Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS3 Won't Work (MBPro 15inch/Mid2015) - AMD Radeon R9 M370X

13...Next

Comments

• the11thmoonthe11thmoon Posts: 249 Member
    Well, I'll be! My computer is finally recognizing my graphics card.
    254vdwz.png
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    254vdwz.png

Yay!

And the FPS sounds about normal for TS3. Shame though as you have a great graphics card.

apple-signature.png
    edited June 2015
    254vdwz.png

Yay!

And the FPS sounds about normal for TS3. Shame though as you have a great graphics card.

It is a shame! It kinda tells me that TS3 is just a horrible game, technical wise.
    But I'll stick with it because TS4 is just BLAND to me.

That is horrid!!
    Do you think my game will have a better chance using Bootcamp?
    I have Windows 8.1 - I can install it.

That is horrid!!
    Do you think my game will have a better chance using Bootcamp?
    I have Windows 8.1 - I can install it.

Definitely, if the AMD is supported. The game will be running natively in Windows.
    apple-signature.png
    Guys...

I have to update you all.

I ended up using Bootcamp on my Mac to install Windows.
    And installed The Sims 3.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE. I haven't played The Sims 3 on a PC/Windows since 2009, right before I got my first Mac. I had forgotten how SMOOTH and BEAUTIFUL the game experience was...

I'm never playing The Sims 3 in OSX again.
    But I am happy that I was able to find out the workaround - which I used for WINDOWS as well, by the way.
  • NeloaNeloa Posts: 2 New Member
    > @the11thmoon said:
    > Guys...
    >
    > I have to update you all.
    >
    > I ended up using Bootcamp on my Mac to install Windows.
    > And installed The Sims 3.
    >
    > WHAT A DIFFERENCE. I haven't played The Sims 3 on a PC/Windows since 2009, right before I got my first Mac. I had forgotten how SMOOTH and BEAUTIFUL the game experience was...
    >
    > I'm never playing The Sims 3 in OSX again.
    > But I am happy that I was able to find out the workaround - which I used for WINDOWS as well, by the way.

Just curious, how did you get it to work?? I am running bootcamp windows 8.1 on a mbp 15 inch with amd radeon r9 m370x. The game starts but the graphics are horrible. Shadows are extremely blocky, trees and shrubs are horrible.. Just unplayable. I tried reinstalling but to no aveil.
    @Neloa the11thmoon's instructions are near the top of this page. They have taken a screenshot showing what they added to the GraphicsCards.sgr file.

If you read this thread in its entirety it will all make sense.
    apple-signature.png
  • jakezakcatjakezakcat Posts: 3 New Member
    TEST: The Sims 3

Specific Mac:
    iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
    Model Identifier: iMac17,1
    Number: MK462XX/A, MK472XX/A, MK482XX/A
    4.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, turboboost to 4.2GHz
    32GB 1867MHz DDR3 SDRAM - four 8GB
    1TB Flash Storage
    AMD Radeon R9 M395X, 4GB video memory

iMac from out of the box, nothing installed except The Sims 3 via Origin download (and XCODE app)

Expansion Packs tested: World of Adventures, Island Paradise, Late Night, Pets.
    Stuff Pack Tested: High-End Lot

Testing Period: February 1 2016 - February 9 2016

Tested Workarounds :
    -Changes to the GraphicCards.sgr & GraphicRules.sgr Files
    -Bypassing the launcher
    -Purge RAM
    -Clean uninstall and reinstall
    -Super patch
    -Adding Custom Content and Mods. Removing CC and Mods. Adding one by one to test for incompatibility, broken.
    -Playing in window mode
    -pause, purge RAM, save
    -Restar game often and playing only for short periods of time
    -Cleaning cache files
    -Restart your computer so OS X automatically get rid of all the junk
    -Verifying your Disk
    -Virtualization with Parallels & Windows 10
    -Virtualization with VirtualBox & Windows 8.1
    -Bootcamp & Windows 10

Conclusions:

Any of this workarounds claimed to be a finall solution for all the Mac problems players of The Sims 3 encounter, hence the "workaround" term used in all researched. This are not meant to improve game performance. Tested carefully, at least three times, one by one, for clearer results.

-Adding new graphic card to the Graphics.sgr Files cause failure to re-start the game 2 out of tree times it was tested. The third time the game started and still get the Unrecognized Graphic Card message. An uninstall and reinstall was needed after each of the test.
    -Bypassing Launcher to enable the game to start after the changes to Graphics.sgr Files didn't work, Launcher crash. Changing back TS3W.exe to its origin didn't work either. An uninstall and reinstall had to be made.
    This method only work if you purchase your game before Agust 2012. The pre-patched version of the base game (The Sims 3 Refresh, The Sims 3 Starter Pack or any of the Plus Version) have no known option to bypass the launcher
    -Reset RAM using Terminal (native application in your Mac, utilities folder) and XCODE (free app on the Mac Apps Store) with the code -sudo purge- seems to get rid of the lagging for about 3 seconds. The error code 12 never appeared using this method
    -Clean Uninstall and Reinstall and then patching your base game with Super Patch made no difference at all than patching when the installation prompted it. Actually this made absolutely nothing other than updating your game, which can be made either by manually installing the Super Patch right after reinstalling your base game, or when prompted
    -Cleaning Cache only make the start up process slower and did not get rid of the errors and game crashing
    -VirtualBox can't handle The Sims 3, game became unplayable
    -Parallales delivers a very low game performance for users of high end laptop/desktops as Mac's are know to be. Almost unplayable game
    -Bootcamp delivers a low game performance, lagging and crashing should still be expected

For playing the latest pc games on Mac, Bootcamp would be your best choice, but it will not deliver performance at its best, as it would if played from a Windows pc. Integrated graphics are fine for casual games, but to really bring out the beast on AAA titles, you'll want one or more discrete graphics cards.
    Today, dual-, triple-, and quad-graphics-card arrays from AMD and Nvidia reign supreme on the desktop. AMD's CrossFireX solution consists of multiple Radeon HD processors, while Nvidia's top draw is its two-,three-, or four-way SLI with up to four Nvidia GeForce GTX cards.
    Even tough Macs are high-end computers, they're not build to entertain, but create.

The hole propose of this test is to give updated information for Mac users thinking of trying any of the workarounds shared on the forums and blogs, since most of them are as late 2009.
    This test was made on an specific Mac model, this guides still may work on laptops models late 2015, but not in the iMac.
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    You didn't need to change the GraphicsCard.sgr as your graphics card was not one of the affected ones. Those are for Intel chips mainly. Did you try starting the game at all without changing the file? Just wondering. :)
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.