Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My sim cannot become friends with anyone.

I am having an issue with my sim not being able to become friends with other sims, The friendship/relationship bar goes full but it still shows impartial under the relationships menu, I do not have any mods installed. Anyway to fix this?

Comments

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    Hello.
    Repairing the game may help. To do that, right click on the sims 4 picture in Origin and click repair.
    Also delete the cache files.
    http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/delete-cache-files/

Also try the resetSim (first name ) (second name ) on the sim and see if that helps.

Travelling to another lot may help as well.
  • ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
    edited July 2015
    I'm having the exact same problem, and on multiple sims. I have made a couple for some reason, but most are staying at impartial. Tried minusing the relationship then plusing it again but still nothing. Looks very much like a new bug.

Btw, I don't know why every time there is a problem in the game the suggestion to repair the game comes up. Pretty sure that all that does is compare the list of files that should be installed with the ones that are installed and puts any that are missing back in, and generally that shouldn't fix gameplay issues. Cache files may be a different story, but after playing for years ever since the first game out, that never solved anything either for me, other than load times and how well the game was running.
    Post edited by ravynwolvf on
  • XaneritheXanerithe Posts: 275 Member
    Yeah I repaired my game before posting, I should've added that, but yeah not sure how to fix this, I made a new save and it's doing the same thing.
    edited July 2015
    BTW, when I used that relationship cheat to lower and raise a relationship, the bar didn't even move. A red minus and green plus appeared by the sim, but the bar itself didn't budge. So there is definitely something wonky going on.

Edit: now the bar is moving up and down with the cheat (no idea what was happening before), but after lowering it below the friendship threshold and raising it again with the cheat, still no friendship happens.
  • ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    @Xanerithe i just tested and this is happening to me as well!! last night i set up a test game for the new patch and have no mods and was able to easily to make friends and i just tried based on your OP and i cant get relationship to get past impartial as well even though the bar is almost full. ill keep testing and report back.
    Is it happening with all of your sims?
    Try resetting your sims 4 folder and see if that helps. To do that, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated. Start a new game and test to see if the sims can make friends. Then, exit the game and then add back the "options.ini" file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated file/ folders with the old file/folders.
    edited July 2015
    ok @Xanerithe i just did some more testing and was able to get relationship stats to improve. first i started another household to test another issue not sure if rotating household is necessary but the new household i had no trouble making friends. i did return the household where my guy couldn't make friends . i had him travel to another lot this will reset your sim and then had him call the impartial but very high bar relationship. no dice. but i did have him chat up someone new and he could then make friends with the new person, normal speed.
    edited July 2015
    rosemow wrote: »
    Try resetting your sims 4 folder and see if that helps. To do that, move your sims 4 folder ( that is in Documents -Electronic Arts - then the sims 4 folder is there ) to the desktop. Then start the game, and a new sims 4 folder will be generated. Start a new game and test to see if the sims can make friends. Then, exit the game and then add back the "options.ini" file and the "saves" , "screenshots" "tray" "custom music " and "mods" folders to the new sims 4 folder, replacing the new generated file/ folders with the old file/folders.

I did this and the sim in the new game was able to make friends (at least the first one I tried), but after putting the folders and such back in and going back to my saved game, still unable to make any friends in that one.

Maybe it's just my imagination, but it seems like getting the friendship bar up seems to take a lot less time now. This is a new sim I had made right before the patch, so he has very little charisma skills, but the bar fills up very quickly.
    ravynwolvf wrote: »

I did this and the sim in the new game was able to make friends (at least the first one I tried), but after putting the folders and such back in and going back to my saved game, still unable to make any friends in that one.

see my posting above i was able to figure out a work around hopefully its helpful for you as well :)

Maybe it's just my imagination, but it seems like getting the friendship bar up seems to take a lot less time now. This is a new sim I had made right before the patch, so he has very little charisma skills, but the bar fills up very quickly.

I hope that doing what Ceejay did helps you.
    ceejay402 wrote: »
    ok @Xanerithe i just did some more testing and was able to get relationship stats to improve. first i started another household to test another issue not sure if rotating household is necessary but the new household i had no trouble making friends. i did return the household where my guy couldn't make friends . i had him travel to another lot this will reset your sim and then had him call the impartial but very high bar relationship. no dice. but i did have him chat up someone new and he could then make friends with the new person, normal speed.

Did the exact same thing, going in to two different houses and back into mine. moved sim out, back in, going to different lots. No change with any sims he already knows; the bar goes well past the point where it should change to friend but stays at impartial. He can however make friends with a sim he has never met. But since he already knows 52 sims, it means that basically there is no way to ever become friends with any of them, which also means that yet again one of my games is basically plum bobbed.
    edited July 2015
    ceejay402 wrote: »

Did the exact same thing, going in to two different houses and back into mine. moved sim out, back in, going to different lots. No change with any sims he already knows; the bar goes well past the point where it should change to friend but stays at impartial. He can however make friends with a sim he has never met. But since he already knows 52 sims, it means that basically there is no way to ever become friends with any of them, which also means that yet again one of my games is basically plum bobbed.

ugh! my test game is new but not good to think if your sim is not already a friend with someone but already knew them they cant advance the relationship. ok im going to open an older save game and test as well.
    ok just tried a older save @ravynwolvf and same out come if my sim already knew the sim and they werent friends i cant get past impartial status.
    I did find one workaround that did the trick on one the first sim I tried it on, anyway. One that is a lot of work and time consuming. I used the relationship cheat to lower the relationship to almost nothing on one of the sims I was unable to become friends with, then let it decay naturally the rest of the way until the sim in question disappeared from the list of sims I knew. When I re-met them and chatted them back up, the friendship level popped up right on queue. So basically I could lock my sim up and let him forget everyone he knew, and hopefully whatever bug or whatever caused it would be removed between them.

No way to know if it will always work until I try it, and not sure what step in all this reset it, since although I had made the sim in question before the patch, I hadn't started playing the game with him in it until afterwards, and I have no idea why it was messed up. So continues the lovely game within a game that is the sims, trying to make whatever is messed up next work right.
    I did find one workaround that did the trick on one the first sim I tried it on, anyway. One that is a lot of work and time consuming. I used the relationship cheat to lower the relationship to almost nothing on one of the sims I was unable to become friends with, then let it decay naturally the rest of the way until the sim in question disappeared from the list of sims I knew. When I re-met them and chatted them back up, the friendship level popped up right on queue. So basically I could lock my sim up and let him forget everyone he knew, and hopefully whatever bug or whatever caused it would be removed between them.

No way to know if it will always work until I try it, and not sure what step in all this reset it, since although I had made the sim in question before the patch, I hadn't started playing the game with him in it until afterwards, and I have no idea why it was messed up. So continues the lovely game within a game that is the sims, trying to make whatever is messed up next work right.

Thank you for posting your helpful workaround. :) It is good to know a way around it.
    Just an update...I did manage to lose all the relationships he had (gosh, that was fun), and he started out from scratch with a sim he was previously unable to build a friendship with, and he got it right on queue this time. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that for whatever reason the patch jammed something up in my sims folder to where friendships were virtually impossible. Perhaps doing what Rosemow suggested above (thanks, Rosemow!), resetting my sims folder, cleared it for new relationships since they seemed to work afterwards, but the relationships that were already started were still corrupted and couldn't be fixed. Hopefully starting them all over after the reset will make them work from this point on...at least that's what it looks like.
  • UnexpectedGuestUnexpectedGuest Posts: 3 New Member
    It seems that this bug appears after you switched to "manage Worlds". I created 2 new Sims (Teen Girls), they could make friends without problems. After I switched to manage Worlds, The relationship changed to neutral and I can chat up infinitely, without any change.
    It seems that this bug appears after you switched to "manage Worlds". I created 2 new Sims (Teen Girls), they could make friends without problems. After I switched to manage Worlds, The relationship changed to neutral and I can chat up infinitely, without any change.

I don't think I had switched to managed worlds the first time I tested the issue but I'll run another test with new files to see
    edited July 2015
    "It seems that this bug appears after you switched to "manage Worlds". I created 2 new Sims (Teen Girls), they could make friends without problems. After I switched to manage Worlds, The relationship changed to neutral and I can chat up infinitely, without any change."

I think I can verify this. I had indeed gone into manage worlds before the problem for me popped up again. But it may only corrupt already established relationships; I was able to make friends with a sim I had never met afterwards. Perhaps immediately after leaving manage worlds it re-saves all relationship info in case you deleted a sim or something?

To fully verify it, I saved the game right before making friends with a sim I had never met. Without going into manage worlds beforehand, I was able to become friends. But after reloading the game to the point just previous to making friends and going into manage worlds and THEN chatting to them right after, it stayed stuck at impartial. And I didn't even do anything in manage worlds; just hit the option to manage worlds, then went right back into the same game without even pulling up any other menus.

In my game though, I haven't had any relationships change to neutral as UnexpectedGuest posted; I just can't get any established relationships past impartial after going in to manage worlds.
    BTW, it doesn't seem to affect going from friend to good friend in an already established relationship; noticed that just happened without hitch. It just seems to lock every relationship I have at impartial permanently in that state after entering manage worlds.
  • SimGuruDrakeSimGuruDrake Posts: 1,648 SimGuru (retired)
    I have reported this to the QA team, will reach out to those affected if the team has any questions. :)
    Global Community Manager for Maxis / The Sims
    I have reported this to the QA team, will reach out to those affected if the team has any questions. :)

thank you!
    One more add on to this...as before, I let a relationship that had been unable to get to friendship decay until it disappeared from his list, and upon re-meeting them he WAS able to get it to friendship.
  • XaneritheXanerithe Posts: 275 Member
    Sorry for disappearing I had, work, but yeah I am still having this issue, tried doing 2 new saves, I reset my folder, etc nothing.