Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 top selling pc game of 2014!

Comments

• Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    It's EA's responsibility they gave a bad experience to many of those customers who bought the game and can't enjoy it or return it. The real test comes with every EP, SP and GP, how well are they selling after months of silence, hideous bugs like the incest collection of bugs and the continued missing content being glossed over.

No one needs to apologise to EA. EA needs to apologise for the way it has handled TS4 and those who were stuck with a game that they hid behind a review embargo which cut far deeper than the obvious features!

Believe me, by end of the year every EP of the Sims 4 will be in that top 10 chart. I'm not saying this because I'm defending EA or anything. The main reason is that players have no alternatives. There is only one Sims game and it is owned by EA. there is no substitute.

The Sims 4 being at No.1 is fans apology. EA too already acknowledged their mistake and they are doing what it takes to correct it by offering more contents. They are apologizing too.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    ironknight35ironknight35 Posts: 3,751 Member
    Foxcrest wrote: »
    Pary wrote: »
    Another thing that EA is considering is not to 🐸🐸🐸🐸 off those fans who still didnt buy the game. They dont want to brush their success on their faces, they just want them to give in which will they do eventually by offering the most wanted features that were missed or long time requested.

Those fans will also apologize to EA sooner than later. EA is very much determined to get their money.

Oh, do you have some kind of insider information into how EA is "feeling" then? Or what their motivations are? Please do share.
    If not, then it's clearly just your opinion that you seem to be trying to pass off as fact.

Fans don't need to apologise to EA. Definitely not for the shabby way they're often treated and the half-cut games that are pushed out for them at exorbitant prices.
    All these things that are "missing", that were present in past base games should have been included initially. Not as some offering to make fans "give in".
    People have said it before and it bears repeating - No one should have to pay for potential.

Where did I say that fans need to apologize to EA? I said fans already apologized to EA.
    The remaining minority will give in soon too.

You make absolutely no sense

Agreed.
    He/Him
  • Options
    Then who makes sense? The game is a hit and you want to imply the majority did not buy it? Its at No.1 which means the most selling pc game of 2014! What does that mean?
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    It means Tomorrow, I go shopping for a new PC game. *Upon my word*
  • Options
    Wildley CuriousWildley Curious Posts: 5,349 Member
    The following info is from the ESA Infographic Sheet.
    I find the age breakdown very interesting.

Age of game players:
    26% UNDER 18 YEARS
    27% 50+ YEARS
    30% 18-35 YEARS
    17% 36-49 YEARS
    “I was so sure that I knew what they needed and what I wanted to sell them that I never stopped long enough to find out what it was they wanted to buy.”
    ― Chris Murray, The Extremely Successful Salesman's Club
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I personally don't know how they arrive at some of those statistics, especially since it seems that anyone over 35 usually gets the "thanks but no thanks" on EA's surveys, once they fill in the age section.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    Lol first we go from it being a top seller for 2014 to it being a hit to it being number 1. Far stretching things for real. Than fans will apologize. For what Ea leaving out content. Don't think so. Most the stuff fans want sims 4 is never going to offer so good luck with that whole the majority of fans that left coming back and apologizing.

I didn't know consumers needed to be sorry for not giving ea their money lol.
  • Options
    TerrylinTerrylin Posts: 4,846 Member
    edited May 2015
    Then who makes sense? The game is a hit and you want to imply the majority did not buy it? Its at No.1 which means the most selling pc game of 2014! What does that mean?

Top selling doesn't show the games that were returned in the Great games 24 hr period nor those of us who couldn't return the game (disc) and don't play it. Just because it sold doesn't mean everyone who bought it liked it and are still playing it. Those are the figures nobody has!!!

PS It doesn't make a very good coaster (hole in the center leaks) but flies great!! Reflects the sunlight when you twirl the disc outside! :p
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    I personally don't know how they arrive at some of those statistics, especially since it seems that anyone over 35 usually gets the "thanks but no thanks" on EA's surveys, once they fill in the age section.

They probably still keep track of that info even if you're not allowed to complete the survey.
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    All the survey's I've been sent by EA start out with the "Your Age" section. Once I fill in my age, without fail, every time, I get the "thanks for participating" message, even though I've not even filled anything out, and then the survey ends.
    There's no info to keep track of, if that's their standard MO, only the - "wow, you're over 35? 🐸🐸🐸🐸 you can't play games or take this survey!" report.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    TerrylinTerrylin Posts: 4,846 Member
    edited May 2015
    All the survey's I've been sent by EA start out with the "Your Age" section. Once I fill in my age, without fail, every time, I get the "thanks for participating" message, even though I've not even filled anything out, and then the survey ends.
    There's no info to keep track of, if that's their standard MO, only the - "wow, you're over 35? 🐸🐸🐸🐸 you can't play games or take this survey!" report.

Same here! Except I haven't received another survey since I put my age in the first one. :/
    I guess people over 50 shouldn't play games nor answer surveys either!!

PS You are welcome EA for the thousands of dollars I have spent on your games in the past, BUT you wont be getting anymore from me in the future!! Being over 50 I do know when I am not wanted as a customer and have no problem of giving my money to another company who wants it and treats me better.
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Here is a list of the top 10 selling video games of 2014. I've looked at three different sites and so far they're pretty much in agreement:

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (360, XBO, PS4, PS3, PC)
    Madden NFL 15 (360, PS4, XBO, PS3)
    Destiny (XBO, PS4, 360, PS3)
    Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3)
    Minecraft (360, PS3, XBO, PS4)
    Super Smash Bros. (3DS, NWU)
    NBA 2K15 (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3, PC)
    Watch Dogs (PS4, XBO, 360, PS3, PC, NWU)
    FIFA 15 (360, PS4, XBO, PS3, Wii, 3DS, PSV)
    Call Of Duty: Ghosts (360, PS3, XBO, PS4, NWU, PC)

I haven't seen one site that shows 4 in the top 10. But I'm still looking.
    The ESA report says the same at page 13. See http://www.theesa.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/ESA-Essential-Facts-2015.pdf

But it still has the Sims 4 as the best selling computer game in 2014.

What makes this report more convincing for me than other earlier reports is that it doesn't just compare sales in physical stores. It also counts digital downloads. You should read the whole report.
  • Options
    Jaline33Jaline33 Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited May 2015
    Terrylin wrote: »

Same here! Except I haven't received another survey since I put my age in the first one. :/
    I guess people over 50 shouldn't play games nor answer surveys either!!

PS You are welcome EA for the thousands of dollars I have spent on your games in the past, BUT you wont be getting anymore from me in the future!! Being over 50 I do know when I am not wanted as a customer and have no problem of giving my money to another company who wants it and treats me better.

I agree with you and Pary, Terrylin. I remember when I first got into SimCity - I actually received a nice card from Maxis thanking me for buying their game. Now, we don't even rate a comment in their surveys. I guess my first clue should have been when the Sims first aged from Adult to Elder - that sort of tells the story of how they view anyone close to middle age and above - lol

As for the stats - I have seen other stats showing the top 15 selling PC games worldwide as of February 2015. The Sims is in #1 spot, The Sims 3 is in #4 spot, and The Sims: Unleashed is in #12 spot. It's hard to believe The Sims 2 isn't on the list at all - if I recall, #15 place sold 3.6 units so that would mean that The Sims 2 sold less than that worldwide - and so has The Sims 4. That definitely surprised me as I know a lot of people bought it right off the hop to determine for themselves what direction the game might be headed. I really expected that there were more of us worldwide - B)

Edited to add source of statistics I quoted: http://www.statista.com/statistics/275226/best-selling-pc-games-of-all-time-worldwide/

• Options
    BarghaestBarghaest Posts: 168 Member
    Okay, I'm confused about a few things.... Skyrim is cross-platform (a friend has it on console), so that means JUST the PC/Mac sales of Skyrim made it pretty high on the list. So, were there no console sales for it last year? And did Sims 4 beat out the PC/Mac sales of games on the Video Game list (like COD or Watchdogs) or did anything on that list just get ignored for Computer Game part?

It's questions like these that make statistics like those iffy to me. That, plus the fact that digital sales aren't tracked (which means my purchase of the Sims 4 isn't on that list.. nor any game I've bought in the last decade or so since I stopped buying hardcopies because digital downloads are more convenient).

This is akin to just tracking movie ticket sales for premieres in Hollywood to determine if a movie is a success or not...
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    WolfEyes wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    WolfEyes wrote: »
    http://www.inquisitr.com/2130963/the-sims-4-officially-the-highest-selling-game-of-2014-despite-lukewarm-fan-reaction/

Anybody read that?

They mentioned the get to school mod at the end which I found interesting. I don't know anything about this company, just found the article interesting.
    It says we all owe EA an apology. Well, I'm one of those buyers and I'm certainly not going to apologize.

If anyone owes an apology, EA/Franklin/Bradshaw owes us, the fans, an apology. They're the ones that screwed up, not us.
    That's what I meant ;)

Just clarifying for you. ;)
    Ok lol, I thought I hadn't made myself quite clear.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Today we saw The sims 4 at No.1 by end of the year we might see The Sims 4 and its EPs dominating the top 10 or 5 charts. The game is a huge success. EA is happy for sure.
    We might. But then again, we might not.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Today we saw The sims 4 at No.1 by end of the year we might see The Sims 4 and its EPs dominating the top 10 or 5 charts. The game is a huge success. EA is happy for sure.

Really? They're sure not acting like it. Everyone (and I use that loosely) seems to be calling TS4 a success except EA

Another thing that EA is considering is not to 🐸🐸🐸🐸 off those fans who still didnt buy the game. They dont want to brush their success on their faces, they just want them to give in which will they do eventually by offering the most wanted features that were missed or long time requested.

Those fans will also apologize to EA sooner than later. EA is very much determined to get their money.

What? Why would customers have to or even think they should apologize to EA for their lack luster game? I'm flabbergasted to even read that... O.O

I'm still waiting for them to apologize to their customers.

Misjudgment will lead to apology.
    EA misjudged its customers and they apologized already and will continue to do so by offering even more content than previous games. Customers also misjudged EA's product thinking because what was missing the game will not be enjoyable and those missing contents might never be there again. Eventually they will. At least the majority.

Many customers already apologized by buying the Sims 4 and making it the No.1 selling PC game of 2014.
    I bought Sims 4 on the day of release. Little did I know I was apologizing while doing so lol
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member

Really? They're sure not acting like it. Everyone (and I use that loosely) seems to be calling TS4 a success except EA

What? Why would customers have to or even think they should apologize to EA for their lack luster game? I'm flabbergasted to even read that... O.O

EA misjudged its customers and they apologized already and will continue to do so by offering even more content than previous games. Customers also misjudged EA's product thinking because what was missing the game will not be enjoyable and those missing contents might never be there again. Eventually they will. At least the majority.

Many customers already apologized by buying the Sims 4 and making it the No.1 selling PC game of 2014.
    I bought Sims 4 on the day of release. Little did I know I was apologizing while doing so lol
    So now WE're supposed to apologize to EA for their mistakes?! What a joke.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • Options
    xBob18 wrote: »

So now WE're supposed to apologize to EA for their mistakes?! What a joke.
    Yes, this quote says it perfectly lol:
    Anavastia wrote: »
    I didn't know consumers needed to be sorry for not giving ea their money lol.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Terrylin wrote: »

Top selling doesn't show the games that were returned in the Great games 24 hr period nor those of us who couldn't return the game (disc) and don't play it. Just because it sold doesn't mean everyone who bought it liked it and are still playing it. Those are the figures nobody has!!!

PS It doesn't make a very good coaster (hole in the center leaks) but flies great!! Reflects the sunlight when you twirl the disc outside! :p

Lets not make assumptions here. Those who assumed that the game will not sell are still living in denial. They are thinking day and night why the game that they never played or played for a day or less and did not like is selling so well and being No.1!

So take the facts for now and leave the assumptions. The fact is this game like all the previous sims games a hit for EA. Now who returned back the game and how many units were returned these are assumptions that nobody have any statistics for.

Just celebrate the huge success of the Sims 4 for now :)
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    We might. But then again, we might not.

I'm confident we will. Again that does not mean because of the good quality etc. But because the game is the only sim game and as a player you will always want to expand it to make it bigger and better.
    giphy.gif
  • Options

ha ha ha
    Not necessarily. Those who bought on the day of release they had faith in EA. Like me and you
    There are many other players who bought after the ghost addition and others after the pools addition.
    It is apology from both sides. It is more a kind of a make up.

But if you insist on it, then yea, you apologized too :p
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    domestictipudomestictipu Posts: 233 Member
    jcp011c2 wrote: »
    I would really like to see actual sales numbers. Not that I don't believe it I just would like hard numbers.

Not that it is actual Sims 4 numbers, but for comparison, World of Warcraft Warlords of Draenor sold 3.3 Million copies just on day one of it's release last fall and bumped up the subscriptions for WoW up to 10 million. As you may know, World of Warcraft Expansions are in a way mandatory to continue to play the game, so those subscription numbers may, or may not tell you something as well.

wedding%2Bhobo.png
  • Options
    AmiutzaAmiutza Posts: 1,796 Member
    I would really like to see actual sales numbers. Not that I don't believe it I just would like hard numbers.

Not that it is actual Sims 4 numbers, but for comparison, World of Warcraft Warlords of Draenor sold 3.3 Million copies just on day one of it's release last fall and bumped up the subscriptions for WoW up to 10 million. As you may know, World of Warcraft Expansions are in a way mandatory to continue to play the game, so those subscription numbers may, or may not tell you something as well.

Well as far as I've heard, they lost a lot if people in the long run. I had bought it, played for a month, couldn't stand it anymore
    hhHD2XB.png
    My tumblr - A world of clutter and color
  • Options
    FoxcrestFoxcrest Posts: 348 Member

The list does not count digital sales and that 3.3 million number you listed right there is evidence. According to that list, 3.3 mil+ would've bought ESO and Sims 3: Starter Pack and that is downright false. ESO never reached those numbers in 2014
    775,000 subscribers
    The most ESO would've reached was in the 1 mil range

Also that many people bought the Sims 3 starter pack? I'm pretty sure EA would be blowing trumpets and letting the world know both Sims 3 and Sims 4 made over 3.3 mil in sales for 2014.

No, that list only counted physical sales which makes a lot more sense.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top