Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mod Manager Suggestions

FogityFogity Posts: 122 Member
Hi fellow simmers.

I am considering creating a mod manager for Sims 4 (I know there already exists a few, but none support mac).

In preparation I want to know what kind of features you would like to see, and how you'd like it to work.
I have many ideas myself, but hearing feedback from others is important.

Do not consider whether you think a feature could be done, or how much work would be needed to do it. I am in a much better position to do that, something you think would be hard could be very easy.

Here are some features I am considering, just to get you thinking:

* Simply drag a file to the program to install it.
* Ability to attach notes and links to a mod.
* Sorting, grouping and searching among the mods.
* View detailed information (contents of the mod).
* Conflict detection and troubleshooting.

Would love to hear your thoughts.
Played since The Sims 1 and now makes mods for The Sims 4:
Gender Less - Gender neutral pronouns and titles
Hidden Highlight - Removes the white outline
Unlocked CAS Parts - Unlocks hidden CAS items

Comments

• Options
    KittKat7147KittKat7147 Posts: 1,942 Member
    -Drag and drop is not needed now that Launcher is no more, you only have to drag and drop to Mods folder as it is
    -Notes and links are not a priority for me, personally at this point
    -Sorting, grouping, searching is TOP priority
    -viewing detailed information/contents of mod is high priority
    -conflict detection is high priority

Additional thoughts -
    Easy activation/inactivation of CC groups on launching (as in CC Magic) would be nice

Look forward to seeing your manager :D
  • Options
    ScumbumboScumbumbo Posts: 148 Member
    Yeah, a good solid (and multi-platform) mod manager would be great. Some options you probably considered but didn't list (the first one is already in Raxdiam's tool):

- Automatically detect a script mod and install properly. The latest mod manager would also detect a combination script/package in a zip file and install both files which is helpful.
    - Check the game options file when installing a script mod and warn the user they need to enable script mods.

Thumbs up for the other ideas, particularly for the text/links. Raxdiam and I discussed the possibility of being able to include a text file, maybe XML formatted or just a basic INI style file, that had stuff like a description, links, mod version numbers, possibly license info, recolor restrictions, etc. Might be overkill (Raxdiam thought so, particularly worried that mod authors wouldn't include the info) but I can see where it would be incredibly useful for authors and users as well and if done properly would eventually become a "norm".
  • Options
    Scumbumbo wrote: »
    - Automatically detect a script mod and install properly. The latest mod manager would also detect a combination script/package in a zip file and install both files which is helpful.
    - Check the game options file when installing a script mod and warn the user they need to enable script mods.
    Yeah, I that is on my list, but thanks for reminding me about enabling script mods, I'd likely add settings management to such a tool, so it might just as well enable script mods automatically when those are installed.
    Scumbumbo wrote: »
    Thumbs up for the other ideas, particularly for the text/links. Raxdiam and I discussed the possibility of being able to include a text file, maybe XML formatted or just a basic INI style file, that had stuff like a description, links, mod version numbers, possibly license info, recolor restrictions, etc. Might be overkill (Raxdiam thought so, particularly worried that mod authors wouldn't include the info) but I can see where it would be incredibly useful for authors and users as well and if done properly would eventually become a "norm".
    I have thought about this and some other stuff that require special files, and I think that the best way is to just add such a feature and the format will become standard. If I get a manager up and running I will probably add a couple of features that might radically change the way mods are created. But that would be in the future. Though I believe that a lot of information that is available (in the cas part resource for instance) is under-utilised in the current and past managers.

We will see what happens.
  • Options
    RaindropsRaindrops Posts: 389 Member
    edited June 2015
    *Being able to add cc while ingame
    *Attach links to a cc item
    Post edited by Raindrops on
    tumblr_oc39b9Vin11se7bv3o2_r1_500.gif
  • Options
    cheekychops2448cheekychops2448 Posts: 2 New Member
    > @green_mau said:
    > *Being able to add games while ingame
    > *Attach links to a cc item

Totally off subject but Ari looks amazing in this. <3
  • Options
    RaindropsRaindrops Posts: 389 Member
    edited June 2015
    > @green_mau said:
    > *Being able to add cc while ingame
    > *Attach links to a cc item

Totally off subject but Ari looks amazing in this.

ikr
    Post edited by Raindrops on
    tumblr_oc39b9Vin11se7bv3o2_r1_500.gif
  • Options
    TheSimPersonTheSimPerson Posts: 1 New Member
    Did you end up finishing the tracker?
  • Options
    TheMiningSlimeTheMiningSlime Posts: 11 New Member
    is there a mac version
  • Options
    Oops, long time since I logged in here. I have been busy with other stuff and also lost interest in modding/tool making these last months. This is a very periodic thing for me and I have things I value higher. So I can not promise I will ever complete this project. This is off course a hobby for me and won't do anything unless I feel like doing it. So do not wait for this to be done, it might never be.
  • Options
    AkeelneyAkeelney Posts: 115 Member
    Oh. I quite looked forward to this, but oh well.
  • Options
    pboxpbox Posts: 630 Member
    There are two different conflict detectors at mts meanwhile: One / Two.
    Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4
  • Options
    amxlixamxlix Posts: 5 New Member
    - lists the .package files (CC) that you used for a certain Sim.
    - So, a list down the side of all your saved sims and then for each sim it would have a list of the custom content used on that sim at the current time.
  • Options
    ErasimusErasimus Posts: 64 Member
    @amxlix, there is a tool that can do what you ask. It's called Sims 4 Tray Importer. You can obtain it here: http://luniversims.com/files/file/73-sims-4-tray-importer/. I think you need to register before downloading, but registration is free. Hope that helps.