Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 1 Setup won't even start!?

DoritoEvieDoritoEvie Posts: 1,887 Member
Hi,

So I recently got a new PC with Windows 8 on it, and now I wanted to install the Sims 1. It worked on my Windows 7 computer, and when my brother installed it on his Windows 8 PC it worked absolutely fine!
My PC however, doesn't even want to start the Setup!!! I click on setup, nothing happens. I try to fix compadability issues with it, nothing happens, I try to run it in Administrator mode; nothing happens.

I don't know what to do, it's just the regular Sims 1 CD (No deluxe or so), and I really want to get this game to work!
Please help!
tumblr_nbwr2zn6951qhv4h7o8_250.giftumblr_mg2bcqeUgc1rthmb0o1_500.gif

Comments

• Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    Try making your theme a Basic theme. The installer doesn't know what to tell the part of the theme that displays a preview of the window so it crashes the installer before it even starts. At least that's what prevented me from installing it on my desktop for awhile.
  • canitbemancanitbeman Posts: 396 Member
    Seera1024 wrote: »
    Try making your theme a Basic theme. The installer doesn't know what to tell the part of the theme that displays a preview of the window so it crashes the installer before it even starts. At least that's what prevented me from installing it on my desktop for awhile.
    And try high color (16-bit) mode.

in7xjb5WX7PIyv2bAPK9om-UpQ6lu50OmTOOMedFkabQlJ6WAblttI-YkjpbwbaMsZYP99rvrxYZYvusuoiZY9kgoOukGZu8miL-x4i5Vjt_4VS982WP32Goc22ldJNMZMCL6b2pKA=w2400
  • orangelagendorangelagend Posts: 1 New Member
    This happened to me too and I still don't know how to do it. I wanted to re install my sims 1 because the expansions would load and start loading all over again do you know how to fix this
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    This happened to me too and I still don't know how to do it. I wanted to re install my sims 1 because the expansions would load and start loading all over again do you know how to fix this

Make sure to run everything in compatibility mode - if you have an original The Sims disk, use compatibility for Win 98 if you can. If you have a Sims Complete Collection disk, run it in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP2 or SP3. Also, ALWAYS run the installer and the Sims.exe program as an admin.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • mandyssims93mandyssims93 Posts: 122 Member
    I'm having this issue too. I can't install the game. :(
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    edited September 2019
    The latest Windows 10 update borked a lot of old games and made them not work anymore, including the Sims Complete Collection and the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection, which will no longer run for me, even when run as admin in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP2, and even after repairing the game and checking for updates and repairing again. If they get released on GOG, I am grabbing them so fast your head would spin, even if I have to pay for them twice. I suspect the DRM is broken by the latest Windows 10 update, rendering these games unusable. Unfortunately, this tends to encourage people to get into hacking when they otherwise would have been totally uninterested, just to use stuff they already paid for.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • mandyssims93mandyssims93 Posts: 122 Member
    The latest Windows 10 update borked a lot of old games and made them not work anymore, including the Sims Complete Collection and the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection, which will no longer run for me, even when run as admin in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP2, and even after repairing the game and checking for updates and repairing again. If they get released on GOG, I am grabbing them so fast your head would spin, even if I have to pay for them twice. I suspect the DRM is broken by the latest Windows 10 update, rendering these games unusable. Unfortunately, this tends to encourage people to get into hacking when they otherwise would have been totally uninterested, just to use stuff they already paid for.

That really sucks. I just wasted a ton of money buying them all. :(