Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Get to Work retail needs big improvements

I really like the Get to Work expansion, but I just started playing the business part and it needs help.

My suggestions
* Make employees worth hiring
* Allow us to assign employees to a cash register and force purchasers to pay there
* Alternatively, give us self check out and pay by phone
* Reduce the time it takes to check out customers by 2/3 (I can bake a cake faster than it takes to check out)
* Reduce the level of grime drastically
* Restock from inventory

Comments

• iraeshiniraeshin Posts: 163 Member
    * Reduce the time it takes to check out customers by 2/3 (I can bake a cake faster than it takes to check out)
    * Restock from inventory

these you can actually improve it yourself in the game.
    first, there are rewards you can purchase with perk points to reduce check-out time
    second, you could bake a bunch of cakes and put them in your inventory or a warming rack and restock your cake (remove the sign and restock it yourself by dragging items out of your inventory or warming rack)
    tumblr_mrvims5wr21rd43h2o5_500.gif
  • AndiratymeAndiratyme Posts: 728 Member
    Unless they fixed it, the one time i removed the signs and restocked from my inventory my store reset back to day one. I don't suggest that one unless someone's willing to test if this last patch fixed that. I was not the only person that happened to.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Unfortunately Graham said on Twitter they have no plans to add functionality to the cash registers (so they could be used to ring up sims). It's a bummer, but just goes to show how important fan feedback is to the developers. I'd go out on a limb to say they probably have no plans for fixing the socializing employees as well.
  • EvaliynEvaliyn Posts: 129 Member
    edited April 2015
    So...even when everybody are asking for a cash register with more options/ functionalities and improvements for employees they will ignore and move on? That doesn't show to me any kinda of importance that they put on our feedback at all...
  • ULIBABA66ULIBABA66 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Unfortunately Graham said on Twitter they have no plans to add functionality to the cash registers (so they could be used to ring up sims). It's a bummer, but just goes to show how important fan feedback is to the developers. I'd go out on a limb to say they probably have no plans for fixing the socializing employees as well.

They are working on fixing the employee bug, Graham confirmed it on Twitter (I think so) :wink:
  • litabelaqualitabelaqua Posts: 4,322 Member
    You can improve how staff work to some degree by maxing out promotions then use berate if they are slacking and praise if they are doing the job correctly. There is still a lot to be fixed but using these does seem to improve performance. Also I only assign answer questions to staff and leave the restocking and ringing up to my sim and her partner. I can tell that Answer Questions is working as I do not have to greet any customers, the staff member is doing it already even if they are sitting down chatting, and my sales have increased.
  • iraeshiniraeshin Posts: 163 Member

using the cash register to ring up customers would be so cool!
    when I first got this ep, I was so confused how my sim just popped out an ipad? out of nowhere to ring up orders! lol
    but seriously, a line made in front of a cash register would so soooo soooo cool!
    tumblr_mrvims5wr21rd43h2o5_500.gif
  • katoregamakatoregama Posts: 1,129 Member
    Once employees are trained up they're actually pretty good at everything except ringing people up. Once I had a max level employee, she would just ATTACK anything that got dirty or needed restocking.

Just uh... be aware that having a retail wall speaker is a bad idea, as your employees will go to great lengths to dance with customers, and not stop.
    Kato, Kato, rhymes with tomato.
    Players: Check out my Sims 4 Room Challenge.
    Devs & Players: Check out my Archaeology Career Idea
  • GinaGina Posts: 9 New Member
    Anybody have this issue where customers walk out of the store when they decided to buy something and u can't ring them up because they walked out and got stuck at a corner.
  • hamburgerfayehamburgerfaye Posts: 431 Member
    Yeah Ive noticed if you dont get to them fast enough (which is impossible with employees that wont work and with how LONG ringing one daang person up takes!) then they will leave or just drop out of wanting to purchase the item, then you cant talk em up again after that. Sale lost due to craappy employees and 2 hours to ring someone up. I wish they fix this.
  • katoregamakatoregama Posts: 1,129 Member
    There's a Retail Reward that makes checkouts take just a few minutes.

There's also a reward that makes restocking instantaneous.
    Kato, Kato, rhymes with tomato.
    Players: Check out my Sims 4 Room Challenge.
    Devs & Players: Check out my Archaeology Career Idea
  • hamburgerfayehamburgerfaye Posts: 431 Member
    The set default time is still ridiculous
  • QuasiattractorQuasiattractor Posts: 17 Member
    Here is what I feel is missing. I have 4 businesses in the business world and all of them are run by my personal sim families. I play with all 4 families, and enjoy having them go to each other's retail businesses to purchase items. And, every time I leave my retail shop to go to another business I return and the store is closed, even if it's only been 2 minutes. I might be missing something, and it might be a factor of it not being an open world, but I want my businesses to be open a prescribed period of time whether I am there in the shop as the store owner or not.
    I would also like to actually check out when making purchases at a business instead of just clicking on the item and having it magically go into my inventory. Overall, I like this expansion very much, I just like to have all sims in my world be able to interact in a synergistic way. Thanks for listening.
  • LuvTamareLuvTamare Posts: 48 Member
    I'm having trouble with my employees. I assign them to ring up customers and customers are ready to be rung up and they do absolutely nothing. Mind you that skill is above average, yet it takes so long that I end up losing a customer or they are at the point where it's a flashing red. It's supppper frustrating...I don't know what to do...
  • Spacey72659Spacey72659 Posts: 1,479 Member
    Employees are awful. I stopped even hiring them.
    I also got a mod that decreases the cost of retail rewards (actually got one that makes them free) BC it takes way too long to get the points for the faster check out. Check out time is way too long, so that reward is necessary to make playing retail shops actually worth it for me.

But I really do not understand what the issue is with the cash registers. I guess im one of the weird people that likes that my Sim isn't tied to a register the entire time I play. **shrugs**
  • Spacey72659Spacey72659 Posts: 1,479 Member
    LuvTamare wrote: »
    I'm having trouble with my employees. I assign them to ring up customers and customers are ready to be rung up and they do absolutely nothing. Mind you that skill is above average, yet it takes so long that I end up losing a customer or they are at the point where it's a flashing red. It's supppper frustrating...I don't know what to do...

I don't think employees ever actually ring them up. Idk if its just me or an issue with the game, but you are better off having your Sim ring people up and setting your employee to answer questions or clean.
  • DBozzywellDBozzywell Posts: 46 Member
    they really dont care 1 animation for the cash register would be fine.. but they want to just get the next ep out without fixing bugs or improving stuff.... repeat of the sims 3 thats why the open world is gone because they could fix old bugs .... so everyone moaned
  • Bernhardvd22Bernhardvd22 Posts: 250 Member
    Maybe @SimGuruGraham can a look at this? :smile:
  • OxbowSnake24OxbowSnake24 Posts: 5 New Member
    its not really about this thread but can you make sure that this is shown to the maker of this game and dlcs
    i think it would be good that the get to work where you can go to the place where you sim is going to make them do it on every job
  • colbyfromagecolbyfromage Posts: 268 Member
    > @Jeffindenver said:
    >
    > My suggestions
    > * Allow us to assign employees to a cash register and force purchasers to pay there
    > * Reduce the time it takes to check out customers by 2/3 (I can bake a cake faster than it takes to check out)

These two YES! The other suggestions I don't have much experience with, but the length of checkout is the one single factor that has driven me completely away from playing the retail aspect of GTW. It is ultra ridiculous.
  • LuvTamareLuvTamare Posts: 48 Member
    Does anyone know of a mod for faster checkout and restocking?
  • SandunSandun Posts: 94 Member
    "Free Retail Perks" by CyberOps, Mod the Sims, allows you to get the perks for free. The perks allow you to checkout and restock faster. Works like a dream.....
  • PersephoneLovesPersephoneLoves Posts: 9 New Member
    I'm kind of befuddled how people in real life would be able to pay for something in a shop using an ipad, when there's a cash register there. Where I live, staff have ipads to help customer's order something online if they don't have in stock, but you wouldn't be able to cash up someone's purchase like that.

I don't know, I definitely think a queuing system at the cash register would make more sense.
  • VickiVampiressVickiVampiress Posts: 211 Member
    edited July 2015
    I might be a little late to the party, but as the OP has stated, the retail part of GTW is absolutely awful. I'm not even overreacting when I say it's absolutely pathetic. I'm not really that surprised, seeing as this is EA we're talking about, but come on... This is just sad. It's a shame to the franchise. With these tight deadlines why don't the developers just focus on ONE thing at a time? They should've only focused on retail and saved active careers for a later EP to avoid it being broken and unfinished.

The tablet payment, the pathetically dumb AI that keeps walking around the counter to (for some reason) view items on display from behind. All the Sims in my store hurdling up into one big pile of Sims only to chat with each other ALL DAY long, instead of buying.
    Not to mention the cheap recycled animations. In The Sims 2 OFB I could at least see what my employees were doing. Now I don't even know if they're chatting up a customer, or actually doing their job.

EA, get your crap together and stop being so incompetent. This is just cheap. I wish I could get a refund, but I can't because I spent too much time on building my bakery. These design choices are AWFUL! Why even put a cash register in the game if you're stupidly only going to use the tablet? It's not "modern". It's cheap and lazy. Not to mention completely illogical. I don't have any feel of management because I'm constantly running all over the place to find customers that want to pay. Why can't they just carry bags and come over to the cash register so I know who to help?

All of this is one, big, awful grind. It's not fun, it's not modern, it's not good. It's badly done and needs structure. Call me a nag, but you can't deny the fact that I'm right. The developers aren't doing what they should be doing.
    1Q6xf0t.jpg
  • amaresityamaresity Posts: 319 Member
    I agree that retail needs some serious work. I just got GTW and was really excited to start my bakery but it's so unenjoyable with the employees doing what seems like jack all but I can't reprimand them.