Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Bought online only, or also sold at stores?

This might be a dumb question, but can you also buy this pack in the store physically, or is it something you can only purchase online with a credit card?

I am a collector, so I like to have these things on my shelf for display like my other Sims 1, 2, 3, series :)

Comments

• Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Digital only.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    edited May 2015
    I'm pretty sure it will only be available to download via Origin.
  • Options
    SprinklesBonBonSprinklesBonBon Posts: 2,727 Member
    Only digital on Origin
    Still waiting for Toddlers...
  • Options
    seminaricardoseminaricardo Posts: 244 Member
    Awww, OK. Thank you!
  • Options
    SprinklesBonBonSprinklesBonBon Posts: 2,727 Member
    For some reason I get the feeling game packs, & stuff packs will only be digital, but EP's will be physical :/
    Still waiting for Toddlers...
  • Options
    djaygamerdjaygamer Posts: 196 Member
    Yeah I know EA have gone lazy. we use to get physical copies of stuff packs!
  • Options
    IconicIconic Posts: 427 Member
    djaygamer wrote: »

It has nothing to do with laziness; digital saves money. With physical copies, there's the cost of production; putting the content on hundreds of thousands (if not more) discs, putting them inside hundreds of thousands of plastic cases (not to mention the manufacturing of the cases themselves), designing and printing hundreds of thousands of inserts like copies of the privacy policy or terms and conditions, not to mention the exterior design of the game box/case with screenshots and information about it.

Going digital really only has one downside and that is for the collectors who enjoy the materialistic aspect of having a physical item on a shelf on display. Just be grateful the expansion packs still come in physical form.

So before you accuse a company of laziness, understand the basic concept surrounding the cost of product distribution for a business.
    Yes, I am the one obsessed with Michael Myers.
    Origin ID: iRetr0
    tumblr_ph50sjUexV1r2aobgo3_540.gif
  • Options
    seminaricardoseminaricardo Posts: 244 Member
    Very true @writetheeulogy :)
  • Options
    DaB1gVDaB1gV Posts: 684 Member
    It makes it a bit difficult for those under 18 who buy it in stores with birthday/holiday money. For me, it's the process of convincing my mum/dad it's worth it, convincing them to put their credit card into Origin, and then finding my money to give to them.

I know it's cheaper for EA, but I can't wait until I'm earning my own money.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    DaB1gV wrote: »
    It makes it a bit difficult for those under 18 who buy it in stores with birthday/holiday money. For me, it's the process of convincing my mum/dad it's worth it, convincing them to put their credit card into Origin, and then finding my money to give to them.

@DaB1gV Except they don't have to put their credit card into Origin. You can buy one of those EA cash cards in stores using your own money. (Assuming they're available in your country.)
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    i went digital for convience. i don't drive .
  • Options
    PhotogSimPhotogSim Posts: 1,729 Member

You don't have to drive to get physical copies of games, I order most my stuff from Amazon and it is here in 1-2 days at my door. I prefer physical copies myself. I have all the Sims 1, Sims 2 and Sims3 cases lined up on my shelf. Just started with Sims 4 only have the base game and the stuff pack so far.

• Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    PhotogSim wrote: »

You don't have to drive to get physical copies of games, I order most my stuff from Amazon and it is here in 1-2 days at my door. I prefer physical copies myself. I have all the Sims 1, Sims 2 and Sims3 cases lined up on my shelf. Just started with Sims 4 only have the base game and the stuff pack so far.

i did physcal for 1 2 and 3. i know i can order physical but what i like about downloads is i don't have to wait to get them .
  • Options
    djaygamerdjaygamer Posts: 196 Member

It has nothing to do with laziness; digital saves money. With physical copies, there's the cost of production; putting the content on hundreds of thousands (if not more) discs, putting them inside hundreds of thousands of plastic cases (not to mention the manufacturing of the cases themselves), designing and printing hundreds of thousands of inserts like copies of the privacy policy or terms and conditions, not to mention the exterior design of the game box/case with screenshots and information about it.

Going digital really only has one downside and that is for the collectors who enjoy the materialistic aspect of having a physical item on a shelf on display. Just be grateful the expansion packs still come in physical form.

So before you accuse a company of laziness, understand the basic concept surrounding the cost of product distribution for a business.

I know how business works thank you very much. They do it help minimise costs. But can you actually say that EA really needs to re-cover costs considering how much they are making a year in Sales. And I'm not just talking about the Sims franchise here, I'm talking about across the whole of EA. They are making millions of dollars a year from us leaching from them. They can afford to do it.

• Options
    Aussie_SimmerAussie_Simmer Posts: 2,623 Member
    This stuff pack is digital download only. The price would probably be a bit more if it was both available physically and digitally.
    Aussie_Simmer
  • Options
    DaB1gVDaB1gV Posts: 684 Member
    IceyJ wrote: »

@DaB1gV Except they don't have to put their credit card into Origin. You can buy one of those EA cash cards in stores using your own money. (Assuming they're available in your country.)

Not available in Australia.
  • Options
    kimilatifkimilatif Posts: 53 Member
    it sucks that they are turning all digital now.. not everyone can buy it as not everyone have credit cards or fast internet connection to download the game..
  • Options
    kimilatif wrote: »
    it sucks that they are turning all digital now.. not everyone can buy it as not everyone have credit cards or fast internet connection to download the game..

The stuff pack is very small in size and you can purchase a prepaid card in a store and use that to buy the pack.

• Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,753 Member
    edited May 2015

EA/Origin gift cards are only available in the U.S. I'm over 18 and yet for me to get Outdoor Retreat for my birthday (a month from now) mom has to use her credit card. Even if I go to the U.S. to buy such an item there's is 100% guarantee of it NOT working even if the card says "valid for Canada" (I live in Canada)
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    MadameLee wrote: »

EA/Origin gift cards are only available in the U.S. I'm over 18 and yet for me to get Outdoor Retreat for my birthday (a month from now) mom has to use her credit card. Even if I go to the U.S. to buy such an item there's is 100% guarantee of it NOT working even if the card says "valid for Canada" (I live in Canada)

How about a prepaid visa card? Those can be bought in stores and used anywhere. I use one myself.
  • Options
    peoineepeoinee Posts: 2,183 Member

How about a prepaid visa card? Those can be bought in stores and used anywhere. I use one myself.

yep the prepaid cards would work to if you are under 18 and get an allowance or some other form of payment you may be-able to convince your parents to get one special for you to put your money on. This way you can use your random birthday/holiday/allowances to buy your sims games.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member

Origin doesn't accept Canadian ones. It will access PayPal, though, here.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,753 Member
    edited May 2015

Origin doesn't accept Canadian ones. It will access PayPal, though, here.

They're are making it harder and hard for even Canadians to access anything expect for EPs. I'm going to start writing a letter to EA saying that they need to start thing of allowing GPs and SPs to be psychial copies for those under 18 or who have no credit card and don't want parents to use there.

I started a petion on the ideas forum
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/834817/petition-to-allow-gps-and-sps-sold-in-stores-in-non-us-countries-or-at-least-ea-giftcards#latest
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    IconicIconic Posts: 427 Member
    edited May 2015
    I know how business works thank you very much. They do it help minimise costs. But can you actually say that EA really needs to re-cover costs considering how much they are making a year in Sales. And I'm not just talking about the Sims franchise here, I'm talking about across the whole of EA. They are making millions of dollars a year from us leaching from them. They can afford to do it.

Just because they can afford to do it, doesn't mean they are obligated to. Digital is simply easier and it saves money on all fronts. EA isn't going to make outgoing costs to produce physical copies for the small percentage of people who want them when they can prevent any and all outgoing cost where The Sims are concerned and do nothing but generate revenue from digital sales.

I can afford an Aston Martin. Will I buy one? No, because I have better and more important things to spend my money on.
    Yes, I am the one obsessed with Michael Myers.
    Origin ID: iRetr0
    tumblr_ph50sjUexV1r2aobgo3_540.gif
  • Options
    carlymichellecarlymichelle Posts: 3,402 Member
    its time to move with technology slow internet and games on CDs Are becoming a thing of the past