Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Was anything REALLY accomplished in yesterday's ask a guru session ?

Comments

• Options
    boguczed1boguczed1 Posts: 170 Member
    tkwolf wrote: »
    Hawkgirl wrote: »
    I don't blame the devs for lack of communication, nor do I blame the simmers asking multiple questions. I blame EA.

As short as it is, THIS IS ACTUALLY THE ANSWER TO ALL THE PROBLEMS.
    The problem is that EA does not know much about its players, or at least the upper executives who run the company don't. They only care about charts and sales figures.
    The developers are just employees who follow orders from the upper management. If the management says no firmly, the developers cannot do anything about it. Either they speak back and lose their jobs, or follow the orders to keep their jobs.
    SO basically, all our outcries go as far as the forums or the email accounts of the developers.
    I doubt the upper management hears about this, and if they do, they just let it slip with their farts and continue imposing firm rules about secrecy (probably busy hiding the existence of pokemons or something) because pride...because they genuinely believe that they know better because they're in the upper position for a reason right?

What seems to be happening is that the upper people of EA are acting stubborn, thinking that they know what direction to take because they run the company. They seem to have this 90s mindset that companies run the product the way they want to while customers are stuck following whatever direction a game goes.
    However, the internet happened, and it became more accessible to the general public in the last decade. So, we see a shift in power. Customers don't need to call customer feedback, all they need to do is head to the forums to voice out their feedbacks anonymously without any consequences on their part. And other start echoing it, and the company starts to feel the impact. BUT the executives refuse to bend because POKEMONS EXIST
    The issue is that EA thinks it can continue to run the game this way, thinking that we will all naively just swallow anything they feed us, but that is no longer how this works.
    If EA wants to advance this game, there has to be open mindedness in the part of the upper management. But I honestly do not see that happening. The people running EA are old, and stubborn stuck in their 90s ways because they were raised in that era.

It's no different from politics really. Check out the politics of US, UK and AUS for example. It's kind of a parallel to big companies.

There is generally a mismatch of management vision and customer demands.

If they were raised in the 90s they'd be in college now, not running a big company.
  • Options
    WolfEyesWolfEyes Posts: 2,192 Member
    pezhead7 wrote: »
    I don't think I am a favorite and have no reason to believe I'm in any way shape or form I might be. While I don't post things like this game plums and you plum I have been pretty vocal. Sometimes I ask questions and get evasive, frivolous or superficial answers and sometimes I get ignored. I think it might have something to do with the question, who is responding and the mood of the day.

The mood probably wasn't ideal for a Q&A given the timing of the no toddlers kotaku article.

And the subject being a stuff pack that a lot of people were not pleased about didn't help either. I do feel bad that the gurus are stuck, and the higher ups need to fix it. EA is good at leaks. Maybe someone could leak information about who we need to appeal to in order to get this wall of silence taken down.

That would be nice, but I believe @Sparkfairy1 has contacted EA directly and they didn't even bother to answer. And if the culture is so toxic at EA that no one can or will talk to us, who's going to risk losing their job by leaking info?

I have, many, many times. I am always calm, kind and reasonable and I always give credit to the Gurus that go out of their way to be kind but have their hands tied. Every single time they ignore it.

I have tried calling, writing, emailing-any addresses or numbers I could get a hold of. I have spent hours researching who to contact and where to do so too.

Have you tried the board of directors? The investors? http://investor.ea.com/directors.cfm
    Sims 4 Simple Elegance

152511.gif

This is the truth.
    Mitakuye oyasin.
    To all my relations, keep dancing.
    Believe or you will not see.
  • Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    Maybe because of all the begging and complaining, the gurus have decided that they will answer only some questions that will not get them into any discussions about things they can't discuss or will upset people. Seems they get misquoted, hassled and criticized, whenever they answer something, so they are taking the safe way. I asked a question and was not answered, so I guess it was off topic, not banned, so I guess whoever was banned had to be pretty bad. I asked about gifting the stuff pack, I wish we could gift these things.
  • Options
    sparkfairy1sparkfairy1 Posts: 11,453 Member
    WolfEyes wrote: »
    I don't think I am a favorite and have no reason to believe I'm in any way shape or form I might be. While I don't post things like this game plums and you plum I have been pretty vocal. Sometimes I ask questions and get evasive, frivolous or superficial answers and sometimes I get ignored. I think it might have something to do with the question, who is responding and the mood of the day.

The mood probably wasn't ideal for a Q&A given the timing of the no toddlers kotaku article.

And the subject being a stuff pack that a lot of people were not pleased about didn't help either. I do feel bad that the gurus are stuck, and the higher ups need to fix it. EA is good at leaks. Maybe someone could leak information about who we need to appeal to in order to get this wall of silence taken down.

That would be nice, but I believe @Sparkfairy1 has contacted EA directly and they didn't even bother to answer. And if the culture is so toxic at EA that no one can or will talk to us, who's going to risk losing their job by leaking info?

I have, many, many times. I am always calm, kind and reasonable and I always give credit to the Gurus that go out of their way to be kind but have their hands tied. Every single time they ignore it.

I have tried calling, writing, emailing-any addresses or numbers I could get a hold of. I have spent hours researching who to contact and where to do so too.

Have you tried the board of directors? The investors? http://investor.ea.com/directors.cfm

I tried, but they said they only accept communications from investors. And I am not about to invest in EA ;)
  • Options
    boguczed1 wrote: »
    tkwolf wrote: »
    Hawkgirl wrote: »
    I don't blame the devs for lack of communication, nor do I blame the simmers asking multiple questions. I blame EA.

As short as it is, THIS IS ACTUALLY THE ANSWER TO ALL THE PROBLEMS.
    The problem is that EA does not know much about its players, or at least the upper executives who run the company don't. They only care about charts and sales figures.
    The developers are just employees who follow orders from the upper management. If the management says no firmly, the developers cannot do anything about it. Either they speak back and lose their jobs, or follow the orders to keep their jobs.
    SO basically, all our outcries go as far as the forums or the email accounts of the developers.
    I doubt the upper management hears about this, and if they do, they just let it slip with their farts and continue imposing firm rules about secrecy (probably busy hiding the existence of pokemons or something) because pride...because they genuinely believe that they know better because they're in the upper position for a reason right?

What seems to be happening is that the upper people of EA are acting stubborn, thinking that they know what direction to take because they run the company. They seem to have this 90s mindset that companies run the product the way they want to while customers are stuck following whatever direction a game goes.
    However, the internet happened, and it became more accessible to the general public in the last decade. So, we see a shift in power. Customers don't need to call customer feedback, all they need to do is head to the forums to voice out their feedbacks anonymously without any consequences on their part. And other start echoing it, and the company starts to feel the impact. BUT the executives refuse to bend because POKEMONS EXIST
    The issue is that EA thinks it can continue to run the game this way, thinking that we will all naively just swallow anything they feed us, but that is no longer how this works.
    If EA wants to advance this game, there has to be open mindedness in the part of the upper management. But I honestly do not see that happening. The people running EA are old, and stubborn stuck in their 90s ways because they were raised in that era.

It's no different from politics really. Check out the politics of US, UK and AUS for example. It's kind of a parallel to big companies.

There is generally a mismatch of management vision and customer demands.

If they were raised in the 90s they'd be in college now, not running a big company.

Im *pretty* sure that user meant in terms of having a 90s mindset. Not sure what that means myself as I was a kid then but thats how I read it!
  • Options
    So, if and I am not saying it does, IF my stock portfolio has EA Maxis or Origin in it, then they would want you to talk to me? How would that work? Seems like they are brushing you off @sparkfairy1. That stinks.
  • Options
    jimmysnan wrote: »
    So, if and I am not saying it does, IF my stock portfolio has EA Maxis or Origin in it, then they would want you to talk to me? How would that work? Seems like they are brushing you off @sparkfairy1. That stinks.

No those who own stocks can send in communications for the board to consider. Yes it does.
  • Options
    pezhead7pezhead7 Posts: 838 Member

Contact Board of Directors, eh ?
    Hmmmmm ...

tumblr_nakt236i3f1ra11u8o8_400.gif

porteur_eau.gif
  • Options
    blueturtleotterblueturtleotter Posts: 867 Member
    edited May 2015
    The Guru Q and A sessions are a complete and utter waste of time. Most answers are vacuous, general statements to vacuous, pointless questions.

It is the same people week in and week out asking the same tired old questions. The same people fawning over the Gurus, writing walls of text, asking questions they know they will not get an answer to, asking inane questions few care about at all.

These Q and A sessions are a cheap attempt at trying to trick gullible fans into thinking they are being listened to; that they have some influence; and that the devs care about their fan base. Sadly, too many simmers are falling for this rubbish.

A proper Q and A session would allow questions about future content and would give precise answers.

There are so many problems with this game, and all the Gurus keep doing is releasing new content that does not fix problems from the base game. EA does not care. They just want to take simmers money. Plain and simple.
  • Options

I tried, but they said they only accept communications from investors. And I am not about to invest in EA ;)

Don't let them feed you a load of bull. You have to locate the other means of communicating. Sending you a pm with a link.
    Sims 4 Simple Elegance

152511.gif

This is the truth.
    Mitakuye oyasin.
  • Options
    sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    edited May 2015
    meeoun wrote: »
    I think a lot were asking irrelevant questions and making irrelevant post. Also that fighting happened and what not. :O
    This makes me wonder, sometimes, that if I could participate in Ask a Guru...
    ... I could save the day.
    B)
    Sorry, horrible joke. :p

I don't even bother participating in those sessions anymore. The previous session deleted all my suggestions and questions.

I'm appalled by the amount of ridiculous and friutless questions in those sessions that are asked. I swear they must make fake account to ask questions concerning "what their favorite color is" or "the amount of time it takes to make a stuff pack with 10 items".. They must do this to keep that thread going. Otherwise those sessions would be a spam of " ...we hear you.." or "..sorry, we can't talk about future content right now.."

If you aren't one of their favorites they will pretty much ignore you. I do agree how many absurd things were said in that thread is ridiculous though.

No, it's not about favorites it's about the content of you question. Any question that questions the game's quality or lack thereof will be either deleted or ignored.

Well its funny how they seem to only answer people's questions who they have a good relationship with and/or is known to praise the game.
    It's not rocket science. I will say it again.
    I think a lot were asking irrelevant questions and making irrelevant post. Also that fighting happened and what not. :O
    This makes me wonder, sometimes, that if I could participate in Ask a Guru...
    ... I could save the day.
    B)
    Sorry, horrible joke. :p

I don't even bother participating in those sessions anymore. The previous session deleted all my suggestions and questions.

I'm appalled by the amount of ridiculous and friutless questions in those sessions that are asked. I swear they must make fake account to ask questions concerning "what their favorite color is" or "the amount of time it takes to make a stuff pack with 10 items".. They must do this to keep that thread going. Otherwise those sessions would be a spam of " ...we hear you.." or "..sorry, we can't talk about future content right now.."

If you aren't one of their favorites they will pretty much ignore you. I do agree how many absurd things were said in that thread is ridiculous though.

No, it's not about favorites it's about the content of you question. Any question that questions the game's quality or lack thereof will be either deleted or ignored.

I don't understand why your posts seem to have a defensive tone, lol. I am just speaking the truth, I'm not the only one who has known this for a while now. It doesn't take much to see they favor some people over others. Some get banned for doing virtually nothing, and others are allowed to troll and troll and only get a warning. That thread last night is perfect proof of that.
    I'm talking about the ask guru sessions not the moderation workings of this forum.

They all tie in to each other. Questions being deleted for no reason, people getting banned for asking the wrong things. Others have been banned for simply saying they don't like a guru on their wall. Its all one big system and of course they talk to each other so obviously the 2 are related.

ETA: Going back and reading the thread again, I am just shocked. There is like 10-15 good questions for every 1 they answer, and they pick some of the most pointless questions to answer. Like someone said "are you here gurus?" and one of them answered "Yes!" Really? THAT's what you chose to answer?
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    ericaduhericaduh Posts: 670 Member
    Doesnt seem like it did.. I asked two questions and were ignored. They were simple questions. I am still wondering about the buffet table food quality, lol.
    my simblr - http://ericalovessims.tumblr.com
    origin id & other social networks: ericaduh
  • Options
    ericaduh wrote: »
    Doesnt seem like it did.. I asked two questions and were ignored. They were simple questions. I am still wondering about the buffet table food quality, lol.

More than likely it will depend on what culinary level your sim that does the cooking is at. The higher the level the higher the quality of food, of course. :)
    Sims 4 Simple Elegance

152511.gif

This is the truth.
    Mitakuye oyasin.
  • Options
    ericaduhericaduh Posts: 670 Member

More than likely it will depend on what culinary level your sim that does the cooking is at. The higher the level the higher the quality of food, of course. :)

Thank you! But my Sims were maxed on all skills related and got "good" quality. I was wondering if thats how it should be?
    my simblr - http://ericalovessims.tumblr.com
    origin id & other social networks: ericaduh
  • Options

Thank you! But my Sims were maxed on all skills related and got "good" quality. I was wondering if thats how it should be?

If you use good quality ingredients instead of great or excellent I think that happens.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    I have an idea how to get a straight answer and a phone call but I can't say it here as post would be deleted and I could possibly be banned. I have had good results when I have used it in the past. Anyway to get the idea out there? I think that approaching it that fans are listened to, would be the way to go not just to ask for specific things in a stuff pack and such. I am in agreement that we all should be listened to, I may not agree with what everyone else wants and how they approach asking for it, but to be listened to by the higher ups should be something we all have a right to.
  • Options
    TriX0099TriX0099 Posts: 850 Member

Possibly the answer wouldn't be liked by the community, so they just passed on it. (I read your question, it was fair, on topic but probably once again just shows how little they actually think about things or test them before they release them).
  • Options
    missmani09missmani09 Posts: 692 Member
    edited May 2015
    I think a lot of the problem is the actual topic of the chat. The last one was on Get to Work. Now it had only just come out. I could have asked a lot more intelligent questions about a pack I have played for a while than one I hadn't yet seen.
    One of the best Guru chats I have read was the technical one which is a truly excellent read. This chat was about base game mechanics and the game had been played quite a bit when that chat was done. The thread is a text book example of a brilliant forum thread that lasts for 30 pages. Sadly, entropy sets in at the end over the next 20. I have really, really tried to a link to it, but can;t :confounded: So please if anyone has it bookmarked, please post it. I think it is very relevant to this discussion for comparison purposes.

@ModerateOsprey
    Funny you should mention that. I just made a recent thread about this.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/834641/the-most-guru-communication-i-have-seen-thus-far#latest

If I'm not mistaken, this is the thread you are refering to?, no?
    With @SimGuruMax
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/782859/simulation-tech-talk/p1
    Toddlers are FINALLY HERE!!!
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    I'm looking back through the thread, and I'm seeing a lot of weak answers to a lot of weak questions.

They aren't even going back to answer questions after the thread is closed any more.

I mean ... is this even a productive use of time anymore ? It feels empty. Like they're trying to show they're communicating and listening without actually communicating.

Heck, I've seen chat bots that are more informative and engaging.

Neither one of mine were answered.

I asked if the venue in the trailer would be uploaded to the gallery and what radio station the song from the trailer is on.

By the way I found out on twitter the song is from a person called Nova the same name as my cat and it's in pop with one other new song by Macy Grey.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Who got banned?
    Sorry I won't name them, but yes the Kotaku article link got posted and removed. I'm just glad the two threads going about it haven't been removed yet. I didn't know more than one person got banned. :( That's sad, but yes makes me miss SimGuruBChick still.

Isn't she back from vacation?

• Options
    Scobre wrote: »
    Who got banned?
    Sorry I won't name them, but yes the Kotaku article link got posted and removed. I'm just glad the two threads going about it haven't been removed yet. I didn't know more than one person got banned. :( That's sad, but yes makes me miss SimGuruBChick still.

Isn't she back from vacation?

Nope, currently she is MIA :(
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    jimmysnan wrote: »
    I have an idea how to get a straight answer and a phone call but I can't say it here as post would be deleted and I could possibly be banned. I have had good results when I have used it in the past. Anyway to get the idea out there? I think that approaching it that fans are listened to, would be the way to go not just to ask for specific things in a stuff pack and such. I am in agreement that we all should be listened to, I may not agree with what everyone else wants and how they approach asking for it, but to be listened to by the higher ups should be something we all have a right to.

Thank you!
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    I'm looking back through the thread, and I'm seeing a lot of weak answers to a lot of weak questions.

They aren't even going back to answer questions after the thread is closed any more.

I mean ... is this even a productive use of time anymore ? It feels empty. Like they're trying to show they're communicating and listening without actually communicating.

I asked if the venue in the trailer would be uploaded to the gallery and what radio station the song from the trailer is on.

By the way I found out on twitter the song is from a person called Nova the same name as my cat and it's in pop with one other new song by Macy Grey.

Awww maybe your questions will be answered next time CLP. I really admire that you keep your positivity and passion for the game. I know you love the series and buy pretty much all of it, and i hope you're getting lots of good times from the game. I just wish they would answer a dedicated player who is happy with the product, like you as well as the concerns of those who are not happy.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    jcp011c2 wrote: »

Awww maybe your questions will be answered next time CLP. I really admire that you keep your positivity and passion for the game. I know you love the series and buy pretty much all of it, and i hope you're getting lots of good times from the game. I just wish they would answer a dedicated player who is happy with the product, like you as well as the concerns of those who are not happy.

They should be talking to all of us.

@catloverplayer I hope they answer you next time too lovely, they are lucky to have you.
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    missmani09 wrote: »
    I think a lot of the problem is the actual topic of the chat. The last one was on Get to Work. Now it had only just come out. I could have asked a lot more intelligent questions about a pack I have played for a while than one I hadn't yet seen.
    One of the best Guru chats I have read was the technical one which is a truly excellent read. This chat was about base game mechanics and the game had been played quite a bit when that chat was done. The thread is a text book example of a brilliant forum thread that lasts for 30 pages. Sadly, entropy sets in at the end over the next 20. I have really, really tried to a link to it, but can;t :confounded: So please if anyone has it bookmarked, please post it. I think it is very relevant to this discussion for comparison purposes.

@ModerateOsprey
    Funny you should mention that. I just made a recent thread about this.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/834641/the-most-guru-communication-i-have-seen-thus-far#latest

If I'm not mistaken, this is the thread you are refering to?, no?
    With @SimGuruMax
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/782859/simulation-tech-talk/p1

Yes, that's the one. Wouldn't it be fantastic to have more of that?
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top