Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build-n-Share Challenge #182 **Jack Frost Comes Knocking** Due February 29, 2024

Comments

• benlow11benlow11 Posts: 83 Member
    edited June 2015
    I would like: 50×40 – Single family home, 6 bedrooms, 6 bathrooms, total lot cost no more than 250k please and thank you. :)

I've already done it, I didn't want to claim it until I knew I would have time to get it done (going to Colorado tomorrow until Monday).
    Post edited by benlow11 on
    edited June 2015
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM
    CHALLENGE #: 21 Coming Home to Newcrest
    FORUM ID: benlow11
    ORIGIN ID: benlow11
    LEVEL: Established
    LOT: Newcrest Manor
    LOT COST: 8,500
    BUILD COST: 239.023
    TOTAL COST: 247,523
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: https://www.flickr.com/photos/17172001@N06/sets/72157654282060809
    ENTRY DETAILS: A 6 bed, 6 1/2 bath, single family home with plenty of entertainment and space for learning. Newcrest Manor has a pool, a large back porch for grilling and chilling, a play area for children, an area for a hot tub, and plenty of landscaping. It also features several porches/balconies for some peace and relaxation. The first floor has the living area, half bath, kitchen, pantry, dining/bar, and three adult bedrooms with attached baths. The second floor has a nursery with an attached bath, a girls room with attached bath, boys room with attached bath, and an open kids area for learning and playing.

SIM: N/A
    SIM ENTRY SLIDESHOW:N/A
    ENTRY DETAILS:

ROOM:N/A
    ROOM ENTRY SLIDESHOW: N/A
    ENTRY DETAILS:

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes please
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: none, just used MOO

SPACE FOR PICTURES: (Only a maximum of two per entry, please)
    160bxc4.jpg
    294mh4o.jpg
    Post edited by benlow11 on
  • LeebeejeebeeLeebeejeebee Posts: 116 Member
    edited June 2015
    So I managed to work out I could solve my links issue if I started a new post :-)

OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM
    CHALLENGE #: 21
    FORUM ID: Leebeejeebee
    ORIGIN ID:Leebeejeebee
    LEVEL: Starting Out (still working out TS4 build mode!)
    LOT: Hillside Highlands
    LOT COST: 2,000
    BUILD COST: 37,775
    TOTAL COST: 39,775
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: Slideshow
    ENTRY DETAILS: Neighbourhood 2 - 30×20 – Duplex, 2-3 bedrooms per side, 1-2 bathrooms, total lot cost no more than 40k. Tough challenge! I managed 2 bedrooms and 1.5 baths each side, with a teeny bit of landscaping. I managed to provide a few luxury items - there are curtains, a TV and dresser in each house. I tried really hard to avoid uncomfortable things as well, although the bathrooms have been skimped on a bit so I could give other areas a plush feel :smiley:
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes please. My pictures are pretty awful I know!
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: None
    SPACE FOR PICTURES: 06-14-15_1-11nbspPM.png

• TwtyBrd0707TwtyBrd0707 Posts: 102 Member
    Ok, so I have gone over my budget by 100,000 and I'm not done with furnishing the house and painting it. Any suggestions on how to cut cost?
    @TwtyBrd0707 I am no expert but I had to cut back on mine quite frequently. So a few things I have done:
    1. Use a different paint or flooring- a lot of times you can find a cheaper one that looks similar or goes with your design just as well. This can actually save hundreds of simoleons depending on the number and size of rooms if you switch from one that costs 8 simoleons per tile to 4 simoleons per tile.
    2. Check to make sure you aren't using the most expensive beds, refrigerator, microwave, etc. I know that I personally prefer my sims to have the best of everything so I tend to overspend. It's hard to remember that your sims can always upgrade when they have a bit more money, they don't have to start with the best.
    3. See if there is a cheaper door/window that you like, since we use several of these they can add up.
    4. Bathrooms only need a shower or bath, not both. That includes the 2-in-1 since it is one of the more expensive ones. The way I did it in mine was put a shower in some and a tub in the others (I had the lot with 6 bathrooms).
    5. Check the cost of paintings if you have used any-some of those are really expensive. Instead of using 3 small paintings you could just make the small one bigger to take up more wall space.
    6. Use cheaper counters/cabinets. You might not be able to get one of the bright colors but you could use one that matches all the same.
    7. Switch out your lighting-this might not seem like much but if you used the same expensive light in every room switching to a cheaper one could potentially save several hundred.
    8. Some of the rugs are really expensive too. Check the prices- If the big rug is 435 simoleons and the small identical one is 50 simoleons, then just use 3 small ones. It would save almost 300 simoleons and it adds some character.
    9. I have noticed that there is a small outside bush that is fairly cheap and an exact match for it that is bigger and way more expensive. Just use the shift + ] and make the small one bigger to save simoleons there if you used it (its the one with flowers that kind of look like stars).
    10. Use a different fencing if you have used any.
    11. Use a different staircase and delete the automatic walls that some of them put up (or delete the default walls on stairs you have already used).
    12. If one of your rooms is too big, just make it smaller. You might have to change the roofing, etc but it might make it look better.
    13. Use cheaper electronics. Bedrooms don't need tv's if the living room has one.

Hope that helps. :)
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    @benlow11 - have added your claim to the OP :)
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • CerryddCerrydd Posts: 471 Member
    @Lebanna, I see you have white frames around your photos in your cute starter, how did you get them? When I add frames to photos, they're always black. How to change the colour? :)

Great tips on cutting down costs by @benlow11! The only things I can add are:
    - walls are fairly expensive, an open plan living/kitchen/dining is generally cheaper than having each of them in a separate room
    - pools are expensive, so keep it small (or no pool at all ;))
    - don't be afraid to experiment with free debug objects for decoration or other uses (it's how I created the fencing in Noobcrest)
    - terrain paint is free, so you can use that instead of floortiles outside
    - sim-made photos have a very low value, and are still a cool way to decorate rooms (though having GTW is necessary for that)

$100,000 is a lot though, I think smaller rooms could definitely help a lot. Good luck! :)
    What have I been up to lately? Cerrydd / #cerrydd in the gallery
  • folalafolala Posts: 307 Member
    @Cerrydd If you go into build mode after you've added the frame and pick the design tool it will give you a choice of black, white or brown. I don't know if it's just me but whenever I save a house & then put it back the frames have always disappeared on photos.
    & brilliant cost-cutting tips @benlow11
  • CerryddCerrydd Posts: 471 Member
    folala wrote: »
    @Cerrydd If you go into build mode after you've added the frame and pick the design tool it will give you a choice of black, white or brown. I don't know if it's just me but whenever I save a house & then put it back the frames have always disappeared on photos.
    & brilliant cost-cutting tips @benlow11

Thanks, I can't believe I never tried that myself. Good to know! :) Though yes, frames don't transfer through the gallery, for whatever reason :(
    What have I been up to lately? Cerrydd / #cerrydd in the gallery
  • Liziann1Liziann1 Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited June 2015
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM
    FORUM ID: Liziann1
    ORIGIN ID: Dizzisquirrel
    LOT: Buckingham Estate
    http://www.thesims.com/en_GB/gallery/6F15FE9D147411E5874B0D2985824A1B?category=all&searchtype=ea_origin_id&sortby=downloads&time=all&searchquery=dizzisquirrel&max=25
    LOT COST: $8.500
    BUILD COST: $240.805
    TOTAL COST: $249.305

LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: https://www.flickr.com/gp/130211384@N07/27p4r6
    50×40 – Single family home, 6 bedrooms, 6 bathrooms, total lot cost no more than 250k
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes please

18249056894_dbe0c54220_c.jpg

18684227940_9514e66e4c_c.jpg

Post edited by Liziann1 on
    Check out My showcase thread
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/853211/dizzisquirrels-showcase#latest]
    or look for me in the Gallery
    aka DizziSquirrel

• LebannaLebanna Posts: 1,157 Member
    Cerrydd wrote: »
    @Lebanna, I see you have white frames around your photos in your cute starter, how did you get them? When I add frames to photos, they're always black. How to change the colour? :)

Great tips on cutting down costs by @benlow11! The only things I can add are:
    - walls are fairly expensive, an open plan living/kitchen/dining is generally cheaper than having each of them in a separate room
    - pools are expensive, so keep it small (or no pool at all ;))
    - don't be afraid to experiment with free debug objects for decoration or other uses (it's how I created the fencing in Noobcrest)
    - terrain paint is free, so you can use that instead of floortiles outside
    - sim-made photos have a very low value, and are still a cool way to decorate rooms (though having GTW is necessary for that)

$100,000 is a lot though, I think smaller rooms could definitely help a lot. Good luck! :)

Haha others have answered already, :)
    But yes, after adding the frame in game, you can use the color picker thingy to change it :)
    Sadly the frames disappear if you download a house with pictures from the gallery, but if you add the frame again, the colour that was picked will appear.
    Writer for Platinum Simmers

Gallery ID: Annabelli_22
  • Don_OelloDon_Oello Posts: 269 Member
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM
    FORUM ID: @Don_Oello
    ORIGIN ID: Don_Oello
    LEVEL: starting out
    LOT: Dutch Lake Manor
    LOT COST: 3000
    BUILD COST: 180551
    TOTAL COST: 183551
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: http://s283.photobucket.com/user/El_Oello/slideshow/Sims 4 Showcase/BnS 21
    ENTRY DETAILS: Dutch Lake Manor is a great family house with 5 bedrooms & 4 1/2 bathrooms, it also features an office and a gym. outside you can relax and enjoy a meal from the BBQ

SIM ENTRY SLIDESHOW: N/A
    ENTRY DETAILS: N/A

ROOM ENTRY SLIDESHOW: N/A

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes please
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: no cc used

mh0CjH8.png
    Check out my showcase
  • lisa17annlisa17ann Posts: 2,749 Member
    edited June 2015
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM
    CHALLENGE #:21 (30×20 single family home, 2-3 bedrooms, 1-2 bathrooms, total lot cost no more than 30k)
    FORUM ID: Lisa17Ann
    ORIGIN ID: Lisa17Ann
    LOT: Classic and Cosy
    LOT COST: 2,000
    BUILD COST: 27,977
    TOTAL COST: $29,977
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: http://s70.photobucket.com/user/puppyhugger17/slideshow/Classic and Cosy?sort=9

ROOM ENTRY SLIDESHOW:N/A
    ENTRY DETAILS:N/A

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes Please

CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: NoCC, Used MOO, showhiddenobjects, ignoregameplayunlocksentitlement

SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    cc.jpg
    34921575804_8da1fd7db6_z.jpg

• superbibi11superbibi11 Posts: 486 Member
    @Don_Oello Your Dutch Lake Manor is beautiful! Very good job :)
    @lisa17ann Love your Classic and Cosy. Lovely! I expecially like all that green :heart: Going to see it in the game :)
  • lisa17annlisa17ann Posts: 2,749 Member
    Thanks @superbibi11 I've been so busy I wasn't sure I'd ever get it done. But, just in the nick of time! lol I hope it lives up to the pictures. If only the budget was bigger lol

I also wanted to say all the entries I've seen are really great! It's so impressive how creative you all are! :)

Good luck everyone. And, happy Simming! :)
    34921575804_8da1fd7db6_z.jpg

• superbibi11superbibi11 Posts: 486 Member
    edited June 2015
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM
    CHALLENGE #:21 (40x30 single family home, 5 bedrooms, 4+ bathrooms, total lot cost no more than 20k)
    FORUM ID: Superbibi11
    ORIGIN ID: Superbibi11
    LOT: Newcrest 11
    LOT COST: 3.000
    BUILD COST: 194.161
    TOTAL COST: 197.161
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: unfortunately don't have one :(

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes Please

CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: NoCC, Used MOO, showhiddenobjects, ignoregameplayunlocksentitlement

SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    anljba.png
    211rw5k.png
  • Ash072Ash072 Posts: 1,324 Member
    edited June 2015
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM
    FORUM ID: Ash072
    ORIGIN ID: Ash072
    LEVEL: Intermediate (not sure what others think I am)
    LOT: Tres Solos
    LOT COST: $3000
    BUILD COST: $38,969
    TOTAL COST: $41,969
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: Slideshow
    ENTRY DETAILS:
    (40×30 – Apartment house/cheap condos, (at least three homes) 0-2 bedrooms, 1 bath. Cost of build before lot cast added no more than 39k)

Tres Solos is the new answer to affordable housing for lower income couples. Designed to provide a sense of pride and inspire ambition to succeed, Tres Solos sports three uniquely designed studio apartments! Amenities on premises include an upper patio for leisure activities or to get a breath of fresh air, and a large outdoor area to host parties and get togethers!

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Sure!
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: None...just bb.ignoregameplayunlocksentitlement, bb.moveobjects, bb.showhiddenobjects

SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    06-23-15_10-44nbspPM-2_zpswl3mz0ka.png

06-23-15_10-45nbspPM-3_zpsvkgvuro8.png
    Post edited by Ash072 on
    5sXtTqH.png
  • RyeCris16RyeCris16 Posts: 2,293 Member
    @superbibi11 Gorgeous modern house! Very refreshing color scheme!
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: unfortunately don't have one :(
    I suggest you to try either Photobucket or imgur. I think these could help! :)
    EA ID: RyeCris16 | Tags: #RyeCris16
  • RawlaRawla Posts: 7,495 Member
    The builds that people have created for this are outstanding. I love them!
    Thanks @benlow11 for the advice. It is so hard because I like to make my houses have the best of everything too.
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM (please copy and past into your entry post)
    FORUM ID: twtybrd0707
    ORIGIN ID: twtybrd0707
    LOT: Newcrest Adam Federal http://www.thesims.com/gallery/40315F2B1AD511E5852499FFA4C0140E?category=lots&searchtype=hashtag&sortby=newest&time=all&searchquery=buildnshare&max=25
    LOT COST: $2,500
    BUILD COST: $144,834
    TOTAL COST: 147,334
    LINK TO ENTRY SLIDESHOW: http://imgur.com/a/jnHxz

ENTRY DETAILS: I had the 30x30 lot in neighborhood 3 with a budget of $150,000

ENTRY DETAILS:

ROOM ENTRY SLIDESHOW:N/A
    ENTRY DETAILS:

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes
    CREDIT FOR CC/RECOLORS: No CC. I used MOO and debug cheats

SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    xneKJdIb.jpg

We are all totally in awe of the creativity you have shown for this challenge! but all good things must come to an end, so challenge #21 is now closed.
    GArBA5W.jpg
    edited June 2015
    Re-use and Recycle 2

Jade came through your office door with the look of a woman who couldn’t be more pleased with life. After the ritual small talk and a cup of coffee, she jumps into her purpose for being there. “I am incredibly impressed with how you handled the shipping container house. Everything from the design to the décor, to the selling price, was above my expectations. I’ve also received a very long and very happy letter from the purchasers about their new house.”

You smile happily, leaning back in your chair. This kind of thing makes the job worth doing.

Jade sips her coffee before continuing, “I want you to build 3 more houses with shipping containers.”

You blink and sit up, “3? Just like the first? You have more buyers already?”

“No. These are 3 more prototypes. I want each one on a different lot and each one with a different design style. They will also have a different price point. Like the first one, I’ll want you to provide the schematics and files so that we can produce them to order later.” Jade pulls a file folder out of her briefcase and hands it to you. “All the information is in there.” She drinks her coffee, waiting for you to scan the information.

When you’re done, you think for a few moments then look up, “This will be tricky to get done in 2 weeks. Can I have 3?”

“Sure.” Jade stands, putting her cup on the tray. “You have my number if you have any questions. I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with.”

“Me too,” you think, as Rose shows her out.

Requirements:

All lots are to have a layout showing positioning of the containers prior to decorating and landscaping.

Lot 1:
    4 – 4×10 shipping containers
    Lot Size: 30×20
    Budget: 50k
    Style: Cottage
    Interior design: Cottage

Lot 2:
    5 – 4×10 shipping containers
    Lot size 40×30
    Budget: 75k
    Style: Chalet
    Interior Design: Rustic

Lot 3:
    6 -4×10 Shipping containers
    Lot size: 50×40 or 50x50
    Budget:100K
    Style: Shed House
    Interior Design: Glam

Sim Challenge: Create 3 different families for each of the homes, you have total artistic freedom for this part of the challenge.

Room Challenge: Show us one 4x10 container, showcasing a glam bathroom, your budget is $15k

Please use hashtag #BnS22 for your uploads.

A reminder, if you wish to provide media for your build to allow us to give you feedback, please ensure that it is in the form of a slideshow. No videos please, as these make the process a lot more cumbersome.

Deadline: Wednesday 15th July, Midnight CMT.
    Post edited by BuildnShare on
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Ash072Ash072 Posts: 1,324 Member
    ooooh!
    5sXtTqH.png
  • folalafolala Posts: 307 Member
    Yay! Part 1 was really fun although three of them certainly is a challenge! Can't wait to get started..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top