Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would it be worth my time ...? re:Sims prior to 4

2...Next

Comments

• xBob18xBob18 Posts: 7,893 Member
    yunagarnet wrote: »
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    TriX0099 wrote: »
    I'd go into Origin support live chat and ask for The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection. It's free, and it consists of every single expansion and stuff pack of The Sims 2, which is arguably the best Sims game (as of now).

Though if you find that TS4 is fun, I'd just stick with TS4.

You can do that?? I have always been annoyed at missing the window on downloading the Ultimate Collection.

NO you cannot, it was offered for free to those who already had the PC version of TS2 and that offered expired in July last year. As I stated above if you have a Mac, you can go to Apps and download the entire TS2 package for $29.95. It is NOT available for PC.

@catmando830

That's not true. It was given in July last year, yes, but after that they would only give it out to those who showed proof of ownership of a physical copy of The Sims 2. Now, if you go into EA support and ask for a copy, they will just give it to you for free regardless of proof or anything. Many people have done it and it has worked.

If you own a Mac, I would not recommend paying 30 dollars. That is NOT the entire TS2 package, as it lacks a few SPs and the EP Bon Voyage and on.

The one for Mac has EVERTHING - I have all the SP's and EP's including Bon Voyage. That is the selling point and well worth the $29.95 (no tax).

No it doesn't. The mac version is the Super Collection which only includes 6 of the 8 EPs and some of the SPs.

Which 2 are missing?
    FreeTime and Apartment Life.
    oh3cjs.jpg
  • yunagarnetyunagarnet Posts: 417 Member
    I'd go into Origin support live chat and ask for The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection. It's free, and it consists of every single expansion and stuff pack of The Sims 2, which is arguably the best Sims game (as of now).

You can do that?? I have always been annoyed at missing the window on downloading the Ultimate Collection.

NO you cannot, it was offered for free to those who already had the PC version of TS2 and that offered expired in July last year. As I stated above if you have a Mac, you can go to Apps and download the entire TS2 package for $29.95. It is NOT available for PC.

@catmando830

That's not true. It was given in July last year, yes, but after that they would only give it out to those who showed proof of ownership of a physical copy of The Sims 2. Now, if you go into EA support and ask for a copy, they will just give it to you for free regardless of proof or anything. Many people have done it and it has worked.

If you own a Mac, I would not recommend paying 30 dollars. That is NOT the entire TS2 package, as it lacks a few SPs and the EP Bon Voyage and on.

The one for Mac has EVERTHING - I have all the SP's and EP's including Bon Voyage. That is the selling point and well worth the $29.95 (no tax).

No it doesn't. The mac version is the Super Collection which only includes 6 of the 8 EPs and some of the SPs.

Which 2 are missing?

Freetime and Apartment Life.
    “Honestly, we didn’t meet player expectations at launch, and that was a difficult pill to swallow,” - The Sims 4 executive producer, Rachel Franklin.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member

ETA: And to the OP: yes you should definitely play the older games just to experience them yourself. Personally, I think the Sims 2 is the best.

Thanks- I thought I remember reading it doesn't have all the expansions. It seems to be missing the last two, Freetime & Apartment life.

I agree, I love TS2 for game play and TS3 for building. :mrgreen:
  • emmaningemmaning Posts: 3,407 Member
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Thing is, EA changed the User Interface and controls of the game in TS4. I don't like them, I don't like the camera controls nor the build controls.

If you're new and you do like TS4 and are used to the way it goes- it's not going to be easy to go to older games. They're harder and take more to play.
    Just setting up TS2 Ultimate Collection to work well on the new PCs can be very annoying if you're not used to old games or very determined.

In my opinion- stay with your first game if you're loving it. TS3 is different not only in the game but in the looks and controls. It's not the same as starting with TS/TS2/TS3 and moving forward. Forward movement is easier than backwards if you're never played the old games.

For what it's worth, that's my opinion.

I have TS2 Ultimate collection on my iMac and it was a download, no problems, it just downloaded and off I went to play. That collection is no longer available for PC.

*sigh*
    Yes, it is. People are still able to get it in certain circumstances.

Also, the Mac version, iirc, doesn't have all the expansions but it is updated for newer cards.

Yes, the Mac version has ALL the expansions that's why I bought it.

Okay- That is for a Mac and it costs money. The PC is free in certain circumstances and is different.
    Why are you arguing with me?

Happy Simming.

Why don't you explain to the OP, and anyone else who might want it, how they can get the PC version of TS2 for free.

I know how. And you could in like August 2014 by entering on origin the code I-LOVE-THE-SIMS
    And now you can get it free if you call ea about owning a copy of ts2 base game physical disc I think.
    feKqkxf.jpg

My blog: ning's backlog
    Don't forget the forum rules are on the forum- go find 'em!
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    edited May 2015
    not worth my time to comment
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member

@catmando830

I have physical copies of most of the packs for TS2, so still worth trying?

If you don't own them all, you get the ones you're missing for free.

Two, it's a back up of your installation and play discs in case anything should happen to them or your disc drive in your computer.
  • joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    I downloaded The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection 2 weeks ago. I contacted live chat about my original Sims 2 no longer working on my laptop. Although I did have to prove that I actually owned TS2 before they gave me UC.
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member

Yes, the Mac version has ALL the expansions that's why I bought it.

No. It does not have all the EPs. I have a Mac, and I have The Sims 2 for it.

It has:
    1. The Sims
    2. University EP
    3. Nightlife EP
    4. Open for Business EP
    5. Pets EP
    6. Seasons EP
    7. Bon Voyage EP
    8. Happy Holiday SP
    9. Family Fun SP
    10. Glamour Life SP

It does not have:
    1. FreetTime EP
    2. ApartmentLife EP
    3. Celebration Stuff SP
    4. H&M SP
    5. Teen Stuff SP
    6. Kitchen & Bath SP
    7. Ikea SP
    8. Mansions & Gardens SP

There is a reason I run Bootcamp and play the PC version.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • seVenpeaceloVeseVenpeaceloVe Posts: 501 Member
    joleaco wrote: »
    I downloaded The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection 2 weeks ago. I contacted live chat about my original Sims 2 no longer working on my laptop. Although I did have to prove that I actually owned TS2 before they gave me UC.
    same here. had it for nearly 3 weeks now and have played non stop. before the ea rep was even off the phone my game was already downloading. i just had to give him my base game code from the original disc. in my opinion sims 2 is the only game [other than 1] that plays out the way will wright wanted it to. and its the best one.
    free the sims!
    http://youtu.be/Bj7wOfUwHlo <<sims 2 dane cook creepy work guy. hilarious!
  • joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    joleaco wrote: »
    same here. had it for nearly 3 weeks now and have played non stop. before the ea rep was even off the phone my game was already downloading. i just had to give him my base game code from the original disc. in my opinion sims 2 is the only game [other than 1] that plays out the way will wright wanted it to. and its the best one.

Wow, you must've really wanted to play right away, lol. I couldn't download straight away although I wanted to, I think it was 2 days later, I just didn't have the time :). I had to take a photo of my Sims 2 base game disks with the chat ref number in it to show that I owned it. I guess it depends who you get, some people have got UC just by asking and nothing else.
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • MisterBlueMisterBlue Posts: 4 New Member
    Thanks for the great feedback guys. I think I will try them but just not quite yet.

Judging from what I've read so far though, I believe I will skip 1 and just go right into 2 after I spend some more time accomplishing at least a few more goals in 4 first.
  • joralydjoralyd Posts: 55 Member
    I think it's worth playing TS2 if you like TS4, in my opinion they both have some similarities where as TS3 is a different experience all together. Having said that TS4 bores me to tears and TS2 I can't get enough of, it just has so much detail in the game play. Graphics obviously aren't the greatest especially if you're comparing it to TS4 but there is just soo much to do in TS2.

I got my sims 2 UC about 6 weeks ago and I haven't even scratched the surface.
    I took the pledge
  • To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    Though if you find that TS4 is fun, I'd just stick with TS4. Just skip TS3 because, while it offers an open world, it's horribly optimized, buggy, and glitchy, and your save is more than likely to end up corrupted sooner or later.

I disagree (slightly). Apart from a little lag I've never experienced any major issues. I've been playing TS2 the last couple of weeks but TS3 is probably my favourite gameplay wise.

I love Ts2 for the closed world etc... I like that the other townies do not age or progress until I allow it.
  • joralydjoralyd Posts: 55 Member
    I love TS3 it was the first sims game I had ever played and I clocked up many many hours however I also clocked up many many hours trying to fix crashes and bugs :/ lol
    I took the pledge
  • GodlikeGodlike Posts: 305 Member
    If you like TS4 I wouldn't go back to the older installments of the series unless if you really wish to see how the games were prior TS4: why not? Couldn't get the hang of TS3 and didn't bother with 4 in the first place but have heard people really the older games after the newer ones so I guess it's all a matter of personal choice.
    Lift me up - Let me go