Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Organisation....

2...Next

Comments

• sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Well there is the mod manager: http://modthesims.info/d/534991

I do have separate folders organizing my mods and CCs. Like folder for hair, makeup, outfits, etc. in the mod folder itself.

You can put them in folders within the Mod folder and they will still work?

Yes, like I said above you just have to edit the resource.cfg file to look deeper so it recognizes the files :)

Do what to the who? How?

There's a link earlier in this topic to how.

That sounds so complicated. I'm pretty good with computers, but this is something it sounds like you need to know how to write code to do.

All you have to do is open a file in notepad, copy and paste the text into it, and save.

Huh - do you put the notepad into your mods folder - I'm not understanding this at all now.

There's a file in your Mods folder called resource.cfg.

Right-click on it to open it in Notepad (or a similar text-editor if you're on a Mac) - it's like Word, but super-basic and doesn't add anything hidden to files.

Copy and paste the new text in, and save the file.

So I just type resource.cfg in notepad and it makes the sub-folder for me?

Open the existing file named resource.cfg in Notepad.

Copy this into it, replacing the existing text:

Priority 500
    PackedFile *.package
    PackedFile */*.package
    PackedFile */*/*.package
    PackedFile */*/*/*.package
    PackedFile */*/*/*/*.package
    PackedFile */*/*/*/*/*.package

This won't actually make the subfolders for you, but it will recognize the subfolders you *do* make, no matter how you name them. (I have subfolders for different kinds of build, buy, and CAS content, personally.)

I finally figured out how to open it in notepad, so I type all that stuff and it makes folders for me. BTW - I have 2 resource.cfg files, which one do I use?

I'm sure either would work, but if you are unsure you can pull the mods folder out, start the game and it will regenerate a new one.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member

I do have separate folders organizing my mods and CCs. Like folder for hair, makeup, outfits, etc. in the mod folder itself.

Yes, like I said above you just have to edit the resource.cfg file to look deeper so it recognizes the files :)

Do what to the who? How?

That sounds so complicated. I'm pretty good with computers, but this is something it sounds like you need to know how to write code to do.

All you have to do is open a file in notepad, copy and paste the text into it, and save.

Huh - do you put the notepad into your mods folder - I'm not understanding this at all now.

Right-click on it to open it in Notepad (or a similar text-editor if you're on a Mac) - it's like Word, but super-basic and doesn't add anything hidden to files.

Priority 500
    PackedFile *.package
    PackedFile */*.package
    PackedFile */*/*.package

This won't actually make the subfolders for you, but it will recognize the subfolders you *do* make, no matter how you name them. (I have subfolders for different kinds of build, buy, and CAS content, personally.)

I finally figured out how to open it in notepad, so I type all that stuff and it makes folders for me. BTW - I have 2 resource.cfg files, which one do I use?

How did you end up with two in the Mods folder? Delete one. You only need one, and you don't want them conflicting. That could be messy :/

Glad this is working for you :)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member

Do what to the who? How?

Priority 500
    PackedFile *.package
    PackedFile */*.package
    PackedFile */*/*.package

How did you end up with two in the Mods folder? Delete one. You only need one, and you don't want them conflicting. That could be messy :/

What is working all I did was open the file in notepad. I don't know what to do to make the sub-folders. Do I just copy and past that stuff above into the mod folder and then it makes the subfolder - if I do it in notepad how does it get into my mods folder.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member

Do what to the who? How?

Priority 500
    PackedFile *.package
    PackedFile */*.package
    PackedFile */*/*.package

What is working all I did was open the file in notepad. I don't know what to do to make the sub-folders. Do I just copy and past that stuff above into the mod folder and then it makes the subfolder - if I do it in notepad how does it get into my mods folder.

Copy and paste that stuff in the resource.cfg file, save that file, and close it.

To make new subfolders in Windows, right-click inside the folder and select New > folder
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.

Do what to the who? How?

Priority 500
    PackedFile *.package
    PackedFile */*.package
    PackedFile */*/*.package

Copy and paste that stuff in the resource.cfg file, save that file, and close it.

To make new subfolders in Windows, right-click inside the folder and select New > folder

Maybe I should keep the extra resource.cfg in case I mess it up.
  • sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member

Do what to the who? How?

Priority 500
    PackedFile *.package
    PackedFile */*.package
    PackedFile */*/*.package

Maybe I should keep the extra resource.cfg in case I mess it up.

Like I just mentioned, the game recreates a new one for you if you remove the mods folder.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • MunchyMunchy Posts: 513 Member
    Hi! I took some pictures for (hopefully) better understanding! I'm on a Mac so our 'Notepad' is TextEdit! They're basically the same thing.

fvwy88.png

So I've already replaced the text. It should look like what I have here.
    1r3srn.png

You have to create the subfolders on you own! Mine looks like this!
    wi3vw1.png

Good luck guys! x
  • Raynic781Raynic781 Posts: 205 Member
    Wow, I need to go do this now. Sounds simple enough.
  • TheBlaireWitchTheBlaireWitch Posts: 762 Member
    Munchy wrote: »
    WELL. Apparently i put my Manga studio folder in with my mods.....

Hahaha but I doubt that is what is breaking your game?

Oh. It was. Haha. It was also some stupid bath bomb mod/mesh that came in a dump.

• Raynic781Raynic781 Posts: 205 Member
    This reminds me of the time where I somehow put almost all of the applications that were on my desktop in my Mods folder. My game wouldn't load and I was so mad until I saw my desktop was empty.
  • TheBlaireWitchTheBlaireWitch Posts: 762 Member
    Raynic781 wrote: »
    This reminds me of the time where I somehow put almost all of the applications that were on my desktop in my Mods folder. My game wouldn't load and I was so mad until I saw my desktop was empty.

Hahaha sounds like me last night. I put a bunch of stuff into a folder and realised that it wasn't my mods folder, it was my downloads folder. Sigh
    Well, I don't know if I did it right yet as the only game on this laptop I am on is The Living Legend Challenge (can't use mods or cc for it) and my building game.

I'll have to do this on my SSD laptop and open an active game to see if everything works.
    @munchy Yes I have a couple of script mods and they work.

Hi @Simasaurus09 , I was wondering if you could help me out since you've mentioned that your script mods still works in sub-folders.

I have changed my 'Resource.cfg' file accordingly and placed my Command Center mod in my sub-folder that is 3 levels deep. Meaning, It is placed in Mods > Mods > [Deaderpool] MC Command Center.

Unfortunately, my game does not recognize it. :(

fns7eq.png

As shown in screenshot, I basically just threw in all Command Center related files into the same folder. I'm not sure if I'm not suppose to. Hopefully you could advise me! :sweat_smile:

Thank you so much! x
  • FogityFogity Posts: 122 Member
    Script mods apparently only works directly in the mods folder and one level deep. This can not be changed in the Resource.cfg file.
    Played since The Sims 1 and now makes mods for The Sims 4:
    Gender Less - Gender neutral pronouns and titles
    Hidden Highlight - Removes the white outline
    Unlocked CAS Parts - Unlocks hidden CAS items
    Fogity wrote: »
    Script mods apparently only works directly in the mods folder and one level deep. This can not be changed in the Resource.cfg file.

Thanks for the info! :D

Right. Hmmm... That's a shame because that would make my mods folder rather messy!