Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Am I the only one who's bored..?

Comments

• CharityHopeCharityHope Posts: 570 Member
    I am bored with the game. I came here hoping to see what other people were doing, but it seems everyone else is in the same boat.
  • HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    After I left create a Sim and started playing the first time I was bored of it.

Good to see you gave the game a good solid chance :)
    But let's be honest, why should a game need 'a chance'?
    I remember starting playing Sims 3 and really questioning my own mental health at one point because I just couldn't get it out of my head or stop playing. After that I just accepted my addiction and simply enjoyed it ;)

A little true story...

Funnily enough, I bought this game on a bit of a whim last Black Friday sale. I have always avoided The Sims because, well - I'll be honest, I am a bit of a snobby gamer and I sorta looked down on it.

It was simply curiosity that made me want to take a look and the concept of a simulation is something I always found interesting. I fired the game up, made a sim - which was fun - started actually playing...I had been playing for about 20 mins and I just went 'Nah', quit the game and played something else.

About a week later, I thought, 'I paid a decent amount of brass for this...' Fired it up again - Origin now shows me at about 1300 hours.

So yeah, always worth giving something a chance.
    Actually that's a bit similar to how I started playing Sims 3 lol
    Not because I'm a snobby gamer but not a gamer at all and it sounded boring to me. Never planned to like it, let alone love it. The game has you hooked then like Sims 3 hooked me ;)

I gave this game a chance btw, but will give it a second one when I have a new computer that doesn't cause the game to crash all the time.

FWIW, I think it is worth it if you approach the game on it's own terms and just do stuff in it! It kind of grabs you. I have found it can be deeper than what it first appears. I am not saying that will be true for everyone, but for my playstyle, I keep coming across hidden depths.

As for now being a Sims player, yeah my fellow gamer friends smirk at me :)

Since this thread is now resurrected...I want to say that when I first bought the game, I tried playing it the way I have always played the sims - I start out with one or more single YA's that end up married and having children. The jobs were very repetitive and not very interesting to me but I slogged away at them. When they started having kids, I couldn't get used to the object babies at all, and no matter how cute the interactions might be they are limited and repetitive and the fact that the sims put the baby down in between each one just made it seem that much more like an object rather than a sim. The kids were cute, but when one of them aged up to teen, he had that square face template bug. He looked like a burly YA with a paunch and a fedora, and looked older than his dad. I stopped playing for a long time after that. I just felt so distanced from these sims and this game. Instead of a participant in their digital world, I felt like I was just an observer, and didn't really bond with them at all.

Earlier this month I started playing one YA female sim who had the fishing aspiration. She didn't have a job; I took her to almost every area and neighborhood of both worlds to explore fishing spots and collect plants, rocks, frogs, etc. She could fish with the produce and frogs, or sell it to make money. It was a lot more enjoyable than the first go around with this game, and I played it for several weeks. But now she has collected all the fish and achieved her aspiration. I gave her the botanist one now but she's already level 7 in gardening and it's harder to do the tasks because she already has a large garden. And already I'm getting bored again because all the collecting and gardening is getting repetitive and boring. Not to mention that several times a day, her friends come knocking on her door even when I have other things for her to do! (Sometimes I ignore them.)

So now I haven't played in a week or so and I'm regretting picking up OR (sent her there once camping, wasn't too impressed) and haven't even tried to do anything with GTW yet. I did pick up both with gift cards or at a discount, since I do not feel the game is worth the price they are asking for it, and after the recent comments in that article on family play I am feeling rather disgusted and depressed. I will dabble with GTW one of these days just to try it out, but from the online videos I've seen it doesn't look that interesting to me right now. I haven't purchased the SP and right now I can't see me buying anything else for this game. I would love it if they would surprise me but so far it doesn't look like the game is ever going to offer the things I loved the most about the Sims games.

If someone has never played any of the previous sims games, and/or they like to play in ways that fit this version of the game, then I can see how they might enjoy it. But it doesn't hold a candle to the previous versions, IMO, and this version doesn't appear to have much replay value for me. I can't see myself playing another fishersim, for example, because it just wouldn't be that interesting to do it again.

I don't think EA wants the expense of creating a life simulation game any more and they will eventually come out with a console and tablet version of this game. I feel like that is what it was designed for in the first place, so if they ever get the bugs fixed it might do well in those formats. But I will continue to mourn the loss of my favorite game. Granted, I still have the older versions and will probably play them again eventually, but I wanted to like this new version and I just don't think it was well made at all. I am very disappointed. :'(

The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Pyur_JeniusPyur_Jenius Posts: 101 Member
    I am bored with the game. I came here hoping to see what other people were doing, but it seems everyone else is in the same boat.

Hi, Charity. Well, at least it's getting us long-time lurkers on the forum and chatting. :smile:
    Jaz_in_SG-captioned%20copy_zps0ecd2f78.jpg

Greed destroys everything it touches.
    Gallery Link: PyurJenius
  • DaemonPawsDaemonPaws Posts: 192 Member
    I get really bored between expansion releases. I'm that sort of person that gets new content for games (MMOs, too) and digests all the meaty content as fast as I can get to it. Then I have to sort of "make my own fun" until the next expansion and my next gaming binge. I played through all the new features in OR and then GTW... Unfortunately, the new stuff pack didn't have much in the way of meaty content to digest. I ended up buying it because I liked some of the additions.

Now, I play a couple hours a day trying to get my main sim through all of the ambitions. I've been using her points to buy youth potions, but eventually she is going to start feeding her children to cow plants to devour their life force.

I am hoping for a substantial ep to be announced and released soon, or maybe another silly challenge for the community in the meantime. I am, however, about 500% ready for something new to be added to the game.
    Origin - DaemonPaws
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member

Except the people posting in Favorite Screenshots, or in the Creative Corner, or over on Tumblr, or ... If you come to "I'm bored" topics, you'll find bored people. There are people enjoying the game elsewhere.

(I would be tonight, but I'm working, and popping in here on mini-breaks. Working Sunday night is pretty plum.)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    After I left create a Sim and started playing the first time I was bored of it.

Good to see you gave the game a good solid chance :)
    But let's be honest, why should a game need 'a chance'?
    I remember starting playing Sims 3 and really questioning my own mental health at one point because I just couldn't get it out of my head or stop playing. After that I just accepted my addiction and simply enjoyed it ;)

A little true story...

Funnily enough, I bought this game on a bit of a whim last Black Friday sale. I have always avoided The Sims because, well - I'll be honest, I am a bit of a snobby gamer and I sorta looked down on it.

It was simply curiosity that made me want to take a look and the concept of a simulation is something I always found interesting. I fired the game up, made a sim - which was fun - started actually playing...I had been playing for about 20 mins and I just went 'Nah', quit the game and played something else.

About a week later, I thought, 'I paid a decent amount of brass for this...' Fired it up again - Origin now shows me at about 1300 hours.

So yeah, always worth giving something a chance.
    Actually that's a bit similar to how I started playing Sims 3 lol
    Not because I'm a snobby gamer but not a gamer at all and it sounded boring to me. Never planned to like it, let alone love it. The game has you hooked then like Sims 3 hooked me ;)

I gave this game a chance btw, but will give it a second one when I have a new computer that doesn't cause the game to crash all the time.

FWIW, I think it is worth it if you approach the game on it's own terms and just do stuff in it! It kind of grabs you. I have found it can be deeper than what it first appears. I am not saying that will be true for everyone, but for my playstyle, I keep coming across hidden depths.

As for now being a Sims player, yeah my fellow gamer friends smirk at me :)

......Earlier this month I started playing one YA female sim who had the fishing aspiration. She didn't have a job; I took her to almost every area and neighborhood of both worlds to explore fishing spots and collect plants, rocks, frogs, etc. She could fish with the produce and frogs, or sell it to make money. It was a lot more enjoyable than the first go around with this game, and I played it for several weeks. But now she has collected all the fish and achieved her aspiration. I gave her the botanist one now but she's already level 7 in gardening and it's harder to do the tasks because she already has a large garden. And already I'm getting bored again because all the collecting and gardening is getting repetitive and boring. Not to mention that several times a day, her friends come knocking on her door even when I have other things for her to do! (Sometimes I ignore them.)

.....I will dabble with GTW one of these days just to try it out, but from the online videos I've seen it doesn't look that interesting to me right now. I haven't purchased the SP and right now I can't see me buying anything else for this game. I would love it if they would surprise me but so far it doesn't look like the game is ever going to offer the things I loved the most about the Sims games.

If someone has never played any of the previous sims games, and/or they like to play in ways that fit this version of the game, then I can see how they might enjoy it. But it doesn't hold a candle to the previous versions, IMO, and this version doesn't appear to have much replay value for me. I can't see myself playing another fishersim, for example, because it just wouldn't be that interesting to do it again.

.....Granted, I still have the older versions and will probably play them again eventually, but I wanted to like this new version and I just don't think it was well made at all. I am very disappointed. :'(

I actually came to TS4 with the intention of playing it differently. I have given it an embarrassing number of hours to engage me and even dared it to engage me, worked at being engaged, but there is just no way. And i'm with you, there is no way i'm handing over more funds in a futile attempt to salvage my initial investment. I'm just cutting my loss because i'm certain i'll have just as much or more fun simply watching the videos of the EPs on Youtube. Sad day.

• TeresitaTeresita Posts: 630 Member
    I'm so bored of this game that I sometimes go on this forum to see if there is something new but there is nothing like what the gameplay has. Nothing.

Except the people posting in Favorite Screenshots, or in the Creative Corner, or over on Tumblr, or ... If you come to "I'm bored" topics, you'll find bored people. There are people enjoying the game elsewhere.

(I would be tonight, but I'm working, and popping in here on mini-breaks. Working Sunday night is pretty plum.)

@luthienrising Please, (no sarcasm here) tell us how you are managing to enjoy TS4. How are you playing the game that actually makes it satisfying and absorbing? I've tried everything i can think of but i'm finding it so empty.

(And, btw, that's not because it's the base game, the previous base games all engaged me for a very long time before i had any inkling of adding any expansion.)

• olyanaesmeolyanaesme Posts: 338 Member
    Omg why did this thread get commented on again? This honestly doesn't really help with the boredom so there is honestly no point! But anyways, I know I started this thread, but I wanted to say most of my boredom is gone! I've been having fun with TS4 and playing it pretty much everyday for at least an hour. Im glad I've began to like it again :)
    we way too young to get old <3
    olyanaesme wrote: »
    Omg why did this thread get commented on again? This honestly doesn't really help with the boredom so there is honestly no point! But anyways, I know I started this thread, but I wanted to say most of my boredom is gone! I've been having fun with TS4 and playing it pretty much everyday for at least an hour. Im glad I've began to like it again :)

@olyanaesme - No offense, but i disagree that there's no point. If EA cares at all to keep making any money off of this franchise they need feedback and this is the place they've provided for us to give it. I'm running a bit behind on my feedback because of a move, but i think it's still valid. I'm glad you are enjoying it for an hour a day, but the previous versions (even at just this point after release) held you much longer, didn't they? And this is supposed to be a step forward.

So, can you tell me how to play this version that will make it enjoyable? I have tried and tried and tried.

@olyanaesme - No offense, but i disagree that there's no point. If EA cares at all to keep making any money off of this franchise they need feedback and this is the place they've provided for us to give it. I'm running a bit behind on my feedback because of a move, but i think it's still valid. I'm glad you are enjoying it for an hour a day, but the previous versions (even at just this point after release) held you much longer, didn't they? And this is supposed to be a step forward.

So, can you tell me how to play this version that will make it enjoyable? I have tried and tried and tried.

I honestly don't know why I am enjoying it now. I am still playing it the same way I have always done it. Maybe that's how it is with games, you can like playing it all the time. Anyways, I started a new save, spent hours in CAS, creating three sims that are not related to each other, tweaking their looks and personalities to every last detail. This really does help me enjoy the game more, when there is more depth to the sims. I also think creating a backstory for them helps you have more fun with it. I created a small house, personalized their rooms, and just played. I got two of them active careers and have been rotating with them. I've had a lot of love triangles-- and believe it or not, I really love the drama! I think creating stories, imagining, and just making up as you go really helps increase the fun. :p Sorry that was so long..Im a bit of a ranter lol
    > @Pyur_Jenius said:
    > CharityHope wrote: »
    >
    > I am bored with the game. I came here hoping to see what other people were doing, but it seems everyone else is in the same boat.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hi, Charity. Well, at least it's getting us long-time lurkers on the forum and chatting. :smile:

Hi Pyur! That's true. :D
    > @luthienrising said:
    >
    > I am bored with the game. I came here hoping to see what other people were doing, but it seems everyone else is in the same boat.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Except the people posting in Favorite Screenshots, or in the Creative Corner, or over on Tumblr, or ... If you come to "I'm bored" topics, you'll find bored people. There are people enjoying the game elsewhere.
    >
    > (I would be tonight, but I'm working, and popping in here on mini-breaks. Working Sunday night is pretty plum.)

Um, this isn't the only thread I have looked at. :/

I honestly don't know why I am enjoying it now. I am still playing it the same way I have always done it. Maybe that's how it is with games, you can like playing it all the time. Anyways, I started a new save, spent hours in CAS, creating three sims that are not related to each other, tweaking their looks and personalities to every last detail. This really does help me enjoy the game more, when there is more depth to the sims. I also think creating a backstory for them helps you have more fun with it. I created a small house, personalized their rooms, and just played. I got two of them active careers and have been rotating with them. I've had a lot of love triangles-- and believe it or not, I really love the drama! I think creating stories, imagining, and just making up as you go really helps increase the fun. :p Sorry that was so long..Im a bit of a ranter lol

No, not long at all. Thanks. I wish i could find the magic, i came to the game wanting and expecting to love it, but just can't. It has stellar mechanics and graphics but the soul is missing. I've tried the story thing a bit, too, but keep finding it becoming a repetitive grind. I just feel that i should not have to work to play, that's what i paid EA for. Ah, well, i hope you keep enjoying it.

No, not long at all. Thanks. I wish i could find the magic, i came to the game wanting and expecting to love it, but just can't. It has stellar mechanics and graphics but the soul is missing. I've tried the story thing a bit, too, but keep finding it becoming a repetitive grind. I just feel that i should not have to work to play, that's what i paid EA for. Ah, well, i hope you keep enjoying it.

Thank you. Don't worry, I was stuck in a rut for quite a while. I hope you will be able to have fun with it someday. :)
    > @luthienrising said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Except the people posting in Favorite Screenshots, or in the Creative Corner, or over on Tumblr, or ... If you come to "I'm bored" topics, you'll find bored people. There are people enjoying the game elsewhere.
    >
    > (I would be tonight, but I'm working, and popping in here on mini-breaks. Working Sunday night is pretty plum.)

Um, this isn't the only thread I have looked at. :/

@CharityHope - Yep, i actually keep finding these threads about the boredom when i search for information on how to find it not boring, lol!

• luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member

@luthienrising Please, (no sarcasm here) tell us how you are managing to enjoy TS4. How are you playing the game that actually makes it satisfying and absorbing? I've tried everything i can think of but i'm finding it so empty.

(And, btw, that's not because it's the base game, the previous base games all engaged me for a very long time before i had any inkling of adding any expansion.)

I'm not you? Sorry, in all seriousness - I've done this explaining thing so many times since September and I've gotten tired of doing it. I just think we all don't enjoy the same things, nothing more than that in the end.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I enjoy the game and I don't get bored by it at all, but.. there are some things you can do too long they get tedious no matter what. This game.. any game.. after awhile. I do have to say if you are bored from the get go.. maybe you should put it down and try something else completely. It's not for you. Take a vacation from it, or leave it behind. Whatever you do has to engage your mind, and you have a responsibility there too. You have to cure your boredom, be diverse. Do different things.
    I am glad the OP found some joy here again, but this to me goes for everyone. I seriously don't get people that get bored either way.. and never have. I think the only times in my life I can remember being truly bored was at school when I was watching the clock. There are books to read, shows to watch, movies to go to, people to talk to and games to play. There are things to love. Mix it up.
    egTcBMc.png
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,836 Member

I don't think anyone can 'tell' you how to play so that you'll enjoy the game. I've played just about every day since the game was released and am far from being bored. I'm a goal-oriented single sim player though so maybe that's why I'm still having fun. I play with aging off and am still playing the same sim I created when I first loaded the game. My sim has already completed several careers. I get a thrill out of unlocking the career rewards. She has completed several different aspirations. With OR I was excited about finding and growing all the new harvestables and making the new potions. Currently she owns a bakery and is working towards training and promoting her employees and earning business perks.
    I tried to have her work as a doctor but had her quit so she could focus on the bakery. She still has the doctor, scientist, and detective careers to master. And I still have the photography skill to explore.

It's not all work though. On her days off she has friends over, dinner parties, or visits friends or community lots. That's why I am so hoping the next expansion pack will be some sort of hobby themed/recreational pack to give her more stuff to do on her days off. I enjoy playing and when I'm not playing I look forward to playing.

You might wonder why I'm not playing now. Because I'm reinstalling Sims 3. Not because I'm bored with Sims 4 but because I simply miss some of the features in Sims 3. Not the family play but a lot of gameplay, careers, achievements, etc, that I never experienced and I feel as if I left it undone. I never got my resort to a level 10. Didn't try all the college majors. And so much more. I guess that's a goal-oriented player for you. Plus there was so much content that towards the end it became overwhelming. I only spent a few days playing ITF. So now I've decided to reinstall base game and WA and take my time before installing the next EP.

The sims franchise could go belly up today and I would have enough to keep me occupied for a very long time. Did I mention I'm also playing Sims 2? :)
    Apparently i have tried everything, then, and it's "not for" me. Yes, i've "mix[ed] it up" i've played goal-oriented and all the rest. I came to it with an open mind expecting to play differently but i still don't like it. I don't mind a bit of repetition for unlocking excitement but it just takes too stinking long and too much repetition to get the least bit of excitement. There are just no surprises to it. I cannot find predictability any fun. So i guess it is "me".

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,836 Member
    Apparently i have tried everything, then, and it's "not for" me. Yes, i've "mix[ed] it up" i've played goal-oriented and all the rest. I came to it with an open mind expecting to play differently but i still don't like it. I don't mind a bit of repetition for unlocking excitement but it just takes too stinking long and too much repetition to get the least bit of excitement. There are just no surprises to it. I cannot find predictability any fun. So i guess it is "me".

Well, at least you gave it a try. :) There's always Sims 2 and Sims 3. Or maybe something totally different. I bought Farming Simulator a week ago and am also having fun with that.
  • kyliejean89kyliejean89 Posts: 31 Member
    You could always 'take a break' from the game and come back to it later. I find that boredom with most games are cyclical, for lack of a better word.
    You could always 'take a break' from the game and come back to it later. I find that boredom with most games are cyclical, for lack of a better word.

I wish that's all it was, then i wouldn't be on here searching for answers. A game is supposed to be "a break" but this one is more like work. This is a long-running franchise and this version does not engage nearly as well its predecessors when it should be an improvement in every way. The reason Sims 1-3, especially 1-2, were so successful was that they made people want to keep playing, not so with 4. That's kind of the point, it's the litmus test of a good game.

That's sort of a funny comment because it seems to assume that i just sit there playing through while completely bored. I wouldn't be here on the forums chatting if that's what i was doing, lol. I just can't stand the thought of not giving it a proper investigation and go before deciding i simply wasted my money and shelving it forever.

• BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member

You might wonder why I'm not playing now. Because I'm reinstalling Sims 3. Not because I'm bored with Sims 4 but because I simply miss some of the features in Sims 3. Not the family play but a lot of gameplay, careers, achievements, etc, that I never experienced and I feel as if I left it undone. I never got my resort to a level 10. Didn't try all the college majors. And so much more. I guess that's a goal-oriented player for you. Plus there was so much content that towards the end it became overwhelming. I only spent a few days playing ITF. So now I've decided to reinstall base game and WA and take my time before installing the next EP.

The sims franchise could go belly up today and I would have enough to keep me occupied for a very long time. Did I mention I'm also playing Sims 2? :)

Awesome! :) I like what you're going to do with sims 3. It's what I'm doing with sims 4, but it's giving me additional ideas with sims 3 as well....thank you
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
    > @Pyur_Jenius said:
    > Apparently i have tried everything, then, and it's "not for" me. Yes, i've "mix[ed] it up" i've played goal-oriented and all the rest. I came to it with an open mind expecting to play differently but i still don't like it. I don't mind a bit of repetition for unlocking excitement but it just takes too stinking long and too much repetition to get the least bit of excitement. There are just no surprises to it. I cannot find predictability any fun. So i guess it is "me".

I think it's just me too. Sadly, because I really wanted to love this game.