Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

❦Modeling, Hosting, & Judging Guide❦

Comments

• EliavahEliavah Posts: 2,270 Member
    edited June 2015
    Oh wow, you were wayyy better than I was ( I actually don't have any old images besides the ones from 3 years back, not when i very first started , and by then I had better knowledge ), but yeah! Those are all really great! Love that futuristic one, am a huge sci-fi dork. Also that feather one is gorgeous <3. You also started off with amazing quality, not a lot of us can say that :).
    I actually think my first competition the judge had saved some photos to her own account, because going back to it, I still see some of them, but I deleted them :o. I can pull those up if you like, their my very first edits (sims 3 ofc I was like 13).
    And oh my, though to be honest, in my opinion the right pose can really make an image~ I actually tried Blender (well again, but last time I used it was a while ago and never really finished pose) by the suggestion of someone in Sims Survivor and i liked it ! The problem I have is that a lot of poses are in CAS, so I have to take the upper half from CAS and the lower half from in game (because i cant zoom in legs in CAS for some reason >_>) to make my model big enough (otherwise she comes out small) . The problem with that is, the lighting is different, so i have to do a lot of tweaking in photoshop to match the colors , which isn't too difficult, just rather not you know? But made my first Sims 4 pose (it looks terrible ) and person gave me some tips and stuff ^^ I replaced the pushup animation (since I just take out my poses when I actually play the game) Will try to create pose for whatever next assignment I have, maybe even Sims 3, though idk.
    But you should try pose combining! For me it actually was faster to do that then create a pose, but that is only because I'm more experienced in it. When you have more experience in something, like drawing, editing, etc. things can come out faster. So somebody like you with experience in Blender probably takes wayyyyyy less time then I do. But I do want to become experienced with it! Its kinda a start on learning 3d model rendering and stuff (for when I go into computer science and videogame design).
    Ah sorry for wall of text xD ><. ( i always do this, and I haven't even checked Before & After thread yet >_>)
  • LilacErinLilacErin Posts: 3,884 Member
    @Elivah, I agree about the sci fi picture it looks great Mizzie. :)
    I also tried making a pose its not great but it's not terrible, I also downloaded the rigs for sims 3 poses and I'm very excited to have a go! Maybe I could see your pose?
    I'm a sad girl. I'm a mad girl. I'm a bad girl.
    <3
  • EliavahEliavah Posts: 2,270 Member
    ZapGirl wrote: »
    @Eliavah, I agree about the sci fi picture it looks great Mizzie. :)
    I also tried making a pose its not great but it's not terrible, I also downloaded the rigs for sims 3 poses and I'm very excited to have a go! Maybe I could see your pose?
    Oh my pose is terrible ! Haha it's literally almost the first time I made a pose sucessfully. Like works in game, and all. I'll be making another one with tips that I got from a fellow simmer ^^ I can show you that one when I finish.

• MizoreYukiiMizoreYukii Posts: 6,566 Member
    Eliavah wrote: »
    Oh wow, you were wayyy better than I was ( I actually don't have any old images besides the ones from 3 years back, not when i very first started , and by then I had better knowledge ), but yeah! Those are all really great! Love that futuristic one, am a huge sci-fi dork. Also that feather one is gorgeous <3. You also started off with amazing quality, not a lot of us can say that :).
    I actually think my first competition the judge had saved some photos to her own account, because going back to it, I still see some of them, but I deleted them :o. I can pull those up if you like, their my very first edits (sims 3 ofc I was like 13).
    And oh my, though to be honest, in my opinion the right pose can really make an image~ I actually tried Blender (well again, but last time I used it was a while ago and never really finished pose) by the suggestion of someone in Sims Survivor and i liked it ! The problem I have is that a lot of poses are in CAS, so I have to take the upper half from CAS and the lower half from in game (because i cant zoom in legs in CAS for some reason >_>) to make my model big enough (otherwise she comes out small) . The problem with that is, the lighting is different, so i have to do a lot of tweaking in photoshop to match the colors , which isn't too difficult, just rather not you know? But made my first Sims 4 pose (it looks terrible ) and person gave me some tips and stuff ^^ I replaced the pushup animation (since I just take out my poses when I actually play the game) Will try to create pose for whatever next assignment I have, maybe even Sims 3, though idk.
    But you should try pose combining! For me it actually was faster to do that then create a pose, but that is only because I'm more experienced in it. When you have more experience in something, like drawing, editing, etc. things can come out faster. So somebody like you with experience in Blender probably takes wayyyyyy less time then I do. But I do want to become experienced with it! Its kinda a start on learning 3d model rendering and stuff (for when I go into computer science and videogame design).
    Ah sorry for wall of text xD ><. ( i always do this, and I haven't even checked Before & After thread yet >_>)
    I don't mind the wall of text! xD
    Thank you! O_O But besides my backgrounds, corrections, and skin shading, I never did much to my edits. xD The quality was good because I always played in the highest settings, and since I was curious as to how to get my images to look like theirs, I stalked and did a lot of research. This was also the time I started getting into custom content and the simblr community, so one thing lead to another. HQ mods and cc later, I have a better than average photo, but nothing amazing. xD I have yet to make a sim completely out of CC and sliders though. @_@

I would love to see them!
    Yeah, the right post does make the image. xD My pose still turned out a little funny, but it was way better than what I did before realizing my mistake. And having poses in CAS would be fine if EA would just release an updated camera that allows us to move it around, and remove the weird blue glare on our sims from the original background.
    My umbrella pose that I made (for the gumball assignment) was actually in the game. I found a curved background (just like the Sims 3 one!) that works pretty well. The only problem is that we can't move our sims, so you have to pose them just right, then move the background over them. It also comes with lights, but I haven't fiddled with them enough to determine which one works better without washing her out and causing problems. I might try the normal ingame lights next to see if that also helps. So yeah, definitely try it out! I'll message you about this in a bit along with everything else.
    Does the pushup motion only work if your sim has a skill in working out? o_o I did the tap feet motion for my pose.
    Ughhhhh. I want to, but I find poses that fit what I want at a very slooooow rate. Unless there's a specific pose pack that gives you angled arms and everything for pose combining, it may never happen. xD But I'll try to do it during my free time to see what I can do. And I don't have more experience in Blender! It's just that I spent a few days making my Sims 4 pose, so that transferred over to my Sims 3 pose. It was my second time making a pose, and then I found a guide on pose making for the Sims 3 that makes Blender soooooo much easier. Again, I'll message you in a bit with more details. I feel like we're taking over the thread and probably annoying people who bookmarked this only for the updates! xD But it is an easy way to bump it without being repetitive. O-o *Taps chin*
    And yes, it's a start for you! I can't believe you didn't try this sooner considering what career you're going for! :lol:

edited June 2015
    Ladies and gentlemen, I am almost done setting up the Beginners Editing Competition! Please get your models ready, as it will be up in a few hours or less (unless something comes up)! ;)

I will also be checking my guides again for anything I may need to add, and will also be placing an "Update Section" so that people may locate the updates incase they missed something. :P
    Post edited by MizoreYukii on
  • jauntyjaunty Posts: 3,336 Member
    What a wonderful idea @MizoreYuki,I will def bookmark this thread,I love watching everyone grow and seeing the progression <3
    m0oUDbi.jpg
    Anyways, I'm a bit busy at the moment, but here is my to-do list so far with this thread:
    • Formatting guide (still!)
    • "Update" section
    • More information on story competitions, challenges and sabotages to encourage more of these comps (there might be an addition to this list)
    • Probably do some more work on the "Host" Formatting (Changing this to something else) guide to make it more streamlined and simple, possibly even link or make some guides
    • Figuring out where to stick my editing guides after the comp. Might make a separate thread for it. o_o
    • Of course, reread the thread again for any other updates/changes

That's it for now!
    I hope it's okay Mizzie but I'd like to show how much I've learnt in a short amount of time if you practise.

This is my first proper assignment, it's dated March 1st 201516lh83n.jpg

And here is my latest, I actually dated today.
    312xwck.jpg

It's CRAZY how much I've learnt in three months. :o
    <3
    ZapGirl wrote: »
    I hope it's okay Mizzie but I'd like to show how much I've learnt in a short amount of time if you practise.

This is my first proper assignment, it's dated March 1st 2015 snip

And here is my latest, I actually dated today.
    snip

It's CRAZY how much I've learnt in three months. :o

Very nice! It really is crazy how much you can learn if you put the effort in. ^_^ Oh! And some tips I got from Eli, if you want to improve on drawing you should try regular drawing as well! So rather than edit, just doodle or follow guides/videos on how to draw humans, hair, etc.! ;)
    @MizoreYukii I love to draw, I'm actually taking art next year for my GCSE's. :)
    <3
  • chiaradnynchiaradnyn Posts: 22 New Member
    thankyou this guide is really helpful for newbie like me ^^
  • AmazingamphyAmazingamphy Posts: 1,733 Member
    Just like @ZapGirl, I want to show how much I've learnt.

Here's my first assignment, March 2015:
    03-11-15_3-02nbspPM-2_zpsef2ak5or.png

Here's my most recent one, yesterday:
    editmock3_zpsaqbq3fiu.jpg
    HmypxT0.png
    Gone from this place and never coming back. P5 is good
  • GemmabubblesGemmabubbles Posts: 1,737 Member
    @Amazingamphy Wow can definitely see your improvements!! My first competition picture was absolute 🐸🐸🐸🐸 hahahah

I left buymode on ahhahah 🐸🐸🐸🐸. This was back in like 2011

19290942385_70649af71e_b.jpg
    Sims 4 Vampire CC showcase!
    nO4zXfe.png?3
  • HappyPandaHappyPanda Posts: 64 Member
    Thank you much for this amazing guide, I was honestly lost for a while there until I read everything! I can see that you put a lot of work into it and it really shows! :)
    @HappyPanda Thank you! I just went through and added a few sentences/removed some sentences in the first "I am a model" section, but they are generally the same so you probably don't need to read it again. xD

Update:
    • Added in a few new sentences and removed some for better clarification and understanding in the first section of "I am a model".
  • GemmabubblesGemmabubbles Posts: 1,737 Member
    'Someone is better than me at modeling/editing!? Can I be mean to them?'
    Love that question :joy:
    Sims 4 Vampire CC showcase!
    nO4zXfe.png?3
    Sorry this hasn't been updated yet. I have an entire page filled out in my notebook for changes and addons though! Will get on it as soon as I am finished with these other guides and my other miniproject (you'll see it in a few days, hope you like it!).
  • WissaWolfWissaWolf Posts: 636 Member
    edited August 2015
    Thanks for making it. I found the tips useful.

I garnered some pretty good information. I now have that stage for my sims to pose on and found out about Flickr, when before I was using that crappy Photobucket which just bombarded me with ads. Thanks so much.
    Post edited by WissaWolf on