Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Want to try out mods...how do I do this

I think I want to install some Mods. How do I do that? Who can I trust to get them from? On a level of 1 to 10 on computer skills, 10 being the highest I am at a 1...so you may have to dumb this down for me.
Thanks!
[img][/img]coffee-1.jpg

Comments

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • AntoniaBaybeeAntoniaBaybee Posts: 160 Member
    @Scobre The video and link above were really helpful! Thanks for posting it :smiley:
    Also thanks to @sxyrhoose for starting this thread, I came on looking for this exact info.

I've decided to start adding Mods and CC to my game to liven it up a little more.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to your favorite mods and cc sites?
    Antonia Louise <3
  • AyumapAyumap Posts: 3,425 Member
    edited September 2015
    Making some changes to my signature so I wanted to edit this post to reflect the mods I was using and the sites I visited for cc and all of that.

*Remember to always test your custom content, organize it, note where it's from, and to move your mods folder to your desktop when you update your game. You can move it back afterwards if you feel it is safe to do so. I also suggest you routinely back up your save folder.

Mods:

MC Command Center (Mod) by Deaderpool
    • You can use this mod to alter many game play elements. Make it so townies have children, get married, move in with their spouses and also control how they handle name changes.
    • Take control of what other sims are wearing around town. Change their outfits or plan their outfits without having to enter CAS.
    • Make it so you're "active" sim households won't get and change careers. (Townies can still do this function while this is activated.
    • Delete Sim relationships, romantic & friendly, or both.
    • Take control of your population. You can decide what genders will spawn and what percentage of each age group will be generated
    • There's so much more to this mod than what's listed so I suggest reading up on it. If you have any installation questions tag me and I'll try my best to help you out. If you need any further help then I'd suggest going to the Mod creators comment section.

Lock Doors (Mod) by Scumbumbo
    • Pretty much does what you'd expect. Lock out sims be name, gender, life stage, and more. (Visitors, employees, family, ect)

Hotels (Mod) by Simmythesim
    • Haven't tried this particular mod myself.
    • From what I understand it allows your sims to live in a hotel along with other (npc) sims.
    • A quote from the mod Creator: "This adds a new Hotel venue, which sims can live on. It also invites 6 sims to act as the guests of the hotel. There is also one sim which takes care of cleaning the hotel.

I strongly advise you to download Scumbumbo's door locking mod so the hotel's guests don't constantly barge into your room.
      If you want some more hotels for your sims, search on the gallery by selecting the Hotel Lot type. I've put up the first hotel named "The Awesome Hotel", but you have to check Include Custom Content in the settings."

No Alien Abductions (Mod) by Claudiasharon
    • Makes it so sims will not be abducted. Your sims can sleep easily without having to worry about kidnappings and unwanted pregnancies.

Alien Abductions & Female Pregnancies (Mod) by Tanja1986
    • I've never tried this mod personally but I felt I should add it. Seems to add a lot of customization when it comes to aliens and how you want abductions to function. I'd suggest checking it out.
    • Note: This is not to be used with the mod by Claudiasharon and vice versa.

No Intro (Mod) by Simser der Deutschen
    • Gets rid of the Maxis intro when you start the game. Meaning the game loads straight into the "load/new game" section.

Less/No Good/Bad Surroundings Buffs (Mod) by DrChillgood
    • Make it so objects no longer give off bad or good moodlets, ect. This can help with emotional stability.

No free snacks (Mod) by newtoongamer
    • Sims will now pay for food they wouldn't normally; Quick meals and food from the Outdoor Retreat Cooler.

No Autonomous Rude/Flirty/Enchanting Introductions (Mod) by egureh
    • Pick your combination. Doesn't prevent sims from developing autonomous relationships but it does help.

Lighting Mods by Burnt Waffles
    • Alters the appearance of your game; iImproving sharpness, lighting, color, ect.

"Less or no relationship decay" (mod) by mgomez
    • Mod does what it implies, but adding information given to me by a fellow users:
    The one that adds 0 is broken. You need to use the two-file option. There's a comment on about page 13 of the mod discussion area with a link to a cfg file preset.
    I dropped the mod in and created a txt file called mgomez-relationshipdecay.cfg. I have the following values in it like this:

That slows the rate of decay to 30%

As far as I am aware MCCC simply writes the actual relationship values rather than affecting how they change during play.

Sims 4 Tools:

Sims4Studio (Tool) by the Sims4Studio Team
    • Helpful place where you can learn and create your own recolors, custom objects, poses and more.
    • You can also use this program to Merge Package Files.

ECC Finder (Tool) by MaySims
    • Can help you find the file name of the Custom Content a Sim is wearing. This is very useful when a sim is wearing a faulty piece of Custom Content that you can't identify.

No more CC for Townies (Fix) By Sims4Studio
    • Does what it implies.
    • You can choose which CC you want to be off-limits for randomly generated townies.

Beta Pose Player (Utility Tool) By Sims 4 Studio creator Andrew
    • Allows you to manually pick poses for your sims to use without having to make a default replacement.
    • More in-depth description by the creator is provided when you follow the link.

Managing and Detecting CC with Sims 4 Studio
    ...Sims 4 Studio's new beta version has added custom content management features that can help make it easier to look through your .packages and merged .packages. It allows you to open your Mods folder and sub folders in the Mods folder and look at each item in a viewer...

It's a fully supported work in progress and the plan is to keep adding new features to it. So far you can use it to change tags and delete unwanted single .packages. You can even view the individual .packages inside a merged .package with it. There's an easy step by step showing how to use it HERE. :)

Also, Sims 4 Studio forums has a growing custom content section and some very talented creators are uploading there. You don't have to be a forum member to download.

Custom Poses, Objects, Hair, and Clothing:

*Note: Anything with a star symbol (*) next to it means it's Alpha hair which has transparency. This hair is similar to the Sims 3 style and less like the Sims 4 Style. That being said it will require you to have Laptop mode off for the best look.

sssvitlans's Tumblr
    A tumblr that list all kinds of Custom Content. Objects,Skin tones, Skin Details, Clothes, Poses and more. If you need it, look here.

Maxis Match custom Content Tumblr put together by tumblr user ts4maxismatch

A list of more Custom Content sites I've visited in the past.

MaySims Hair (Custom Content Hair) by Specified Users *
    Hair by NightCrawler posted on TSR *
    Hair by Alesso posted on TSR *
    Hair by Stealthic posted on TSR *
    Hair by SintikliaSims posted on TSR *
    Hair by Cazy posted on TSR *

Miscellaneous Links Related to The Sims 4

Post edited by Ayumap on
    2m60a6q.jpg
    *There's nothing wrong with loving the Sims 4, there's also nothing wrong with seeking improvements.
    A list of Mods I use.|My Sims 4 Mod and CC "Master" post. Helpful Links included.
    Thanks @Ayumap :)
    Antonia Louise <3
    edited May 2015
    Thanks @Ayumap :)

@AntoniaBaybee

You're welcome. :). Sssvitlans' tumblr in particular has things sorted pretty well so I'm sure you can find a lead into all types of cc and sites.

It's pretty easy to go overboard downloading cc though! I suggest you make sure to organize what everything is and test what you've downloaded to make sure it wasn't poorly made (not usually something that's intentional).

Also, remember that the game loads each piece of custom content individually when you start the game and go through load screens so after you've tested things and have noted where you downloaded them from you can merge them together. (Make sure you never merge script mods though)

I use S4studio to merge packages, here's a link to a helpful tutorial:
    http://www.sims4studio.com/thread/402/merge-packages-using-sims-studio
    2m60a6q.jpg
    *There's nothing wrong with loving the Sims 4, there's also nothing wrong with seeking improvements.
    A list of Mods I use.|My Sims 4 Mod and CC "Master" post. Helpful Links included.
    Thanks so much, this is extremely helpful. I looked at some mods but a little freaked out by some of them, now I'm going to focus on CC for now, clothing, hair, make up etc and slowly build up. Your links are awesome too. I'm slowly going through them one by one.
    Antonia Louise <3
  • sxyrhoosesxyrhoose Posts: 114 Member
    Thank you so much @Ayumap and @Scobre . I am glad I am not in the boat alone @AntoniaBaybee I am still iffy about mods. For one I think it may take my pc over the edge. haha.
    [img][/img]coffee-1.jpg
    edited May 2015
    sxyrhoose wrote: »
    Thank you so much @Ayumap and @Scobre . I am glad I am not in the boat alone @AntoniaBaybee I am still iffy about mods. For one I think it may take my pc over the edge. haha.
    Your welcome. Just remember to move the mod folder before every patch so it does cause your game issues. You can just move it to a temporary location and then back after the patching is done. I move mine to the downloads folder and back several times.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    @Scobre Is there a way to know when a patch is coming?
    [img][/img]coffee-1.jpg
    @Scobre Is there a way to know when a patch is coming?
    Yeah usually through the patch notes here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/latest-patch-notes Sadly there are some surprise ones, but usually there is a post in general discussion about it. Even if the game does patch, tip I've learned is take the mod folder out and repair the game. It should work too. Repairing the game is a very nice feature for mod and CC users because even if there is a bad CC or mod you find and take it out, repairing the game can help fix it fast. I've had some patches not work before because of not taking the mod folder out which was kind of funny since it was a patch to help fix a game crashing rare bug issue I had involving the cupcake machine. MTS site is very open to talk to you about updating their mods. It's probably one of the safer mod sites I've used for the past 10 years. Full name of it is: modthesims.info
    Great info @Scobre Thank you! I have been leary of this, but really would like some more options. Thanks again for the info!!
    [img][/img]coffee-1.jpg
    Quick question @Ayumap @Scobre When you say custom content, is that where you can create things like hair clothes etc?
    [img][/img]coffee-1.jpg
    Quick question @Ayumap @Scobre When you say custom content, is that where you can create things like hair clothes etc?
    Yes. Cosmetic stuff that don't effect gameplay or tweak the game files. It is mods that tweak the game files. CC is like hair, makeup, eyes, and clothings. Mods are things like making your Sims eat faster, faster skill building, and no selfies.
    edited May 2015
    I'm going to be changing my signature soon so I just wanted to make a post leaving the things I use for the Sims 4 in case someone would like to look back on this thread in the future.

I'll just edit my initial post.

Edit: Okay fixed my post. If there are any issues let me know. i tried my best to make it readable.
    Post edited by Ayumap on
    2m60a6q.jpg