Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Build Mode Feedback for EA

Comments

• BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    @kristinemancuso Ah, good point, and I definitely get that perfectionist thing. :) Yes, brown should be recognizably brown unless it's the dark of night; I completely agree!

@aquilifer Good suggestion re: rotating the lot, probably the best workaround we've got at present. I like your idea of being able to forward time by smaller increments; that would really give us some great control. I understand re: the roofing tool - feel free to mention it anytime. :)

I've got a new request based on taking a look at pictures of the new Luxury stuff pack objects. In particular, I'm interested in the cube and using it in modern builds (I can see all kinds of applications), but I was disappointed to see how large it is. Since we can always size objects up (but not down), and I assume that trying to introduce size reductions would be too complex, I would like the dev team to consider making new decor objects smaller at their baseline.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Pyur_JeniusPyur_Jenius Posts: 101 Member
    It's a tiny thing, but i would love it if the lot sizes were listed in the information tab in build mode and the hover info on all lots.
    Jaz_in_SG-captioned%20copy_zps0ecd2f78.jpg

Greed destroys everything it touches.
    Gallery Link: PyurJenius
    It couldn't hurt! It is annoying not to see them when you hover over community lots. Once you're in build mode, you can double-check by saving your lot in the library; it shows the lot size before the save, so you can always cancel once you've seen it. It definitely would be better to be able to see it on the info tab.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
    Exactly, BryonyRae. That's an awful lot of work that could be so easily avoided so i can spend more time looking for aliens! :)

Maybe it would be more programming hassle than it's worth, but i'd also love to stop having to count bedrooms and bathrooms, too. :p

• SzonyeSzonye Posts: 2 New Member
    I have been working with two-story rooms like great halls and grand entries, and I have run into a few glitches.

First, I often get unexpected “Cannot use multiple floors” errors when trying to place windows on two-story walls. This seems related to the problems with uneven ground on some lots, and the details vary according to the location on the lot and the windows used.

For example, build three small rooms on the Oakenstead lot: one on the left edge of the lot (toward the cliff), one in the middle of the lot, and one on the right edge of the lot (toward the creek). Build three rooms directly above them, with floors. Build full-length windows on every wall, on both levels, then delete the floors. Some of the windows will vanish, and if you try to put them back you’ll get the “Cannot use multiple floors” error message. On the Oakenstead lot, the upstairs windows will vanish in the middle of the lot, and the downstairs windows may vanish on the right edge of the lot, depending on the exact windows used.

As a workaround, you can build a balcony on the upper level. Inside or outside doesn’t seem to matter; either way appears to square and level the walls so that the windows fit again. You can also fix the problem by building a basement under the multi-story room. You can actually level the entire lot by building a basement as large as possible and then deleting it, although that may cause slope problems on the outermost tile of the lot.

Second, indoor fences and spandrels tend to let roofs into the house, which creates problems for creating indoor balconies and alcoves. I’ve seen this mentioned elsewhere in this thread, but I didn’t notice it in the master index. The room integrity seems OK so long as the fences/spandrels don’t touch any other walls, but any room with a fence on one side lets the roofs in just like any other gap in the wall. Annoyingly, friezes and wall trim don’t seem to follow the same rules, so it’s easy to end up with a room where you can’t keep the roofs out but you also can’t put up trim.

Finally, I noticed that the game easily loses track of the room spaces when you edit an area with indoor balconies. You can create a balcony by drawing a fence upstairs and removing the floor from half of the room. The game will let you select the balcony area and the open area as two different rooms; you can move them, stretch them, and so forth. However, if you do any significant editing of the fences, spandrels, and walls, the game may forget that the open area is a room, and start treating it as disconnected walls instead. As a workaround, I have found that it helps to replace the floor every time you edit the room, and then remove the floor again when you’re done.
    @Szonye I was not able to recreate your "Cannot use multiple floors" error on Oakenstead. I probably just need more specific information; even better if you could post a screen shot or two, but if not, please let me know what level height you are using for each floor and which window(s) you are using. I'm assuming you're working with bb.moveobjects on... It definitely sounds like it could be related to the lot slope issue, in which case, it will probably be fixed when they fix that particular issue, so I am not inclined to list it separately unless it can be reproduced on lots that don't have the slope issue.

We do have the spandrels request under the Décor category: •10/26/14 Let us select spandrel piece styles so that we can put a particular shape of spandrel where we want it. Also, let us place them indoors without the game deciding that it's now an outdoor space, i.e. roof pops into room.
    I think the fencing was covered by this request: •4/11/15 Add ability to create a loft without roofing clipping into the area (because it doesn't recognize it as a room) (requested by Cerrydd). The game seems to be touchy about room recognition/retention in general, especially if you're going for unusual shapes. I've been fighting with that in my current build. Good tip about replacing the floor and then removing it for changes!
  • SzonyeSzonye Posts: 2 New Member
    Aha, those do sound like the same issues.

I will see if I can get more specific information about the window problems in Oakenstead. Not sure how to do screenshots here, but I will see what I can come up with. In my own builds, I was using medium height floors, with medium height windows. Mostly the plain sheet windows that fill up the entire height of the wall, and the wrought iron windows that are slightly less than full height.
    @Szonye Oh, I can see you are still considered a "New Member" on the forums, so you won't be able to post images yet. However, you can just type the html link for them; just put a space between the h and ttp, and I can grab the link and post the image for you.
    edited May 2015
    Just wanted to note that the following request has been fulfilled (not sure as of which patch):

[*] 10/2/14 Make low fencing routable (requested by hmsdrco2001)

The following fences are now routable:
    • Low Stone Wall
    • Wrought Iron Fence
    • Fence for Window Shopping (Get To Work)
    • Curved Iron Fence

• RyeCris16RyeCris16 Posts: 2,293 Member
    edited May 2015
    YAY! It's great to hear that low fences are routable. Thanks for that Bry! :smiley:

OK, I have some requests to follow and bugs to notice:
    * OK, while Agave Abode in Oasis Springs fixed the foundation graphic glitch, it's still glitching as it happens now in one side of the lot and not on the other. It's not on the latest patch (I believe it's either on pre-GTW, post GTW, or on Star Wars patch). I'm so sorry for the laziness.
    M5AHqze.png

PS: It's now applied on Cypress Terrace in Willow Creek too!
    r2t47sb.png

* Since the Star Wars patch fixed the bad gallery shot, it's still kinda bad for me as the bush blocked the beautiful view when it's in far shot. This was on Oakenstead in Willow Creek (At least it's only my opinion). EDIT: Lot Name Error! :flushed:
    xqD4FW9.png

* Modern windows, such as Energy King, Modern Awning, Tête-á-Tête, and Quadruple Awning has swapped with the color palette. This was a glitch a long time ago (I'm so sorry again for just reported it due to laziness).
    Gm6wO3P.pngdIO7D4w.png
    qVPj0mJ.pngCgmgpow.png

* Let us edit the gallery description in our creations while they were uploaded. In that way, we don't need to remove from upload to edit and re-upload. In case of what tags we'd missed or wanna add. ;)
    Post edited by RyeCris16 on
    EA ID: RyeCris16 | Tags: #RyeCris16
    @RyeCris16 Sorry it took me so long to respond!

I believe the foundation issues on Agave Abode and Cypress Terrace are caused by the same slope issue that prevents people from adding floor tiles (see here). I didn't originally have Agave Abode on the list for that bug, but I can see it's got it now; just build fountains on the right hand portion of the lot, and the floor tiles get deleted and can't be replaced. Creating a basement underneath the lot and then deleting it fixes the flooring and foundation (as it does for all of the affected lots).

Yeah, the gallery shots are improved in most cases, but they are still far from perfect, and we are still requesting the ability to take our own gallery shots.

I will add the color palette issue - thanks for providing the images of it!

That's a good request re: editing on the gallery, although I can imagine it's probably actually difficult to implement (and I'd be afraid of some loophole where someone else could edit your lot! I suppose that's a bit cynical of me. :p ).
  • RyeCris16RyeCris16 Posts: 2,293 Member
    No worries, Bry! I completely understand how hectic about your challenge that you host, but it's great that you responded it, thanks for that! :smiley:
    BryonyRae wrote: »
    @RyeCris16 Sorry it took me so long to respond!

I believe the foundation issues on Agave Abode and Cypress Terrace are caused by the same slope issue that prevents people from adding floor tiles (see here). I didn't originally have Agave Abode on the list for that bug, but I can see it's got it now; just build fountains on the right hand portion of the lot, and the floor tiles get deleted and can't be replaced. Creating a basement underneath the lot and then deleting it fixes the flooring and foundation (as it does for all of the affected lots).
    Yeah, I saw that one too! I just experienced it while I'm currently building a Colonial house, which was built on Oakenstead, and I got a same problem regarding a sloped ground when building a basement. I really hope the gurus would fix this ASAP. :)
    Yeah, the gallery shots are improved in most cases, but they are still far from perfect, and we are still requesting the ability to take our own gallery shots.
    I agree! We really need to have a freedom on posting our own screenshot for out build.
    I will add the color palette issue - thanks for providing the images of it!
    You're welcome! Thanks for adding it! :)
    That's a good request re: editing on the gallery, although I can imagine it's probably actually difficult to implement (and I'd be afraid of some loophole where someone else could edit your lot! I suppose that's a bit cynical of me. :p ).
    Yeah, I remember in career (MOO) patch, we can edit the description on other creations, but the removed the ability in some patches (I can't remember what patch). And yes, it may be difficult to implement, but hope it's possible. ;)

I have another bug I've noticed:
    *In Patterned Plaster wall pattern, if you choose the blue color, a binary code showed up as wall_V_Plaster03Panels_Blue, yikes! :scream:
    cFKbQBr.png
    EA ID: RyeCris16 | Tags: #RyeCris16
    RyeCris16 wrote: »
    *In Patterned Plaster wall pattern, if you choose the blue color, a binary code showed up as wall_V_Plaster03Panels_Blue, yikes! :scream:
    cFKbQBr.png

Added, thanks!
  • Tiki5872Tiki5872 Posts: 3,115 Member
    Hello, I have something to add that I did not see on the first page list (not to say it is not there and I did not see it! LOL) This is in rgards to windows. They need to make all windows available in all the exact same colors/color combonations a across the entire window catagory! I have run across this issue before, but I am having a really frustrating time of it on my current build.

Bry, thanks for putting all of this together! Looks like just about everything is covered! I do hope EA/Maxis really looks into all these suggestions.
    NewBanner.jpg
    Origin ID: Tiki5872
  • gmcroziergmcrozier Posts: 1,078 Member
    edited June 2015
    I have a gripe..... I am currently working on a "starter challenge" When I went to place the stairs, I went with the cheapest stairs, "Sturdy stairs" it says $5 in the build library, but it cost $209 to place. That is 1 tile wide and it is only going up to the lowest deck setting. That's not right :s All of the prices are wrong except for "Ladder-Like stairway", "Modern Floating stairway" and "Industrial Strength Railing System" If they are going to include the cost of walls when placing the stairs it should be included in the build library price
  • Talea12345Talea12345 Posts: 132 Member
    Good morning :D
    I got to about page 7 and agree with many of those ideas. I encountered a problem when i place a pool on the second basement level. The light in the pool, and when i add windows, also in the room next to it, looks like the whole basement level is outside. It even changes acording to the time!
    I really wish EA would fix that, it's been driving me crazy...
    @Tiki5872 We have a couple of references to this issue in the index under the decor category:

•Add more color options (a color wheel would be ideal). In particular, add the true primary colors, i.e. black, white, red, etc. to object palettes across the board.
    •10/12/14 Please ensure that objects of the same style type have the same color palette options.

However, as I read back over them, I think a better way to say it would be to request that Maxis expands color palette options and normalize colors across all objects, preferably via a color wheel. So I will update the index to that effect.

@gmcrozier Wow! I never noticed that. That does drive up the cost of those stairs like crazy. One thing you can do is, after you've placed the stairs, move the room away from them - they will pop up a bit, and you can see the wall on them and delete it. You can then move the room back, the stairs will pop back into place, and their price will be back to $5. I will definitely add this to the index though.

Ah, I see what you mean @Talea12345, and I will add the issue. However, you can work around it if you build a room above the pool.
  • Talea12345Talea12345 Posts: 132 Member
    @BryonyRae I tried that. But while the pool works fine then, the room above adapts the outdoor light. Still, I guess that's easier to work with than wrong lights in the pool...
    Yeah, I was thinking that you could keep the room above as unused (and unseen) space.
    edited June 2015
    Found some more glitches while working on my latest build:
    • Be careful with gate placement while bb.moveobjects is turned on! If you hover a gate anywhere near fencing, the fencing disappears or gets graphically corrupted and cannot be replaced. This condition will stick with a lot even if you exit to the menu and reload your save. The only way to clear the issue is to restart the game. I'll report this one in the Testing MOO thread.
      gateskillfence_zps37sqlcbd.jpg
    • Wall paper patterns are distorted when placed on a diagonal and look really weird when next to the non-distorted pattern:
      diagdistortion_zpskybrgi6i.jpg
    • An adjoining fence and wall do not make a clean corner on a diagonal:
      cornerdisconnect_zpspgopumas.jpg
    • Objects you try to place next to foundation bounce up to the level above. I could understand this for wall objects, but it occurs for any object type:
      objsjumpfound1_zpslcg501wq.jpg
      In order to keep the object next to the foundation, you have to leave a decent gap between them, which isn't always desirable.
    • Part of a gate shows up inside a room if the gate links at a corner:
      gatethroughwall_zps139hdd57.jpg
    • Triangular shadows appear in rooms built on a diagonal:
      shadows1_zpspdklvtte.jpg
      I experienced this in my build and have seen it in many others:
      shadows2_zpsbraplc0s.jpg
      It seems related to building a room above ground level that overhangs with no room beneath it. I've found that you can "fix" it by adjusting the height of the level with shadows up (or down) and then undoing the action (or manually changing the level again).
    • Fences cut into stairs depending upon foundation height. I actually saw this on someone else's build. It is particularly noticeable on fences that have large, blocky terminators:
      fencecutsstairs_zpsyearteix.jpg
      I wanted to test if stair railings would have any effect, so I built fencing at both the top and bottom of the stairs, and as you can see, it cuts in at both places:
      morestairs1_zpsj1x6k965.jpg
      If I add a stair railing, it corrects the issue at the top but does nothing for the bottom:
      morestairs2_zps8f9dvgpd.jpg

Also, I have a request pertaining to the Gallery - please let us clear messages from our profile with one simple button. Once there are a number of messages on ones profile, it loads very slowly, but in order to get rid of the messages, you have to delete them individually, which is way too time consuming. There should be a simple way to delete all of them, as we can with our notification wall in game.

Post edited by BryonyRae on
    One more graphics glitch to add. This one was discovered by Rosana, also known as @snw on Twitter. The tête–à–tête window has a gap that allows the wall to show through if you zoom out a bit or in close:

Window looks normal at this distance:
    windowgood_zpsjnt6bn9n.jpg

Window when zoomed out:
    windowbadout_zpsd7q4zyxt.jpg

Window when zoomed in:
    windowbadin_zpsyehnsklz.jpg
  • rochelimitrochelimit Posts: 777 Member
    @HessethRan, it's fine to add your list here. Many of your requests already exist on the index, but I want to address a few things in your post that are not on there.

First, when it comes to specific styles of objects that you have requested (such as round and oval accent tables) or specific appliances, etc., I think we can all agree that we'd like to see them as well, but to go to that level of detail in the index is going to cause a lot of clutter, and also, I've got a hard limit of text in the index that I need to keep under. I believe (I hope) that the gurus are checking the index for main points and then reading our posts for the details, so your entire list will get seen.

Regarding mirrors, they are not shiftable because they are an interactive object. In order for the sim to animate properly when doing a mirror interaction, the mirror needs to be at a specific height. What we have requested is to possibly get some mirrors that are for décor only, i.e. are not functional, so that we could shift those. I personally would LOVE it, as I am not done with my mirrored structures concept. ;)

I am adding your request to enable shelves to hold more objects. They do currently support some 1 tile objects but not others, and it would certainly be helpful if we could place more and larger items on them.

Now a lot of mods can actually shift the windows and it is still an interactive job. What other excuses will you use Eaxis?
    I'm not sure what your question is, @rochelimit. Windows are not interactive objects (sims don't use them), and they have always been shift-able. With bb.moveobjects on, mirrors can now be shifted up on a wall; they can also be height adjusted either up or down when placed away from a wall, so there has been some progress since the post you're quoting. Mods can definitely bridge a lot of gaps in a Sims game, but many of us don't use them, and this thread is focused on changes that we want and/or need the developers to make to the game itself.
  • CasseeCassee Posts: 3,710 Member
    Ms Bry, quick question. In my new build, my Sim will not finish cooking. She starts, almost completes it, then walks away. I get the 'something in the way' plumbob. I can move the pot to the counter and THEN she will finish. I have tried different stoves, pulling stove out just a little. Removing pot rack above. I also removed the shelves. Island was built without MOO (shelves were added later). Is it just my game? Oh, it was working fine when I play tested home. This happened after I saved and went back in.

06-08-15_11-00nbspPM_zpsh5attdtk.png
    The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time. Bertrand Russell
    sims4siggie2018_zpslw60zcgd.png
    Cassee's Corner: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/783956/cassees-corner-new-5309-memory-lane-wip-page-72/p1