Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sick of this Stealing nonsense?

Comments

• Options
    HulaHula Posts: 1 New Member
    I haven't played properly since October and I've got hooked again. But when I decided to look for a nice house for my new family to live in, I was surprised to see a lot of mine had 20k downloads only someone else had uploaded it and even advertised it as their own in a thread!!

I honestly don't mind people reuploading but credit would be nice. I worked so hard on that house so I knew straight away. I even have the house plan I used for inspiration.

I was going to message the user about it but I figured what's the point?! It's been like 7/8 months now. I just wish there was a way to "tag" your lot so if anyone placed it in their game, tweaked and reuploaded it would automatically give credit. Then people can't use the excuse of "oh I forgot"

Oh well I won't let it stop me! A little knock to my motivation to build but I'm sure I'll get over it.

Happy Simming!
  • Options
    meubanksmeubanks Posts: 445 Member
    Unless it is cc or other original content there is really nothing to "steal" anyway. I agree with the OP in that the randomizer will produce very many similar-to-identical looking Sims, and there is just not that much variety in terms of traits and aspirations to tweak. Almost all of the Sims on the gallery are fairly similar, so we should all just get over ourselves and stop pretending that "our" content is particularly original. In the case of cc and mods I see the point, but in standard Maxis content I just don't. I don't upload Sims at all, and I only upload a house if I get some exceptional results while playing with the builder. If someone tweaks my idea and "steals" it I'm not really bothered. It wasn't really "my" creation to start with. It's just me playing with the standard Maxis tools.
  • Options
    SimPoseyYumSimPoseyYum Posts: 995 Member
    This is pretty much why I don't use the Gallery for either upload or download. Not worth all the hurt feelings that come with it.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    Gos
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    This is what gets me about this community. This whole stealing business. On Tumble, there are creators whining about people stealing their creations when, in fact, they've stolen the mesh from somewhere else and/or have made an EP item base game compatible (which is actually jail time stealing from EA).

I used to run a housing website for TS2 and loved seeing people using my houses, tweaking them, reuploading them, taking pics. I shared to share and see my stuff used. It made me happy that people were enjoying the things I created.

And now, I will take other houses off the gallery and tweak them to my liking and reupload them. Not to share, but because that's like saving to the cloud instead of locally. It means that I don't have to remember the tray folder if I have to reinstall. So I simply write: For my own personal use. Modified lot.

And if someone says something to me, I'll tell them to take a hike. Don't share of you don't want to see other people using it or reuploading it. You basically give people permission by uploading. So...be smart and don't share you intellectual property.
    gosh, this is the way I feel too. I am happy when people upload my things. I don't care if they tweak them and re upload them. I too change most things I download an re upload the change to my library, but would like upload to the gallery because it works like the cloud... I think I might just start doing that saying it is modified from someone's original.
  • Options
    woodenbear50woodenbear50 Posts: 38 Member
    > @BryonyRae said:
    > While I don't think EA will ever prevent re-uploading, their latest patch notes seem to make clear that they do consider it a form of plagiarism:
    >
    > "We fixed a plagiarism issue that was allowing the “Original by” creator information associated with a lot or room to become lost after using the placement option via Manage Worlds and then re-uploading the lot to the Gallery." See here for actual post.
    >
    > From this, we know that they are working to at least ensure that the original creator retains some credit, and I think that it was always their intention, given the presence of the "Original By" field since the inception of the game. Once that field is fully locked down, people will still be able to re-upload to their heart's content, but they won't be able to present another's work as if it were completely their own creation.

With created sims the creators name would be still there in the details and I thought this was true with the houses but some show it, some do not. I don't post my houses as they are really ugly and I lack the talent. Sims how ever are different as you can create a similar looking sim just by clicking the randomize button till it shows up. There must be thousands of sim lookalikes on the community boards and if everybody claimed them to be theirs there would be nothing left to create. The creators need to approach this is a civil manner, shaming a person is not the answer. Talk to the person and let them know it was your creation and while you appreciate them reposting it they should really ask first or at least mention the original person. I took a house down because I assumed it would show the original creator like it does with sims but it didn't do it so I deleted it so not to be attacked and called demeaning names.
  • Options
    BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    @woodenbear50 The original by can be removed from any type of creation at this point, be it lot, sim, or room; there are loopholes for each case (unfortunately). Sometimes it's done on purpose; sometimes it's an accident. I agree with you that creators should be polite in their approach to a re-uploaded creation, as they may not know the circumstances upon first sight. Even if they determine that it was done deliberately, there is still little to gain by an attack, and I think that sometimes well meaning friends do more harm than good when they pile on. However, this is just my perspective. I do understand the emotions behind how some of the creators are reacting as well, especially when they have it happen to them over and over again.

The loopholes in the Original By just need to get completely patched so that credit is reliably given where it's due.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    MarjiaMarjia Posts: 363 Member
    It's simply unethical to strip the original creator's name off a creation and re-upload it without giving credit to the original creator. People who do that obviously don't care about ethics. But you're right, once you upload something to the gallery it legally belongs to Maxis.
  • Options
    pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    BryonyRae wrote: »
    While I don't think EA will ever prevent re-uploading, their latest patch notes seem to make clear that they do consider it a form of plagiarism:

"We fixed a plagiarism issue that was allowing the “Original by” creator information associated with a lot or room to become lost after using the placement option via Manage Worlds and then re-uploading the lot to the Gallery." See here for actual post.

From this, we know that they are working to at least ensure that the original creator retains some credit, and I think that it was always their intention, given the presence of the "Original By" field since the inception of the game. Once that field is fully locked down, people will still be able to re-upload to their heart's content, but they won't be able to present another's work as if it were completely their own creation.

This is true...it's not stealing if the original creator is given credit. What I don't like is when people whine about others using their content and tweaking. Not cool. If you don't like that, DON'T UPLOAD IT!

I have original things uploaded and love to see others' takes on my creations! And sometimes it doesn't give me credit. Who cares? I know it's mine and someone has used it and received enjoyment from it. That's what I do. Entertaining people is my craft.
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
  • Options
    MarjiaMarjia Posts: 363 Member
    edited July 2015
    I had a lady give me credit when she modified one of my lots, i thought that was super sweet of her, and i liked what she did with the lot and told her so. That's really a compliment. Well you know you're doing good when people start stealing your stuff. hehe
  • Options
    Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    If I read the OP correctly, she/he is annoyed with all the gallery tags of "no stealing" and such. I realize people are zealous for their own creative work, but if you upload it to the gallery you are allowing anyone to do anything they want with it. Even claim it as their own. I thought that had been fixed so that the original designer's info stayed with the upload even if you try to claim it.
  • Options
    You know what is funny I counted 6+ cowboy girl sims that are all the maxis sim. Now if everyone claimed that as their sim no one would be able to post nothing. I like the idea of giving the original artist credit when it comes to houses and some sims as they take a lot of work. I really dislike the attacks and shaming I see going on. Inna Minnit (love your Avatar name) I see now that mostly all sims have the original artist ID listed. With houses it seems some are and some are not I think eventually things will calm down. Marjia I agree if they are stealing your creations you must be good....
  • Options
    I just read that there are approximately 98,000,000 sims created since the Sims 4 came out? I am sure there must be lookalikes in the mix? I use a EA template of a sim, add EA or custom content to the Sim that EA or someone else made? How can I even call this mine without EA or someones content and sim template I would have a stick or just a dot. There is another campaign to STOP STEALING in the Gallery now so while I keep it peaceful I do speak about it...
  • Options
    JackOnYourBackJackOnYourBack Posts: 1,261 Member
    edited January 2016
    :neutral:

Body is 5 characters too short.
    Post edited by JackOnYourBack on
    Gallery ID: JackOnYourBack
  • Options
    meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    What does it even matter if someone tweaks and then re-uploads something? Doesn't it always say Original Creator anyway?
    I re-upload stuff all the time because the library feature doesn't transfer when I play on my brother's computer. That's the only way I can get access to the stuff I previously downloaded on my account when using a different computer.

I think the whole plagiarism thing is really dumb. Who cares if someone took a pixalated house or sim and re-uploaded it. People are acting like they're losing money with this feature. If its your sense of pride in work you feel you're losing, that's the risk you take when you showcase something in a place with an open download option that a bunch 10 year old kids use. IMO if you worked hard on something and don't want people taking it then don't upload it. Most of the stuff in the gallery with all this stealing nonsense in the comments are all gaudy and tacky anyway.
  • Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    i do the same thing as well. I upload sims to the exchange (sims3). I do not care what the person does with the sim and if they want to say its their sim I'm fine with that cause that was the whole point of me sharing that sim. If that person doesn't want people to "steal" their creations then don't upload them to the public. I have seen fights over cc and i just think its crazy, Its nothing but pixels so i find it trivial to get upset over it. We do not own the sims, EA does..we're just allowed to use it for fun and creative purposes.
    giphy.gif

• Options
    claudette84claudette84 Posts: 115 Member
    Personally, I don't upload much stuff to the gallery, but it makes me happy when simmers do download what few things I've uploaded. I've made a few politician sims and a bar venue I think. I try to make things that are usable--not overly complicated. When my creations get download hits, I think, "good other simmers like them and will use them." I'm totally fine with others using my creations, tweaking them however they see fit, and re-uploading the revisions to the gallery. If someone is "plagiarizing," I assume it's a game glitch on EA's end. I don't assume it's a malicious act. EA will either fix it or they won't. What's really at stake here? I'm not using these creations for anything. I'm not publishing them outside of the game, I'm not incorporating them into job application portfolios, etc. It's just for fun. If we ever get witches, I'm totally making an Endora sim and uploading her to the gallery. Use her and modify her however you wish. :smiley:
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I have shared some lots and Sims on the gallery. However, it might be very annoying to see part of your house (a room etc.) in someone's else's lot and you never got the credit and you know it is yours and all they did was knock down a wall, change the paint, etc. But it still a part of a house you know you built. It's just a particular room in that house was taken out and put in someone else's build and redecorated with paint. I see that a lot.

I have decided the best way to get around someone taking your stuff or you being accused of stealing is not to upload anything to the gallery anymore. Why? Because it's not like we need the gallery to save our creations, do we? No, we don't. The DVD and CD still works to save files which would include lots and Sims. Also, thumb drives, external HDDs, Bluetooth, flash drives and anywhere else you can save your stuff.

And if you want to 'share' something just post pictures of your work. No one can claim you stole that when you can prove (within your game what date you built and what month) and no one can steal it, if you just post pictures. And forget the gallery and it's self gratification.

Because I have seen thousands of downloads of original creator's work on there under other user's account names. And seems no one minded but download the second user's stuff more than they did the original player's original work. It's all strange. So, I have decided just to share a picture from now on, and not share anything anymore. lol

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Issabella14Issabella14 Posts: 1,656 Member
    edited September 2015
    I got ripped apart because I uploaded a house that I built on a lot where someone elses house (that I downloaded) used to be, so when I uploaded my house it showed up as theirs, I posted a comment saying the house WAS mine (which it was) and the original creator took advantage of this bug/glitch and got me reported. Never used the gallery to upload my stuff since, if you uploaded, you're doing it at your own risk.

@BryonyRae , this has just happened to me. I just built a house for a challenge on a bulldozed lot that originally had a home by "donleon09". When I saved my own house to my library, it show that the original creator is "donleon09". How can I correct this, or am I going to loose my creation to a glitch???
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I got ripped apart because I uploaded a house that I built on a lot where someone elses house (that I downloaded) used to be, so when I uploaded my house it showed up as theirs, I posted a comment saying the house WAS mine (which it was) and the original creator took advantage of this bug/glitch and got me reported. Never used the gallery to upload my stuff since, if you uploaded, you're doing it at your own risk.

@BryonyRae , this has just happened to me. I just built a house for a challenge on a bulldozed lot that originally had a home by "donleon09". When I saved my own house to my library, it show that the original creator is "donleon09". How can I correct this, or am I going to loose my creation to a glitch???

This is a bad bug. And I don't know of anyway other than to start a new game with no ones' lots in your game on those lots. Bulldoze Maxis houses so you can build your own. And use that to upload. A new game/a new save. However, this won't solve the bad bug on some lots like Oakenstead (?) if you bulldoze Maxis lot you can't build without foundation. That is something that is really bad when you want to build a house without a foundation (it will still be attached in some Maxis lots).
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    @Issabella14 Sorry, for some reason even though you tagged me, I wasn't notified about your post on the thread. Unfortunately, the only thing you can do is to save your build as a set of rooms and then start rebuilding on a new lot. It's actually not too bad unless you're dealing with a really intricate build or a lot of landscaping stuff. Even so, you can typically draw a room around a lot of your outdoor areas too, save them, and after placing them on the new lot, just delete the walls and be back in business. I had to do this myself with my Ra's Tower build, so I feel your pain.

@Cinebar Unfortunately, starting a new game and using a Maxis lot is no guarantee that the bug won't happen...it happened to me in a fresh game and lot. I think the only way you could absolutely prevent it would be to do a folder reset and not download/import any community lots from the gallery until your build is complete. That's pretty extreme though, for a glitch that is occasional. Instead, I would recommend always saving your build to the library and check the original by afterward (do this right at the beginning too, after you've bulldozed but before you do any work on the lot) and occasionally copying and pasting your tray folder elsewhere as a backup (since the bug can happen at any time and it does appear to hit retroactively).
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    Issabella14Issabella14 Posts: 1,656 Member
    @BryonyRae Thanks for your for the advise, at least now I have hope, much appreciated. :)
  • Options
    @Issabella14 You're welcome! Hope it works out. :)
  • Options

I did this with a sims I downloaded, I deleted her and decided to my my own version of her which turned out really nice? I thought I was ok as when I went to save it was her name in the box at the top so I saved the Sim and checked my library and I had the original artist name on it I just sunk! It was was hard but I deleted it. I have stopped posting to the gallery as there is to many clicky groups ready to pounce on anyone who make a silly mistake like this but they think you have stolen it and there are a mean group....
  • Options
    urygauryga Posts: 559 Member
    edited September 2015
    OP
    Its not that they are stealing it, People are using your wonderful Idea's and some may change it a little to make it their own.
    They post it to their galley so they don't lose it.
    If there game messes up they can just go to their page and re download it again.
    Maybe EA can when they get time Put a little original post tag for the Item's.
    Post edited by uryga on
  • Options
    @woodenbear50 Sorry to hear that! I know what a pain the bug is. Depending upon how complicated your build is, perhaps the room technique will work for you. Save each room of your home to your library (and you can also create rooms around part of your landscape if you don't want to re-do it as well) and then place them on a new lot and put them back together. Save the lot first though, to make sure its original by is clear. Also, I think that more people are becoming aware of the bug; if you explain in your description, you shouldn't get attacked. It's usually only when people recognize an original piece of work that they get really irate about it.

@uryga This is true in some cases, but there are many others where the person is deliberately claiming the work as his/her own. These are the cases that get people aggravated. There is already an "original by" tag on each upload, but in the case of households and rooms, there are loopholes that people can use (whether deliberately or by accident) in order to delete the original by. This used to be the case with lots too, but EA did a good job of fully closing loopholes for them.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top