Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 - Metal for Mac

Hey Mac Simmers,

For those who didn't watch the WWDC keynote Apple has announced a new version of OS X called El Capitan (OS X 10.11) coming this fall, and announced that they are bringing Metal to Mac (a graphics API) that promises major improvements in graphics performance. (Epic showed a new demo of there new unreal 4 game running live)

What do you think the chances are they EA/Maxis will update Sims 4 to support this new tech, apple haven't announced the exact requirements but they seem to hint at it working with a wide range of hardware on there site.

If they updated the game it would preform at least as well if not better to the windows version.

Cheers

Comments

• BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    They don't necessarily need to. It will improve overall graphics performance so hopefully those with the Intel graphics will receive a significant boost. I'm worried what it will do to TS3 though because of Cider :(
    apple-signature.png
    From Apple's Press Release:

Metal also takes full advantage of your CPU and GPU, delivering up to 10 times faster draw call performance for a richer, more fluid experience in games and pro apps.*

*Testing conducted by Apple in May 2015 using 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5-based 13-inch MacBook Pro® systems with 128GB of flash storage and 8GB of RAM. Tested with prerelease OS X v10.11. Not all features are available on all devices. Performance will vary based on system configuration, application workload and other factors.
    apple-signature.png
  • whoisblucrafwhoisblucraf Posts: 28 New Member
    The way it was explained in the keynote and in the apple dev documents is that the APIs need to be integrated into the game. The guy from Epic Games said that they inter grated metal into Unreal 4 and saw an increase in FPS while seeing a 40% reduction in CPU usage.
    The way it was explained in the keynote and in the apple dev documents is that the APIs need to be integrated into the game. The guy from Epic Games said that they inter grated metal into Unreal 4 and saw an increase in FPS while seeing a 40% reduction in CPU usage.

Absolutely, that would be optimal but because it's built into the OS overall performance should be boosted. We need someone with the Intel graphics to sign up to the public beta and be a guinea pig........
    apple-signature.png
    I'm signing up currently, but I have a GeForce 775m in my iMac. They were using iMacs in the live demo so I hope so see the silky smooth performance they showed.. Now to get an external HDD to back everything up on haha
    I could try on my iMac but it's currently running off a 32Gb USB stick because the internal HD is dead, there's not much room left for anything else. I might sign up for it on my MBP though.

Post back with your results, especially as you've been experiencing low FPS :)
    apple-signature.png
  • Freggi36Freggi36 Posts: 49 Member
    edited June 2015
    I love it already all the new features, sounds so great with El Capitan. Apple has ported the gaming for example, technology Metal from iOS to OS X, it is intended to enable more sophisticated graphics for 3D games. The split-screen function of iOS 9 is now available for OS X, hippi. It is a fine thing, I hope then also run games that need support with the Frostbite engine. I hope that EA / Maxis are ready for this new gigantic features.... ;)
    BommelHeader_small.png

From outer space they come. Alien Bommel my gaming site is not a usual gaming site, here lead the aliens the scepter ..
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Well, can't say it anything as we haven't seen the performance of say Sims 3. Because Aspyr focuses specifically on the Mac OS, it will be easy for them to port games to the Mac where as EA doesn't specifically support it. I'll wait to switch to make sure Sims 3 will run on it because I play that a great deal.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
    Metal for Mac runs parallel to open GL (what sims 2/3/most other mac games use) to if the game isn't running in the Metal frame work it will run in the Open GL framework, devs testing El Capitan have already said games like Elder Scrolls Online and the Blizard games which run in OpenGl runs practically identical to yosemite (from the ESO forums - Trying to find the link)
    Good. I can't live without my Sims. :D
    TS3 uses Cider so anything is NOT possible :D

I'm now running my iMac off a larger HD so I'll sign up for the public beta to test, if it will even support 10.11. It's classed as vintage now so Yosemite might be the last update for it.
    apple-signature.png
    OSX El Capitan is going to be compatible with all macs capable of running on OSX Yosemite, mac rumours and Engadget confirm
  • Freggi36Freggi36 Posts: 49 Member
    El Captain is a brother to Yosemite. What changes is the performance with Metal Api, the apps are slim and many other little things. El Captian is the highest mountain in the Yosemite mountains, therefore got those successor this name. :smile:
    BommelHeader_small.png

From outer space they come. Alien Bommel my gaming site is not a usual gaming site, here lead the aliens the scepter ..
    http://bgr.com/2015/06/11/os-x-el-capitan-compatible-macbook-pro-air-imac/

"However, Apple is focusing this year on making OS X run even smoother on older devices than previous releases"

Lovely :)
    apple-signature.png
    *Squee!*
  • NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member
    Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I really hope EA considers this. It would help the performance a lot! I don't know if they have enough mac users to want to do this, but it shouldn't be that hard to do.
    The problem is EA would have to sign up to be allowed access to the Mac "Toolbox". Maybe they have, but I have no way to confirm it. Sims 4 was an in house port, so who knows.
  • Lunder89Lunder89 Posts: 155 Member
    @BluebellFlora - I don't think you need to worry about The Sims 3. It may run through Cider, but it still relies on OpenGL. So I don't see any issues ahead.
    I am currently downloading the public beta to try out another game, to see if some problems I have experienced with it will be solved. If you guys want it wouldn't be too much trouble digging the old Sims 3 disc out and try installing it.

As for EA using Metal, I didn't see their logo in the keynote announcement, (the slide showing the developers who have already promised a commitment to using Metal in their games). So I think it will be a long shot. Also changing from OpenGL to Metal, would require a tweaked game engine (Maybe even a brand new one) and a ton of optimizations. I simply don't see it happening before Sims 5.
  • alexiskraft11alexiskraft11 Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi. I have a Macbook Pro (2014). I downloaded El Captain and now my sims 3 is having severe problems. I play through origins. Have most of the expansion packs and "stuff" packs. Game opens, but when I play, the walls and floors are green, my sims start to literally smear across the screen, and things disappear. It's very frustrating. Someone PLEASE help me!
    This works for Sims 3 & 4. Move your Sims 3 folder to your Desktop (Documents > Electronic Arts > Sims 3). Don't worry your saved games will be safe. Next start up your Sims 3 to allow a new Sims 3 folder to generate. It will not have your old saves or CC installed, but don't worry. This will allow you to make sure that your game is ok. Next start a new sim and play for a little while to make sure that the game is ok. If it is, you can add back your saved games and you may have to reinstall your CC.
  • southaltansouthaltan Posts: 152 Member
    this is the Sims 4 forum, you might want to put this in the sims 3 folder..
    Hi. I have a Macbook Pro (2014). I downloaded El Captain and now my sims 3 is having severe problems. I play through origins. Have most of the expansion packs and "stuff" packs. Game opens, but when I play, the walls and floors are green, my sims start to literally smear across the screen, and things disappear. It's very frustrating. Someone PLEASE help me!