Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS3 Won't Work (MBPro 15inch/Mid2015) - AMD Radeon R9 M370X

the11thmoonthe11thmoon Posts: 249 Member
edited June 2015 in The Sims 3 Mac Discussion
AMD Radeon R9 M370X.

The game won't read this new card.
Any suggestions on how I can get the game to read it?

I bought this new Macbook Pro for $2800 and I can't even play the game properly.
Thanks.
Post edited by the11thmoon on

Comments

• SungFishySungFishy Posts: 455 Member
    Since the R9 370X is a newer card, it has to be manually added into the .sgr files. I think your Macbook has dual graphics, so DeviceConfig.log isn't accurate anymore. http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Getting_new_graphics_cards_recognized_by_the_game
    http://modthesims.info/t/481768 (3rd post for AMD cards) Hopefully these two guides will help you in detecting your new graphics card.
    Tech Support(inactive)
    QGuOHD4.gif?1
  • the11thmoonthe11thmoon Posts: 249 Member
    Hi. Thank you.
    But what do you mean by (3rd post for AMD cards).

I tried using that link before, but I'm having a hard time when it gets to the Open GraphicsRules.sgr file part.
    How can I edit the my card into the text edit?
    The directions are not that simple.
    I am able to add the the new AMD card.

But the next few steps are confusing.

I see that my card is FOUND. But it's not MATCHED.
    Is there a youtube video for this?
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    @igazor op needs mac help Thanks!
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Here are some nice easy instructions on how to add your card. They are for the Intel Iris but substitute your card in its place :)

BTW, thank you for posting this, a lot of us were wondering about the new AMD GPUs.
    apple-signature.png
    Wait. I know that name @igazor
    That person helped me years ago on nrass website.
    Thank you for connecting me to that person. God sent! An angel of sorts! Lol.

I'll check this out once I get home. Please check this thread every now and again if you can - to see if I got through. Which mostly I will. Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu ❤️
    edited June 2015
    And no prob.
    I bought this new MacBook Pro. Top end thinking I'll be ok with sims 4 and 5.
    And I couldn't even play the sims 3
    Paying $3000 and not getting a full experience left me livid!!!!
    Also. When u say substitute my card instead of the Intel one.

How would I write it in?
    As AMD Radeon R9 or AMD Radeon R9 370M?
    Or another combination?
  • WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    AMD Radeon R9 M370X.

The game won't read this new card.
    Any suggestions on how I can get the game to read it?

I bought this new Macbook Pro for $2800 and I can't even play the game properly.
    Thanks.

EA hasn't updated the two .sgr files, GraphicsCards.sgr and GraphicsRules.sgr which doesn't include newer cards. Majority of newer Macs as well as PCs have graphics that aren't included in the files, please note that The Sims Medieval and The Sims 4 use the same files. Medieval is probably more outdated than TS3's files. OS X usually has an option to disable auto graphics switching so TS3 uses the dedicated card although running Windows through Boot Camp always has the system use the dedicated card.

I've added the MacBook Pro with AMD Radeon R9 M370X to the list of Macs that don't work with TS3. If this Mac doesn't work with The Sims 3, does manually adding the AMD Radeon R9 M370X like @BluebellFlora mentioned allow it to run?
    Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member

How would I write it in?
    Or another combination?

Yep, @igazor is a star :)

Write it as it appears in the info under Apple icon > About This Mac

I understand you're angry but your Mac was released over a year after the last EP was released for TS3 and 6 months after the final patch. TS3 never worked well on Macs anyway because of Cider.

TS4 however, should work like a dream :)
    apple-signature.png
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Aww shucks, you guys...

Personally, I wouldn't spend more than an hour or two trying to get TS3 for Mac to work on a modern MBP. If bootcamping Windows is within reach and TS3 for Windows will recognize and use the newer dedicated card, then that is going to provide a better overall experience anyway as it would remove Cider from the mix and you would get to utilize the full amount of RAM that the game can handle (~3.7 GB as opposed to only 2 GB). But that's just me, I guess. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net

How would I write it in?
    Or another combination?

Yep, @igazor is a star :)

Write it as it appears in the info under Apple icon > About This Mac

I understand you're angry but your Mac was released over a year after the last EP was released for TS3 and 6 months after the final patch. TS3 never worked well on Macs anyway because of Cider.

TS4 however, should work like a dream :)

The Sims 4 is horrible tho. Lol.

I will be trying to see if your directions help very soon.
    I'll let you guys know.
    Check in for updates!
    igazor wrote: »
    Aww shucks, you guys...

Personally, I wouldn't spend more than an hour or two trying to get TS3 for Mac to work on a modern MBP. If bootcamping Windows is within reach and TS3 for Windows will recognize and use the newer dedicated card, then that is going to provide a better overall experience anyway as it would remove Cider from the mix and you would get to utilize the full amount of RAM that the game can handle (~3.7 GB as opposed to only 2 GB). But that's just me, I guess. :)

Well, I do have Windows 8.1
    Maybe I should install it on my Mac?
    I'm afraid to. The last time I did, my computer froze up and I lost everything. On a Top End Macbook Pro from 2012.

But with a new computer, with not much on it - I don't have much to lose... so I may give it a try, if this option doesn't work.
    Ok. So I tried it, and it didn't work.
    These are the pictures of what I did.

jhvd42.png

2a4zlur.png

vr51yu.png
    It finds it, but it doesn't MATCH the AMD card. And hence, it doesn't use the graphic card.
    This is so disheartening. Spending all that money, thinking I'd have a better game experience - but it's even WORSE than my last computer.
    ALSO -- I'd like to note something. I have The Sims 4, and this is what it reads:
    112aph2.png
    Notice the different between the AMD driver and AMD database.
    The Sims 4 uses the AMD Radeon R9 M370X, BUT it changes its name.
    Does anyone have any info on why that is?
    Don't be offended, but I don't like the way your card is named in your file edits above. The other Radeons all have spaces in their names. Shouldn't the entries in GraphicsCards.sgr be something more like "AMD Radeon R9 M370X" (it might not matter, but it just doesn't look right all smooshed together the way you have it)

On GraphicsRules.sgr, try "*370X*" instead of "*AMDRadeonR9M370X*" (I believe the *s are supposed to act as wild cards)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    igazor wrote: »
    Don't be offended, but I don't like the way your card is named in your file edits above. The other Radeons all have spaces in their names. Shouldn't the entries in GraphicsCards.sgr be something more like "AMD Radeon R9 M370X" (it might not matter, but it just doesn't look right all smooshed together the way you have it)

On GraphicsRules.sgr, try "*370X*" instead of "*AMDRadeonR9M370X*" (I believe the *s are supposed to act as wild cards)

Oh yes, to address that. I had them spaced out for the first try. And when that didn't work, I thought placing them together would work - and it still didn't make a difference lol.
    And ok, I will try the 370X thing!
    Thanks. I'll let you know if it worked in a few.
    ANOTHER Attempt: And now it's not finding the card, nor matching it... :(

2625yfo.png

67s8lt.png

2hyjucm.png
    Note: the line that you see in both pics are from my cursor, not an actual letter.
    Sorry, seems like I've made things worse instead of helping. :(
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!