Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What would a preteen Sim be like anyway?

124...Next

Comments

• BreeSashaBreeSasha Posts: 637 Member
    I disagree that we have pre-teens in real life, I don't recognize that in-between point from childhood to teen years. I rather have a toddler than a pre-teen if I get another life stage.

• kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    BreeSasha wrote: »
    I disagree that we have pre-teens in real life, I don't recognize that in-between point from childhood to teen years. I rather have a toddler than a pre-teen if I get another life stage.
    Agreed. When I see a 12 year old, they are children to me. When I look at teenagers, they are teenagers to me. The whole "pre-teen" thing is just another word for slightly older child. I've never even heard of it until these forums.
  • DecafHighDecafHigh Posts: 669 Member
    A Pre-Teen stage seems kinda pointless doesn't it since we already have children? I'd rather they just made an actual Teen stage instead of a cheap copy/paste of the YA stage, which is just a cheap copy/paste of the Adult stage. Infant/Toddler/Child/Teen/Adult/Elder would work just fine if they were all unique and served their purpose.
  • Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    Goodywood wrote: »
    Here's an image I made a while back showing how different the pre-teens look between child and teen life stage. I used Sims Freeplay to help.

Agess_zps67dbc95d.png

wow

so they CAN make different life stages...they just couldn't be bothered for the Sims PC game

:*

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • RoyaiChaosRoyaiChaos Posts: 905 Member
    Zolt65 wrote: »
    Here's an image I made a while back showing how different the pre-teens look between child and teen life stage. I used Sims Freeplay to help.

Agess_zps67dbc95d.png

wow

so they CAN make different life stages...they just couldn't be bothered for the Sims PC game

Let us first compare the animations in Freeplay to the animations in The Sims 4.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Oh wow the Sims Freeplay has object babies too:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReTKnuxkQSQ

Seems like you can pick the gender in it.

But aww the toddlers:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cM6DdD14gI

And finally the preteens:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVc-FLXTrLs

It's sad the Freetime neighborhood view is actually in color. <3
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    I think a lot of people want pre-teens in game just to cover up a bit the lack of teen feeling.
    Since teens don't feel like teens per se sharing the same adult aspirations and heigh and so on, people want a new life stage that actually feels like a life stage.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,614 Member
    edited March 2015
    RoyaiChaos wrote: »
    Zolt65 wrote: »

Agess_zps67dbc95d.png

wow

Let us first compare the animations in Freeplay to the animations in The Sims 4.

I added in preschooler, and child through photo shop. Not sure how many life stages they have in SFP.

This is the original photo:

family-tree-650.jpg

You can see the girl at the bottom left is a toddler, but I made her a preschooler, and then I added 2 more kids (dad holding toddler and child in blue top) from a different photo, to show off how the added life stages would look.
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,614 Member
    After reading this thread, I actually did some research about Preteens and what makes them special. It actually gave me a bunch of ideas, and made me certain that there is enough there to make a unique, fun, and adorable life stage. I think TS4’s charm and quirkiness lends itself to the addition of preteens.

I think preteens could be a really great addition to the game. I personally think that it should be one of the shorter life stages (maybe shorter than the child stage by a few days).

The preteen age is when kids need to start using deodorant and learning more personal hygiene, so perhaps at this stage a Sims’s hygiene need would decay faster. It would be interesting to add pimples again, as this is the age when the traumatic “first zit” usually appears.

With growth spurts come clumsiness and a lack of coordination, so preteens should be naturally clumsy.

Many kids push away from their parents and want to spend most of their time with friends. I think it might be interesting if there was a way for
    preteens to form cliques as a form of semi-permanent group. When they’re with their clique they could receive powerful positive moodlets, and get upset if they’re away from them for too long. Maybe if you don’t hang out with your clique enough, they’ll kick your Sim out of it. Another common thing with preteens is that friendships are constantly forming and breaking apart.

Moodiness and roller-coaster emotions. Preteens should have strong reactions to almost everything. Say one tells a joke and it goes poorly; I think it would be funny to see our preteens either stomp away and be furious with themselves for being so awkward, or to run off to their room in tears.

They should bristle at any physical affection from their parents unless they have a trait that dictates otherwise.

I think this might be a good place to add in social groups again, though I’d like to see that handled better than TS3, with more depth, more options, and hopefully not so “contagious.” Geekiness was like an epidemic! I’d like social groups to be uniquely for preteens, but maybe influence the teen years in some way.

Certain romantic socials should be unlocked for this stage, but I think it would be fun for it to be more difficult to get a successful result. Preteen Sims could have crushes, and maybe pass notes through their social circles to see if their crush likes them back.

If possible, I think it might be a good idea to introduce the junior high school as an open and playable lot similar to what we’re getting with GTW. A lot of people have wanted open schools, but others really don’t (myself included) and I think this would be a nice compromise. Elementary and high school could stay “off the map,” but junior high (and eventually university) could be open and playable. I know nothing about coding a game, so this might be impossible, but I think it would be nice if it could be added.

I would really like for preteens to have their own sets of aspirations as well. The only one I thought of was:

Love crazy (I originally wanted to call it “Girl/Boy Crazy” but it’s too hetero-normative. I wish I could think of a snappier name) – These Sims are more likely to develop crushes, long for their first kiss, and maybe have unique socials like “write [crush’s name] all over notebook” or something. One of the big goals of this aspiration could be to find out your crush has a crush on you and ultimately have your first kiss with them.

I might have too much time on my hands...

This is good. So there will be junior high school added. Sounds good.
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • juncedajunceda Posts: 2,614 Member
    IMO teens in the sims 4 look like eighteen-nineteen teens both in their phisicall appearance and their personalities, it would be solved making real teens in their thirteens being that we allready have YA to cover the 18-30(35) years old times, nevertheless no matter how many life stages EA would throw in the game we will have a jump between them unless they implement some kind of gradual growth like the ones that mods like ConsortGrow and ConsortAge made for TS3 (I love both mods and seeing how my sims evolve through time), if an amateur programmer could do it why can´t EA implement such a good feature and the height silider?

I find very much annoying to have adults looking Young and shinny one day (mostly when they have such grown up teens sons and doughters who look the same age than their parents) and the next day they are all the way old and grey. I hope some modder creates a growing/aging mod for TS4
    firma_zps7hsuhx2i.png

I can play at last TS2 TS3 and TS4 So great that toddlers are here!!!
  • libra_stylelibra_style Posts: 1,229 Member
    I don't think we need pre-teens just the main ones baby bump (mom/dad preggers), baby, toddler, child, young adult and elder. We can probably force regular teen in there....maybe.
  • sydwilgirl23sydwilgirl23 Posts: 671 Member

Preteen is actually a name for an older child. We do have them.
  • ByondTime89ByondTime89 Posts: 1,505 Member
    There's an obvious difference between Children and Teens.

I personally don't see enough of a difference for Preteens to be that important. There's like barely a different between Child and Preteen and barely a difference between Preteen and Teen. I don't think that half step is as important unless they do something drastic with the Preteens that makes them stand out, whether it's new special interactions or what have you. Otherwise you feel like you already got over that stage of life and got nowhere when they finally aged. I like my Sims to have an obvious step forward as they age.

Not that I'm saying Young Adults are different than Adults, they're really not. Honestly, I guess my point/opinion is that preteens would just be another middle stage to prolong the life of your Sim, that's all it would be.
    Gallery & Origin ID: ByondTime89
  • AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member

Preteen is actually a name for an older child. We do have them.
    Do you necro threads on purpose? :D
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,404 Member
    I feel a preteen stage would be a waste, it would significantly cut the child and teen days to make this new age group but there wouldn't be much else for them to do. I rather expand on Teens so they can do more than just mess around and date, work part time jobs and excel in school.

This x100! If they just fixed the teen height & gave them stuff to do, then it would be up to the player to decide whether they play a sim having crushes or a sim actually dating. Not all teens are the same and I don't see the need to add a whole life stage to play my sims first crush.
  • simsilversimsilver Posts: 562 Member
    edited July 2015
    I used the teen height mod. Its almost perfect. Im wondering why developers failed to do that. Maybe it'll be interrupting the animations? No, it isnt at all.
  • PlyrKttyKtKrnchPlyrKttyKtKrnch Posts: 61 Member
    It would be better to have gradual aging instead of pre-teen. To me if you add pre-teen you might as well add like young-elder and old-elder who might forget things more and be more frail or something. I don't even really get the difference between young-adult and adult I mean I did in TS2 when they were in uni as a YA but now there's not much difference they both look the same and it's not like if you idk party heavily it affects a YA and adult different ways and I get the same wants for a sim at any adult stage. I think in TS3 though there was more difference in wants regarding children and career so maybe as the game expands the difference between YA and adult will become clearer to me.

But to me gradual aging would be so better than adding new life stages. You still have the same lifestages maybe but the younger or older in it a sim is they have different wants and interactions. So like you have just the teen stage but at the start wants are what pre-teens would have, and towards the end it's more about first kisses and learning to drive. For seniors younger ones want to retire and go on holidays, and older ones might lose energy more or forget things and kind of want to just settle down.

This also means it's not as restricting, your teen might not want to kiss someone until they're halfway through the stage but it doesn't mean that you can't make them have a kiss earlier, while a whole pre-teen stage sounds to me like it wouldn't have that option until they're a full teen. Also if more lifestages are added it means more parties and aging up and sometimes already that can get tedious especially in large families.
  • GirldramadiariescatGirldramadiariescat Posts: 8 New Member
    I honestly think it would be nice if the Sims 2 included stuff like pre-schoolers in between toddler and child, and also included Pre-teen, same with the Sims 4.
  • CoconutSweetheart007CoconutSweetheart007 Posts: 1 New Member
    I think pre-teen sims go to middle school, and are noticeably taller than child sims. They should be able to have an interaction with other sims to, "make crush." They COULD be able to have a first kiss, but once they age up, they'll probably forget about it. (I apologize because I'll be saying, "they," a lot.) Female sims could begin to develop breasts, male sims could have B.O and deeper voices, but they both develop acne, which adult sims could be able to order acne cream on their computer. The pre-teen sims can now develop music skills, and parents can humiliate them. Pre-teen sims should also be able to complain about teachers to their friends. And speaking of friends, all pre-teen sims develop friends quickly, and can be invited to sleepovers, where more sims their gender and age will be there too. Their homework time over all, should take an hour.
  • Kat_loves_simsKat_loves_sims Posts: 1 New Member
    Well I have put a ton of thought into it. It might be really hard to do but I think it's doable. First off I'd like to note that they have 1 trait during they're preteen years but it's the teen to elder traits, not like the toddler and child traits. Now to the girl functions.

Girls: small breast area, obviously they need to be a little more developed than the kids but not like the teens. I feel we should not be able to control whether or not the children get pimples or anything like it, its a complete random thing whether or not they get pimples, or anything of that sort. I think this cause in middle school everyone develops differently and at their own pace. It'll make the game feel more realistic. They could still do the normal kissing functions but obviously no woohoo or mess around. They can have boyfriends and girlfriends and such as well but the parents can't catch them with him or her.

Now the guys:

I feel just like with the pimples, you can't control how they're voice sounds. Whether it's squeaky, cracky or super deep. All of it develops randomly. This will also add curiosity to the player. They will never know what they'll get out of their preteen. besides that theyre pretty much the same as the girls in that sense.

Now onto general functions: Now when your a preteen your finding yourselves. Everyone is different and are questioning everything about themselves. I feel like they should go through different phases based on their personalities. You'd get a different experience with every sim. Now that parenthood is out they have phases already but these would be different. More realistic, longer lasting, and has an affect on who they are afterwards depending on what they do and what they're parents do about it. They'd have phases like: An Emo Phase, A socially awkward phase (when your in middle school some kids have self-esteem and identity problems, making it hard for them to be themselves without feeling judged), a loud phase, an ignorant phase (Basically they think they're adults that don't need they're parents.) A hopeless romantic phase (all they think about is boys and or girls), A sporty phase, A tomboy phase (Some girls question who they are sexuality and gender wise, just because your a tomboy doesn't mean you like other girls or you believe your a different gender, this is an optional phase unlike the others.) The tomgirl phase ( just like the tomboy phase but for guys). That's about it. You will have around two phases in your preteen experience along with an occasional mood swing. The reason I chose this type of function for it was because of the fact that during your preteen times you are changing the most you've changed since you were a baby so it's a very important time for your life. Like I said the phases you get will not be random. It'll be based of how your parent parents, your personality, and your house environment. For example, if your parents aren't supportive and your personality has a gloomy trait then you have a super high chance of getting a socially anxious or an emo trait. If you had a rambunctious scamp trait as a child you have a higher chance of getting a sporty phase. Now these arent the types of phases where you have them and then they disappear after a few days. This changes the course of who your kid becomes in the later years and what types of traits are available to them as they grow. If you give them the tomboy phase (which is basically them questioning who they are and is a completely optional phase unlike the rest) and your preteens parents do not agree your child could develop insecurity issues once they're an adult and are not allowed to have the outgoing trait. If they're parents are supportive they'll become confident individuals who trust and love who they are and are not allowed to have a shy trait. Same goes for the socially awkward phase, they both go hand in hand. That's pretty much what I want out of a preteen. Sorry for the rant but it's something I've put a LOT of thought into. You probably won't read it all but I thought for anyone who wanted to they could.
  • BuzzBuzzBuzzBuzz Posts: 303 Member
    Preteens are shorter than the current teen (adult-sized teens) but taller than children. I imagine them as a blend between child and teen. Their bodies/voices are gender-distinguishable (girls: small breasts, slightly noticeable curved shape. Boys: shrill, cracking, or deeeeeep.)
  • BuzzBuzzBuzzBuzz Posts: 303 Member
    BUMP!!
  • EA_LannaEA_Lanna Posts: 3,867 EA Community Manager
    Closing necro'd thread!
    • New Simmers, take a moment to read through this thread.
    • The Help Center is hosted on Answers HQ. Check out EA_Mage's thread on why.
    • Please post all Sims 4 Bug Reports, Technical and Gameplay issues in the AHQ Sims 4 Section.
    • Here is a quick link to The Sims forum rules
    oa2aib6yaucg.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top