The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS3 Won't Work (MBPro 15inch/Mid2015) - AMD Radeon R9 M370X

Comments

• the11thmoonthe11thmoon Posts: 249 Member
    No, LOL. You did not make things worse. LOL.
    We will keep trying until something comes through!

Any suggestions are welcomed! You are a genius. Any idea, plz let me know - everyone!
    I won't stop until!
    Over the next few weeks - I'll keep looking/trying. This is not only for me - but for the next person who purchases the AMD 15inch Macbook Pro.
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Have you tried copying exactly what it says for the TS4 file?
    apple-signature.png
    edited June 2015
    Have you tried copying exactly what it says for the TS4 file?
    No I haven't! Great idea!! I will do that when I get home.
    EA is so full of it.
    I called asking for assistance on the graphic card matter - and they're telling me things will work once I update my computer.
    ;/
    Sorry if this is a silly question -- but has anyone been able to use those directions that are posted, and been able to make it work?
    Sorry if this is a silly question -- but has anyone been able to use those directions that are posted, and been able to make it work?

Yes, some have for the Intel Iris cards. You're the first person to try with the AMD R9 I think.

As for EA's "help", they told someone else the other day that the game doesn't work because of Yosemite. Their help is laughable at best.

apple-signature.png

Yes, some have for the Intel Iris cards. You're the first person to try with the AMD R9 I think.

As for EA's "help", they told someone else the other day that the game doesn't work because of Yosemite. Their help is laughable at best.

So maybe I should try doing it for the Intel Iris card and see what happens.
    How can you tell if the game is reading Intel Iris?
    And I really want to THANK every one of you of being here to help through this process. It means a lot.
    edited July 2015
    I looked into my SIMS 4 files, and this is what I saw. It seems EA reads the R9 card, but under 8800M.
    So I decided to use that concept for the Sims 3.

112aph2.png

The picture below is the result of using the same concept in the SIMS 4 files to my SIMS 3 files.. It's a MATCH now.

2i7oi6w.png
    Post edited by the11thmoon on
    I looked into my SIMS 4 files, and this is what I saw. It seems EA reads the R9 card, but under 8800M. So I decided to use that concept for the Sims 3.
    112aph2.png

I decided to apply the same concept in the SIMS 4 files to my SIMS 3 files.. and now this is what I see for THE SIMS 3. It's a MATCH now.
    2i7oi6w.png

However, the graphics are a still bit choppy - but I only played it once. I just shut down the game and I will restart it, hoping that I get my crisp graphics of my older Macbook Pro from 2012. I'll keep you guys posted! :smile:

But it worked and you got past the loading screen at least - something's working, well done! :D

apple-signature.png
    Another thing I've noticed is - My Macbook Pro refuses to set the AMD R9 has the default graphics.
    e03exd.png

Is there any way I can fix that?
    I looked into my SIMS 4 files, and this is what I saw. It seems EA reads the R9 card, but under 8800M. So I decided to use that concept for the Sims 3.
    112aph2.png

I decided to apply the same concept in the SIMS 4 files to my SIMS 3 files.. and now this is what I see for THE SIMS 3. It's a MATCH now.
    2i7oi6w.png

However, the graphics are a still bit choppy - but I only played it once. I just shut down the game and I will restart it, hoping that I get my crisp graphics of my older Macbook Pro from 2012. I'll keep you guys posted! :smile:

But it worked and you got past the loading screen at least - something's working, well done! :D

THANKS TO YOU!!!!!!
    AND EVERYONE ELSE! AH! :smiley:
    edited June 2015
    Just to note: The AMD R9 and the 8800M card share the same device #: 6821.
    That's why they're compatible I believe, or interchangeable.
    Another thing I've noticed is - My Macbook Pro refuses to set the AMD R9 has the default graphics.
    e03exd.png

Is there any way I can fix that?

It automatically switches based on the app. you're using. For example, if you are using Safari it will use the integrated GPU but switch to Photoshop or similar and immediately it will kick in the AMD. That's a really good point actually, I didn't twig that you had the Intel Iris too. Switch to the dedicated and see how that works. You can set it in System Preferences > Energy Saver
    apple-signature.png
    edited June 2015
    So the game is RUNNING! It's not as crisp and fluent as my last cheaper Macbook Pro, with an older graphic card - (THE MADNESS LOL), but it's working.

I'm going to try to install Windows via Bootcamp and play the game there as well - to see if it reads the AMD R9 and looks better.
    So the game is RUNNING! It's not as crisp and fluent as my last cheaper Macbook Pro, with an older graphic card - (THE MADNESS LOL), but it's working.

I'm going to try to install Windows via Bootcamp and play the game there as well - to see if it reads the AMD R9 and looks better.

Is that with your Mac set to always use the AMD? Or do you think you edited the files correctly?

apple-signature.png
    edited June 2015

Is that with your Mac set to always use the AMD? Or do you think you edited the files correctly?

My Mac is still set to Switch graphics.

I believe it's working because of the files I set.

As a matter of fact, the only thing I did was add the text "AMD HD Radeon 8800M" to the GraphicCards.sgr file.
    I didn't even modify anything in GraphicRules.sgr because I didn't know what to do.
    I went back to see what the deviceConfig.log looked like - and there it was, FOUND and MATCHED.
    Absolutely brilliant! If you don't mind I'm going to link to this in the help thread and on my blog in the graphics page so others can try it. What FPS are you getting?

Now, if we can just get someone with the 2015 MacBook Air to try the edit as well.....
    apple-signature.png
    Absolutely brilliant! If you don't mind I'm going to link to this in the help thread and on my blog in the graphics page so others can try it. What FPS are you getting?

Now, if we can just get someone with the 2015 MacBook Air to try the edit as well.....

That is so funny you asked what FPS I am getting. I have no clue how to figure that out.
    But I'm trying to stop some of the lag I'm getting. Don't know how.
    Is that Default/60 thing have something to do with it?
    edited July 2015
    I added the AMD HD RADEON 8800M in GraphicsCards.sgr
    I changed nothing in the GraphicRules.sgr file.

2j68jmp.png
    Post edited by the11thmoon on
    Open the cheat console and type in:

FPS on

then hit enter. The FPS will show as a number in the top right corner :)
    apple-signature.png
    Thank you! I will do that and get back to you!
    And for my information, the higher the FPS, the more laggy it will be, right?
    30-60 is where it should be?
    edited June 2015
    Ok. So my FPS stays around 30-45.
    Sometimes when I'm turning the camera angle to go from house to another it goes down to as low as 25-8 and then shoots back up, really quickly.

I have everything set from medium to high.