Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sarah Holding says that TS4 tech is more limiting than TS3 was.

1171819202123...Next

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Lets give another example of how this looks;

Fan: @Guru I love how cute Toddlers are in The Sims 3!
    Guru @Fan Thanks! We always have fun brainstorms developing Toddlers.

New Thread: SimGuru confirms Toddler brainstorms and development for Sims 4! '

Fan: @Guru I wish we had more colour options for hair in The Sims 4!
    Guru: @Fan We are definitely looking into more colour options!

New Thread: SimGuru confirms colour options for CAS and Build Mode.

Because reading her answer loses the context it was written in without ALSO acknowledging the question.

Actually what example you just gave reads more like what the player said went right over the guru's head and they were not even on the same page as the player rather than the other way around.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • ShaobunShaobun Posts: 1,155 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Lets give another example of how this looks;

New Thread: SimGuru confirms Toddler brainstorms and development for Sims 4! '

New Thread: SimGuru confirms colour options for CAS and Build Mode.

Because reading her answer loses the context it was written in without ALSO acknowledging the question.
    I don't this is a realistic interpretation of what's happening in this thread. More like:

New Thread: SimGuru says they've enjoyed brainstorming toddlers!

New Thread: SimGurus are looking into more colour options for The Sims 4!

Yes, it's a bit out of context and open to speculation. The toddlers example should really have mentioned they were discussing TS3, but people reading that are going to go "Past tense? What does that mean? Is this for TS4 or when?". It's not going to attract any more excitement than a guru saying "they're exploring toddlers"... which has been said, much to many people's disappointment.
    Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong. ~ Donald Porter
    @jackjack_k there's a difference between taking something out of context and inventing a new one.
    "guru says that TS4 tech is more limiting than TS3 was" - out of context
    "guru says that maxis tech is more limiting than what they had during TS3, TS5 is going to be limited!!!" - new context

Your example of "New Thread: SimGuru confirms Toddler brainstorms and development for Sims 4!" was inventing a new context (TS4 when the question asked about TS3).
    Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong. ~ Donald Porter
  • mizuru007mizuru007 Posts: 1,085 Member
    This is still going on. This is a conversation that is still going on.

Let some people interpret things however they want to. They are not you. They are not grabbing your brain and forcing you to think a certain way. Do you think that Rachel just meant the engine limits the ability to create lounge chairs and beards for now? Okay, go on and think that. Do you think that Rachel meant the game's engine is so limited that these things may never come or may take forever to come and the engine was a horrible choice for the game? Go on and think THAT.

I will never understand the insistence on trying to change peoples' minds. Everyone has different opinions and interpretations of things, so let it BE! Me personally? I don't understand how EA/Maxis can say that these things are "too hard" or "too expensive", but modders have managed to put in lounge chairs (FUNCTIONAL ONES), beards, semi-functional cars, lockable doors, and multiple other things well before the actual game team did. I don't understand why EA and Maxis are playing the "pass the blame" game between each other regarding things like who had control over the game's release. I believe that things can't get better unless there's a shifting of staff for both Maxis AND EA or someone realizes money isn't being made and butt is hauled.

That is what I think. That is what I believe. Might my opinion change with time? Entirely possible! But until then, I have a right to maintain my thoughts and beliefs, but I recognize it's not okay to try and force others to share the same thoughts as me.

I'M JUST SAYING, this has been going on for a while now and it's kinda...sad? Sad...? Sad.
    mizuru007 wrote: »
    I will never understand the insistence on trying to change peoples' minds. Everyone has different opinions and interpretations of things, so let it BE!...
    Maybe it's less about trying to change someone's mind and more about wanting to express what we as individuals think?
    ...Me personally? I don't understand how EA/Maxis...
    And my point was just proven...
    There is a HUGE difference between "expressing what you think" and "trying for...more than 20 pages to change everyone's mind while fighting anyone whose opinion differs from yours".
  • celipoesiascelipoesias Posts: 433 Member
    Unfortunately there will always be people who will try to impose his opinion of an absolute truth,

For me, Sarah Holding was very precise when she spoke of "limitation", otherwise, would have said another word.
    tenor.gif
    edited July 2015
    Right.... because there's nothing hypocritical about what you're saying. Nothing I've said has been me trying to change peoples minds or fighting other opinions apart from the offensive one you've expressed. Which is basically you telling other people that it's ok for you to say what you think but not ok for other people. And obviously other things have been discussed in those 20 pages. Personally I think that the fact you can't see how hypocritical you're being is just
    kinda...sad? Sad...? Sad.
    Just because I'm saying I disagree with someone does not mean I expect them to (or care if they) change their mind.
  • ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    edited July 2015
    Shaobun wrote: »
    Right.... because there's nothing hypocritical about what you're saying. Nothing I've said has been me trying to change peoples minds or fighting other opinions apart from the offensive one you've expressed. Which is basically you telling other people that it's ok for you to say what you think but not ok for other people. And obviously other things have been discussed in those 20 pages. Personally I think that the fact you can't see how hypocritical you're being is just
    kinda...sad? Sad...? Sad.
    Just because I'm saying I disagree with someone does not mean I expect them to (or care if they) change their mind.

This is what drives me nuts about these forums. No matter what your opinion somebody will start a thread, which will degrade into:

Person A: I don't like this. EA needs to change it now! If they don't change it this game is going down in flames.

Person B: I like it. I don't think it needs changing.

Person A: Well, this is my opinion. If you don't like it, don't come into my thread. You could tell by the title that it was a complaint.

<10 page fight about whatever feature and how TS3 did it better anyway and how everyone else is wrong>

Person A's allowed an opinion. If you agree with Person A, all good. If you're Person B, you're not allowed an opinion and shouldn't be in the thread anyway. Really?

Everyone has an opinion. They should be allowed to express that opinion, so long as it's not insulting others.

(generalised and not aimed at anybody. If it makes people feel better change person A's thoughts to 'I like such and such' and being told by Person B that they're wrong)
    edited July 2015
    Arletta wrote: »
    Everyone has an opinion. They should be allowed to express that opinion, so long as it's not insulting others.
    I totally agree. What I don't like is someone coming in and saying "I can't believe you guys are still discussing it! That's sad. Here's what I think about that exact same topic". Anyway I've said what I wanted to say, pointed out the hypocrisy, and I'm done discussing that. She can understand, if she doesn't at least I tried.

Edit: quoted the wrong sentence... really looked bad.
  • TerrylinTerrylin Posts: 4,846 Member
    edited July 2015
    If you read through the Guru's posts of the first 10 pages of this thread (maybe a little more) SimGuruMax explains what can and can't, will and wont, be seen/back in TS4; http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/782859/simulation-tech-talk/p1

He explains most everything from crib babies to open worlds. SGMax helps to explain the limits of this game engine. The whole thread is pretty informative and answers a lot of questions. :)

Just posting this for those who might be interested in reading an engineers posts about animation and what will, wont work and why. :)
    Post edited by Terrylin on
    Thanks @Terrylin
    Shaobun wrote: »
    Arletta wrote: »
    I totally agree. What I don't like is someone coming in and saying "I can't believe you guys are still discussing it! That's sad. Here's what I think about that exact same topic". Anyway I've said what I wanted to say, pointed out the hypocrisy, and I'm done discussing that. She can understand, if she doesn't at least I tried.

Edit: quoted the wrong sentence... really looked bad.
    It's not me caring about people discussing the actual topic of the thread, it's me wondering why people are shouting about things unrelated (the look of tTS3 vs TS4, how both run, etc.) for pages and pages and SOME people seeming to try and change the minds of others. Again, I have no issue with people expressing their opinions on what was said, but I have an issue with people dragging things out because they are trying to change the minds of others when it's perfectly acceptable to have a different opinion from someone else.

I don't care if it's discussed as long as people don't stop in and try to make their opinion the "one and only opinion that's right".

There, is that clear enough for you? You okay with that? Need me to clarify more? I sure can try! :)
  • JenzupJenzup Posts: 1,620 Member
    aws200 wrote: »
    I'd like it back with the limits that TS3 put into place. Slapping is okay, but limit it to the age range. That way, you don't have adult Sims slapping their teenage children like in TS2. :,)

Gee, someone must prefer to hand them the bible and send them off to Sunday school. lol
    I'd like more punishing features, kids misbehave we need punishments. Today's standards are so pathetic we have more troublemakers because of it. We're too lenient with kids today. They grow up into spoiled babies who can't do anything right. So The Sims 4 needs spanking, shouting, grounding, and more. If there's one thing older generations know, toughing up your kid through these punishments made a better person.

Ironic I just finished playing some on TS3 and I didn't like the way they did the punishment in that game well I guess it did make sense but I dunno it was a little irritating. Well and I've said this before but I thought it was dumb that the parents wouldn't allow their grounded teen to go to school, it's like what? If you did that in TS2 (stopped kiddos from going to school) they'd get taken away, or did they take teens away I'm beginning to forget now. Anyways it doesn't make sense it should have been the parent drops off the kid and picks the kid up to make sure they don't go around getting in trouble (which is kind of fun to play BTW teen getting in trouble I mean).

That's the other thing I wished there would have been punishments for the kids, like getting privileges revoked (or if they even had this, allowances that could be taken away well and for that matter when I had my kids perform some of the tasks (like the scavenger hunts) they earned money but that is never acknowledged as it gets added to the household funds) Also why couldn't there be a tease or pick on option for siblings? Like a pick on button and then a menu with several options pull hair, punch, kick you know kid fight things. Or why couldn't they have a horse play action that could descend into kid fighting options that the parent would need to reprimand for. Or a rough house option while the parent talks on the phone (or does any other task) and then they bump into parent and tick the parent off.

:o They listened and gave us toddlers! Thanks Devs your work is appreciated.
  • simmerchick659simmerchick659 Posts: 4 New Member
    hi! im a new member(: this site is pretty cool
  • LukeLuke Posts: 642 Member

I really appreciate the fact that you revived this topic.

Thanks.
    Origin ID: Derpiez
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    Luke wrote: »

I really appreciate the fact that you revived this topic.

Thanks.

Until they close it?
    Lost count the amount of threads getting closed that could of been left open...
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member

Welcome to the the forums :)

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• EA_MageEA_Mage Posts: 1,354 EA Staff (retired)
    @marcel21 We have explained this before - if a thread has not had any traffic for years then it died for a reason. Necroing is a bad practice and it highly likely a more current thread on a similar topic is already out there.

With that said - I am closing this one! 3 years is more than enough time for opinions and feedback to change.

Thanks,
    -Mage
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top