Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

❦Modeling, Hosting, & Judging Guide❦

Comments

• EliavahEliavah Posts: 2,270 Member

It's okay. :P No harm was done!
    I have like, one idea for a modeling comp, but I don't think Sims 4 could pull it off (which makes me sad). Either way, I don't think I am going to start one any time soon. :lol: I want to work on my editing some more and I don't want any more stuff on my plate.

I want a giant modeling forum so bad.....*People probably think I'm crazy.
    Ooh I understand what you mean~ I haven't edited in a very long time (3ish years) So i want to join to practice again ( I could just practice without comps, but assignments give me cool ideas. ) But I've found two comps, one I'm defintely joining (already did mock, just working on headshot & bodyshot), and then I'm planning on joining Bob's sims survivor one. I usually try to stay to one comp only, but I think I can handle two~
    But anyways (sorry for the ramble), I think this thread shall help the Sims 4 modeling community bunches. Maybe they should sticky this thread :o
  • MizoreYukiiMizoreYukii Posts: 6,566 Member
    Eliavah wrote: »

It's okay. :P No harm was done!
    I have like, one idea for a modeling comp, but I don't think Sims 4 could pull it off (which makes me sad). Either way, I don't think I am going to start one any time soon. :lol: I want to work on my editing some more and I don't want any more stuff on my plate.

I want a giant modeling forum so bad.....*People probably think I'm crazy.
    Ooh I understand what you mean~ I haven't edited in a very long time (3ish years) So i want to join to practice again ( I could just practice without comps, but assignments give me cool ideas. ) But I've found two comps, one I'm defintely joining (already did mock, just working on headshot & bodyshot), and then I'm planning on joining Bob's sims survivor one. I usually try to stay to one comp only, but I think I can handle two~
    But anyways (sorry for the ramble), I think this thread shall help the Sims 4 modeling community bunches. Maybe they should sticky this thread :o

I had stopped for a while when school started for me. It was my first year of college, so I was pretty overwhelmed and realized I couldn't balance every single thing. :confused:
    Ohhh! Good luck! I'm stalking the thread. xD
    I like the ramble! It feels empty here otherwise, and I feel like no one is reading it, but the page count is going up so they must be. o_o
    I would love it if they stickied this! Makes it easier for people to see it.
  • DesiKnight07DesiKnight07 Posts: 572 Member
    @MizoreYukii Thanks for posting this guide. I've modeled and judged for the sims 3, but I found some information that I didn't know before. It was very helpful. :)
    85k4x.gif

I had stopped for a while when school started for me. It was my first year of college, so I was pretty overwhelmed and realized I couldn't balance every single thing. :confused:
    I like the ramble! It feels empty here otherwise, and I feel like no one is reading it, but the page count is going up so they must be. o_o
    Oh, I'm actually entering my first year in August c:. I'm kinda excited, kinda eh. Not too into the whole "goto college" thing honestly.
    But yes~ I'm almost finished my application for a sims 3 comp, so make sure to check that thread (also before & after) to see my entry~ <3
    Then I think I will start working on Sims Survivor, hopefully can produce a nice picture.
    I wonder what it takes to get threads stickied . .
  • SyrioniaSyrionia Posts: 1,371 Member
    edited June 2015
    I used to love participating in sims 3 modelling competitions :) I even hosted my own successfully (Work It!, and Work It! 2)
    I really wish I had the time to host again. I really enjoyed it, and met some amazing people, but it was a huge time commitment.
    For now I make do with lurking the competitions on here.

Thanks for this thread. Lots of really useful information.
    @DesiKnight07 You're welcome! Glad I could help. :D

@Syrionia Thank you! And I hope you can join the community again! I'm sure everyone would love to see some new comps.

Oh, I'm actually entering my first year in August c:. I'm kinda excited, kinda eh. Not too into the whole "goto college" thing honestly.
    But yes~ I'm almost finished my application for a sims 3 comp, so make sure to check that thread (also before & after) to see my entry~ <3
    Then I think I will start working on Sims Survivor, hopefully can produce a nice picture.
    I wonder what it takes to get threads stickied . .
    I'm in college to be a doctor. xD If I could, I would head straight to Med school, but this is a requirement. D: I'm sure you'll do great, and college can be fun. Honestly, it reminds me of high school with the funny teachers and students, but the homework and expectations are what make it stressful.
    I did! It looks great! She's so purple. xD <3
    I think it needs a certain amount of posts and traffic. Not sure. >_<

For those not stalking Sims Survivor, I'm thinking of starting a Beginners Editing Competition (minus eliminations) to help everyone get started on their modeling career. I'm still waiting for more input or someone else to step forward (who has more experience in editing) to lead the comp.

All guides I write, find/link, or list will be organized and placed on here as well for future visitors.
    I'm in college to be a doctor. xD If I could, I would head straight to Med school, but this is a requirement. D: I'm sure you'll do great, and college can be fun. Honestly, it reminds me of high school with the funny teachers and students, but the homework and expectations are what make it stressful.
    Oh doctor :o That is cool, and I wish you luck with that~ I hear it's quite the stressful job, being on call and all. But if you're passionate about it that's great. I'm going into Computer Science, I want to be a videogame designer . My main problem with college is the cost ._. Seems like you're #drowingindebt. I'm going to be dorming which will be a nice experience though c:
    And thank you~ Purple is actually my favorite color. Rainbow too, I'm a very colorful person <3.
    Hmm, then that means we must create that traffic \o/ Advertisement everywhere! Haha
    I have made an update to “I am a host” Part 1: Format!

Blue means it was changed!

Updates:
    • I added this note at the beginning as a just in case
      Note: Please remember that this guide is here to teach you and help you make your own decisions based off of the format given. It is not meant to scare you off from hosting, or force you into setting up a competition exactly the same way.
    • I italicized some words in the “other guides” sentence.
      First off, here are some links that give you more information and different views on hosting a modeling competition. I suggest you read these along with my post, as it helps you understand what I am talking about:
    • I changed a few small things, that don’t really matter, on the “Do not be a host”. Just added in the fact that the first one is only a suggestion and changed several words into one word.
    • On the “I fit the criteria for being a host! Yay! Now what?” post I updated a bit of the wording so it makes more sense and is simplified.
      I fit the criteria for being a host! Yay! Now what?
      Now you need to decide on a theme and type. A theme is not exactly required, but in reality every comp has a theme, regardless if it’s “just another fashion competition”. So decide on what you want to do and what you expect from your models. Do you want a competition based on candy, music, fantasy, dark things, supernatural, etc.? Or maybe you want to have a competition centered around teenagers or children (but nothing inappropriate), or even males only! Be unique and avoid copying people though. It is okay to be inspired by other competitions and their themes, but do not copy their competition word for word, or only do a small change. You need to make it your own competition.
      If the host has been gone for months/years and it looks like they aren’t coming back, you can take their idea, credit them (this means you list their name when you discuss what your comp is), and run with it, but only if this is the case.
    • Added some sentences to the “I have a theme and type. What do I do now?” question.
      You also need to come up with the mock and assignment themes and all of the requirements and details needed for people to turn in the photo. Try to post a mock or first Assignment, as this allows people to see even further what your competition is about. Some people join solely based on mocks and first Assignments, as the type of mock and first Assignment will encourage or discourage the right people. Remember, the mock is available before people sign up! They can't tell if they like the competition if the mock only appears after they turned in their application!
      You don't really need a prize. Prizes are mainly for show and tell and so they have something to remember the competition by. Prizes can range from signatures (or banners), avatars, gifs, CC (don't give out CC that wasn't made for the competition/isn't yours), a Sim, being a guest judge next cycle, contract with a Sims modeling magazine (actual published ones around the internet), etc. Be creative!
    • Bolded some words and changed a few things in this sentence.
      Your thread format should resemble the format listed below, and if you want it even more organized you can add more posts, etc to your thread to make more sections. You can also change it up to suit yourself or the competition better.
    Oh doctor :o That is cool, and I wish you luck with that~ I hear it's quite the stressful job, being on call and all. But if you're passionate about it that's great. I'm going into Computer Science, I want to be a videogame designer . My main problem with college is the cost ._. Seems like you're #drowingindebt. I'm going to be dorming which will be a nice experience though c:
    And thank you~ Purple is actually my favorite color. Rainbow too, I'm a very colorful person <3.
    Hmm, then that means we must create that traffic \o/ Advertisement everywhere! Haha
    Thank you. xD
    Ohhhh! That seems like a lot of fun! And I know! Why do we have to pay so much to learn? :/ I take a bus to school, since I basically live down the street from it. Dorming seems like an interesting experience though. :open_mouth:
    Alllllll the colors!
    Maybe I should give out banners? xD Lol
  • LilacErinLilacErin Posts: 3,884 Member
    Very helpful Mizzie :)
    I have only been modelling for a short while and I wish I had been able to read this before i started!
    I'm a sad girl. I'm a mad girl. I'm a bad girl.
    <3
    Thank you. xD
    Ohhhh! That seems like a lot of fun! And I know! Why do we have to pay so much to learn? :/ I take a bus to school, since I basically live down the street from it. Dorming seems like an interesting experience though. :open_mouth:
    Alllllll the colors!
    I live about 2 ish hours away from the school I'm going to go to. And my current school too, have to take train & bus ;-;. Not up for another 4 years of the travel again, so will be dorming c:.
    And I know paying so much is silly honestly Dx
    Banners would be cute, or little buttons :D
  • _aa13ls10__aa13ls10_ Posts: 466 Member
    This is great. Even though I've been doing competitions for a while, it was still a good read. I know this will help quite a few people.
  • lionesskitty09lionesskitty09 Posts: 1,827 Member
    I'm really impressed with you Mizzie! ♥ This was a really good idea girl! :)
    25316144021_1a6fd75cf6_b.jpg
    Thank you @ZapGirl, @_aa13ls10_ and @lionesskitty09! :blush: I'm glad everyone thinks this is helpful.

For those still interested, the Beginners comp will be up as soon as I write down my format. It will not be signup based and will be covering the very, very, basics first! Even if you have been editing a little so far, please remember to check it out!
    If anyone, and I mean anyone, has suggestions or wants to help (guides or tips) or even wants to be a guest judge, please please say so! I'm not asking for commitment, just a bit of help. D: I know I'm not an expert and as knowledgeable as some, so please help when you can so everyone can learn!

Other notes:
    If you want to help advertise this guide or the beginners comp, please message me so I know and can begin making banners. The current one will be updated soon so it gives a bit more info. Thank you!
    Thank you. xD
    Alllllll the colors!
    I live about 2 ish hours away from the school I'm going to go to. And my current school too, have to take train & bus ;-;. Not up for another 4 years of the travel again, so will be dorming c:.
    And I know paying so much is silly honestly Dx
    Banners would be cute, or little buttons :D

I didn't see the point in paying extra for a trip down the road, which is why I chose not to. xD Even if it would be easier. ;-;
    It really is. People go to college to learn and stuff, but everyone goes to high school just because they are forced to. Something needs to change. xD
    Yes! Buttons! Has anyone figured out if we can get multiple images in a signature yet, or is it still one?
  • JesxSimsJesxSims Posts: 526 Member
    This guide is very helpful thanks so much!
    edited June 2015
    The issue I found has been added to the “I am a model” Part 2: Further Questions!

Updates:
    • Removed the first post link at the top in several of the guides.
    • I added in an important update concerning submitting assignments and applications!
      I want to submit an assignment/application that is small to give it a special effect/I just want to submit a small image!
      Don't do this! For some hosts you can actually lose points for submitting a small picture! This is because they can't see the details in your image very well. It is very important to make your image large and clear. If you are doing it for a special effect you need to provide the large image as well (either as a link or include the image in your post) so they can judge that one instead, while considering your small image and the effect it gives as well. If it is only because you used a small background, find another background!
    • Also added in one for the hosts so they know.
      Someone submitted an assignment/application that is small!
      Inform them that a larger image needs to be provided as well. Small images make it hard to score.
    I didn't see the point in paying extra for a trip down the road, which is why I chose not to. xD Even if it would be easier. ;-;
    It really is. People go to college to learn and stuff, but everyone goes to high school just because they are forced to. Something needs to change. xD
    Yes! Buttons! Has anyone figured out if we can get multiple images in a signature yet, or is it still one?
    I understand yeah . And the forcing people to do stuff they don't want to definitely needs to change :o. I feel like the current education doesn't really work?
    And besides those images that change like a slideshow, unfortunately as of now you can't put more than one in a signature. I guess it's too prevent the gif or image spam someone could put.

But anyways, being doing well on these updates! So awesome, they didn't have this when I was around. Came around the modeling section of the forums around the time it first started actually, give a few months maybe, sooo late 2009 ish, or 2010? Honestly don't remember, it's all a blur @_@. I feel so old, and I'm like 18 only >_>

I understand yeah . And the forcing people to do stuff they don't want to definitely needs to change :o. I feel like the current education doesn't really work?
    And besides those images that change like a slideshow, unfortunately as of now you can't put more than one in a signature. I guess it's too prevent the gif or image spam someone could put.

But anyways, being doing well on these updates! So awesome, they didn't have this when I was around. Came around the modeling section of the forums around the time it first started actually, give a few months maybe, sooo late 2009 ish, or 2010? Honestly don't remember, it's all a blur @_@. I feel so old, and I'm like 18 only >_>

I meant more of sucking willing people dry while the others just waste their time. xD But I feel like it doesn't work either.
    I think I can squeeze in small images? Idk. Needs some testing later.
    Thank you. xD I always feel old lately. D: Only 20
    @JesxSims Didn't see this before! Thank you!

No update today, but just a reminder and info about the beginners comp.

Note: Guys, please remember that cutting off the body or head when submitting the applications isn't a good idea, especially if the host wants to do a model wall! Remind people to keep this in mind when submitting.

I am now currently writing out the Beginners Comp and the assignments. It should be up later this week.
    I meant more of sucking willing people dry while the others just waste their time. xD But I feel like it doesn't work either.
    That too ;-;
    And oh i dont know, because it even read my emoticon as an image and said "You can only have one image!" i was like , what .
    Oh you're my sister's age, shes turning 21 the 19th though :o
    And, I heard about the beginner thing you're starting :D. That's cool~, I cant be too much of a help, because Im still learning myself, but I can give tips, and/or guest judge/full time judge ^^
    That too ;-;
    And oh i dont know, because it even read my emoticon as an image and said "You can only have one image!" i was like , what .
    Oh you're my sister's age, shes turning 21 the 19th though :o
    And, I heard about the beginner thing you're starting :D. That's cool~, I cant be too much of a help, because Im still learning myself, but I can give tips, and/or guest judge/full time judge ^^

Guess I can't then. ;-; I'll figure something out...
    I turn 21 in September. :bawling:
    I remember how hard it was to get started in editing and modeling, so that's why I decided to make one, plus people asked for it when I suggested it. xD And don't say that! I'm sure you know plenty of things that I don't. And I would love for you to be a judge! I don't think anyone from Sims 3 will help at the moment since they are quite busy with their own stuff. I'll message you as soon as I can to discuss the guides and everything if you're still interested in helping. I have to finish an assignment right now.
    I remember how hard it was to get started in editing and modeling, so that's why I decided to make one, plus people asked for it when I suggested it. xD And don't say that! I'm sure you know plenty of things that I don't. And I would love for you to be a judge! I don't think anyone from Sims 3 will help at the moment since they are quite busy with their own stuff. I'll message you as soon as I can to discuss the guides and everything if you're still interested in helping. I have to finish an assignment right now.
    When did you start by the way?
    Ohkayy ^^ Just let me know when you can. <3 .
    When did you start by the way?
    Ohkayy ^^ Just let me know when you can. <3 .
    Let's see......According to my Flickr (it has my very first comp edits), around June 1st. It was the first time I tried editing. I was soooo lost and confused as to how they pulled those amazing pictures off! But I stopped around....August, I think? I was eliminated from Drama, my first comp, and then tried to join, or was continuing, a few more but they all fell through, and it was my first year of college too, so I just dropped modeling. I didn't start editing again until May 25th, when I made the Peppermint image for Candy Queen. I was so rusty, I couldn't even remember how to do a shadow or skin shade. Pfffft! :lol:
    Here's all of my edits though, since you were mentioning it in Before and After (I made an album just for you! xD): https://www.flickr.com/gp/125056122@N02/bLo809
    Oh! And the first images I ever edited, besides cropping, were for a contest where we had to make a movie star and their movie posters. They were all done in Photobucket, but I'm quite proud of them!
    http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f297/ino211/Shared/50d5e90e-b01c-4136-bb7f-867a3c4893dd.png~original
    http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f297/ino211/Shared/e99f3fb1-d895-44d5-b2df-dcebd6157534.png~original
    http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f297/ino211/Shared/05a24acb-e2fb-40c5-92d4-c8c357d402ba.png~original
    http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f297/ino211/Shared/735f3421-8dff-42f9-bdfc-53078b337813.png~original
    http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f297/ino211/Shared/5c989eb4-d9f5-4b8b-8768-0797a1b0ecf0.png~original

Is it sad I've been working on a pose this entire time? I am making one for Face Off, finished it, but realized the arms were twisted. I was about to continue, cause I thought it was just the weird pose rig, but then I remembered that it shouldn't be happening and it might look terrible in the game. So instead of wanting to fix it with editing I continued to fiddle with the program! :lol: Posing can be easy, or reaaaaaally hard. :sweat_smile:
    I have yet to try pose combining, but I should. Though, at the rate I find poses, I think it might be faster and easier to just throw one together in Blender!