Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Windows 10

I just noticed an icon on my desktop today.It was for a free offer to upgrade to windows 10. If i do this will it completely mess up my sims3 and sims 4 games?

Comments

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    It could. Its still in beta so my advice would be to wait.
  • Savage_Patch_KiddSavage_Patch_Kidd Posts: 2,937 Member
    I really think you should wait a while before considering & give it time to see how it progresses. Last thing you want is to take the offer only to regret later on.
    tumblr_oy1xa2eHV31uvsi7jo2_1280.gif
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    Yes I would wait a couple of months.. it's bound to have bugs and compatibility issues early on.
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• ferret9005ferret9005 Posts: 1,361 Member
    I was thinking the same, I don't trust anything beyond windows 7 since vista and 8 were so messed up. Thanks for your feed back.
  • Stilw8tinStilw8tin Posts: 662 Member
    Hello, I currently have windows 7 & am thinking about going to windows 10 once it releases. My question is will the sims 4 be able to play in windows 10?
    -Stilw8tin

'Happiness Can Be Found, Even In The Darkest Of Times' - Dumbledore
    It should but its in beta so I would not test it out right away
    Oh okay, thank you! :) I was just curious as to if older games (sims 4, etc) can run on new windows, or if it's only the ones that it says with (windows 7 & 8)
    -Stilw8tin

• ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    hey @Stilw8tin if like me and many many others you now have a small icon on your desktop showing you that windows 10 is coming and to reserve your free copy now.

the official launch date is July 29 more about it http://lifehacker.com/windows-10-will-be-released-july-29th-reserve-your-cop-1708136305

as for the game windows operating system are backwards compatible meaning in theory sims 4 should be able to run on it. right now i think 10 can run the game but after watching the issues with the roll out with 8 i do think its worth waiting a bit of time after the release to confirm MS has dealt with any and all major issues. for example with 8 key programs were not included or activated making players have issues at first running sims 3. it was a simple enough fix after players figured out the problem and then later MS made sure this needed program was part of the 8. so those that waited missed all of the fun times trying to understand why their game stopped working.

thats what i am planning on doing :)
    Thanks Ceejay! :D
    -Stilw8tin

Stilw8tin wrote: »
    Oh okay, thank you! :) I was just curious as to if older games (sims 4, etc) can run on new windows, or if it's only the ones that it says with (windows 7 & 8)

I have seen a few people around using beta windows 10 and state the game can play on 10. There just might be bugs when it comes out so best to wait. I think you have up to a year to upgrade for free.
  • fatbat21fatbat21 Posts: 1,527 Member
    It could. Its still in beta so my advice would be to wait.

Thank you, I needed to know as well B)
    windows is actually in preview meaning folks could try a rather finalized version early http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso

though a more stabilized version then the prior release from last year i myself dont like to run a MS OS until after the first SP is released. :p

the full release will start july 29th but that doesnt mean all issues will be resolved its Microsoft so like chester im waiting as well. http://lifehacker.com/windows-10-will-be-released-july-29th-reserve-your-cop-1708136305
    Stilw8tin wrote: »
    Thanks Ceejay! :D
    you bet :)
  • james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    I always say this wait for 2 months. It give more time for the bugs to be worked out.
  • emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    ceejay402 wrote: »
    windows is actually in preview meaning folks could try a rather finalized version early http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso

though a more stabilized version then the prior release from last year i myself dont like to run a MS OS until after the first SP is released. :p

the full release will start july 29th but that doesnt mean all issues will be resolved its Microsoft so like chester im waiting as well. http://lifehacker.com/windows-10-will-be-released-july-29th-reserve-your-cop-1708136305

Win 10 with probably be like:

windows_10_cortana.jpg?itok=HSJ1cwoO

Yup. Win 7 devices still auto update now sometimes. It's best to just go with 8.1 as vista and 7 were horrible.
    Windows 10 is too much like windows 7 with a few windows 8 touches just sprinkled in with cortana for extra bad controls.
    Here's some stuff about the UI: (ofc it may change and to me it looks prone to bugs and the windows logo stands out too much)
    windows-10-2.png
    Microsoft-Executive-Talks-Windows-10-Pricing-466718-2.jpg
    Currently I can only see myself going with 8.1 as 10 looks kinda hard to use, prone to bugs, not very nice design and eh cortana in my pc would kinda freak me out. It'd be like this: (based off Siri and cortana experience then the fact it wouldn't fit on my PC well)
    Cortana: hello emma I am cortana
    Me: howd yah know me?
    Cortana: because I am your pc, ik your age, name, where you live and your entire daily life
    Me: -screams- you stupid robot, I find it fine on my windows Nokia phone, my iPad or iPhone but in a pc? Have you ran out of places to creep me out?
    Cortana: I like insults, I am cortana, I will say hi whenever you open a game, because cortana is a creep.
    Lol yeh I'd totally freak out. It's good for ppl who want it but I'll go with 8.1 as it's less prone to bugs. I think. The op should totally go 10 if it suits them, s4 will be compatible as if it is with 7, 8, 8.1, vista and xp, it will be able to run on 10 I hope. If not, ea will make it compatible as they did for Mac. Ea releasing info on the case would be good. I just hate cortana, but ik ppl who love cortana on their windows phones and find it amazing. Anyone who goes for 10 I seriously hope they love cortana and talking, because they are gonna see a lot of it in 10.
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!
  • cheifeagleeyecheifeagleeye Posts: 542 Member
    edited June 2015
    windows 10 come out on 29 July 2015 will it work Sims 4? windows 10 is Not a Beta
    windows 10 come out on 29 July 2015 will it work Sims 4? windows 10 is Not a Beta

right now I believe its in beta until it comes out and there are a few people in the forum playing it on windows 10 beta say they have no issues. Its always best to wait until they figure out bugs and I believe you have a year to switch to windows 10 for free. I would wait for the reviews to make sure.

I agree I wouldn't say 10 is in beta but beta isn't a description really used anyways by Microsoft there are preview levels like techincal and consumer MS has recently released another preview which should be more stabile then the last one. But as in any previews even consumer one I think it's best to only install if you have good working knowledge of software.

and the assumption right now is that sims 4 can play on it. But it's always best to wait and see how the roll out of a new operating system goes in general. 8 was a serious mess many programs didn't work well with it at first including sims 3. This was later resolved so it's good reminder that it's good to wait.
  • emzeo85emzeo85 Posts: 365 Member
    i got the offer to reserve win 10 not sure weather i shud download or not
  • cheifeagleeyecheifeagleeye Posts: 542 Member
    Time matters

The free upgrade is for a limited period, so what happens when I have to re-install Windows 10 (PC slow, corrupt etc)? If it’s now 18 months or two years down the line, is it now chargeable? Will there be a downloadable version I can keep to re-install? Nigel

I expect that the Windows 10 upgrade will be downloadable and will come with its own product key: this is how the current trial version of Windows 10 works. (The product key is on the Windows 10 Insider Preview ISO page.) If you have a product key then you can re-install Windows 10 in any way you want.

I also expect that Windows 10 will include the option to create your own restore DVDs. However, you might want to create these by downloading the Windows 10 upgrade from Microsoft’s website, instead of letting Windows Update do the upgrade. (Windows Update will, at some point, delete its download to save disk space.)

Once you have Windows 10 installed, it would be sensible to create restore discs, if that’s possible, or to take a drive image that you can use to restore your PC. Perhaps physical backups are not strictly necessary, but even if we never need them, they make some of us feel more secure.

Will Windows 10 expire?

I read somewhere that the free upgrade to Windows 10 will expire after one year and that the user will then have to pay for the upgrade. Is this so? Alasdair

No, that’s completely wrong. Once you have installed Windows 10 and made a note of your product key, it’s yours forever. Well, you can use it until Microsoft stops supporting it, which is usually 10 years.

Upgrading an upgrade

I am running Windows 8.1 on a desktop PC upgraded from Windows XP via the $40 download offer. I would like to clean up my PC by installing a new hard drive and doing a new install of Windows 10. Can I get the media without paying extra for it or is there another way to accomplish this? Jim

Your $40 upgrade from Windows XP to 8.1 means that Windows Update will install Windows 10 free, or you will be able to download the upgrade separately, as explained above. You should then be able to do a clean installation on a new hard drive. The methods for marking a Windows PC as “genuine” have changed a lot since XP, but whether Windows 10 will still want to “sniff” an XP disc or make you enter your 8.1 product key remains to be seen. One would hope not, but when it comes to licensing, Microsoft isn’t always good at handling edge cases.

Can I upgrade my OEM copy?

I’m currently running an OEM [original equipment manufacturer] copy of Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Would this be eligible for an upgrade to Windows 10 too? Andrew

In theory, yes, but Microsoft has not said what it plans to do about OEM versions that were intended for small PC makers but have been purchased by consumers. It seems that most people would like their OEM version upgraded to a retail version of Windows 10, as explained on Microsoft’s User Voice website (a sort of suggestion box). This may not happen.

Microsoft hasn’t announced an Ultimate version of Windows 10, so you probably won’t get the usual like-for-like upgrade. However, Windows 10 Pro would presumably be acceptable.

When can I get Windows 10?

When will Windows 10 be available? Abhishek

We don’t know: Microsoft has not announced a release date beyond a vague “this summer”. A few million people are now using preview versions of Windows 10, and it’s clear that it’s not yet ready for release. Bearing in mind that Microsoft will be launching Windows 10 in 111 languages in 190 countries across a wide range of devices – phones, tablets, PCs etc – then I wouldn’t expect everything to appear at once.

Late August might be a good bet for online upgrades to Windows 10 PCs, though it might be earlier or later, depending on what Microsoft includes and how many show-stopping bugs testers find in the code.

However, Windows 10 will be continuously updated, so there will no longer be a major distinction between updates (patches and fixes with KB numbers) and upgrades (features provided by installing new program code). Microsoft could therefore choose to ship a slightly incomplete Windows 10 and upgrade it via Windows Update.

It’s even harder to guess when Windows 10 might appear pre-installed on PCs in shops, but it could be another couple of months. Some suppliers might target the back-to-school market, but most if not all should have it for the Christmas shopping season. Microsoft will not want to miss that.
    edited June 2015
    interesting @cheifeagleeye where did you find this. the OEM im sure many users have. i have oem key for my laptop since windows 7 was preloaded but i also have the icon on it asking me if i want to reserve my free copy. so that type of oem doesnt seem to be a problem. but a more interesting question in terms of OEM is the folks that bought oem from a third party i wonder if that will be an issue.
    Post edited by ceejay402 on
    ha i hear you @emmaning i think of new OS having two sides the user end and the tech side like memory management. i already decided im moving up from 7 because 7 is getting dated with how to handles memory and i dont want to take performance hit. now for me i hate 8s user end side so since there are some user end things i like in 10 im happy. honestly though if you are happy with 8.1 you could wait just be mindful of driver updates. im already running into some issues with 7 and this could be the case with 8 down the road.
    emzeo85 wrote: »

i was sooo thinking the same thing! my first thought about Microsoft is being paranoid is good :) the idea of the OS files sitting on my hard drive for any time before i want to upgrade makes me very very nervous. could there be any potential software conflict even unopened and then what if there is something added to the file, like datamining. no thanks MS backdoors have been issues in the past. and what about if the file is self executing like one day you turn on your computer and the upgrading starts installing before you want it to before you have made your back ups. again i so admit this is real paranoid thinking but when it comes to Microsoft i believe in the saying perfect paranoia means perfect awareness.

so what i think i will do is just wait to reserve my code until when i am prepared to upgrade the system that way after installing the preload i will upgrade.
  • emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    ceejay402 wrote: »
    ha i hear you @emmaning i think of new OS having two sides the user end and the tech side like memory management. i already decided im moving up from 7 because 7 is getting dated with how to handles memory and i dont want to take performance hit. now for me i hate 8s user end side so since there are some user end things i like in 10 im happy. honestly though if you are happy with 8.1 you could wait just be mindful of driver updates. im already running into some issues with 7 and this could be the case with 8 down the road.
    emzeo85 wrote: »

i was sooo thinking the same thing! my first thought about Microsoft is being paranoid is good :) the idea of the OS files sitting on my hard drive for any time before i want to upgrade makes me very very nervous. could there be any potential software conflict even unopened and then what if there is something added to the file, like datamining. no thanks MS backdoors have been issues in the past. and what about if the file is self executing like one day you turn on your computer and the upgrading starts installing before you want it to before you have made your back ups. again i so admit this is real paranoid thinking but when it comes to Microsoft i believe in the saying perfect paranoia means perfect awareness.

so what i think i will do is just wait to reserve my code until when i am prepared to upgrade the system that way after installing the preload i will upgrade.

I've not yet got win 8.1 but when I get a new pc, I'm definatly picking out tht os as win 10 is a freaky os in my opinion.
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!