Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I Wouldn't Mind the Return of Open World

ScripticJusticeScripticJustice Posts: 405 Member
edited July 2015 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
*note: I do NOT believe Open World will return to TS4, I am referring to future iterations of the game.*
If I can also feel the time I put into it is what I'm getting out of it. One thing that irks me while playing TS3 is that, while I love the ability to freely travel around the gorgeous world, I don't feel like my sim -or I- have time to enjoy it. I have to get my sim up several hours early, so they can leave a couple hours early for work which they get home from an hour after the scheduled time.

At that point, I've already fastforwarded through at least one third or half of the day, so then I fastforward again through taking care of my Sims needs and at that point I send them off to go do something on the town.

Traveling takes about an hour, which I yet again fast forward through, and upon arrival which I have spent all day working up to, the venue I have sent my sim to is pretty much empty, and after awhile of waiting for about 3 sims to show up, my sim is hungry again and/or tired.

Open World has its advantages and I love The Sims 3, but if we ever see it again I really would like fairly populated venues -without mods- at least somewhat equal to the time and effort it took my sim to get to the venue in the first place.
(Sorry if this is all over the place, I wasnt sure how to word it, exactly, and typing on mobile isnt helping)

tumblr_m4jumxorJY1qktlzuo1_500.gif
Post edited by ScripticJustice on

Comments

• jessathemessajessathemessa Posts: 2,342 Member
    While I don't think open worlds will be returning in Sims 4, I do agree with some of your points. The traveling could take an awfully long time. And nothing upset me more than when my sim decided to jump out of a cab and RUN across town to their destination. The open world certainly had its issues.
  • ScripticJusticeScripticJustice Posts: 405 Member
    While I don't think open worlds will be returning in Sims 4, I do agree with some of your points. The traveling could take an awfully long time. And nothing upset me more than when my sim decided to jump out of a cab and RUN across town to their destination. The open world certainly had its issues.

Oh yes, I doubt we'll see it return in TS4, I guess I'm just speaking in general terms if we ever see it again in future iterationd, if there are any.

Ah yes, the running. My fave.
  • blue1265blue1265 Posts: 7 New Member
    Count me as an 'open world' fan as well. Having to click on my sims' store and travel to it when it's just next door is a bit bothersome. I was hoping that at least the neighborhood would be 'open'. Nope. Almost makes owning a retain establishment not worth it. :(
    blue1265 wrote: »
    Count me as an 'open world' fan as well. Having to click on my sims' store and travel to it when it's just next door is a bit bothersome. I was hoping that at least the neighborhood would be 'open'. Nope. Almost makes owning a retain establishment not worth it. :(

I am a fan of both Open World and the Neighborhood Style, both have their advantages and disadvantages to me. With Open World, theres no loading screens but as I addressed in my post the time I spend traveling doesnt feel worth it. With TS4 style I have to sit through loading screens, but time freezes until the game loads (correct me if im wrong I cant remember?) And once Im there other Sims are too.
    No one style is perfect to me, but no one style is terrible either. I enjoy both for different reasons.

• shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,086 Member
    I would be a fan of open neighborhoods. You know the little blocks of four or five houses being open to eachother. That wouldn't be the full stress of a complete open map but it would still give you more freedom than we have now. I would really like for my sim just to be able to walk over to their neighbors house and visit instead an an insta loading screen. I think this would be far more doable on the current engine then a full open world out-and it would still work with backdrops and the such.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I don't think Open Worlds will come.. maybe opening up of smaller areas, but I agree with the points the OP made on travel time in S3.
    That was part of the reason I never got into it. I was in the red just walking or running around too soon. Granted I didn't play for long and never tried to figure it out how to properly do it because other aspects of the game I just didn't like.
    I personally hope they don't open it up too much as I'll probably not like the game then, but I don't think it will ever be an open world. Possibly an open neighborhood though..
    egTcBMc.png
  • FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    I am not really looking for an open world in my opinion as my fear is that it would make my game laggy and the neighbourhood would look like a ghost town as sims can be in different places which I didnt like in sims 3. But it would be nice to have an open world, I wouldnt mind an open world like the sims 3 consoles where 4 or 5 lots in one area. I have a strong feeling it wouldnt return in sims 4 as that would be impossible to do and may make other players lag with their low end computers.
    edited July 2015
    shellbeme wrote: »
    I would be a fan of open neighborhoods. You know the little blocks of four or five houses being open to eachother. That wouldn't be the full stress of a complete open map but it would still give you more freedom than we have now. I would really like for my sim just to be able to walk over to their neighbors house and visit instead an an insta loading screen. I think this would be far more doable on the current engine then a full open world out-and it would still work with backdrops and the such.

I would be a fan of all of this :smile:
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    I don't think Open Worlds will come.. maybe opening up of smaller areas, but I agree with the points the OP made on travel time in S3.
    That was part of the reason I never got into it. I was in the red just walking or running around too soon. Granted I didn't play for long and never tried to figure it out how to properly do it because other aspects of the game I just didn't like.
    I personally hope they don't open it up too much as I'll probably not like the game then, but I don't think it will ever be an open world. Possibly an open neighborhood though..

I dont think Open World will return in TS4, but if they were to in future iterations was my intended reference point, ill clear that up in OP
    Yes exactly, Im almost always in the red after traveling
    I would like an open neighborhood as well, as shellbeme said the ability to visit neighbors without loading screens would be fantastic and a happy medium for me!

Finbar659 wrote: »
    I am not really looking for an open world in my opinion as my fear is that it would make my game laggy and the neighbourhood would look like a ghost town as sims can be in different places which I didnt like in sims 3. But it would be nice to have an open world, I wouldnt mind an open world like the sims 3 consoles where 4 or 5 lots in one area. I have a strong feeling it wouldnt return in sims 4 as that would be impossible to do and may make other players lag with their low end computers.

I would prefer open neighborhoods as others suggested, and I dont think Open World will return in four, however, I do like the console lot idea in order to incorporate open neighborhoods
  • rodneyclintrodneyclint Posts: 496 Member
    I would not like to see the return of lag, teleporting into your vehicle and having major car accidents every time you got on the road. Not to mention taking turns at extremely dangerous speeds.
  • Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member
    I think I would prefer this game to go more sims 2 -esque rather than open world and rabbitholes. I hated sims 3 rabbitholes. It didn't feel like I was playing my sim.

The load-screens are fine if we have open interactive lots. I want sims 2 style restaurants back.
  • InvaderchickycatInvaderchickycat Posts: 809 Member
    Another vote for Open World if there's a Sims 5 I detest Loading screens. Whose bright idea was it to put a loading screen in front of your neighbors house? It makes no sense.
  • DarklingDarkling Posts: 6,327 Member
    I hate loading screens so I would love to see the Open World return in a future Sims game.

I can totally understand the feeling that travelling in an Open World resulted in a lot of wasted time, but for me I felt that everything wasted a lot of time in TS3 and there were just never enough hours in the day in general. A day would speed by in the blink of an eye whether my sims were eating, showering, skilling or travelling. *Poof!* Gone! :o

I think tweaking the speed at which time passes in future games (a'la Relativity Mod) would definitely make travelling through an Open World more worthwhile.
    14785081519_9e388018bc_o.jpg
  • TeresitaTeresita Posts: 630 Member
    Open World is the biggest improvement made for a Sims sequel. New things were discovered such as player-to-environment (PVE lol) interactions.

But knowing that the foundation is already set and done for the 4th sequel. There isn't a single spark of hope that it would ever come back. Though, to catch up with the new generation of video games, Open World is likely to come back for later sequels.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Teresita wrote: »
    Open World is likely to come back for later sequels.

I wonder if it'd actually be done right if it comes back.

It seems now, with each Sims game, we are getting things done sub-par, and then expecting the next game to finally fix things, only to have it break things to a worse extent. It'd be nice to finally have a Sims game where we aren't asking for a new foundation less than a YEAR after it's released -- the engine should show near no limits as far as features go, otherwise, what is the sense in buying the same thing over and over?
  • TeresitaTeresita Posts: 630 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

It seems now, with each Sims game, we are getting things done sub-par, and then expecting the next game to finally fix things, only to have it break things to a worse extent. It'd be nice to finally have a Sims game where we aren't asking for a new foundation less than a YEAR after it's released -- the engine should show near no limits as far as features go, otherwise, what is the sense in buying the same thing over and over?
    It should be. Look at the latest games. I've read an article somewhere that the Witcher 3 has perfectly mastered an Open World game and I'm very interested in trying it out and see for myself how better it is than the others.
    The other one being the new Fallout 4 game which introduces house building in a person shooter game. So I have a little bit of faith.

EAMaxis just needs to smarten up and actually learn the new technology being used today without thinking of going back to mobile gaming. Only they can do it for us now unless they keep messing up again and there will never be a better Sims game for the future generations.
  • meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    *note: I do NOT believe Open World will return to TS4, I am referring to future iterations of the game.*
    If I can also feel the time I put into it is what I'm getting out of it. One thing that irks me while playing TS3 is that, while I love the ability to freely travel around the gorgeous world, I don't feel like my sim -or I- have time to enjoy it. I have to get my sim up several hours early, so they can leave a couple hours early for work which they get home from an hour after the scheduled time.

At that point, I've already fastforwarded through at least one third or half of the day, so then I fastforward again through taking care of my Sims needs and at that point I send them off to go do something on the town.

Traveling takes about an hour, which I yet again fast forward through, and upon arrival which I have spent all day working up to, the venue I have sent my sim to is pretty much empty, and after awhile of waiting for about 3 sims to show up, my sim is hungry again and/or tired.

Open World has its advantages and I love The Sims 3, but if we ever see it again I really would like fairly populated venues -without mods- at least somewhat equal to the time and effort it took my sim to get to the venue in the first place.
    (Sorry if this is all over the place, I wasnt sure how to word it, exactly, and typing on mobile isnt helping)
    I believe Open world will return. It'll just not be like Sims 3 though. They'll probably make future districts a lot bigger or open up some of the previous districts a bit more. It's just gonna be at the very end. Probably the last/second to last EP.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

It should be. Look at the latest games. I've read an article somewhere that the Witcher 3 has perfectly mastered an Open World game and I'm very interested in trying it out and see for myself how better it is than the others.
    The other one being the new Fallout 4 game which introduces house building in a person shooter game. So I have a little bit of faith.

EAMaxis just needs to smarten up and actually learn the new technology being used today without thinking of going back to mobile gaming. Only they can do it for us now unless they keep messing up again and there will never be a better Sims game for the future generations.

Yeah, I definitely think a fully functional open world with great gameplay is possible now, without a question about it. The problem, that I'm sure most of us realize, is EA isn't pro-gamer, they're pro-business, and it's unlikely to change at this point.

Many people will try to go "oh, they're a company, they're out to get our money!". Well, so are Colossal Order, Bethesda, Nintendo, Blizzard, etc. The list goes on of companies who, just by watching their presentations (especially at E3 2015), really seem to genuinely have a passion for what they're putting out. And, while doing so, they rake in cash AND great support and following from their fans.
  • BookworkgirlBookworkgirl Posts: 129 Member
    I see a huge a big problem with the future of the sims.

I hope this post won't get close as I like the developer to understand the problem.

1. I look at other successful game especially MMO and the crowd their draw in and the money they received and that can only happen if development is totally up to the developer. And that the publisher do not have any say of what can and can't be in the game also the developer need to be on these boards to talk to us. So I am not sure if they are to do this and if they will then it shows they really are thinking about the community.

I am very sure of this because I can give you proof it works because it been working with game developer who have gone to crowdfunding and built up a massive organization because of it. This does not mean that it works all the time only if you know what your doing, have the exp and the fan to back you. Because its all about the fans and if the fan are happy the money will keep coming in and then you can become a triple AAA studio very quickly with all the support and massive excitement of the game.

2. The future of our ideas
    We can give as many ideas as possible but I don't think we will ever see the sim that we are longing for? Because community has been giving ideas since Sim 1,2, 3 and sim 4 has turned to be just a new game that has no links with the old series.

We all could post fantastic ideas of how to make it work but at the end of the day does EA want it to happen? Are they making it the way they want it? Release new series each time and bring out expansions that are not really improvements? So instead of the old career bring in other exciting careers? Which is not really exciting at all? Its like bringing in more monsters for fantasy game but they really are the same when playing it just different skins.

Are they really listening to us and what we like to see in the sims?
    They may bring open world but it does not mean it will ever be the sim we are wanting to see and play for so many years. If it has not gone the way we want it probably will never be. Even if Sim 3 was redone with better graphics it might give some popularity to it but will the new sim series just about new things and old features just left behind?

Are the developer passionate about the sims?
    Do they want what the fan wants too? Or is it a set type of plan of how things they see should be for the sims? Again do they want the sim series to be how it is? A new base game with just new things but doesn't really expand on anything?

What happen if only we gave very little ideas?
    Will it change the way the sims will be? I asked this cause i got ideas too but i feel it won't be taken into consideration because there been so many other ideas and it has not been put into the game.

So I got lot of sadness on this and that the sim we are looking can never happen and I do hope the developer understand this & willing to do drastic thing to change this.

Developer needs to talk to us?
    It helps if they talk to us on these forums and perhaps let us if certain ideas can happen or not? In other developer forum you really do see the developer interacting with their fans. And when it gets really big they have others to step in an answers these questions but I don't see this on the forum. There is updates and news but it still no one where near what other developer are doing with their community.

And its why I feel very sad after getting excited about the sims and if this get closer makes me sadder. Because this post is not a hate speech but some insight of why things are they way they are.

Fan who disagree
    I read that fan are happy with sim 4 and can see why there is change but still does not address the more serious issue and I hope perhaps what i said has helped a little of why thing are they way they are.

Perhaps this is how the publisher of the sim want it to be and nothing more? Just new base every time and new expansion which has nothing to do about giving more to the sim world.

So the question still goes out if the developer and publisher are passionate and have the same visions that we want in a sim? Or have what we seen is what they want for the series? Do our ideas make a difference will they interact with us to find out why we want it?

I thank EA for bringing out sim 3 because its fun and also thank the modders who made it better! If the modders could expand the size they would have done it by now. So i wonder why they are not being notice because if they have then those feature would be in the game by now.
  • hypershadic247hypershadic247 Posts: 2 New Member
    I have been wonder if it would be possible to for them to make a option in the settings, since I believe the biggest reason they changed it was load time. The thing I was thinking about is if they have it so you can choose in the settings if you want to load only the current lot, only the current block or the whole neighborhood. I'm not much of a programmer so I do not know if it's possible but if it is wouldn't that be the best way to please most people.
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    One of the biggest mistakes was the fact that they tossed open world away, and shoved us back into a fish bowl with loading screens. I really hope that they've learned from their many mistakes and we will see a return of open world, CASt, and many, many other features in Sims 5.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,751 Member
    One of the biggest mistakes was the fact that they tossed open world away, and shoved us back into a fish bowl with loading screens. I really hope that they've learned from their many mistakes and we will see a return of open world, CASt, and many, many other features in Sims 5.

Sims 1? Sims 2? a TRUE sims game had loading screens. You guys didn't consider the people who have OLDER computers.. which means they wouldn't be able to play the game
    6adMCGP.gif
  • AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    I was always fine with the Sims 3 being open world and the Sims 4 not being open world. Whatever they do with that in the Sims 5, I'll be fine with.
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    edited May 2017
    MadameLee wrote: »

Sims 1? Sims 2? a TRUE sims game had loading screens. You guys didn't consider the people who have OLDER computers.. which means they wouldn't be able to play the game

Umm, no, Sims 1 and Sims 2 didn't have an open world due to technology. Now that the tech is there open world should - and in many cases - needs to be part of the game. If you have a pc that is at least from 2008, you can run an open world game. My old pc ran Sims 3 fine up until the hard drive blew out in 2013. And then I ended up getting a new pc. The one I have now is from 2014, and I used upgraded the memory, power supply, and video card.

How about just slowly upgrading key pieces in your unit, then you'd be able to play the current games. Just because someone has an older build doesn't mean everyone else has to suffer. The Sims need to continue to utilize the technology that us coming out. Not shy away from it because a small minority don't have the "meat and potatoes" to play a game.

And besides, when Sims 2 first came out. I couldn't play it. My pc - which my hubby built me - played The Sims like a dream. But it just couldn't handle Sims 2. My computer actually died while I was trying to run the game lmbo So it wasn't until 2005, with my new pc, that I could actually play the game.

Then in 2008 I got my first mid level gamers pc, and in 2009 Sims 3 came out. Like I said, after upgrading my graphics card, it ran the game until the late summer of 2013.

And I hope I didn't come off sounding rude in anyway. That wasn't my intention. I know you can't understand someone tone of voice when typing. So if I did sound rude, please excuse that.
    Post edited by GoldenBuffy on
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member

Umm, no, Sims 1 and Sims 2 didn't have an open world due to technology. Now that the tech is there open world should - and in many cases - needs to be part of the game. If you have a pc that is at least from 2008, you can run an open world game. My old pc ran Sims 3 fine up until the hard drive blew out in 2013. And then I ended up getting a new pc. The one I have now is from 2014, and I used upgraded the memory, power supply, and video card.

How about just slowly upgrading key pieces in your unit, then you'd be able to play the current games. Just because someone has an older build doesn't mean everyone else has to suffer. The Sims need to continue to utilize the technology that us coming out. Not shy away from it because a small minority don't have the "meat and potatoes" to play a game.

And besides, when Sims 2 first came out. I couldn't play it. My pc - which my hubby built me - played The Sims like a dream. But it just couldn't handle Sims 2. My computer actually died while I was trying to run the game lmbo So it wasn't until 2005, with my new pc, that I could actually play the game.

Then in 2008 I got my first mid level gamers pc, and in 2009 Sims 3 came out. Like I said, after upgrading my graphics card, it ran the game until the late summer of 2013.

And I hope I didn't come off sounding rude in anyway. That wasn't my intention. I know you can't understand someone tone of voice when typing. So if I did sound rude, please excuse that.

This. We shouldn't have to be held back because some people don't have better PC's. Tech is advancing therefore games should continue to advance as well.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited May 2017

Correction: old games had loading screens. All versions are true. And no, I don't think we have to consider people who are having no problem whatsoever paying almost $ 400 for a game now (far from complete yet) but start yelling when you dare to suggest they buy a proper computer. Literally read this comment: "Well hahhah, I'm certain I spent much more money at the McDonald's." (defending what this game costs them) So, stop going to McDonald's so much if you care and save that money for good equipment. I seriously find it hard to accept this argument ever since my own son started saving money as if it was the most normal thing in the world to buy a proper computer to be able to play Planet Coaster.
    5JZ57S6.png