Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Ultimate University Challenge (UUC) - Muse Style!

capturedmusecapturedmuse Posts: 300 Member
Salutations and Greetings students, this is your Dean of Doom speaking and I need some students! Any volunteers?

This challenge is going to take you on a bumpy challenge with multiple endings! I would love to have some people help me test it, but let's first show you all the gears and cogs that makes this program run.

The Bare Basics
  1. Start with a teen sim with no skills and whatever traits and aspiration you desire.
  2. 1 Week = 1 Semester, basically the same as in Sims 2 and 3.
  3. 2 Weeks = 1 Year, so every two weeks your Sim goes up a level unless they flunk out.
  4. Their birthday party for their transition into official Adulthood is their graduation party.
  5. You cannot play any other sims within the Household.

Adjustments and Patch Notes!
None yet

Testing Team of Tenacity
@CathyTea (you've been nominated, nominate another person!)
@Spacey72659 (super thank you!)
@SimPoseyYum (lots of hearts for you)
@SummerFalls

Links to UUC based Stories
Skill U by @CathyTea
Greenwood Dormitory by @SummerFalls
Post edited by capturedmuse on

Comments

• capturedmusecapturedmuse Posts: 300 Member
    edited May 2015
    THE SETUP

Any uploads for this challenge should be listed with #UUC for easy Gallery swimming.

1) Download or Create the Dorm, requires at least 5 bedrooms.

2) Download or Create the Dean, must be an Adult with all skills maxed. Completed aspirations are a plus but not mandatory. You cannot play this Sim no matter what.

3) Download or Create 6 students, including one for yourself. For harder difficulty have 7 students with you controlling two. All have to start as teens with no skills in this household.

4) Place your household and dorm and create other dorms as you see fit (or download) all non-dorm residential buildings must be removed from neighborhood of choice. Feel free to fill empty lots with anything but non-dorm residential lots. I.E. no houses in your neighborhood that aren't dorms.

5) It should go without saying no cheats should be used at all, ever, except for awarding the scholarship simoleons and the winning pot.

HOW TO PLAY IT

1) Pick your student or create it now and merge it into the correct/main dorm with adult dean character. You are only allowed to play that one character unless you're doing hard mode then you only play 2.

2) Pick a major. Attend the in-game school as normal for teen years, and make sure to level major skills to appropriate levels for grades.

3) You start the game with 1,200 simoleons. Each semester depending on performance you get additional simoleons:
    A average = 5000
    B average = 3,000
    C Average = 1,500
    D Average = 500
    F Average = 0

Get an F average two semesters in a row and you lose the challenge.

4) Bills, give Dean a job when starting and bills will be paid through his or her paycheck. Spend wisely. If you come up short throw a fundraiser party or gather some rocks.

5) If your Sim rolls want to get married to a specific sim THREE times and you lose and have to drop out to get married. (Possible spin off can be made here) Raise your family as normal and send your child back. Child can have as many skills as it wants as long as it was raised from baby by an ex-University Student.

6) If your Sim gets pregnant or gets another sim pregnant you don't have to drop out, instead you have to buy your child a toy once a week along with their required things with no additional financial help from the school. (HARD) if your sim rolls wants for having a child THREE times and your household doesn't have room, kick out a roomie and get your sim or SO pregnant.

7) Once your sim is YA he or she may get a job, (others cannot) as a special paid internship. But only if you have a C or higher in grades. If you get a D or F for a semester average you have to quit to focus on your studies.

edited May 2015
    Drop by and pick your SCHEDULE

MAJORS
    Pick One, you are allowed to switch Majors IF you want, ONLY during the transition into their Junior year which is their birthday transition into YA.

Fine Arts: Painting, Photography, Writing

Mathematics: Logic, Programming, Rocket Science

Performance Arts: Piano, Violin, Guitar, Comedy (pick 3)

Culinary Arts: Baking, Cooking, Gourmet, Mixology

Environmental Engineering: Fishing, Gardening, Herbalism, Photography (pick 3)

Computer Science:Logic, Programming, Video Games

Political Science: Charisma, Comedy, Mischief, Friend requirements, Reaping (pick 3)

Health and Physical Fitness: Fitness, Handiness, Herbalism.

Research and Experimental Science: Logic, Handiness, Rocket Science, Herbalism (pick 3)

IMPORTANT: Every skill in the game is contained above including those from expansions and packs. This will continue to be updated as needed.

GENERAL STUDIES You need to try to also level these skills.
    Year 1: writing or fitness
    Year 2: charisma or logic
    Year 3: cooking or
    Year 4: photography or instrument

GRADING keep track of your Sim's grades, you do not need to track other students.
    A = Skill Level 3 or higher
    C = Skill Level 2
    F = Skill Level 1 or 0
    edited May 2015
    HOW TO SCORE IT

Grades:

Every general studies grade under the required level takes off a full letter grade for that year.

Year 1:
    A = 9+ total skill points learned in major, each individually being 3 or higher.
    B = 7+ total skill points learned in major, should be 2 2 3 minimum for a B.
    C = 5+ total skill points learned in major, or 2 2 1 for the minimum for a C.
    F = Any 0s or more than two ones is an F.

Year 2:
    A = 18+ total skill points learned in major, each individually being 6 or higher.
    B = 15+ total skill points learned in major, Need one 6 and no more than one 4.
    C = 12+ total skill points learned in major, or 4 4 4 for the minimum for a C.
    D = anything that falls between.
    F = Any 2s or two 3s is an F.

Year 3:
    A = 27+ total skill points learned in major, each individually being 9 or higher.
    B = 21+ total skill points learned in major, No 6s
    C = 18+ total skill points learned in major, No 5s
    F = Any 3s or two or more 4s is an F.

Year 4:
    A = 30+ total skill points learned in major, each individually being 10 or higher. And at least rank 3 at work.
    B = Minus half a grade for every skill point below 10, no 7s
    C = Minus half a grade for every skill point below 9, no 6s
    D = Anything in between.
    F = Any 0s or more than two ones is an F.
    * For every work rank not met take off half a grade. So an A would now be A-, so on and so forth.
    * For every work rank exceeded add half a grade to a maximum of one full letter grade.

Best of luck! Feel free to post your numbers if you need help scoring yourself!

Graduation:

Complete 1 aspiration by graduation and you graduate with honors (🐸🐸🐸🐸 laude) if you have a B or higher. (30,000)

Complete 1 aspiration and get an A average you get a slightly higher honor (magna 🐸🐸🐸🐸 laude). (75,000)

Complete 2 or more aspirations with an A or higher and you graduate as valedictorian and highest honors (summa 🐸🐸🐸🐸 laude). (150,000)

Graduating without honors nets you 10,000 simoleons.

Then play the game however you want...
    Or do an...

UUC EXPANSION PACK get more bang out of your proverbial challenge buck.

Feel free to submit suggestions for variations or add-ons to put a unique twist on the UUC.

ULTIMATE UNIVERSITY LIFE CHALLENGE MODE!
    Once completed you can, if you choose, move onto the second level. With the money you received you are now hired to become a dean as the previous dean has passed away. You have big shoes to fill! Using the money you must build a new dorm from the ground up and fill it with students. 6 for normal mode. 7 for hard. You can only control your dean. Based on their traits pick a major for them and help them succeed as best as possible. Count up the points based on their skill points once they all reach the end of their time to see if you won!
    Post edited by capturedmuse on
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    This sounds like so much fun--and I think I will start testing tonight!

I especially like that the honors are "Magnum Plum Laude" and "Summa Plum Laude!" :D
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    CathyTea wrote: »
    This sounds like so much fun--and I think I will start testing tonight!

I especially like that the honors are "Magnum Plum Laude" and "Summa Plum Laude!" :D

Unintentional typos actually, but I liked it so I didn't change it. Haha.
    edited May 2015
    Added a Dean, Leslie Dean, to the Gallery. She's pretty maxed out. You can find her by searching the hashtag UUC. Enjoy!
    Added a Dean, Leslie Dean, to the Gallery. She's pretty maxed out. You can find her by searching the hashtag UUC. Enjoy!

Oh, great! Thanks! I think I'll use her. Also, do you have a dorm? Or a building you would suggest for one?

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    Ok... just to make sure I understand...

I will need to fill the dorm with the Dean and 6 students, only one of whom I play.

Because I'm lazy and don't feel like bull-dozing all the existing houses, I think I'll plop this in the GTW shopping world, which has only one residential lot--will that fulfill that requirement for no other residential houses?

And... let's see... Normal lifespan?

Oh! Also, what about skilling objects?

If I download a home for the dorm already loaded with skilling objects and career rewards and high emotional objects, is that ok?

With finances, I know that I have to end up with 1200, but what do I start with? Can I start with more in order to get skilling objects, or do I need to start with 20,000, then adjust to 1200?

Oooh lots of good questions. Normal lifespan is what the challenge is set to currently. As for skulking objects you can until you have the amount of money left.

So you can spend all of it on skill up objects if you'd like and then just set the household funds to 1,200 Hrm. For the building, dorm wise. I should have written in that they should use the free real estate cheat and then go onto the lite.

How about we set it so that people do free real estate pick whatever they want as a dorm and then can spend all their money as they see fit. Which should make it interesting when the bills come. As the more elaborate the house the more expensive the bills will be. @CathyTea
  • aroseinbloomaroseinbloom Posts: 3,456 Member
    I really love this. I have absolutely no capacity to start a new project...but I'll be lurking on this thread to see how it goes!
    Sneak peak of the dorm I'm working on.

mmq2alH.jpg

No idea what to call it yet.
    I really love this. I have absolutely no capacity to start a new project...but I'll be lurking on this thread to see how it goes!

I have no capacity either, but I'm doing it anyway because I'm nuts. :) Plus, my navigation bar on my blog NEEDS one more story! I think I'll call it "Skill U."

• Spacey72659Spacey72659 Posts: 1,479 Member
    I think I'm gonna lurk in this thread. I like this idea and I'm always looking for new challenges to LP.
    I just started a new one so I have to pace myself, but I am interested to see how it comes out for others in the meantime.
    Awesome news @Spacey72659! I'll work hard to keep the hype train going and perhaps write a story featuring it once I finish this generation of Whitefeather. But I'll be doing a lot of building and what not for this since I'm done with my building for other projects. :)
    So, I didn't start last night since one of my Sims said, "Hey! Play me! I have a story to tell!" But guess what? I have to take two days off of work next week or I will lose vacation time! Now that's a lucky position to be in! So I will have time to start soon.

Here's an idea that occurred to me: What if, for my other students, the ones I don't play, I downloaded Wonder Children? It would change it in some ways, for they're not straight out of CAS and are LOADED with skills and reward traits... but for my story, it would work, since I want to write about a first generation college student who feels intimidated by the smart skilled students around her, and I think it would be fun to watch Wonder Children in an ISBI-type situation.

If you feel this would interfere with testing, let me know, and I'll make or download straight-out-of CAS students for the ones I don't play.

I'm really enjoying letting the ideas rumble around for a little while until I have a chance to start this, and I think it's going to be an awesomely fun challenge with great storytelling possiblities!

Nope, nope, that actually sounds amazing! Maybe I'll finish this dorm in time for you to use it then :D
    I kind of wanted to mix this with a My Little Pony theme LP I've been considering, but idk if I can only pick one to play LOL.
    I may kinda use that idea though and maybe do a theme with really wacky characters for this one. Like a weird combination of characters and stuff to make it interesting.

I like that you only control one Sim in this (trying to get the skills/etc for all would be so difficult! Hahaha)

I think I might start planning this so its ready when one of my other LPs wraps up. I have 8 going right now so....hahaha.
  • SimPoseyYumSimPoseyYum Posts: 995 Member
    Sounds complex and interesting. I like that the player only needs to control one Sim. A few questions:
    • The Dean has to have all skill maxed -- I assume that means via cheat?
    • Does the Dean live in the dorm?
    • Are the Dorm and the Household the same thing?
    • Why is it required to have 5 bedrooms?
    • Is there any limit to how much can be spent on the dorm (can we kaching our way to fancy digs)? ((Answered by the Free Real Estate cheat, I assume))
    • Don't all household funds get pooled? How can I keep the Dean's earning separate from my Sim's?
    • Won't the other students' spending for food or other items reduce the household's funds?
    • Should the Culinary Arts major have "pick 3" behind it?
    • Should General Studies, Year 3 have another alternative to cooking?
    • Should Years 1 and 3 have a letter grade D?
    Sounds like fun! Very creative, well done :).
    As many as possible, for the Dean I put on the Gallery she doesn't have 2 skills at 10.

The dean does live in the dorms.

The students should share rooms, two to each. And 5 is the MINIMUM for the rooms.

Dorm and Household will be all the same people for that particular dorm yes, you can place other dorms if you want other sims to interact with and pretend they are also in university.

One room for the dean. And the other rooms to split the girls and boys up if you decide to do so. It's just the minimum.

Yes, free dorm set up and then the household money can be used to add things as you wish.

You don't keep the funds separate in that sense, you just use it for dorm things. Instead of say, just spoiling your character. It's mostly for immersion. Since the goal is to also keep affording the bills, which is why not everyone will want to do a super expensive home because the Dean starts at level 1 at work.

And yup, that's why the Dean is the only sim working for the first two years, and then your sim gets the paid internship if the grades are high enough.

Yes, sorry! I must have accidentally left it out when converting everything over to the forums.

No, the or was supposed to be taken out, sorry.

They don't just because if it averages out to be that then you can take that grade, if that makes sense. It's just how the numbers worked out. Couldn't make a fair D.

Thanks for all the questions I'll fix all the issues you pointed out this evening and put them in the patch notes! <3
    I am diving in! I've got a four-day weekend/mini-vacation AND no current teaching load! So... what better way to celebrate not having any student papers to read than by sending a Sim to university! (You know, so she can write papers... and I can read them... :) )

I'm hoping to have the first post from her up tomorrow, and I might pop in before then if I suddenly have a question about how to proceed.

Hey, @capturedmuse ! I started! It's so much fun! My college student is having tons of fun making friends with her roomies. I downloaded Leslie as the dean--guess what she did? She ran away! She left the home lot immediately to use the bathroom at the park next door, then she hung out there and made a few friends, grilled fruit on the grill for her supper (which she shared with friends), and now she's sleeping on the park bench! I guess she just doesn't want to stay in the dorm with a bunch of college freshmen!

Ok-dokey! Here's Honey Walker's journal entry from her first day at college! Journal Entry 1.1

The TOC page for the challenge story is https://cathytea.wordpress.com/other-stories/skill-u/

Oh I like the journal style idea @CathyTea really cool
    @capturedmuse Oh, Muse! I've got a question! How do we figure out the grades for the end of the semesters? I can see how to figure the grades for the end of the year, but not the semester. Thanks! :)

CathyTea wrote: »
    @capturedmuse Oh, Muse! I've got a question! How do we figure out the grades for the end of the semesters? I can see how to figure the grades for the end of the year, but not the semester. Thanks! :)

I assumed it was their high school grade. I could be wrong.