted often, either in person or via PC or phone. Heh I was tempted to see if I could start a romance, but that wasn't the direction I wanted this particular Sim's life to go in. Now that I think about it, though...

As @zeldagirl180 suggests, this sounds like a phobia. Perhaps, if you can steel your nerves long enough, you could have a Sim approach off-duty Grim and strike up a conversation. Tougher to do than it sounds, I know, if the very thought of Grim sets your teeth on edge.
  • jennihopejennihope Posts: 321 Member
    It's that sound effects that come with the Grim Reaper that freaks me out.
    follow my simblr: https://beautesims.tumblr.com/ <-- still under construction
    origin id: jennihope
  • DoritoEvieDoritoEvie Posts: 1,887 Member
    Elin wrote: »
    Thanks for the comments !

I think the scariest thing is that I do not know when it happens. It can suddenly happen and then he pops up. And yeah, he looks pretty scary to me.

Maybe its a good idea to face it and kill a sim or whatever but i gotta find someone who is willing to sit with me so i am not alone . And i definitely tur the audio off. But I'm scared haha. I will probably panic.

Well, before Grimmy pops up you will see your sim lie down on the floor and take their last breath. And then he'll appear, so he won't come without warning - you'll know when it happens.
    tumblr_nbwr2zn6951qhv4h7o8_250.giftumblr_mg2bcqeUgc1rthmb0o1_500.gif

• emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    Death.toggle false is a totally safe cheat.
    I know people in rl with far worse fears. Tons of ppl ik in rl are afraid of things far stupider.
    But to get over your fear (which is important) I would force yourself to watch the grim reaper reap souls on sims 4.
    He loves pink puffy cake & strawberry ice cream which is true. He is quite cute and nice actually, not scary at all.
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!
  • javadjavad Posts: 161 Member
    btw, THIS is what scared me the most in any the sims game ever (whole the sims 2 psp paranormal stuff being a close second). :O
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4djJULQHnR0

this bloodcurdling sound-effect that would play and scare me whenever something bad would happen. it even played whenever a racoon would step on my property - which could happen at any time, without any signs. at least you had control over your sims, so they wouldn't die (they didn't age anyway) or miss their work, but you couldn't do anything about those racoons i believe. except turning the volume down for about 90% of the gameplay. :s
    this intense music was used very well and it would usually scare you when you least expected it, fans of horror movies would love it haha. :D
    i'm not scared of the music itself anymore, but it would still make me uncomfortable hearing this unexpectedly during gameplay. unfortunately i don't have the sims 1 installed. :/
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    Everyone has a fear of something :) I typically play with no deaths just turn off aging, no reaper ever. You could also desensitize yourself by exposing yourself slowly to the reaper. Like look up funny pic of the sims reaper, lots out there. Or Like have a death occur in a household and have another house sim befriend him. He's like other sims when he's not working :D

Since you are asking I'm guessing you want more control of this fear I say just add more dimension to the reaper less creepy stuff and see if your fear decreases. I hate bugs always have when I was young I would lose it if there were any near me I still want to now and I still acknowledge the feeling I just trained myself to freak out less and it's helped, good luck
  • emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    ceejay402 wrote: »
    Everyone has a fear of something :) I typically play with no deaths just turn off aging, no reaper ever. You could also desensitize yourself by exposing yourself slowly to the reaper. Like look up funny pic of the sims reaper, lots out there. Or Like have a death occur in a household and have another house sim befriend him. He's like other sims when he's not working :D

Since you are asking I'm guessing you want more control of this fear I say just add more dimension to the reaper less creepy stuff and see if your fear decreases. I hate bugs always have when I was young I would lose it if there were any near me I still want to now and I still acknowledge the feeling I just trained myself to freak out less and it's helped, good luck
    Too bad I lost an amazing rare one on sims 3.
    Can't retrieve it because I refuse to touch my old PC; it's totally broke!
    It was the grim reaper staying at my hotel and eating pink ice cream
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!
  • lovebypondsidelovebypondside Posts: 1,364 Member

So apropos. :D
    Origin ID: byscreenside
    Twitter: @byscreenside
    Youtube: YT

• lovebypondsidelovebypondside Posts: 1,364 Member
    OP, I don't blame you. I get a tad nervous when I hear him come for one of my sims. I didn't read all through, but I'm assuming someone has mentioned you're likely to see him hanging around town in TS4.
    Origin ID: byscreenside
    Twitter: @byscreenside
    Youtube: YT