Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to roll back your save

Comments

• DovahxanderDovahxander Posts: 1 New Member
    Thank you so much! :smiley:

I am all the way at level 8 of the painting career so there was no way I wanted to start over

I didn't realize that you said to find the one without the extension .ver at first and so nothing was changing. Then it took me forever to realize that I had so many saves it turned into letters like so ---> Slot_0000000f.ver0
  • champion_jirachichampion_jirachi Posts: 18 Member
    Hey! I wonder if this can save my saves from the evil clutches of save error 0 and save error 22? I only by the game in late May, and already I've had 3 save error 0 s, and the game had save 22 a couple of days ago. Save 0 only seemed to happen when I used the gallery, so I stopped using it, then it updated, then it was fine, then I tried to add a 3rd household and save 22. In theory, only the most recent recent file should have 22, so I'll try rolling back to the older save.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Hey! I wonder if this can save my saves from the evil clutches of save error 0 and save error 22? I only by the game in late May, and already I've had 3 save error 0 s, and the game had save 22 a couple of days ago. Save 0 only seemed to happen when I used the gallery, so I stopped using it, then it updated, then it was fine, then I tried to add a 3rd household and save 22. In theory, only the most recent recent file should have 22, so I'll try rolling back to the older save.

It's possible. You can try it out. :)
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • AM35502AM35502 Posts: 105 Member
    edited July 2015
    @icmnfrsh, Hi, thank you for the guide... :smiley:

Despite the fact the discussion hasn't been used in over a month, I have a question that I was hoping you could answer :smile:. Sorry if this has already been asked :tongue:.
    Basically, my situation is that I accidentally overwrote (via save as) my legacy challenge that I've been working on for a while now with another one of my households. I deleted my previous save that had the family that overwrote my legacy challenge. I'm trying to get my legacy household back. I can sort of pin-point the last time I played, so firstly, would the previous save files still be there? I'm pretty sure they would, taking a little browse through there, but I'm not sure if those (the ones I found) are the ones that are from the legacy household or some other random one, and the point of me saying that was I was wondering if overwritten save files get deleted :disappointed: ... I don't mind if it's a bit older, though :blush:. Secondly and probably lastly, if I do this, would it create another save when I click load game (seeing as I don't have the previous/newer saves)? E.g. Family 1, Family 2, Family 3, Family 4, and (possibly, if it works) Legacy Challenge.
    Sorry if that sounded too complicated, I would be happy to clarify if you don't understand what exactly I am saying. :smile:
    I haven't tried overwriting a save with a different save yet, but I think the previous save files are there. So it would go

Unrelated family.save
    Your legacy.save.ver0

I tested it out, and apparently you can rename your legacy backup to something like Slot_00000008.save, depending on the highest number you have. For example, if your highest save is Slot_00000006.save, you can rename your legacy backup (Slot_00000004.save.ver0) for example to Slot_00000007.save. The save file's name would be different, but you should see your legacy's family name among the save files.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    edited July 2015
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    I haven't tried overwriting a save with a different save yet, but I think the previous save files are there. So it would go

Unrelated family.save
    Your legacy.save.ver0

I tested it out, and apparently you can rename your legacy backup to something like Slot_00000008.save, depending on the highest number you have. For example, if your highest save is Slot_00000006.save, you can rename your legacy backup (Slot_00000004.save.ver0) for example to Slot_00000007.save. The save file's name would be different, but you should see your legacy's family name among the save files.

I've overwritten the wrong save by accident. I was able to roll back to the overwritten save without a problem using exactly this method.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • gardenfigsgardenfigs Posts: 7 New Member
    edited July 2015
    I got a bug in my game today and I'm trying to go back to a previous save, but it seems that all my saves from before it messed up are gone. Is there any way to get them back?
    edited July 2015

Unrelated family.save
    Your legacy.save.ver0

I've overwritten the wrong save by accident. I was able to roll back to the overwritten save without a problem using exactly this method.

@icmnfrsh & @luthienrising, thanks for the help! Strangely, it didn't work for me, when I tried... I took a few pictures to see if I was doing anything wrong? I may have been copying the wrong save? Nevertheless, no new saves popped up in my load game menu :confused:...

bu="backup"
    del%20later_zpso2pxh8iy.png

If it's worth any mention, when I renamed it, it did prompt me that it might not work (*might not be usable*), but as you can see it was still considered a SAVE file. :smile:. I think I may have done something completely wrong... But that's for you to judge :wink:.

Edit: I don't think I am copying the wrong save anymore because counting the saves in my load game menu there are only 7 of them, and my saves folder has 8 (well now technically 9).
    AM35502 wrote: »

Unrelated family.save
    Your legacy.save.ver0

@icmnfrsh & @luthienrising, thanks for the help! Strangely, it didn't work for me, when I tried... I took a few pictures to see if I was doing anything wrong? I may have been copying the wrong save? Nevertheless, no new saves popped up in my load game menu :confused:...

bu="backup"

If it's worth any mention, when I renamed it, it did prompt me that it might not work (*might not be usable*), but as you can see it was still considered a SAVE file. :smile:. I think I may have done something completely wrong... But that's for you to judge :wink:.

Edit: I don't think I am copying the wrong save anymore because counting the saves in my load game menu there are only 7 of them, and my saves folder has 8 (well now technically 9).

It may not be immediately obvious. When I tried this out, my recovered save had the name "Ghost", even though that was a name I gave to an unrelated save.

The "might not work" message is a generic warning that Windows gives. Changing file extensions does not alter the contents, but only changes how its contents are interpreted. So just ignore it.
    gardenfigs wrote: »
    I got a bug in my game today and I'm trying to go back to a previous save, but it seems that all my saves from before it messed up are gone. Is there any way to get them back?

Are you sure there are no more files ending in .ver0, etc.? Because this guide can only help if those backup files are there.

edited July 2015

Unrelated family.save
    Your legacy.save.ver0

bu="backup"

It may not be immediately obvious. When I tried this out, my recovered save had the name "Ghost", even though that was a name I gave to an unrelated save.

Ha ha, I just realized what happened... I did a closer inspection and noticed that I had restored a save that I had previously deleted! :tongue:. So, well, now I know it works; I just have to find the proper one found the proper file (after a bit of trial and error) and it worked!:smile:. @icmnfrsh thanks again! o:)

Unrelated family.save
    Your legacy.save.ver0

bu="backup"

Ha ha, I just realized what happened... I did a closer inspection and noticed that I had restored a save that I had previously deleted! :tongue:. So, well, now I know it works; I just have to find the proper one found the proper file (after a bit of trial and error) and it worked!:smile:. @icmnfrsh thanks again! o:)

Good to see it worked out for you. :)

Unrelated family.save
    Your legacy.save.ver0

bu="backup"

Good to see it worked out for you. :)

• gardenfigsgardenfigs Posts: 7 New Member
    Yes, it's just five copies of two save files. I think they're both autosaves. They all have the same time stamp and everything.
    gardenfigs wrote: »
    Yes, it's just five copies of two save files. I think they're both autosaves. They all have the same time stamp and everything.

Hmm...I guess you can try all the files. Can you post a screenshot of the files inside the folder? So that we have an idea of what we're working with? :)

• MillerFlameMillerFlame Posts: 21 New Member
    Okay so I have these two files named Slot_0000000a.save and Slot_0000000b.save. I did rolled back my saves and everything with multiple files of different saves but its only bring up these two save files in my game which are minutes apart from one another. If I remove those two and leave in say a different set of saves when I open the game it will basically start me at play without any save files reading.
    Okay so I have these two files named Slot_0000000a.save and Slot_0000000b.save. I did rolled back my saves and everything with multiple files of different saves but its only bring up these two save files in my game which are minutes apart from one another. If I remove those two and leave in say a different set of saves when I open the game it will basically start me at play without any save files reading.

Hmm...saves are supposed to have only numbers. 0000000a should be all numbers, like 00000003 or 00000004.

• TheBlaireWitchTheBlaireWitch Posts: 762 Member
    @icmnfrsh

Okay so, I did the thing with a save and now I'm booting the game back up.
    @icmnfrsh

So did it work? :) You have up to 5 saves ago to see if you can still recover your sims.

• TheBlaireWitchTheBlaireWitch Posts: 762 Member
    @icmnfrsh

So did it work? :) You have up to 5 saves ago to see if you can still recover your sims.

You're seriously the best person who ever lived and if benes were still a sims forum thing I'd give you all of them. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. <3<3
    @icmnfrsh

You're seriously the best person who ever lived and if benes were still a sims forum thing I'd give you all of them. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. <3<3

Haha, well that's a relief on your part. :)

Now I'm just feeling nostalgic for the old BBS. I wish they never took down the old websites. :p

• AyradyssAyradyss Posts: 910 Member
    One thing you may want to mention in the OP as it seems to confuse people sometimes: When looking at a given game save and its 'sub-saves' (.ver0 - .ver4), the 'Date Modified' field will generally be the same for all of those files. The reason being that Windows considers renaming as a 'modification' for this purpose. Of course it has to rename all of the sub-files when you make a new save to renumber them. So when you look through those files, yes, they'll have the same 'Date Modified,' but they are still different chronological saves.

I've seen a number of people confused and even basically ready to give up because they thought all the sub-saves were simply clones of their latest save.
    Pay for product -- not potential!
    Ayradyss wrote: »
    One thing you may want to mention in the OP as it seems to confuse people sometimes: When looking at a given game save and its 'sub-saves' (.ver0 - .ver4), the 'Date Modified' field will generally be the same for all of those files. The reason being that Windows considers renaming as a 'modification' for this purpose. Of course it has to rename all of the sub-files when you make a new save to renumber them. So when you look through those files, yes, they'll have the same 'Date Modified,' but they are still different chronological saves.

I've seen a number of people confused and even basically ready to give up because they thought all the sub-saves were simply clones of their latest save.

Thanks for pointing that out. I never would have thought of that. :)

• Lumysims2000Lumysims2000 Posts: 410 Member
    Hi I've tried it too late because I had removed the TS$ folder to the desk and reinstalled the infected house. As I had the same problem, I started a new game renaming the game and avoided the infected lot and played with the rest of the families. Tried this tutorial, found the old save from the infected family, but it made the game reload and get me out of the world, so i used this information to eliminate the corrupted save and continue playing with other simmies at least.
    Thank you, now I know how the saves function.
  • aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    Thank you so much for this, I accidentally overwrote my main family save but this post helped me get it back in order. I am jumping for joy right now!
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• RacerPQRRacerPQR Posts: 1,566 Member
    Hello,
    So, not sure if anyone's mentioned but after installing the latest September 24 patch my game was kind of reseted. My library was empty and absolutely no saved games (You know, the button was missing). I don't remember checking my save files at the time, so I don't know if it was completely empty. After the reset I created a new sim and started a new game so there should be some files now. However, they seem to be quite a lot to me and with different dates. I was wandering if there was a way to recover my previous games. I tried what you mention in the original post for most dates with my game open, nothing seemed to work. Here's a picture of my saves folder:
    k4z6v4.jpg

They are about 57 saves, not all shown in the picture.
    Any help appreciated. :)