Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Could teens be an afterthought?

agent_bevagent_bev Posts: 1,313 Member
This would explain why they are the same height, wear the same clothes, and behave the same as YA/ Adult sims:
http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?p=4803478&posted=1#post4803478

Edit: oops, posted on the wrong board.
Post edited by agent_bev on

Comments

• Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    edited July 2015
    Sounds plausible.
    It looks like it, a fast and rushed way to add them on last minute would be the reason why they plum.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    I definitely think they were.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    plopppoplopppo Posts: 5,031 Member
    Could teens be an afterthought?
    Yes X the highest number you can think of +1.
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    IIRC, when TS4 was still Sims Olympus, there was only one age group featured (guess which).

One of the gurus also said that teens are the same height as adults so that they could recycle animations from the adult stage, thus saving them time that would've been spent redoing the animations for shorter teens, which would've meant extra work that doesn't add anything new to the game.

So yeah, I also believe teens were an afterthought. The children were surprisingly well-done, though.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    CapraCorn104CapraCorn104 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Yeah, but the children were amazing, so they must've been done earlier in development. I actually prefer the children to any other child life stage in the series, now if we had TS2 toddlers I would be in heaven.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Yes every life stage other than YA was an after thought. However, I will say they did a good job on kids. Teens are pretty much YA with a slimmer skeleton and some interactions unavailable.
  • Options
    XopaxPaxXopaxPax Posts: 1,769 Member
    edited July 2015
    Hm, maybe they decided to add half baked teens after all the discussion when they said toddlers were not going to be added to the game? Idk, i just wish that now that they have more time they can change teens.

Btw, the first time they showed a teen in the game was in a July 30 2014 trailer, they announced that toddlers would be removed in July 8.
    tenor.gif
  • Options
    PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    Yeah, but the children were amazing, so they must've been done earlier in development. I actually prefer the children to any other child life stage in the series, now if we had TS2 toddlers I would be in heaven.

I really agree there. I HATE playing families, and never did it unless it was for an achievement. And then I ditched the kids as soon as possible. I found toddlers tedious and children downright boring.

When I got TS4 I had one child, mostly wondering if Mom's green skin would pass on to the child (it did!). I immediately aged up the baby, and started to play the child. And I was surprized to find I really liked him! It was the first time I ever cared about a child in a Sims game. He felt like a real person, and I was actually interested in keeping him happy. They did well with children, I think.
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member

I agree. They managed to do an awesome job on the children. In a way, the fact that the children are so good in TS4 only magnifies the issues with the teens.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    GabbyGirlJ wrote: »

I agree. They managed to do an awesome job on the children. In a way, the fact that the children are so good in TS4 only magnifies the issues with the teens.

This. And it's the only reason I found myself missing toddlers, a life stage I mostly avoided in Sims 3 and only sometimes played much of in Sims 2. I hope they get a chance to work on something like a GP or EP full of Teen Life things – school, jobs, hangouts, crushes and disappointments, acne and whatever else is really about that time of life – and use that time to patch in some further changes for our teens that make them more special, even if that can't include height change.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    Lex2221Lex2221 Posts: 972 Member

This. And it's the only reason I found myself missing toddlers, a life stage I mostly avoided in Sims 3 and only sometimes played much of in Sims 2. I hope they get a chance to work on something like a GP or EP full of Teen Life things – school, jobs, hangouts, crushes and disappointments, acne and whatever else is really about that time of life – and use that time to patch in some further changes for our teens that make them more special, even if that can't include height change.

I would LOVE all of what you just mentioned!! If only the devs thought like you.
    2ahzmo1.gif
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member

Ooh, I remember suggesting malt shops (like Archie comics) and skateboards in a thread a few months back. Skateboards for teens would be a new and awesome feature. :D
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    MightydanMightydan Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited July 2015
    Teen has always been my favourite life stage in the Sims games. Honestly I find it quite disappointing that they feel the same as young adults in ts4. I would definitively be exited about a teen-oriented EP or even GP. Changing the height later on would be nice too.
    Post edited by Mightydan on
  • Options
    JackPipsamJackPipsam Posts: 115 Member
    Most likely, although that said I much rather that they be a downgraded adult than being too different and having like no options.
  • Options
    KennydkKennydk Posts: 31 Member
    More than likely.

Unfortunately I find the over emphasised YA life stage and lack of detail (or lack there of in the case of toddlers) in other stages a game breaker for myself personally. Just the fact that teens, adults and elders are all the same size really narks me. I know in RL that some times it can be the case that a teen is the same height and an adult, or an OAP could be the same height as a teen however this is not real life, this is a game. In real life people come in all different heights and as that could be difficult animation wise to project into the game I feel there should be more heigh distinction for the various life stages.

I'd prefer teens in the game to reflect the ages 14 - 16/17 as I am of the opinion YA's are aged 18 -25. The current teens in the game look to be around 18 - 20 IMO therefore for myself, they are essentially pointless. I'd like to see more things in the game for teens such as suggested above to give them a little more definition and purpose.
  • Options
    emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    Kennydk wrote: »
    More than likely.

Unfortunately I find the over emphasised YA life stage and lack of detail (or lack there of in the case of toddlers) in other stages a game breaker for myself personally. Just the fact that teens, adults and elders are all the same size really narks me. I know in RL that some times it can be the case that a teen is the same height and an adult, or an OAP could be the same height as a teen however this is not real life, this is a game. In real life people come in all different heights and as that could be difficult animation wise to project into the game I feel there should be more heigh distinction for the various life stages.

I'd prefer teens in the game to reflect the ages 14 - 16/17 as I am of the opinion YA's are aged 18 -25. The current teens in the game look to be around 18 - 20 IMO therefore for myself, they are essentially pointless. I'd like to see more things in the game for teens such as suggested above to give them a little more definition and purpose.
    Nothing to say except wht teen and YA life stages length actually are, also for other life stages too:
    Baby: 0-1
    Toddler: 1-5
    Kid: 5-10
    Tween: 10-13
    Teen: 13-20
    YA: 20-35
    Adult: 35-54
    Old person: (or as the game calls 'elder') 54-80
    Natural death: 80
    The first age in each life stage is when it starts and the second is where the next one starts, ending tht one.
    The YAs are done perfectly, so are adults, elders, babies and kids.
    As a teen myself I find the teens slightly offensive in game. Yes I prefer them to teens in previous games but I don't like the fact they are exactly the same as YA/adult/elder. They are unique, teens are very different to adults in rl. They need to represent 13-17 (the most defined teen stage) not 16-20 like they currently do as currently they have no uniqueness, even for tht age they shouldn't be a photocopied adult life stage. I just ignore them and enjoy playing YAs anyways although I would have teens in my game, if they seemed like true teens :cry:
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!
  • Options
    mushplomplommushplomplom Posts: 760 Member
    I dont even know
    I bought a GTX 1070 to play Sims 4.

• Options
    shellbemeshellbeme Posts: 2,086 Member
    I don't think they were an after thought but I do think they were completed on a time crunch. I don't think children were that well done either :\ I guess I was expecting too much but I think the entire family unit needs some enrichment.
  • Options
    CrackFoxCrackFox Posts: 1,507 Member
    Of course they were although I still think they took priority over the glorified object stage commonly known as baby.

Kids are pretty good but there's pretty much 0 difference between teens/young adults/adults and elders to the point where they needed to add labels to them to tell them apart. Literally.

• Options
    PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    I wonder if there would be the same outrage if they had included toddlers, but left out teens?
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • Options
    mushplomplommushplomplom Posts: 760 Member
    Piperbird1 wrote: »
    I wonder if there would be the same outrage if they had included toddlers, but left out teens?

I think it would pretty much be the same. I mean just replace the word toddlers with teens in threads about toddlers.
    I bought a GTX 1070 to play Sims 4.

• Options
    mwdonohuemwdonohue Posts: 3,307 Member
    emmaning wrote: »
    Baby: 0-1
    Toddler: 1-5
    Kid: 5-10
    Tween: 10-13
    Teen: 13-20
    YA: 20-35
    Adult: 35-54
    Old person: (or as the game calls 'elder') 54-80

That being said each of the lifestages you pointed out (which IMO is considered the perfect complete lifestage cycle), looks wise, should be averaged out and the age is given at that; Except teens. Many teens look like adults at age 17 (at least where I am). So for example, this would be, in my opinion, the guide to go for, for looks:

Baby: 0-1 (obviously can't change much here)
    Toddler: 3
    Kid: 7 (or eight)
    Tween: 11 or 12 (not much of a looks difference but a very contrasting personality when compared to kid)
    Teen: 15
    YA: 22 (There is a very large contrast between 15 and 22 looks-wise)
    Adult: 42
    Elder: 65-80
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    Piperbird1 wrote: »
    I'd rather them have left out YA, since they're the exact same as adults. :/
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited July 2015
    See, imo- Teens are Young Adults (in RL and the Game) and we really don't need both. *In Game! XD

TS2 added Young Adults so they could be Different from Teens when they went to University but still limited from Adults. They still sounded like Teens but they walked differently than Adults.

YA added in TS3 are just another age of Adult with less facial wrinkles. So, in TS4- is there any difference between Teens and Adults except they can't have children?

Now, I've been enlightened that children are just shrunk down adults. I can see it now. :lmao: :scream:
  • Options
    SpidersWebSpidersWeb Posts: 1,027 Member
    I don't think they were an afterthought. In fact even toddlers have a type ID just sitting unused in parts of the code.

I think what happened is someone said: "well if we make teens the same height, that halves our animation and clothing requirements" and then somebody in accounting got very excited, and suddenly everyone was dancing and drunk and putting in an order for a new Mercedes.

I very much doubt the person who put in the original design was like 'no real babies, no toddlers, no teens - best game evah!'.
    Performance, Price, Portability - pick two.